Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Who's your favorite Obscure Transformer?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Bang.

• Citizen
  • 13562 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Everyone has a favorite obscure Transformer who they really love. Some of these guys ended up becoming so popular, in fact, they became equal to the heavy hitters in newer fiction or toylines. Nightbeat, Straxus, Bludgeon, and Sunstorm are examples of this.

Of course, there are some who haven't recieved such good luck yet. And my favorite obscure TF has gotta be Flatline.

What can I say about Flatline? Up until Knock Out was created, he was probably the most fan-loved Decepticon medic. Scalpel and Hook may have been the most well-known, and Glit was repurpsoed into SG Ravage, but Flatline? Well, he's pretty much what I think a 'Con medic should be. A twisted, sadistic monster, Flatline delights in performing horrific experiments on his patients. He's one of the most utterly evil Decepticons in the franchise history, rivalled only by Lockdown, Tarantulas, and Airachnid, and that's one of the reasons he's so great. He goes about his evil business with a cold, scientific detachment. He's absolutely horrifying in character, and that's what makes him what I think of when I imagine Decepticon medic - someone who's more mad scientist than actual doctor - and my favorite obscure TF.
QUOTE(Detour @ Sep 13 2013, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depresses me when I see kids getting the intelligent cartoons and "adults" getting the most immature garbage ever animated.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#2 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2823 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Crosscut. Crosscut was in fact the spur that made me want to create the Obscure Transformers Website. And certainly characters like Bludgeon or Nightbeat would *NEVER* have made it as 'obscures' for my website. They were FAR too well known. In fact I considered anyone with a toy to be far too well known to be considered obscure. Even back at the very beginnings of the fandom people were talking about and discussing even the most esoteric of TF toys. But Crosscut? Not so much.

Crosscut is without doubt my favourite Obscure TF.
--Andrew S.
(Guy didn't even get a colour scheme until recently!)

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#3 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Megadeath.

I mean, I was just a kid, it was pretty much my first encounter with the comic continuity, and in a text story, and I was young enough to have to get my dad to read it to me, and here was this con who was so creepy, so insane, as to pretty much be left to die by the other cons.
And what's more, that story had him reduce some great autobots to their worst moment. Where they just couldn't raise a hand to stop him.

#4 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31726 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Is Sixknight obscure?

#5 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9190 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

In the age of TFWiki, is anybody obscure anymore?

#6 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 2062 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Octus, though I admit that's primarily because of his alternate mode.
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: more comprehensive than Teletraan I, longer lasting than Teletraan II, not as violent as Teletraan 10.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#7 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Citizen
  • 2729 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Macabre. Don't know why, but I have a little liking for him. Besides, he has a sweet name.

#8 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 17130 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

TGTLSSTCTDAH.

The Guy That Looks Suspiciously Similar To Crosscut That Dies After Him.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#9 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2823 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh. I remember when Lee Sullivan emailed Monz and Me after reading our page on Octus. Discovering that he was a Dalek was such an "Oh, OF COURSE!" moment.

--Andrew S.

Edited by Boltax, 26 February 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#10 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3096 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 26 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is required response, of course...

Although, Swindler came to mind first.

0n39.png

#11 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54280 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

Order your Guardians of the Galaxy tickets from now until August 4th from Fandango and you not only help The Allspark, but you also get entered in a chance to win original movie props from Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers movies.

#12 Cat

Cat

Knows No Title

• News and Content
  • 7855 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Jackpot.

Love the design.

#13 tec

tec

Fedy cuties

• Citizen
  • 14737 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Sunrunner

Gunrunner gets little to no love in fiction

#14 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8276 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sunspot, the incompetent but good-natured Decepticon scatterbrain. It's rare to find a Decepticon who's just happy.

#15 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27435 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Countdown. He's the Autobots' greatest leader that no one cares about, much less remembers.

Runners-up would be Quickswitch, since he's like Sixshot, but losing his mind as a side effect of his own abilities. And bonus points for the commercial saying that he's Sixshot's son making up for his father's evil ways. Second would probably be BW Skyshadow, the Predacon statesman, which is just such a bizarre function for a guy with a missile in his mouth.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#16 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

symmetrical docking ...Henshin!

• Citizen
  • 22148 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Eagle eye

#17 Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger
  • Supporter
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Scrounge

All "Smelting Pool" arc seems amazing to me (and probably is the biggest source of Obscure Transformers). Scrounge character is better developed and is more important to the plot than many "character with toys". I have some love for Spanner, too; but Scrounge still wins.

WANTED: Animated MTMTE for Botcon 2015

#18 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 2130 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

The unnamed crab Decepticon in "RotF: The Veiled Threat." He didn't really do anything, but I like crab robots and I liked that chapter of the book. He quietly infiltrates a military base, gets some info, and quietly departs. No flash or bang, but I liked the emphasis on being stealthy and hiding in plain sight. The chapter with the crab spy is completely out of place and adds absolutely nothing to the story. Felt more like the author just felt like tossing something random in that he thought would be cool. And it was. Wound up being the only stand-out moment in the entire book.

Crab Spy

Edited by Mako Crab, 26 February 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#19 CORVUS

CORVUS

Its showtime, folks!

• Supporter
  • 28366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 26 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always liked Scrounge.

People talk about how dated Soundwave is.. Scrounge was a guy who was supposed to have this super sophisticated spying implements in his arm that amounted to a *wired* camera AND a *wired* microphone as two different devices.

But he was a cool guy, with some cool skills (That could stand to be updated) and he died a horrible death.

I actually felt a bit of grief reading his story, so that was some good writing I suppose.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#20 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32043 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Scarem. I just love the little guy. I want an army of his mold.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users