Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (02 December 2016 - 06:24 PM)

Tom Cruise sucks but I really did enjoy Edge of Tomorrow

@  Benbot : (02 December 2016 - 03:57 PM)

What? They made a new Mummy movie and cast Tom Cruise? I love Cruise, but isn't he kind of expensive? Kind of stupid to rely on his star power to boost a new franchise instead of...like...good writing? I hope it had both, but I'm not holding my breath.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 11:36 PM)

Now if only I could get one of my GoG games to work right (well series of games) :(

@  Kalidor : (01 December 2016 - 11:24 PM)

Thanks, I picked it up. Worth it for the soundtrack alone

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 10:01 PM)

GoG is awsome.

@  wonko the sane? : (01 December 2016 - 08:07 PM)

woot woot, thank you kindly!

@  Dekafox : (01 December 2016 - 07:42 PM)

Head's up, GOG has Neverwinter Nights up for free for about another 30 hours or so

@  Verity Carlo : (01 December 2016 - 07:30 PM)

the men who murdered my imaginary friends

@  Locoman : (01 December 2016 - 05:30 PM)

I'm coming, Baby Legs! I'm.... Regular... Legs!

@  Benbot : (01 December 2016 - 04:05 PM)

What are you worried about, come get fake doors!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (01 December 2016 - 02:07 PM)

I just found out that Blue from Blue's Clues is a girl. Whoa.

@  Bass X0 : (01 December 2016 - 01:14 PM)

Holy Magikrap!

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 08:45 AM)

Also, TR Triggerhappy is a good mold.

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 07:34 AM)

I should have said "not staying together", but anyway.

@  unluckiness : (01 December 2016 - 06:50 AM)

My Astrotrain had that but some floor polish on the tabs helped.

@  Pennpenn : (01 December 2016 - 06:48 AM)

On the subject of recalcitrant TR voyagers, does anyone else have an issue with Sentinel Prime's legs staying together in space-brick mode?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (01 December 2016 - 03:40 AM)

Holy crap or holy carp? ;)

@  BlackMax : (30 November 2016 - 08:41 PM)

...holy crap it works!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 07:14 PM)

Hold the button (orange spot) on his chest and push them down till they click.

@  BlackMax : (30 November 2016 - 06:05 PM)

The horns can never be kept down! \m/. >_< .\m/

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 04:19 PM)

I was about to say.. I have no problem getting him to stay together in any mode. The horns was the worst thing for me. But I got that fixed.

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:26 PM)

...and I just figured that out too

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:24 PM)

Oh, hey, I figured it out. Now if I can just find a way to get his upper and lower body to stay pegged together in robot mode I'll be in business.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 November 2016 - 12:12 PM)

Cold showers.

@  unitremover : (30 November 2016 - 12:11 PM)

Oh, what's the trick to getting his horns to stay down?

@  unluckiness : (30 November 2016 - 08:26 AM)

Alolan baristas say the darndest things

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 November 2016 - 08:26 AM)

I like Alpha trion. Just gotta see if his horns will stay down now that I learned the trick.

@  Robowang : (30 November 2016 - 07:55 AM)

Alpha Trion is awesome. Fun transformation, beefy robot mode, sweet sword, amazing headsculpt, and great colors.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 November 2016 - 05:48 AM)

Why? Alpha Trion is pretty cool, even with some flaws. He reminds me of BW2 designs.

@  unitremover : (29 November 2016 - 11:34 PM)

I should've listened to what everybody else said about Alpha Trion and not gotten lured in by the sweet siren call of a new toy evoking Vector Prime

@  Msol : (29 November 2016 - 10:12 PM)

Hot damn Astrotrain is way better than I was expecting.

@  BlackMax : (29 November 2016 - 06:32 PM)

I would've guessed that unaired theme for Beast Machines.

@  Gizmoboy : (29 November 2016 - 04:11 PM)

yes, Lightbright is correct on that one

@  Lightbright : (29 November 2016 - 01:47 PM)

Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas?

