Entertainment Earth

Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 02:39 PM)

the debate sems to be over.

@  MEDdMI : (24 August 2016 - 02:37 PM)

Wouldn't it be easier to debate this in the comics subforum?

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 01:31 PM)

I don't have anything else to say (although I still think G2 is the true ending, even if G I Joe doesn't mention it, it seems G I Joe/G2 crossover isn't canon for G I Joe comics but only for the Transformers continuity)

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 01:29 PM)

ok whatever you won.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 01:27 PM)

that's why I said "if", I dunno I didn't read G2 or G I Joe. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 01:26 PM)

Also,you're still basing this entirely on G2 matching a storyline that was part of G2 itself rather than whether or not G2 matches better with the G1 comic proper.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 01:24 PM)

The idea kind of falls apart when it requires that the apocalyptic alien invasions had such little impact that everyone easily just ignored forever.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 01:17 PM)

If some issues of G I Joe comics is a prelude to G2 and if there's nothing in the future G I Joe stories that condradicts San Francisco getting destroyed, yes I would say they share a continuity. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 01:02 PM)

If you're gonna go "we can assume it did happen even though it's never talked about as long as nothing specifically contradicts it", then surely it's just as easy to assume that the actual G1 TF and Joe crossover happened in the backstory of Classics and RG1.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 01:02 PM)

also I refrained from mentioning Ask Vector Prime but but didn't it say RG1 is a splinter timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:58 PM)

has san francisco ever appeared in G I Joe stories that was chronologically set after G2?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:55 PM)

Intent is not the same as result. And comics end up ignoring things quite often.

@  Telly : (24 August 2016 - 12:54 PM)

maybe they figured a lot of people that read gi joe also read transformers. so they throw a crossover/build up in their to get some excitement for the new comic coming

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:51 PM)

If G2 universe was to be unrelated to G I Joe, why did they do a prelude to it?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:33 PM)

Classics and RG1 not including Joe issues 138-145 in their backstory does not preclude them from including TF 1-80, or even the Joe and TF miniseries.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 August 2016 - 12:30 PM)

Marvel 616 is also a massive continuity snarl from dozens of writers altering, retconning, or ignoring each others' work for decades, so it's not really a great example for an argument on continuity.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:29 PM)

Marvel 616 continuity is a shared universe, devastating events happens in individual series but does mean every event gets mentioned in other comics? @Notvery knightly, yeah that's why I edited that post.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:27 PM)

Your proof for "TF universe = Joe universe" itself is the G2 lead-up, so your reasoning still goes back to G2 matching G2.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 August 2016 - 12:25 PM)

So did GI Joe ever reference the time Bludgeon sent his entire force to rampage across the Earth? Or the time Jhiaxus blew San Francisco into a crater?

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:25 PM)

whatever.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:22 PM)

Are you not seeing the recursiveness of "G2 is the true G1 sequel because G2 follows up on a G2 storyline"?

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:18 PM)

Yeah it has been established that Marvel Transformers and G I Joe comics takes place in the same universe. Unless 90s G I Joe was a reboot I'm pretty sure the G2 crossing over to a G I Joe comic that takes place in the very same universe as the original Transformers makes G2 the canon ending.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:16 PM)

A crossover that the Joe comic apparently ignored.

@  Arazyr : (24 August 2016 - 12:15 PM)

They had a crossover before that, 1986. http://tfwiki.net/wi...he_Transformers

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:15 PM)

Did G.I. Joe acknowledge the planet getting wrecked by the Swarm? Because otherwise it's more like "Marvel Transformers is the same universe as Marvel G.I. Joe only when they feel like it".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 12:11 PM)

You're using the G.I. Joe G2 prequel itself as the basis for "Marvel Transformers universe is the same universe as the Marvel G I Joe", which makes this a rather loopy argument.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 12:07 PM)

As I said before, Marvel Transformers universe is the same universe as the Marvel G I Joe. Marvel G I Joe crossovers with G2, which makes G2 the canon ending. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 11:59 AM)

How is that relevant to whether or not RG1 (or Classics, even) takes place after issues 1 through 80 of Marvel TF proper?

