Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  BlackMax : (03 December 2016 - 08:25 AM)

I'm still exploring all the possible mods for the PC version of Fallout New Vegas.

@  Pennpenn : (02 December 2016 - 11:03 PM)

So what, my species is perfectly happy to completely obliterate an undeveloped species to make servants, go full on ADVENT on more developed worlds, but for the middle of the road species suddenly my hands ar tied? Bah.

@  Pennpenn : (02 December 2016 - 10:58 PM)

It's annoying in Stellaris how "Pre-sentient" life forms can be Uplifted (turned into sentient and loyal races) and pre-space age civs can be messed around with and taken over, but you can't do anything about "Stone Age Primitives" so they just end up as a permanent debuff to a planet and end up squatting in valuable tiles.

@  Verity Carlo : (02 December 2016 - 10:53 PM)

To put it simply, everyone is in a race to become god.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (02 December 2016 - 10:42 PM)

I'm playing Tales of Zestiria instead.

@  Touch My Thighs : (02 December 2016 - 10:10 PM)

So basically I'm 15 hours into Final Fantasy XV and it seems like they took the edgy FF7-style game they were going to make, threw it out and made something actually fun instead.

@  BlackMax : (02 December 2016 - 09:29 PM)

...and now that I've sat home a short bit I realize I completely forgot to look for Ross, TJ MAXX or Marshalls in the area. Damn.

@  ShadowMan024 : (02 December 2016 - 09:20 PM)

I envy you.

@  BlackMax : (02 December 2016 - 09:17 PM)

Just found RiD Warriors Bisk and Ratchet, plus TR Hot Rod, while hunting. It was a good night.

@  ShadowMan024 : (02 December 2016 - 08:28 PM)

"You hugin' people..."

@  Strafe : (02 December 2016 - 07:36 PM)

I liked that one, too. I'm not a fan of the guy at all, but "A Few Good Men" is still one of my all-time favorite movies. He's fantastic as Lt. Daniel Kaffee.

@  Kalidor : (02 December 2016 - 06:24 PM)

Tom Cruise sucks but I really did enjoy Edge of Tomorrow

@  Benbot : (02 December 2016 - 03:57 PM)

What? They made a new Mummy movie and cast Tom Cruise? I love Cruise, but isn't he kind of expensive? Kind of stupid to rely on his star power to boost a new franchise instead of...like...good writing? I hope it had both, but I'm not holding my breath.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 11:36 PM)

Now if only I could get one of my GoG games to work right (well series of games) :(

@  Kalidor : (01 December 2016 - 11:24 PM)

Thanks, I picked it up. Worth it for the soundtrack alone

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 10:01 PM)

GoG is awsome.

@  wonko the sane? : (01 December 2016 - 08:07 PM)

woot woot, thank you kindly!

@  Dekafox : (01 December 2016 - 07:42 PM)

Head's up, GOG has Neverwinter Nights up for free for about another 30 hours or so

@  Verity Carlo : (01 December 2016 - 07:30 PM)

the men who murdered my imaginary friends

@  Locoman : (01 December 2016 - 05:30 PM)

I'm coming, Baby Legs! I'm.... Regular... Legs!

@  Benbot : (01 December 2016 - 04:05 PM)

What are you worried about, come get fake doors!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (01 December 2016 - 02:07 PM)

I just found out that Blue from Blue's Clues is a girl. Whoa.

@  Bass X0 : (01 December 2016 - 01:14 PM)

Holy Magikrap!

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 08:45 AM)

Also, TR Triggerhappy is a good mold.

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 07:34 AM)

I should have said "not staying together", but anyway.

@  unluckiness : (01 December 2016 - 06:50 AM)

My Astrotrain had that but some floor polish on the tabs helped.

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 06:48 AM)

On the subject of recalcitrant TR voyagers, does anyone else have an issue with Sentinel Prime's legs staying together in space-brick mode?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 03:40 AM)

Holy crap or holy carp? ;)

@  BlackMax : (30 November 2016 - 08:41 PM)

...holy crap it works!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 07:14 PM)

Hold the button (orange spot) on his chest and push them down till they click.