@  Bass X0 : (29 November 2016 - 01:36 PM)

Name the song by the lyrics - "I'm a beast when you turn me on, into the future Cybertron"

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 November 2016 - 05:47 AM)

Ultra Matryoska.

@  BlackMax : (29 November 2016 - 04:55 AM)

That'd be CW Ultra Magnus, I would think.

@  Nutjob R/T : (29 November 2016 - 01:22 AM)

Hm. Titans Return Rowboat Girlyman?

@  BlackMax : (28 November 2016 - 09:09 PM)

TR Alpha Trion looks like a Space Marine Primarch. Specifically, I'm thinking Fulgrim.

@  Gryllid : (28 November 2016 - 09:02 PM)

Shop pet-smart. Shop Pet-S-Mart.

@  BlackMax : (28 November 2016 - 08:03 PM)

I understood that.

@  Telly : (28 November 2016 - 06:58 PM)

im gonna open a competing pet store and call it "petsdom". lets see how many people can figure this out lol

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 November 2016 - 06:57 PM)

Skywarp pushes people down stairs.

@  Robowang : (28 November 2016 - 06:52 PM)

Ramjet likes toast.

@  Broadside : (28 November 2016 - 06:39 PM)

"Petsmart" is actually an example of bad Romanisation that's become entrenched in the fandom.

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 November 2016 - 06:27 PM)

No no no, it's SPELT "Petsmart," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

@  Dracula : (28 November 2016 - 06:23 PM)

It's pronounced "I can't go here with my wife because she'll cry when she goes to the cat adoption area"

@  MEDdMI : (28 November 2016 - 06:18 PM)

"peat's-may-rtt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 November 2016 - 05:03 PM)

It's pronounced "Petsmart". How else would you say it?

@  Bass X0 : (28 November 2016 - 05:02 PM)

Is "Petsmart" pronounced, "PetsMart" or "PetSmart"?

Photo
- - - - -

Form Letter to Hasbro Regarding Club Credit Card Breach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 Robowang

Robowang

Protester Sprayer

• Supporter
  • 2543 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 24 2012, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm less concerned whether certain repaints are made available and whether or not there's a Botcon than I am about the dozens of people who have had their data breached and their money stolen or the dozens of people who have yet to be made aware of this issue and run the risk of their finances being compromised.

Given the amount of reports from both here and the GI Joe Club, I personally feel we've reached beyond the threshold of "a reasonable belief that there might have been a breach" and Funpub is obligated under law to notify those who've done business with them of a possible breach. Not only are they in violation of the trust between customer and vendor, but quite possibly the law. A law that carries significant financial penalties if found guilty.

That in itself should be enough to generate a response from the company, to either say "No, we can assure you that NO BREACH occurred" or "We believe a breach might have occurred" If they can't guarantee the former, then it means they do have a reasonable belief that it could have been. Failure to notify its customers in the amount of time that has passed is illegal.

Secondly, if writing to Hasbro will help reveal the scope of how many people are actually being affected by this, then it gives them the opportunity to investigate and come to a conclusion so that consumers aren't forced to draw their own.

Being worried about trivial things like club toys in the future is missing the point of this issue when people's personal and financial information are being sold to criminals around the world, Many fraudulent charges COULD have been prevented if the legally mandated notifications were given out.

Such irresponsibility not only affects the club or its customers, but it affects banks, the vendors where fraudulent purchases were made and Hasbro itself. Thousands of dollars, if not more, of money and time being wasted all because someone at the club didn't want to 'admit fault'.

This is a very serious issue and by now something should have been formally stated either way from the Club regarding a breach.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

#22 McFly

McFly
  • Citizen
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't think we need to ask for an online merchant to comply with PCI DSS. That's up there with asking a driver to stop at a red light. If you don't, you get a ticket. If you process cards without PCI DSS compliance, you get fines from the payment card merchant. Enough violations, and you get CUT OFF. That's why merchants are as liable as the processing companies. If you keep on going with non-compliant processing companies, why should the CC companies trust you? They're the ones footing the bill for fraud.

