- - - - -

GPS Prevention

36 replies to this topic

#21 Robowang

Robowang
  • Citizen
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I was a bit worried when taking out the screws, but it ended up being fine. I suppose "mileage may vary" when attempting a fix/solution.

What I really need is access to a 3D scanner. I know someone with access to a 3D printer (the good kind!) and I would LOVE to start reproducing gold plastic G1/G2 parts.

raphfingersmall_zps9ea046f5.jpg

Attention rich people: Complete/loose G1 collection for sale $20,000. Includes all figures and accessories from U.S. G1

My Wants List
Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs
My feedback

#22 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4735 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

There's also repro parts like Darkov on tfw2005 does. For example I think he has (or at least had) a Black Zarak kit.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#23 Aernaroth

Aernaroth
  • Protoform
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

In theory, these fractures happen at a space where stress is applied, and especially in areas where stress is concentrated due to the shape of the material (right angled corners, regions that narrow, nubs, etc.). So in theory, removing the shape factor that causes the stress concentration, or disassembling the piece such that it is no longer under stress should reduce the chance of fracture or collapse. However, as has been stated, this implies that the piece can be modified or disassembled without exceeding the critical stress for fracture, which may not be the case if physical properties have been compromised by the GPS process.

Will this solve the problem? No. The material will still be at the same risk of fracture or failure. However, the one silver lining in gold plastic is that in many examples, failure occurs at a consistent location. This, at least to me, means stress concentrators are probably playing a role in those spots, and may be exacerbated by shape factors, decohesion, and possibly even casting conditions. So knowing what to watch out for might make it easier to hold onto a complete figure.

Edited by Aernaroth, 29 February 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#24 tec

tec

Railgun on the run

• Citizen
  • 15030 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thank you Aernaroth aka Preceptor

Hot Rod: In other words... Your jive might turn to power anyways

#25 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Beast Mayhem Hangoutcateer

• Citizen
  • 22226 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

my Transmetal Megatron is still fine...

course he suffers from the sister sickness Bronze Plastic plague ...not your standard gps
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

#26 CORVUS

CORVUS

Yeah, shut up, kid!

• Supporter
  • 28712 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Feb 29 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's also repro parts like Darkov on tfw2005 does. For example I think he has (or at least had) a Black Zarak kit.

Darkov is dropping out of the repro parts business, perhaps permanently.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#27 Specimen-17

Specimen-17

In case of emergency, break dance

• Supporter
  • 8079 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Robowang @ Feb 29 2012, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was a bit worried when taking out the screws, but it ended up being fine. I suppose "mileage may vary" when attempting a fix/solution.

Of course, don't get me wrong, I've dismantled several figures which have been fine as well, but it's just one of those things you can't bet on. Loosening screws may stave off GPS for a while longer, or it might just break it there and then.

Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

Yeah, shut up, kid!

• Supporter
  • 28712 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

This just in: all 2013 Generations figures to be made of painted-over swirly, sparkly, gold plastic.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#29 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27942 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Feb 29 2012, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Spark @ Feb 28 2012, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last time GPS popped up would be Micromaster Superion. I'd hoped it would have been the last.

Ah man, that doesn't make me happy to learn. I thought G2 Slingshot and Torca were the only ones I had to worry about in my collection. icon-screamer.gif

QUOTE(Benbot @ Feb 29 2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have a list of recent figures (made in the last 10 years, not reissues) that suffer from this problem?

That'd actually be a very short list. Off the top of my head, between 2002 and now, only two mass market figures have used GPS-prone plastic, that being Cybertron Repugnus (although his gold parts aren't under much stress and don't really need to move, so they probably will be okay) and Micromaster Superion who is loaded with it. Almost all the white combiner parts are actually swirly gold plastic painted over in white. There were already reports of breakage as of last year, specifically in the clips that hold the fists on.

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 29 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This just in: all 2013 Generations figures to be made of painted-over swirly, sparkly, gold plastic.

Cue official Transformers sad trombone. Again...

Edited by Spark, 29 February 2012 - 11:58 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#30 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4735 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE(Spark @ Feb 29 2012, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cybertron Repugnus

... you're kidding!! Oh man.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#31 Cat

Cat

Potato

• News and Content
  • 8568 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

I remember some people having problems with the protoform Starscream (or maybe it was Optimus) from the first movie preview wave. People were worried about it there.

And movie 1 Scorponok's tail. The small version that came with Blackout, I think? Something like that?

I remember people saying they had problems with both, and speculating GPS.

#32 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4735 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I think the movie Scorponok that had tail problems is the Legends one.
QUOTE(kyde)

#33 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 5557 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Cat @ Mar 1 2012, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember some people having problems with the protoform Starscream (or maybe it was Optimus) from the first movie preview wave. People were worried about it there.

And movie 1 Scorponok's tail. The small version that came with Blackout, I think? Something like that?

If memory serves, one guy reported his Protoform Starscream going through GPS-like symptoms, and that was after he did some custom painting with it. May not be the same thing.
William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.

#34 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Eyes to fill your soul with dread, the fury of the hammerhead

• Citizen
  • 16754 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Scorponok was the Legends version, and it wasn't GPS. It's the rubbery plastic drying out and cracking apart. The result isn't much different, though.

#35 tec

tec

Railgun on the run

• Citizen
  • 15030 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

My movie 1 Protoform Starscream in in my neices and nefuws toy box if something breaks I will let you know its been there sence the 1st movie came out on DVD

And nothings broke on it yet

#36 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2423 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

My BW10 Dinobot pretty much disintegrated.
And I'm afraid to transform my protoform Starscream just because of his color.
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#37 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27942 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

What Echowarrior and TMM said is correct. The Protoform Starscream was a false alarm that's turned into a persistent scare.

QUOTE(RCX @ Mar 1 2012, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My BW10 Dinobot pretty much disintegrated.
And I'm afraid to transform my protoform Starscream just because of his color.

Um... 10 Anniversary BW Dinobot isn't really gold, and I've never read about it falling apart. I don't even recall his plastic being swirly. How did it happen?
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users