@  BlackMax : (30 November 2016 - 06:05 PM)

The horns can never be kept down! \m/. >_< .\m/

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 04:19 PM)

I was about to say.. I have no problem getting him to stay together in any mode. The horns was the worst thing for me. But I got that fixed.

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:26 PM)

...and I just figured that out too

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:24 PM)

Oh, hey, I figured it out. Now if I can just find a way to get his upper and lower body to stay pegged together in robot mode I'll be in business.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 November 2016 - 12:12 PM)

Cold showers.

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:11 PM)

Oh, what's the trick to getting his horns to stay down?

@  unluckiness : (30 November 2016 - 08:26 AM)

Alolan baristas say the darndest things

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 08:26 AM)

I like Alpha trion. Just gotta see if his horns will stay down now that I learned the trick.

@  Robowang : (30 November 2016 - 07:55 AM)

Alpha Trion is awesome. Fun transformation, beefy robot mode, sweet sword, amazing headsculpt, and great colors.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 November 2016 - 05:48 AM)

Why? Alpha Trion is pretty cool, even with some flaws. He reminds me of BW2 designs.

@  unitremover : (29 November 2016 - 11:34 PM)

I should've listened to what everybody else said about Alpha Trion and not gotten lured in by the sweet siren call of a new toy evoking Vector Prime

@  Msol : (29 November 2016 - 10:12 PM)

Hot damn Astrotrain is way better than I was expecting.

@  BlackMax : (29 November 2016 - 06:32 PM)

I would've guessed that unaired theme for Beast Machines.

@  Gizmoboy : (29 November 2016 - 04:11 PM)

yes, Lightbright is correct on that one

@  Lightbright : (29 November 2016 - 01:47 PM)

Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas?

@  Bass X0 : (29 November 2016 - 01:36 PM)

Name the song by the lyrics - "I'm a beast when you turn me on, into the future Cybertron"

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 November 2016 - 05:47 AM)

Ultra Matryoska.

@  BlackMax : (29 November 2016 - 04:55 AM)

That'd be CW Ultra Magnus, I would think.

@  Nutjob R/T : (29 November 2016 - 01:22 AM)

Hm. Titans Return Rowboat Girlyman?

@  BlackMax : (28 November 2016 - 09:09 PM)

TR Alpha Trion looks like a Space Marine Primarch. Specifically, I'm thinking Fulgrim.

- - - - -

Upgrade failures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#1 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

In talk about Hall of Fame nominees recently I saw some people comment on Beast Machines Silverbolt being a worse toy that the Beast Wars one. I wouldn't argue that either, as I like the Beast Wars (and his Universe recolor" much better than the rainbow chickenhawk.

This got me thinking, what are the biggest failures in releasing "upgrades" existing characters? One that came to mind for me was Armada Thundercracker and Skywarp. The Cybertron toys were such disappointments. What comes to your mind?

#2 Exillion

Exillion
  • Citizen
  • 1309 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Feb 24 2012, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In talk about Hall of Fame nominees recently I saw some people comment on Beast Machines Silverbolt being a worse toy that the Beast Wars one. I wouldn't argue that either, as I like the Beast Wars (and his Universe recolor" much better than the rainbow chickenhawk.

This got me thinking, what are the biggest failures in releasing "upgrades" existing characters? One that came to mind for me was Armada Thundercracker and Skywarp. The Cybertron toys were such disappointments. What comes to your mind?

As Silverbolt is my favorite BW/BM next to Rhinox, I always hated the BM toy as it was not a fitting update for the birddog and was happy when repaint of the original toy in his techno-organic color scheme showed up.

As for other upgrades gone bad, I would say Cheetor from the Universe line and Rattrap from the BM line. Seems like Maximal toys didn't measure up once BM started.

Edited by Exillion, 24 February 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Knowledge combined with experience are the building blocks to enlightenment.