As for yanking the license, meh. Hasbro would probably do that only if and when they had an alternative lined up. I've got metric tons of misgivings regarding FP as a customer-facing business in the event planning market, but a scorched-earth policy isn't going to get us anywhere. At the end of the day, I'd wager that if FP were to lose the license, it would either be to someone waiting in the wings, or Hasbro would take it in-house, if anything.

More than likely, though? Pulling the license would mean that we'd be left with a website and no convention, and maybe some mail-order exclusives via HTS.

It's not desirable, but neither is credit card fraud, and I value my financial security over some plastic toys and lining Brian Savage's pockets.

#23 lightsyder

lightsyder
  • Citizen
  • 1103 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Just had to cancel my card. I renewed my membership and bought runabout after the switch over. Mine was hit for $400 in airline tickets.

#24 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8159 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(lightsyder @ Feb 24 2012, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just had to cancel my card. I renewed my membership and bought runabout after the switch over. Mine was hit for $400 in airline tickets.

And for clarity's sake, did you ever use that card on the club site prior to the switch over?

#25 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48435 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Fun Pub has released a statement:
http://www.allspark....showtopic=85315
24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#26 lightsyder

lightsyder
  • Citizen
  • 1103 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Feb 24 2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(lightsyder @ Feb 24 2012, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for clarity's sake, did you ever use that card on the club site prior to the switch over?

yeah, i made a couple of purchases through the site last year and called in a membership renewal so they had my card already on file.

So, what kind of charges did people see? mine were for Jet Blue Airways...

#27 Cyoti

Cyoti
  • Citizen
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Wal-mart, Gamestop, Nutritional Supplements, etc. Depends really on the 3rd parties that then bought the stolen information from the hackers I think.

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Feb 24 2012, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm less concerned whether certain repaints are made available and whether or not there's a Botcon than I am about the dozens of people who have had their data breached and their money stolen or the dozens of people who have yet to be made aware of this issue and run the risk of their finances being compromised.

Given the amount of reports from both here and the GI Joe Club, I personally feel we've reached beyond the threshold of "a reasonable belief that there might have been a breach" and Funpub is obligated under law to notify those who've done business with them of a possible breach. Not only are they in violation of the trust between customer and vendor, but quite possibly the law. A law that carries significant financial penalties if found guilty.

That in itself should be enough to generate a response from the company, to either say "No, we can assure you that NO BREACH occurred" or "We believe a breach might have occurred" If they can't guarantee the former, then it means they do have a reasonable belief that it could have been. Failure to notify its customers in the amount of time that has passed is illegal.

Secondly, if writing to Hasbro will help reveal the scope of how many people are actually being affected by this, then it gives them the opportunity to investigate and come to a conclusion so that consumers aren't forced to draw their own.

Being worried about trivial things like club toys in the future is missing the point of this issue when people's personal and financial information are being sold to criminals around the world, Many fraudulent charges COULD have been prevented if the legally mandated notifications were given out.

Such irresponsibility not only affects the club or its customers, but it affects banks, the vendors where fraudulent purchases were made and Hasbro itself. Thousands of dollars, if not more, of money and time being wasted all because someone at the club didn't want to 'admit fault'.

This is a very serious issue and by now something should have been formally stated either way from the Club regarding a breach.

Couldn't have said it better.

Edited by Cyoti, 24 February 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#28 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Hydra @ Feb 24 2012, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't doubt that Hasbro will take note of the letter,
but what is the desired effect you're hoping for by organizing this campaign?

In other words, what is it you would hope to see them do about it?

If you've ever followed an unfolding catastrophe on the news - Katrina hitting New Orleans, the Gulf oil spill - then you've seen how people are psychologically disinclined to accept the true magnitude of a diaster, sometimes until it is staring them in the face.

This sort of thing is a wake-up call to make sure the powers-that-be understand that this is a very big screw-up.
repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#29 Robowang

Robowang

Protester Sprayer

• Supporter
  • 2543 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Mail the letter!

#30 Erector

Erector
  • Citizen
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'll mail one in. They need this license yanked and awarded to someone who will be more responsible and have done more than read "PR for Dummies".

