66 replies to this topic

#41 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8173 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Can we change the title to "Liege Overreacts"? This doesn't look like a crossover thread anymore.

#42 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 44406 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

All this over reaction upsets me because now I can't give the bronies a light hearted teasing without everyone jumping out of the woodwork to defend them against my weak ass joke.

It's ok to be a non-fan of something without throwing around al this hate and anger. Bronies for the most part are keeping to themselves. They know how to respect the non-fans and not cram it down our throats, at east on this board. So let's give the hate a rest.

I'm not gonna lock this thread as I hope people can maybe discuss this a bit without personal attacks and maybe come to an understanding of sorts.

And FP, please, stop talking about yourself so much. We wanna talk about toys, not your personal history.
14541958317_8e698fb72b_o.jpg

#43 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 33509 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Perhaps in an attempt to re-rail the thread...

The other day, I had Beast Wars 2 Moon down off the shelves. That toy is just bizarre when compared to the other Beast Wars toys and... I must say, he did have me wondering what a MLP Transformer would look like.

Then I thought what that would mean for the MLP character, and was kinda creeped out. A cute and cuddly little girls' character getting torn to pieces during the process of turning it into a robot. The imagery is a little disturbing.

#44 Phlis

Phlis
  • Citizen
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Seeing as Transformers is a multiverse, galazy and universe spanning scifi adventure property (when it isn't stuck on earth). I could see how this would work, in the fiction anyway. The Decepticons invade whatever planet the ponies live on, subjugating them through military conquest, and start converting friendship and/or magic into energon. The ponies, now a slave race of drones, mind controlled through various means need a hero, one rises up, and the Autobots show up to try and free these poor beaten and oppressed equines. You could get a good story out of it, maybe.

However, my interest in this would be on the same level I have for the other crossover properties (Marvel, Star Wars), little to none.

#45 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

• Citizen
  • 8173 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

I don't think a crossover would be too hard to put together, a groundbridge malfunction or teleportation spell accident could pretty much account for everything.

QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 24 2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The other day, I had Beast Wars 2 Moon down off the shelves. That toy is just bizarre when compared to the other Beast Wars toys and... I must say, he did have me wondering what a MLP Transformer would look like.

Then I thought what that would mean for the MLP character, and was kinda creeped out. A cute and cuddly little girls' character getting torn to pieces during the process of turning it into a robot. The imagery is a little disturbing.

I dunno, I can't find it any more creepy than any of the Beast Wars TFs, which for the most part I don't really find creepy.

Edited by Cabooceratops, 24 February 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#46 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 33509 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 24 2012, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno, I can't find it any more creepy than any of the Beast Wars TFs, which for the most part I don't really find creepy.

But for Beast Wars, we were introduced to the robots first. We know that the "animals" aren't really animals.

If it was an existing cuddly cartoon character, though, unhinging the head for the first time would definitely feel more like decapitation. No?

#47 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

• Citizen
  • 8173 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 24 2012, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 24 2012, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But for Beast Wars, we were introduced to the robots first. We know that the "animals" aren't really animals.

If it was an existing cuddly cartoon character, though, unhinging the head for the first time would definitely feel more like decapitation. No?

Hmm, I see what you mean, but at the same time it just makes me want to see a crossover even more. icon-fire.gif

Edited by Cabooceratops, 24 February 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#48 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19757 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Feb 24 2012, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't remember TF fandom having any equivalent of "welcome to the herd". That just feels like identity assimilation, and honestly, that creeps me out. Seriously, can't a person enjoy something without having to associate with a particular collective?

"Identity assimilation."

Seriously?

Seriously?

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#49 Phlis

Phlis
  • Citizen
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Feb 24 2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't remember TF fandom having any equivalent of "welcome to the herd". That just feels like identity assimilation, and honestly, that creeps me out. Seriously, can't a person enjoy something without having to associate with a particular collective?

"Identity assimilation."

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yes.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

Seriously, Nerds (myself included) have the problem of being over zealous about their (our) enjoyment of certain things. If you like one thing they (we) like, then you must be more like them (us) then you realize! It's an acceptance thing, after a lifetime of being outcasts, they (we) want their (our) group to be as large and inclusive as possible. If it is attacked it must be defended, if you like it at all you are a part of the group, etc, etc. Even the act of embracing what originated as an insult as some sort of moniker is an extension of this.