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 11:51 AM)

it's a prequel to G2, which makes it the same universe as G2.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 11:48 AM)

That's clearly not in G2 itself, seeing as it's G.I. Joe issue 138.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 11:45 AM)

@NotVrtyKnightly Im talking about these issues. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Unfoldings!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 August 2016 - 11:30 AM)

Now for my part, I consider Marvel G2/Alignment the "true" ending because of Simon Furman's involvement in it, its continuous narrative with Marvel G1, and its sequential publication.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 August 2016 - 11:28 AM)

The nature of multiple spinoffs/branching timelines means that to call any one spinoff the "true" ending is an arbitrary decision.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 11:16 AM)

Joe doesn't take place "in G2". Even their Marvel TF-related history isn't confined entirely to a single publication from the 90s.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 11:08 AM)

Look, oirignal Marvel Transformers takes place in the same universe as G I Joe and G I Joe takes place in the same universe as G2, which makes G2 the true canon ending.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 11:07 AM)

And it's not like anyone would argue that Rebirth wasn't actually the fourth season of the Sunbow cartoon entirely based on the lack of Ramirez and Old Snake.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 11:07 AM)

No you don't get it, I'm not saying RG1 is "less true" because G I Joe doesn't show up.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 10:54 AM)

Also, it's set decades later and earth was wrecked. Surely you don't need an explanation of why the Joes don't show up.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 10:53 AM)

None of that makes RG1 less "true".

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 10:41 AM)

How is it odd? G I joe and Transformers are canonically in the same continuty. Marvel Transformers continuity is a shared universe. G I Joe is canon and they had a crossover with G2, which makes it canon too, simple as that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 09:30 AM)

an odd thing to say, surely.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 August 2016 - 09:30 AM)

If you haven't read them, picking one over the other because of the presence of G.I. Joes is just

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 09:24 AM)

Also even though it's not officially published, I believe Alignment is canon since it was referenced in Ask Vector Prime and Allspark Almanac.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 09:22 AM)

I don't have an opinion on neither G2 or RG1 since I didn't read them.

@  Dracula : (24 August 2016 - 07:54 AM)

G2 was kind of miserable but even that is preferable to RG1.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 07:14 AM)

I don't think RG1 is the true ending to the Marvel because G. I Joe was in the same continuity as Transformers and they had a crossover with G2, not RG1 (obviously RG1 didn't exist back then). So G2/Alignment is the true ending.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 August 2016 - 02:20 AM)

Why do you hate yourself?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (24 August 2016 - 12:45 AM)

I still need to read everything after Vol. 1 of RG1...

@  Telly : (23 August 2016 - 11:47 PM)

i really wouldve liked to see rg1 pick up where the marvel run left off (or just a couple years after), instead of jumping 20 years. i wanna see how shit went down on earth

@  Dracula : (23 August 2016 - 09:54 PM)

After RG1, I'd just as soon have nobody ever touch the marvel continuity again

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Who's your favorite Obscure Transformer?

43 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

Blinded by the Light

• Citizen
  • 17840 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Everyone has a favorite obscure Transformer who they really love. Some of these guys ended up becoming so popular, in fact, they became equal to the heavy hitters in newer fiction or toylines. Nightbeat, Straxus, Bludgeon, and Sunstorm are examples of this.

Of course, there are some who haven't recieved such good luck yet. And my favorite obscure TF has gotta be Flatline.

What can I say about Flatline? Up until Knock Out was created, he was probably the most fan-loved Decepticon medic. Scalpel and Hook may have been the most well-known, and Glit was repurpsoed into SG Ravage, but Flatline? Well, he's pretty much what I think a 'Con medic should be. A twisted, sadistic monster, Flatline delights in performing horrific experiments on his patients. He's one of the most utterly evil Decepticons in the franchise history, rivalled only by Lockdown, Tarantulas, and Airachnid, and that's one of the reasons he's so great. He goes about his evil business with a cold, scientific detachment. He's absolutely horrifying in character, and that's what makes him what I think of when I imagine Decepticon medic - someone who's more mad scientist than actual doctor - and my favorite obscure TF.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#2 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Crosscut. Crosscut was in fact the spur that made me want to create the Obscure Transformers Website. And certainly characters like Bludgeon or Nightbeat would *NEVER* have made it as 'obscures' for my website. They were FAR too well known. In fact I considered anyone with a toy to be far too well known to be considered obscure. Even back at the very beginnings of the fandom people were talking about and discussing even the most esoteric of TF toys. But Crosscut? Not so much.