I'll take my chances with a new organization, the customer service CANNOT be worse than this.

#31 Trixter

Trixter

Sittin' on Cloud 9

• Citizen
  • 2254 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

I see no reason to think there aren't at least a handful of professional companies waiting in the wings to bid for the BotCon license. Those companies who've made their bread and butter the last twenty years running Star Trek conventions have to be drooling for fresh meat, AND they have professional experience.

I hate to be That Person, but this is something that's been waiting to happen. Fun Pub has always been completely unwilling to admit to any mistakes, and their web site was pitiful from the day it went online. The first BotCon I registered for online, I got a pre-paid Visa because it was frankly obvious that it was a security breach waiting to happen. I let my guard down after that, and now I'm extremely lucky that my bank decided to randomly replace everyone's Visa debit cards with Mastercards last fall and that I was waiting for a bonus from work that's scheduled for the beginning of March to renew my membership and register. I dodged that bullet, but knowing how close I was to not being able to pay my rent or my bills on time turns my stomach. Knowing that some of my friends can't pay their bills or their rent on time because of it is almost as infuriating. Why didn't they warn everyone and start investigating the moment it was obvious to everyone else that something was horribly wrong? Because they have always been completely unwilling to admit to any mistakes. This is just part of an ongoing pattern.

I've always made it pretty clear that I'm not a fan of Fun Pub, but I think BotCon is bigger than them so I haven't stopped attending. I would still prefer to see the con in the hands of someone professional and competent. Now that what was clearly in the cards years ago has come to pass, I can only hope Hasbro is with me. I don't want to see them lose the license for this. I want to see them lose the license for a litany of reasons. This is just the worst thing they've done.

#32 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6091 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I haven't read every report; how far back do these breaches go? Back in August, I had a problem with my card that I've never been able to account for.

card-overlord.jpg

#33 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2036 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Chip @ Feb 26 2012, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't read every report; how far back do these breaches go? Back in August, I had a problem with my card that I've never been able to account for.

At least back to April 2011, it seems:

http://www.allspark....showtopic=84493

http://www.tfw2005.c...rd-numbers.html

I haven't had a problem with my card until recently, but I suppose it could have been from any of the purchases I made from the Club, depending on how long the hackers decided to sit on the info before using it.

I used the card to buy Cheetor and Ramjet (April 27, 2011), the BotCon Iacon Package (January 28, 2012), and Over-Run and SG Drift (January 30, 2012 - no errors during checkout and before the changeover to the new CC processor), but didn't get hit until February 18, so I guess the breach could have occurred with any one of them...

I needed to renew my membership (expires 3/4/12), so I snail-mailed a money order using the little renewal reminder I received the first week of February to them yesterday...hopefully it reaches them before my membership expires/the deadline for Runamuck passes.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#34 Chip

Chip

• Citizen
  • 6091 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like they got me too, then. I know these things happen, and if I had any sense that Fun Pub had made a good faith effort to secure its transactions and that they had made an honest attempt to contact the people affected, I wouldn't be angry. They've chosen to fail on both counts.

Edited by Chip, 26 February 2012 - 05:33 PM.

card-overlord.jpg

#35 Hydra

Hydra

I'm in your Burger Bot eating burgers with your Isenburg!

• Citizen
  • 2355 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Can't blame you for your opinions, but I really think they just need to make major changes in management style.
They also need a person who specializes in site design doing work for them full-time.

If FunPub loses their license, the excellent network of fan involvement in official TF fiction may also evaporate.
One thing I can compliment FunPub with is that they know how to make excellent use of the knowledge of the fans.

I like what Fun Pub has created in terms of fiction, and a lot of that owes to their connections to the fans.
If another group suddenly came in, we might not get that anymore.

I hear you about the managament issues, but I think we should really consider everythign that might end up happening if
the license was lost.

-Hydra

QUOTE(Trixter @ Feb 26 2012, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see no reason to think there aren't at least a handful of professional companies waiting in the wings to bid for the BotCon license. Those companies who've made their bread and butter the last twenty years running Star Trek conventions have to be drooling for fresh meat, AND they have professional experience.