And then, eventually you get over that, live your life and stop caring about that sort of thing. You like ponies? Great, who cares?

#50 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12604 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

You are aware that the AllSpark motto, which has been featured on numerous t-shirts, is "We Are One," right?

I like to wear them around and make people think I'm part of some existential Jungian cult or something.

#51 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19757 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

I remember when I had my identity assimilated by FIRRIB.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#52 Phlis

Phlis
  • Citizen
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Feb 24 2012, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember when I had my identity assimilated by FIRRIB.

Wings Down.

etc.

#53 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4457 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(Phlis @ Feb 24 2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Feb 24 2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Identity assimilation."

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yes.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

Seriously, Nerds (myself included) have the problem of being over zealous about their (our) enjoyment of certain things. If you like one thing they (we) like, then you must be more like them (us) then you realize! It's an acceptance thing, after a lifetime of being outcasts, they (we) want their (our) group to be as large and inclusive as possible. If it is attacked it must be defended, if you like it at all you are a part of the group, etc, etc. Even the act of embracing what originated as an insult as some sort of moniker is an extension of this.

And then, eventually you get over that, live your life and stop caring about that sort of thing. You like ponies? Great, who cares?

Yeah, that's the thing. The whole "you like it? Congratulations, you're one of us" deal. I don't really mind people talk about how much they like something, but I don't want to be considered part of some collective like that.

QUOTE(Dante @ Feb 24 2012, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are aware that the AllSpark motto, which has been featured on numerous t-shirts, is "We Are One," right?

I like to wear them around and make people think I'm part of some existential Jungian cult or something.

I actually forgot. But, this is Transformers fandom. There's not much of an "us" to be one of, considering that the fandom is known for being divisive.

Edited by Item42, 24 February 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#54 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 33509 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Feb 24 2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Dante @ Feb 24 2012, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually forgot. But, this is Transformers fandom. There's not much of an "us" to be one of, considering that the fandom is known for being divisive.

There are some issues that are equally divisive when it comes to the Bronies as well. I take it you've never actually gone into My Little Allsparkle then?

#55 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4457 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Not often. The whole "us" is how bronies tend to present MLP fandom when talking to non-fans. At least, that's been my experience on another forum.

Edited by Item42, 24 February 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#56 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2111 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Oh yes, I forgot about these. Some Botcon set concepts I whipped up, using the usual 'limited molds / new heads' thing. Obviously difficult because most Transformers are male and the ones that are supposed to be female generally look like hookers.

Botcon: My Little TFs 1 by ~Blueshift2k5 on deviantART

Botcon: My Little TFs 2 by ~Blueshift2k5 on deviantART

#57 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 8966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Blueshift @ Feb 24 2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes, I forgot about these. Some Botcon set concepts I whipped up, using the usual 'limited molds / new heads' thing. Obviously difficult because most Transformers are male and the ones that are supposed to be female generally look like hookers.

Botcon: My Little TFs 1 by ~Blueshift2k5 on deviantART

*Princess Celestia: Energon Megatron* OH GOD MY SIDES.

Edited by Matthias Phage, 24 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#58 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

Manly things, like a tiger ripping apart a gazelle, or a lawyer.

• Citizen
  • 3045 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Feb 23 2012, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF / MLP crossover idea

*shoots every one in the room and burns the building down*

Say what now?
There's only room in here for one,
And I've decided it's not you.
I had to do what must be done.
YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT TOO!
Suddenly I'm feeling strange...

#59 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3104 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Blur as Pinkie Pie... that's... inspired, actually. Although it would be better if it were G1 Blur. Most of those are really good choices, as far as I understand the characters (I don't actually watch the show, but I love the fan culture - I'm weird like that). I'm now imagining a situation in which G1 Blur and Pinkie Pie have an adventure together... it would be the single fast-talking-est show ever.

I've... never noticed any kind of 'one of us' thing with MLP... then again, that sort of thing doesn't work on me, so maybe I'm just missing it. I could understand though, when the default negative reaction seems to be 'one of them'.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 24 February 2012 - 04:12 PM.

0n39.png

#60 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12604 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(Blueshift @ Feb 24 2012, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes, I forgot about these. Some Botcon set concepts I whipped up, using the usual 'limited molds / new heads' thing.
<snip>

The boxset is a little too pastel for my tastes, but I'd totally buy Applejack and Luna at retail. Maybe not as those characters per se, but the way their colors apply to those molds is great.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users