29 replies to this topic

#1 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hey guys,

Here's my piece on the different types of vintage Transformers collector I've come across since joining the hobby. Some great collection pictures contributed that are worth the jump alone icon-hotrod.gif

Variant Collectors or Collector Variants? | TF Source News <- CLICK TO READ

Huge thanks to Mijo, Jon Krause, Matteo Pigliucci, Ras, Arkvander, Morgan Evans, Colin Pringle, Heroic Decepticon and Ben Munn.

All the best
Maz
In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Twitter --- Wants List

#2 tec

tec

Im any cutie you want me to be

• Citizen
  • 14757 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Wow the prototype collector is fascinating

Im the budget collector
Loose and complet as possable with the least amout of money possable
Things this type of collector cannot get include
Japanese Exclusives (Overlord,Star Saber) and MISB

#3 CORVUS

CORVUS

Its showtime, folks!

• Supporter
  • 28373 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I collect the things I like. Simple.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#4 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3172 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 23 2012, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that describes everyone except TJ Omega, who also makes it a point to collect things he hates so he can make funny reviews about 'em.

#5 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3097 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

I guess I'd be a nostalgia G1 collector? Though I don't really collect G1 figures... mostly because they're either incredibly expensive... or broken.

Hm... in a more broad sense, I collect based on three simple rules:

1 - It's an awesome figure.

2 - It's a character I like.

3 - It's an awesome figure of a character I like.

3 is the ideal situation :D

Neat article in any case.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 23 February 2012 - 10:19 PM.

0n39.png

#6 Robowang

Robowang
  • Citizen
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I collect based on complete series. I don't feel the need to have every series, but for series I collect, I want all the figures from it. I don't usually do variations within the series, though, and I'm certainly a loose/complete collector. I do have a few figures I display in boxes for variety of display, but they just happened to come with the box when I bought them.

I have completed RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, and Classics; I'm one figure away from completing Universe (U1 and U2 together), four figures away from completing Robot Masters, five figures away from completing Machine Wars, five figures away from completing U.S. G1, 13 figures from EU G1, and something like 15 away from completing U.S/EU G2.

I do have a smattering of Beast Era toys, but there are so few of those I do like that I just don't feel the need to go completist on them.

Edited by Robowang, 24 February 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Attention rich people: Complete/loose G1 collection for sale $20,000. Includes all figures and accessories from U.S. G1

My Wants List
Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs
My feedback

#7 Galenraff

Galenraff

Oh, by the way I've cracked the code.

• Public Relations
  • 30818 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

That's a fascinating look at the cross-section of collecting. Nice work!

It also makes me feel even better about backing off collecting (even full lines) and just getting the stuff I actually want, instead of feeling that there's ever anything out there I "need."

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#8 Sciflyer

Sciflyer

Tomorrow's Harvest

• Citizen
  • 1543 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Feb 24 2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a fascinating look at the cross-section of collecting. Nice work!

It also makes me feel even better about backing off collecting (even full lines) and just getting the stuff I actually want, instead of feeling that there's ever anything out there I "need."

Indeed. Early on, I considered myself a completist within certain boundaries - namely the 1984 - 1987 years. After finishing that quest, I collected just the Beast-era toys that were onscreen in the show. From the end of that era through today, I've only collected the toys that I absolutely love. I have found that this is more enjoyable for the exact reason you've described - that there is nothing that I feel like I "need" anymore. Plus with the dawn of the 3rd party companies, I feel that I can afford to throw more money at something that might be unique , without worrying that it is eating into funds that would otherwise be designated for completist purposes.

#9 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4431 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Magnusblitz @ Feb 24 2012, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 23 2012, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that describes everyone except TJ Omega, who also makes it a point to collect things he hates so he can make funny reviews about 'em.

I think in some of his videos, he's actually mentioned how he doesn't hat them that much. He's said at some point that he's not planning to sell any of the things he's portrayed as so horrible. It's just that he has very strong opinions on what makes a good toy, and tries to make them entertaining.

#10 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31739 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm kinda complicated, but I have sometimes wondered if I care more about mini spies than anyone else in the world.

#11 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2823 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

That article was awful. I went in expecting for it to describe the different kinds of people in the fandom, and the different orientations they have. Instead it was like reading an old Optimus Prime variants list. It didn't tell me anything. The distinction between a "Mint in package" collector and a "Mint in package Japanese collector" just... really doesn't interest me in the slightest. This wasn't an article about collectors. It was an article about toys.

Another thing that annoyed me was the value judgements. The condemnation towards people who collect multiples of a single toy, for example, really betrayed the writer's own biases, in a negative way.

It's really unfortunate, because it's an intriguing premise. There ARE different kinds of toy collectors -- and certainly there's different MOTIVATIONS in collecting. Do you get into it for the toys? For the fiction? This article just didn't deliver any sort of insight.

--Andrew S.
(I also thought the article was really badly organised -- some sub-headings and more paragraph breaks would have made reading it a lot easier/more enjoyable. It also would have made it easier to see at a glance that the article wasn't going to live up to expectations.)