I hate to be That Person, but this is something that's been waiting to happen. Fun Pub has always been completely unwilling to admit to any mistakes, and their web site was pitiful from the day it went online. The first BotCon I registered for online, I got a pre-paid Visa because it was frankly obvious that it was a security breach waiting to happen. I let my guard down after that, and now I'm extremely lucky that my bank decided to randomly replace everyone's Visa debit cards with Mastercards last fall and that I was waiting for a bonus from work that's scheduled for the beginning of March to renew my membership and register. I dodged that bullet, but knowing how close I was to not being able to pay my rent or my bills on time turns my stomach. Knowing that some of my friends can't pay their bills or their rent on time because of it is almost as infuriating. Why didn't they warn everyone and start investigating the moment it was obvious to everyone else that something was horribly wrong? Because they have always been completely unwilling to admit to any mistakes. This is just part of an ongoing pattern.

I've always made it pretty clear that I'm not a fan of Fun Pub, but I think BotCon is bigger than them so I haven't stopped attending. I would still prefer to see the con in the hands of someone professional and competent. Now that what was clearly in the cards years ago has come to pass, I can only hope Hasbro is with me. I don't want to see them lose the license for this. I want to see them lose the license for a litany of reasons. This is just the worst thing they've done.

SELL ME THESE ITEMS!
Botcon 1997 Dinner Decoys: $300 ea.
Unreleased Ultra Magnus Street Speed Team: $1000
Lucky Draw Orange Hazard Team: $500/member
Bagged BotCon 2006 Box Set figures

#36 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1875 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Hydra @ Feb 26 2012, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't blame you for your opinions, but I really think they just need to make major changes in management style.
They also need a person who specializes in site design doing work for them full-time.

If FunPub loses their license, the excellent network of fan involvement in official TF fiction may also evaporate.
One thing I can compliment FunPub with is that they know how to make excellent use of the knowledge of the fans.

I like what Fun Pub has created in terms of fiction, and a lot of that owes to their connections to the fans.
If another group suddenly came in, we might not get that anymore.

I hear you about the managament issues, but I think we should really consider everythign that might end up happening if
the license was lost.

-Hydra

I think the problem is, and why the folks who hope for a new company are openly hoping for one, is that FunPub is a rather small outfit. "Major changes in management style" would seem to mean replacing the existing management, which more or less consists of one guy; Brian Savage. And from what I understand, FunPub is so small that it basically ceases to exist if he's 'replaced'. The other alternative would be if Brian Savage undergoes some manner of self-induced "major changes" that finally addresses the litany of complaints the fandom has about how FunPub runs itself, and presents itself to the fandom. But the current record seems to indicate this is unlikely, or we would've seen the Club's website, forums, and infrastructure move out of the 1990s. And Faxing would have stayed there, where it belonged.

But that's my layman's opinion, and it could be entirely wrong.

MAGFest.org
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

#37 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50046 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

It's not just you.

Fun Publications seems more like Brian Savage Inc then it does a "separate" company.

Edited by MrBlud, 26 February 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#38 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10538 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Feb 26 2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Faxing would have stayed there, where it belonged.

My own opinion...

There's nothing wrong with having faxes. They're quite good for many things, even today, and they should remain an option.

They simply shouldn't be the only option. Nor should I be shared an extra fee for using them (that is, the "processing fee" to register for BotCon via Fax is, I think without double-checking the form which is in my work office, $25).

(We shouldn't be charged a fee for registering online, either, but at least that fee is a smaller one. Pick a price, and roll whatever you need to in that price. Don't add additional fees for every possible option one could use!)

#39 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Staff
  • 56567 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

They've e-mailed past members too (according to their latest e-mails).

Randy

#40 Chip

Chip

• Citizen
  • 6091 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Feb 26 2012, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They've e-mailed past members too (according to their latest e-mails).

Randy

Oh hey, lookie there. I've received it.

card-overlord.jpg