Crosscut is without doubt my favourite Obscure TF.
--Andrew S.
(Guy didn't even get a colour scheme until recently!)

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#3 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 919 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Megadeath.

I mean, I was just a kid, it was pretty much my first encounter with the comic continuity, and in a text story, and I was young enough to have to get my dad to read it to me, and here was this con who was so creepy, so insane, as to pretty much be left to die by the other cons.
And what's more, that story had him reduce some great autobots to their worst moment. Where they just couldn't raise a hand to stop him.

#4 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 33437 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Is Sixknight obscure?

#5 Fishbug

Fishbug

toot toot

• Citizen
  • 11089 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

In the age of TFWiki, is anybody obscure anymore?
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#6 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 3357 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Octus, though I admit that's primarily because of his alternate mode.

#7 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Supporter
  • 2837 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Macabre. Don't know why, but I have a little liking for him. Besides, he has a sweet name.

#8 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 19496 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

TGTLSSTCTDAH.

The Guy That Looks Suspiciously Similar To Crosscut That Dies After Him.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#9 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh. I remember when Lee Sullivan emailed Monz and Me after reading our page on Octus. Discovering that he was a Dalek was such an "Oh, OF COURSE!" moment.

--Andrew S.

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#10 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I am not Sam

• Supporter
  • 9109 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is required response, of course...

Although, Swindler came to mind first.

nzo8WYb.png

#11 Kalidor

Kalidor

Freedom is the Right of All Synthetic Beings

• Owner
  • 58504 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

card-mindwipe.jpg

#12 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11187 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Jackpot.

Love the design.

Looking For Master Replicas .45 Scale Luke Skywalker ROTJ Lightsabre

#13 tec

tec

Seriously fun

• Supporter
  • 23670 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Sunrunner

Gunrunner gets little to no love in fiction

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg

#14 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 9447 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sunspot, the incompetent but good-natured Decepticon scatterbrain. It's rare to find a Decepticon who's just happy.

#15 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 32745 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Countdown. He's the Autobots' greatest leader that no one cares about, much less remembers.

Runners-up would be Quickswitch, since he's like Sixshot, but losing his mind as a side effect of his own abilities. And bonus points for the commercial saying that he's Sixshot's son making up for his father's evil ways. Second would probably be BW Skyshadow, the Predacon statesman, which is just such a bizarre function for a guy with a missile in his mouth.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#16 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

yes please!

• Supporter
  • 42689 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Eagle eye
With Takara's current cheesecakey track record, I don't doubt she fires the Fusion Railgun on her back by bending over at the waist and blushing o//o

#17 Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Scrounge

All "Smelting Pool" arc seems amazing to me (and probably is the biggest source of Obscure Transformers). Scrounge character is better developed and is more important to the plot than many "character with toys". I have some love for Spanner, too; but Scrounge still wins.

#18 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 2237 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

The unnamed crab Decepticon in "RotF: The Veiled Threat." He didn't really do anything, but I like crab robots and I liked that chapter of the book. He quietly infiltrates a military base, gets some info, and quietly departs. No flash or bang, but I liked the emphasis on being stealthy and hiding in plain sight. The chapter with the crab spy is completely out of place and adds absolutely nothing to the story. Felt more like the author just felt like tossing something random in that he thought would be cool. And it was. Wound up being the only stand-out moment in the entire book.

Crab Spy

Edited by Mako Crab, 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#19 CORVUS

CORVUS

Can you hear the thunder thatís breaking?

• Supporter
  • 30620 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 26 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

card_grandmaximus.jpg

#20 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Scarem. I just love the little guy. I want an army of his mold.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users