Edited by Boltax, 25 February 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#12 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12790 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Fun read icon-hotrod.gif How about the lucky draw collector? Seems like that's not as popular anymore, but TF@TM have a killer collection of them...
(,>.<, ) ....******

#13 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12790 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 25 2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That article was awful. I went in expecting for it to describe the different kinds of people in the fandom, and the different orientations they have. Instead it was like reading an old Optimus Prime variants list. It didn't tell me anything. The distinction between a "Mint in package" collector and a "Mint in package Japanese collector" just... really doesn't interest me in the slightest. This wasn't an article about collectors. It was an article about toys.

Another thing that annoyed me was the value judgements. The condemnation towards people who collect multiples of a single toy, for example, really betrayed the writer's own biases, in a negative way.

It's really unfortunate, because it's an intriguing premise. There ARE different kinds of toy collectors -- and certainly there's different MOTIVATIONS in collecting. Do you get into it for the toys? For the fiction? This article just didn't deliver any sort of insight.

--Andrew S.
(I also thought the article was really badly organised -- some sub-headings and more paragraph breaks would have made reading it a lot easier/more enjoyable. It also would have made it easier to see at a glance that the article wasn't going to live up to expectations.)

Man, you crap all over everything. Write your own article.
(,>.<, ) ....******

#14 tec

tec

Im any cutie you want me to be

• Citizen
  • 14757 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

The multiple version of one toy one I can see as being negitive...
And I can see why some might not like it....At the same time though..

I myself own 3 lose Jetfires two where bought in the same lot though (for less then a hundred) and one was the Robotech variant

So maybe theres a story there we are not seeing

#15 CatSCAN

CatSCAN
  • Supporter
  • 3990 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Great article. And you're right, awesome pictures. There really is something about seeing all the MB packages or the AFA graded '84 cars all in one place. It's a special kind of gorgeous. icon-hotrod.gif

#16 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2665 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'm not going to come down on it as hard as Boltax, but I thought the written part of this article was pretty useless. The pictures are neat - I particularly liked the shot of the MB Autobot cars - but I didn't learn anything about those kinds of collection or about what makes people amass them. And the paragraph about single-toy collectors was so absurdly hostile and dismissive that I almost feel like it must have been an injoke from Maz to someone he knows (the Jetfire owner, maybe?) - but without being "in" on that, you're simply left with the face value of someone who starts off extolling the virtues of AFA grading declaring that buying lots of the same toy is the "damaging" action of a "hoarder".

To say nothing of how many types of collector, as brought up in this very thread, are nothing like any of these "types". The whole thing just comes off as very myopic and colored heavily by the kind of collecting Maz likes. It might be understandable, but it doesn't make for appealing reading, and it's a pretty weak framework to hang a bunch of really nice collection photos on.

EDIT: I should probably throw in how insanely jealous Maz's Mirage collection there makes me.

Edited by LV!, 25 February 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#17 M-A-K

M-A-K
  • Citizen
  • 384 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'll add to this (nice topic).

Im a person who likes to collect whole series. I had the whole Classics through RTS series until I sold them to help my mother. Since its expensive collecting backwards I'm now trying to get All the Prime toys. If I ever get a second job I'll try to collect my CHUG again. Lol, at least I have photos of my beloved collection.

#18 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 25 2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

--Andrew S.

Thanks for your feedback on this one, I do generally get positive feedback but usually my replies at the Allspark are few and far between to the point where I wondered if people were even reading them here. Negative feedback has been rare so it's actually refreshing to see it, and I'm the first to admit that I could do with some comments to improve my work. It's one of the reasons I started writing for TFSource actually, Curt wanted a very different type of weekly look at things to what I was used to writing for TF-1; super in-depth toy variation and history articles that go on for 10,000 words!

I have to apologise if the article actually sold something different than what it advertised, and I apologise for making excuses for it but this one is the one I have spent the least time on since I started writing for Source a year and a half ago, having a pregnant wife in hospital and bashing an article out between allowed visiting hours clearly doesn't agree with the educated TF audience icon-fire.gif Having said that, I did read it over when I had a chance and I was actually pleased with it. So no excuses really, let me see if I can address some of yours and LV's points:

- I should probably have made it more clear it was more about collecting habits/niches/directions than the people themselves. My statements in the opening post I hoped would make it clear what I was going for, just a summary of the types of collecting/collector I've come across since joining the hobby online. And of course as I am strictly G1/pre-G1 focused these days (with a serious weakness for Binaltechs, Alternators, Movie and Animated), it's quite a tunnel view of my little corner of interest. Curt has pretty much asked for me to be a voice on the things that make up the G1 and pre-G1 era, I think he's got other guys far more clued up on current product for the other end of the spectrum. Maybe had that been clearer, you'd have known earlier the article wouldn't have appealed to you directly, so I apologise for the time wasted on reading it, there's nothing worse than falsely advertised journalism, programming, news etc