#3 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Fastest Shoujo Alive

• Citizen
  • 2974 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Armada -> Universe Hot Shot? I like the updated version somewhat, but it's hard to argue that we went from a slightly-immobile, but solidly-playable toy to a highly articulated, but floppy figure with clearance issues in his back kibble and a Mini-Con that can no longer stand on its own. icon-op.gif

#4 Boltax

Boltax

Pap Pap! Kue Ray Yong Pap!

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Universe Cheetor and Universe Dinobot are both lesser "upgrades" they do some things 'better', than their original toys -- but one vitally important part is missing... any sense of fun or enjoyment. They're just not fun to play with.

--Andrew S.

#5 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

Spirit Shackler

• Citizen
  • 19187 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Most of the figures I really wanted to like from Universe (Galvatron, Cheetor, Hot Shot, Dinobot) were pretty awful.

Also, there's the whole deal of Leader Bulkhead, while being a fun toy, just wasn't as fun for me as the Voyager version.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

1ldHLcE.png
Signature: Kiana the shifter ranger, Talis the cleric and Aodhan the eldritch knight (my D&D characters) by MEDdMI

#6 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2305 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Universe & Classics have quite a few IMO: Galvatron, Grimlock, Cheetor, Dinobot, Tracks.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#7 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50053 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Universe Cheetor definitely.

#8 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

Spirit Shackler

• Citizen
  • 19187 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(Kup @ Feb 25 2012, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Universe & Classics have quite a few IMO: Galvatron, Grimlock, Cheetor, Dinobot, Tracks.

I never bought Tracks, but that mold was perfect as Wheeljack icon-ironhide.gif

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

1ldHLcE.png
Signature: Kiana the shifter ranger, Talis the cleric and Aodhan the eldritch knight (my D&D characters) by MEDdMI

#9 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12236 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Definitely Universe Cheetor. I never had original Galvatron, but it's pretty obvious the Universe one is full of fail even without having the original.
Universe Hot shot comes close to being better, but does have some issues. Jolt, on the other hand, has clearly become much worse.

I do like Universe Dinobot better. Those switchable hands... I guess it helps that I never cared for the original mold all that much.

If we can count characters from one movie to the next, Voyager Ironhides.... I didn't think the DOTM was as good as the old mold.

Battle in a Box Prime doesn't seem as good to me as the original toy. And without his trailer, Powermaster Prime isn't anywhere near as good as the original.

#10 tec

tec

Seriously fun

• Supporter
  • 24327 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Classics Galvatron So bad I had to own it twice to make sure it was really bad
I hope one day they retry him in a movie accrate way

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg

#11 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2305 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Spin Out @ Feb 25 2012, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kup @ Feb 25 2012, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never bought Tracks, but that mold was perfect as Wheeljack icon-ironhide.gif

Exactly. Besides the head and bring blue, it wasn't a good tracks. But as Jackie? Perfection.

Also: Blurr
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#12 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think I want to add some of the Action Masters to this list. I'm not going to trash ALL the Action Masters -- a lot of people really like them. But I think there's TWO Action Masters in particular who are a SERIOUS downgrade from the original toys.

Blaster and Soundwave.

While there's a definite compensation with, say, Snarl, because he comes with Tyrannitron... it's just not the case with Soundwave and Blaster! Those two already *HAD* little partner robots, and their little partner robots were actually way better than the Action Master partners. I really do think Blaster and Soundwave were massively downgraded thanks to Nucleon.

--Andrew S.
(On the other hand, Action Master Thundercracker? Massive upgrade. Action Master Starscream is... kind of a lateral move from the Pretender.)

Edited by Boltax, 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#13 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2952 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Oh, I also want to add the original Legends figures -- the Pretender Classics that were repackaged without their Pretender shells. While Starscream and Bumblebee were definite upgrades, Grimlock and Jazz were DEFINITELY downgrades.

That said, add the Pretender Shells and there's no doubting that the Pretender Classics are way better than the originals. It's just those ones where they released them WITHOUT their shells that I take issue with. That's insane.

