15 replies to this topic

#1 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18972 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

A few years back, my parents' PC running on Vista died. I managed to recover the HD and recently wiped it to use as an external HD.

My computer just died. Right now, I'm using an HP mini (on XP SP3) and upgraded its RAM. I want to upgrade it to Vista but am unsure if I can use the same product key on it.

So I ask this to you guys: Can I use the same key to upgrade my Mini or is my Vista disk useless now?

Edited by Internet Jesus, 29 February 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#2 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9391 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Is it your parent's old copy of Vista (I assume it's an OEM license) you wanted to use on the computer currently running XP? Assuming you have the key, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Those aren't tied to the computer they initially came on; and there shouldn't be any issues installing it on different system, assuming the same license key isn't being used simultaneously on another. If it gives you trouble activiating, calling Microsoft over the telephone activation line should resolve it in just a few minutes; it always has for me.

Honestly, though, it's easier just building a new system from scratch; even if you decide to keep Vista as opposed to buying a Windows 7 license to go with the new build. Upgraded though it may be, you'll likely find Vista will slow down that system you're on considerably, even with the fanciest of the UI elements disabled. Vista isn't nearly as bad as word of mouth made it appear, particularly not the newer service pack; but it's still not exactly easy on resources, either. One of the reasons it ran so terribly a lot of the time when it was first released is that the budget-priced PCs (the models that the average consumers inevitably buy the most of) weren't up to the task of running it.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 29 February 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#3 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Skip Vista, go directly to Windows 7.

#4 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35156 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(lostorbit @ Feb 29 2012, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#5 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13269 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(The Predaking @ Feb 29 2012, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed!

This implies having or buying a copy of 7 which would preclude needing to recycle Vista.

And yes, your product key should work fine.
PApddmT.jpg

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Citizen
  • 5781 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

the product key will let you install the OS. You may need to call the automated 800 line to register it afterwards.

#7 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55219 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Your Vista disk was useless regardless of the product key.

Seriously.. if you can't go to 7 then you should stay with XP. XP is perfectly fine and is not full of problems like Vista is.

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35156 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Dake @ Feb 29 2012, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(The Predaking @ Feb 29 2012, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed!

This implies having or buying a copy of 7 which would preclude needing to recycle Vista.

And yes, your product key should work fine.

I don't think that the Vista disk will work unless you can get the PC to fake itself to look like one of the manufacture's PCs. I think that he is going to run into problems.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#9 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1181 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Keys are not manufacture specific. They can be used on any system.

The only way you will run into problems is if your trying to use the OEM key used for the mass installs. Then you will have problems as that serial is tied to the SLIC 2.0 or 2.1 bios code. There are ways around that, I'm not saying as I'm not going to tell someone how to pirate copies using the OEM specific serial used for all installs from the factory.

Use the key on the side of the computer and you can use it anywhere on any system as long as you haven't activated another computer using that in the last 6 months. Just run the activation request or will you lose the system in 30 days and then they force you to activate.

#10 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28795 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 29 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously.. if you can't go to 7 then you should stay with XP. XP is perfectly fine and is not full of problems like Vista is.

This right here.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#11 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4743 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 29 2012, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This right here.

Yup. DO NOT INSTALL WITH VISTA. It will mess your PC up something fierce. It will likely also run incredibly slowly. Stick with XP.
On them twitters

#12 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Obtuse, view-from-nowhere contrarian attention-seeker

• Supporter
  • 17567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Well, it probably won't break itself, but it's never been shipped on a netbook, and there's a reason. Upgrading the RAM isn't going to compensate. Vista is the most resource-intensive consumer OS ever released, and netbooks are the kind of low-performance devices that Windows 7 was sold on supporting. Now, if he has special requirements for things that don't work with XP, that's another issue, but I can't imagine what that could be.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 29 February 2012 - 02:21 PM.

I went to the local Dollar Tree to pick up a few things today and noted that their entire shelf of hand sanitizer was empty. I spoke with the cashier about it, and she told me that someone from one of the schools had come in earlier that morning and cleaned them out.

Anyone else seeing runs on things like hand sanitizer in your area?

Iced tea? Uh...I dunno how long it takes. But it's a lot longer than 4 minutes.

#13 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18972 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well, I would have used the Windows 7 disk if it were 32-bit, but it's 64-bit and I still plan on repairing my main PC.

So I'm stuck with either Vista or XP.

Looks like XP is the consensus, though.

#14 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Obtuse, view-from-nowhere contrarian attention-seeker

• Supporter
  • 17567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, I mean, there are advantages to using Vista, and it does have better security and smarter drivers and so on, but even on ordinary machines, it's really a wash with XP, and it's just not intended for that kind of hardware.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 29 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.

I went to the local Dollar Tree to pick up a few things today and noted that their entire shelf of hand sanitizer was empty. I spoke with the cashier about it, and she told me that someone from one of the schools had come in earlier that morning and cleaned them out.

Anyone else seeing runs on things like hand sanitizer in your area?

Iced tea? Uh...I dunno how long it takes. But it's a lot longer than 4 minutes.

#15 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2637 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Definitely this. I still have an old laptop running on XP and it works just fine, and I haven't had any problems transferring things back and forth to my other computers running on Windows 7, even when going backwards from 7 to XP.

#16 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9391 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Conversely, the PC I'm about to retire in the next two months or so has been going strong for over 4 years with Vista installed with no crashes, viruses, malware, or any other issues in all that time. Mostly because I waited to move from XP until after the first Service Pack was released, and also because I built the system myself and didn't install garbage components in it, which tends to be what you get in most moderately-priced store-bought PCs. On a high-end machine, it's much more difficult to notice Vista's resource hogging issues.

When the Ivy Bridge chipset is released in the next few months, I'll be building a new system around the Core i7 3770K. I've been putting off upgrading to 7 until then, as Vista still seems quite serviceable on this machine.

But on a system as old as the one being discussed here, as I mentioned in my first reply, upgraded RAM won't really be enough to prevent a very large performance drop-off with Vitsa.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 01 March 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users