- In my defence regarding hoarders, I have accepted that collectors can collect multiples of certain items out of love and nothing else. I've done it before, I had a few G1 Scourges on display as Sweeps etc. Some of my friends collect 2 or 3 of each toy to display in each mode, to re-create the look of old toy catalogues. I think that's beautiful actually. What I was referring too, and it isn't clear enough I guess, is that some collectors buy every example of a certain item that comes up for sale in order to hoard them and corner the market, in an attempt to monopolise and drive up the price for future investment. There's been a great deal of this going on in the Diaclone collecting circle recently and it's harmed the community a little bit. Again, that's my tunnel view of that corner of the world, I just felt like bringing some awareness to that prevalent issue. I apologise for offending anyone who felt their love of a certain figure and a collection of multiple specimens was being attacked.

- Funny you should mention the sub-headings. I actually never use them, and I haven't for any Source Article so far, but Curt has mentioned to me a few days ago he thought this one would benefit from such sub-headings. You are clearly both onto something there, so at the first opportunity I believe he will edit that accordingly.

Thanks again for your feedback icon-hotrod.gif

QUOTE(Might Gaine @ Feb 25 2012, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fun read icon-hotrod.gif How about the lucky draw collector? Seems like that's not as popular anymore, but TF@TM have a killer collection of them...

Ah, I didn't get the chance to highlight this area of collecting in enough detail, it was restricted to a few words at the end. A token mention, really. I would have loved to expand this article over 2 weeks and really go into some depth (may have avoided the above mistakes) but I had enough photos for 1 week and certainly not enough material for 2.

QUOTE(LV! @ Feb 25 2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not going to come down on it as hard as Boltax, but I thought the written part of this article was pretty useless. The pictures are neat - I particularly liked the shot of the MB Autobot cars - but I didn't learn anything about those kinds of collection or about what makes people amass them. And the paragraph about single-toy collectors was so absurdly hostile and dismissive that I almost feel like it must have been an injoke from Maz to someone he knows (the Jetfire owner, maybe?) - but without being "in" on that, you're simply left with the face value of someone who starts off extolling the virtues of AFA grading declaring that buying lots of the same toy is the "damaging" action of a "hoarder".

To say nothing of how many types of collector, as brought up in this very thread, are nothing like any of these "types". The whole thing just comes off as very myopic and colored heavily by the kind of collecting Maz likes. It might be understandable, but it doesn't make for appealing reading, and it's a pretty weak framework to hang a bunch of really nice collection photos on.

EDIT: I should probably throw in how insanely jealous Maz's Mirage collection there makes me.

Haha thank you, but if it makes you feel any better I have since sold many of those Mirages including the Robot Masters and the G2 Mirage hand-painted mock-up prototype icon-screamer.gif

I'm really glad you liked the pictures, it was partially aimed as a tribute to the amazing work some of those guys have put into presenting us with such beautiful collections, and more importantly, references. For example, Mijo and Ben may have/had incredible collections to be immensely proud of, but the info and help they have provided in establishing connections between toylines and variations with their work and their collecting just shows it's not all about amassing items. It's good that they can receive due credit for their achievements.

There was some in-joke sentiment in the hoarder paragraph, and to make it clear that was aimed at buyers who buy the *exact* same figure/variation repeatedly for the purposes outlined in the article. They are few and far between but those that have the access and power to do it in the "right" niche can cause a lot of damage and really affect the other enthusiasts and their collecting. I did believe that a lot of my friends and fellow Diaclone enthusiasts would cotton onto exactly what I was referring to there but I didn't intend for it to exclude those who weren't in on it. It wasn't clear enough though, as the feedback clearly suggests.

About not including enough info about the toys themselves within the photos, I feel that I have covered that adequately in the previous 24 articles I have written for Source, especially the European TF stuff and Diaclone stuff, also the pre-production series which clearly outlined the motivation behind buying those kinds of toys. I can clearly see the article would benefit from links to those articles in the appropriate paragraphs. I also felt I did put in some words about why people would collect such items, and I must also say that I am one of the most anti-grading collectors out there. I don't call it AFA-degrading for nothing ;)

Thanks again for your feedback, you can be certain I'll keep it in mind during future articles.

All the best
Maz

Edited by Maz, 25 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.

In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Twitter --- Wants List

#19 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27471 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Is there such a thing as an "obscurist" collector that goes after things unknown or forgotten by others? Because I think that's what I follow, aside from the usual "I buy what I like" category.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#20 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Extinctpundit

• Citizen
  • 13301 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

I was a completist from mid-BW through early Armada. So, the most worthless junk space-wasters imaginable.

At this point, I'm mostly at "the 7 or 8 characters I'm absolutely in love with and will buy all variants and merchandise forever," plus "the last few boxed vintage figures that I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell." And sometimes the vintage-ness works against the figure, because after literally decades of them always standing there looking the same, you really do start to think "how long am I gonna keep a Diaclone-era mold in a cardboard box when I have bills to pay?"
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users