--Andrew S.
(Also... I don't know that even with his Pretender shell that Grimlock is an improvement. As much as I like the Pretender play pattern, the original Grimlock is just a really appealing toy.)

#14 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9855 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't un upgrade of the original. He looks just like the G1, but now has articulation and storage for weapons. I think the only weak part might be the flying car mode.

#15 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 13235 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Classics Jetfire is a lateral move from the original Bandai toy at best.

Arm articulation aside, I feel that RtS Jazz is inferior to Binaltech Meister both in terms of engineering and sculpting.

RtS G2 Prime is vastly inferior to Laser Optimus in every conceivable way, and doesn't even have an excuse for the one flaw both share (colors) since he's not gang molded with a huge trailer.

Rodimus Prime is a pretty lame toy compared to Hot Rod.

I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't an upgrade of the original

Well, sure. But it's perhaps no better than the Binaltech version, and arguably worse.

Edited by Dante, 25 February 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#16 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 9407 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

BM Rattrap is by far my favorite Rattrap toy. I really wish we'd ever gotten a redeco of it, maybe as someone a little more feral.

The Ravage that came with Universe Hound is worse at everything than the G1 Ravage toy except for "being three-dimensional", and has a ridculous bird head to boot.

#17 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I kind of want to say Energon Rodimus, just because of the weird proportions so it can be a pair of pants. I know some people really like the mold, and while I don't regard it strictly as an upgrade failure, I don't at all see it as an upgrade success. Energon Prowl kind of qualifies for the same reason, although that's not as obvious an upgrade attempt that pushes the G1 buttons like Rodimus does.

As has been mentioned, Classics Galvatron definitely qualifies. I like the figure, but it's definitely a failure at delivering what it promises. Way too complicated transformation that's made worse by it being at a deluxe scale, and which also really kills the aesthetics and leg articulation. I keep hoping we'll get a G1 toon Galvatron recolor of the smaller Energon Megatron mold.

Blurr isn't so much an upgrade failure as it's a non-G1 Blurr. I see what they were trying to do, and I think they accomplished it, but there's still a hole in my G1 movie cast.

Also, Classics Powerglide.

#18 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 31431 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Feb 25 2012, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fail to see how RtS Tracks isn't un upgrade of the original. He looks just like the G1, but now has articulation and storage for weapons. I think the only weak part might be the flying car mode.

Except he doesn't, he looks like some chunky body builder when compared to his original slender frame. He's boxy and ugly, maybe if the roof didn't take up 150% of his chest he might look better.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#19 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9855 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Database @ Feb 25 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except he doesn't, he looks like some chunky body builder when compared to his original slender frame. He's boxy and ugly, maybe if the roof didn't take up 150% of his chest he might look better.

He is boxier, that's for sure. However, I still don't consider him at all to be an "upgrade failure."

I also think he's a better toy than the alternator. The alt had the fake chest and was awful at dealing with kibble. I mean, I still like the mold (especially the Ravage version), but I almost wish they had gone back and put the Tracks head on a blue version of Alt. Sideswipe. Yeah, his leg movement might be crippled, but he's not a car explosion when viewed from the back.

Also, I prefer Animated leader Bulkhead to the voyager. It's a great toy.

#20 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 31431 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Feb 25 2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Database @ Feb 25 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is boxier, that's for sure. However, I still don't consider him at all to be an "upgrade failure."

I also think he's a better toy than the alternator. The alt had the fake chest and was awful at dealing with kibble. I mean, I still like the mold (especially the Ravage version), but I almost wish they had gone back and put the Tracks head on a blue version of Alt. Sideswipe. Yeah, his leg movement might be crippled, but he's not a car explosion when viewed from the back.

Also, I prefer Animated leader Bulkhead to the voyager. It's a great toy.

I prefer the Alt for the fake chest, becuase it keeps his lithe athletic look. If he wasn't larger then most voyagers he'd be my preferred version.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno