Upgrade failures

149 replies to this topic

#1 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

In talk about Hall of Fame nominees recently I saw some people comment on Beast Machines Silverbolt being a worse toy that the Beast Wars one. I wouldn't argue that either, as I like the Beast Wars (and his Universe recolor" much better than the rainbow chickenhawk.

This got me thinking, what are the biggest failures in releasing "upgrades" existing characters? One that came to mind for me was Armada Thundercracker and Skywarp. The Cybertron toys were such disappointments. What comes to your mind?

#2 Exillion

Exillion
  • Citizen
  • 904 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Feb 24 2012, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In talk about Hall of Fame nominees recently I saw some people comment on Beast Machines Silverbolt being a worse toy that the Beast Wars one. I wouldn't argue that either, as I like the Beast Wars (and his Universe recolor" much better than the rainbow chickenhawk.

This got me thinking, what are the biggest failures in releasing "upgrades" existing characters? One that came to mind for me was Armada Thundercracker and Skywarp. The Cybertron toys were such disappointments. What comes to your mind?

As Silverbolt is my favorite BW/BM next to Rhinox, I always hated the BM toy as it was not a fitting update for the birddog and was happy when repaint of the original toy in his techno-organic color scheme showed up.

As for other upgrades gone bad, I would say Cheetor from the Universe line and Rattrap from the BM line. Seems like Maximal toys didn't measure up once BM started.

Edited by Exillion, 24 February 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Knowledge combined with experience are the building blocks to enlightenment.

#3 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Guided by the wind

• Citizen
  • 2086 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Armada -> Universe Hot Shot? I like the updated version somewhat, but it's hard to argue that we went from a slightly-immobile, but solidly-playable toy to a highly articulated, but floppy figure with clearance issues in his back kibble and a Mini-Con that can no longer stand on its own. icon-op.gif

#4 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2857 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Universe Cheetor and Universe Dinobot are both lesser "upgrades" they do some things 'better', than their original toys -- but one vitally important part is missing... any sense of fun or enjoyment. They're just not fun to play with.

--Andrew S.

#5 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Savior of the Digital World

• Citizen
  • 13888 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Most of the figures I really wanted to like from Universe (Galvatron, Cheetor, Hot Shot, Dinobot) were pretty awful.

Also, there's the whole deal of Leader Bulkhead, while being a fun toy, just wasn't as fun for me as the Voyager version.
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#6 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 1984 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Universe & Classics have quite a few IMO: Galvatron, Grimlock, Cheetor, Dinobot, Tracks.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#7 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 45967 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Universe Cheetor definitely.

#8 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Savior of the Digital World

• Citizen
  • 13888 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(Kup @ Feb 25 2012, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Universe & Classics have quite a few IMO: Galvatron, Grimlock, Cheetor, Dinobot, Tracks.

I never bought Tracks, but that mold was perfect as Wheeljack icon-ironhide.gif
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#9 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12232 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Definitely Universe Cheetor. I never had original Galvatron, but it's pretty obvious the Universe one is full of fail even without having the original.
Universe Hot shot comes close to being better, but does have some issues. Jolt, on the other hand, has clearly become much worse.

I do like Universe Dinobot better. Those switchable hands... I guess it helps that I never cared for the original mold all that much.

If we can count characters from one movie to the next, Voyager Ironhides.... I didn't think the DOTM was as good as the old mold.

Battle in a Box Prime doesn't seem as good to me as the original toy. And without his trailer, Powermaster Prime isn't anywhere near as good as the original.

#10 tec

tec

Gundam Cutie

• Citizen
  • 14910 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Classics Galvatron So bad I had to own it twice to make sure it was really bad
I hope one day they retry him in a movie accrate way

#11 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 1984 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Spin Out @ Feb 25 2012, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kup @ Feb 25 2012, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never bought Tracks, but that mold was perfect as Wheeljack icon-ironhide.gif

Exactly. Besides the head and bring blue, it wasn't a good tracks. But as Jackie? Perfection.

Also: Blurr
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#12 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2857 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think I want to add some of the Action Masters to this list. I'm not going to trash ALL the Action Masters -- a lot of people really like them. But I think there's TWO Action Masters in particular who are a SERIOUS downgrade from the original toys.

Blaster and Soundwave.

While there's a definite compensation with, say, Snarl, because he comes with Tyrannitron... it's just not the case with Soundwave and Blaster! Those two already *HAD* little partner robots, and their little partner robots were actually way better than the Action Master partners. I really do think Blaster and Soundwave were massively downgraded thanks to Nucleon.

--Andrew S.
(On the other hand, Action Master Thundercracker? Massive upgrade. Action Master Starscream is... kind of a lateral move from the Pretender.)

Edited by Boltax, 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#13 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2857 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Oh, I also want to add the original Legends figures -- the Pretender Classics that were repackaged without their Pretender shells. While Starscream and Bumblebee were definite upgrades, Grimlock and Jazz were DEFINITELY downgrades.

That said, add the Pretender Shells and there's no doubting that the Pretender Classics are way better than the originals. It's just those ones where they released them WITHOUT their shells that I take issue with. That's insane.

--Andrew S.
(Also... I don't know that even with his Pretender shell that Grimlock is an improvement. As much as I like the Pretender play pattern, the original Grimlock is just a really appealing toy.)

#14 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8492 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't un upgrade of the original. He looks just like the G1, but now has articulation and storage for weapons. I think the only weak part might be the flying car mode.

#15 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12665 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Classics Jetfire is a lateral move from the original Bandai toy at best.

Arm articulation aside, I feel that RtS Jazz is inferior to Binaltech Meister both in terms of engineering and sculpting.

RtS G2 Prime is vastly inferior to Laser Optimus in every conceivable way, and doesn't even have an excuse for the one flaw both share (colors) since he's not gang molded with a huge trailer.

Rodimus Prime is a pretty lame toy compared to Hot Rod.

I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't an upgrade of the original

Well, sure. But it's perhaps no better than the Binaltech version, and arguably worse.

Edited by Dante, 25 February 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#16 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2719 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

BM Rattrap is by far my favorite Rattrap toy. I really wish we'd ever gotten a redeco of it, maybe as someone a little more feral.

The Ravage that came with Universe Hound is worse at everything than the G1 Ravage toy except for "being three-dimensional", and has a ridculous bird head to boot.

#17 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I kind of want to say Energon Rodimus, just because of the weird proportions so it can be a pair of pants. I know some people really like the mold, and while I don't regard it strictly as an upgrade failure, I don't at all see it as an upgrade success. Energon Prowl kind of qualifies for the same reason, although that's not as obvious an upgrade attempt that pushes the G1 buttons like Rodimus does.

As has been mentioned, Classics Galvatron definitely qualifies. I like the figure, but it's definitely a failure at delivering what it promises. Way too complicated transformation that's made worse by it being at a deluxe scale, and which also really kills the aesthetics and leg articulation. I keep hoping we'll get a G1 toon Galvatron recolor of the smaller Energon Megatron mold.

Blurr isn't so much an upgrade failure as it's a non-G1 Blurr. I see what they were trying to do, and I think they accomplished it, but there's still a hole in my G1 movie cast.

Also, Classics Powerglide.

#18 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22667 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Feb 25 2012, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't un upgrade of the original. He looks just like the G1, but now has articulation and storage for weapons. I think the only weak part might be the flying car mode.

Except he doesn't, he looks like some chunky body builder when compared to his original slender frame. He's boxy and ugly, maybe if the roof didn't take up 150% of his chest he might look better.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#19 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8492 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Database @ Feb 25 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except he doesn't, he looks like some chunky body builder when compared to his original slender frame. He's boxy and ugly, maybe if the roof didn't take up 150% of his chest he might look better.

He is boxier, that's for sure. However, I still don't consider him at all to be an "upgrade failure."

I also think he's a better toy than the alternator. The alt had the fake chest and was awful at dealing with kibble. I mean, I still like the mold (especially the Ravage version), but I almost wish they had gone back and put the Tracks head on a blue version of Alt. Sideswipe. Yeah, his leg movement might be crippled, but he's not a car explosion when viewed from the back.

Also, I prefer Animated leader Bulkhead to the voyager. It's a great toy.

#20 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22667 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Feb 25 2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Database @ Feb 25 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is boxier, that's for sure. However, I still don't consider him at all to be an "upgrade failure."

I also think he's a better toy than the alternator. The alt had the fake chest and was awful at dealing with kibble. I mean, I still like the mold (especially the Ravage version), but I almost wish they had gone back and put the Tracks head on a blue version of Alt. Sideswipe. Yeah, his leg movement might be crippled, but he's not a car explosion when viewed from the back.

Also, I prefer Animated leader Bulkhead to the voyager. It's a great toy.

I prefer the Alt for the fake chest, becuase it keeps his lithe athletic look. If he wasn't larger then most voyagers he'd be my preferred version.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users