ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10940 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Copy/Paste from the Preview thread:

The issue is up on Comixology.

Just read it.

Very nice. It's a different book than MTMTE (as it should be) a different feel and vibe but very enjoyable.

You can really see the foundation for a new society starting to form. The events of this issue, dire as some of them are, all seem to have a function of ultimately strengthening a new paradigm and making an immediate fall back to the old war status quo unlikely anytime soon.

It also feels like there's a unified theme of the sides coming together in a way as this new society forms with some Autobots doing things more Decepticonish and vice versa to the same result. I think we may see the start of an Autobot black opps secret police here. Prowls the bot for the job. (They need to feature Blaze too, given his function.)

A very cool read that sets up a lot of potential that makes it, again, a very hard wait for next month. I may do a longer review if I have more time later.

-ZacWilliam, hoping for some real focus on Wheeljack and Ironhide next month...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 22 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46892 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Apparently Skywarp ALSO likes toast icon-fire.gif

Edited by MrBlud, 22 February 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#4 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1435 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Great issue. Fans might be predisposed to liking Roberts' book, but Barber isn't backing down from keeping up the intriguing plot developments either.

It took awhile, but IDW finally has a solid setup for their TF comics again. Let's hope they don't bugger it up.

#5 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Citizen
  • 2432 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Man, I think I like this more than MTMTE. I really dig the politicking, just the idea of Autobots giving speeches is so cool. I love the idea that they're building an actual society here, almost from the ground up.

I'd like to think that when Rodimus' crew returns to Cybertron, they barely recognize it.

Edit: Well, I guess all the discussion is over at TFW. Could we maybe try keeping the "Preview" topic in TFD going for at least a few days before it gets locked and redirected here?

Edited by Msol, 22 February 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#6 Cyoti

Cyoti
  • Citizen
  • 669 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

If Starscream is the best Decepticon coalition partner the Autobots have, the new government is screwed.

They should have put all the Cons on trial for war crimes.

Edited by Cyoti, 22 February 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#7 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10940 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(Cyoti @ Feb 22 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Starscream is the best Decepticon coalition partner the Autobots have, the new government is screwed.

Not really feasible given the situation.

That's what you do when you have a functioning society. When you're a small marrooned group of folks, in a small walled camp, surrounded by a strange exceedingly hostile unsettled planet and there's a group of hostile neutrals that far out number you and already resent your "warlike, violent nature" well... starting your attempt at survival and colonization with trials and executions is both a bad idea and frankly unworkable. Thats one of BBs big problems.

-ZacWilliam, honestly thinks Starscream may be the best thing to happen to this government. As long as it's in his best interests...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 22 February 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#8 Cyoti

Cyoti
  • Citizen
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 22 2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cyoti @ Feb 22 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really feasible given the situation.

That's what you do when you have a functioning society. When you're a small marrooned group of folks, in a small walled camp, surrounded by a strange exceedingly hostile unsettled planet and there's a group of hostile neutrals that far out number you and already resent your "warlike, violent nature" well... starting your attempt at survival and colonization with trials and executions is both a bad idea and frankly unworkable. Thats one of BBs big problems.

-ZacWilliam, honestly thinks Starscream may be the best thing to happen to this government. As long as it's in his best interests...

The problem is the present arrangement isn't going to create a functioning society. They aren't unified. They aren't Cybertronians as they are their own individual factions. And the Autobots don't like the Cons, they disdain the NAILs, the NAILs hate both and the same goes for the Decepticons. All it's going to result is a power sharing arrangement where Starscream and Metalhawk grabbing all the power they can and BB trying to hold everything together and failing.

At least putting the Cons on trial and putting their boots to the neck of the NAILs would have created some semblance of order, would have been a temporary propaganda victory for the Autobots and reminded the ingrates of what the Autobots were fighting for.

Edited by Cyoti, 22 February 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#9 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10940 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(Cyoti @ Feb 22 2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is the present arrangement isn't going to create a functioning society. They aren't unified. They aren't Cybertronians as they are their own individual factions. And the Autobots don't like the Cons, they disdain the NAILs, the NAILs hate both and the same goes for the Decepticons. All it's going to result is a power sharing arrangement where Starscream and Metalhawk grabbing all the power they can and BB trying to hold everything together and failing.

At least putting the Cons on trial and putting their boots to the neck of the NAILs would have created some semblance of order, would have been a temporary propaganda victory for the Autobots and reminded the ingrates of what the Autobots were fighting for.

I think you are 100% wrong.

Trying to "put boots to the necks of the NAILs" would have resulted in EXACTLY two things: 1) destroying the very tenative peace Optimus exiled himself to create and 2) the Autobots TORN APART and exiled or killed by the NAILS that outnumber them by a huge margin. Thats a terrible plan.

There's no propaganda victory in putting the Cons on trial either. The NAILs would just see it as proof of the Autobot Opressive Regime. Remember Metalhawk said that if the Autobots moved against the Decepticons he and the Nails would NOT stand with them. AND it's litterally not possible anyway, as they don't have the power or numbers to exert authority over the Cons if they wanted to.

Creating a society on the current Cybertron REQUIRES powersharing and bargining between Bots, Cons, and NAILs. There literally is no other way. The Bots don't have the numbers or power to exert their will. The Nails could EASILY do away with both Bots and Cons if driven to it, and the Cons are at a disadvantage but clearly dangerous. There's literally no way forward unless they learn and find a way to work together.

-ZacWilliam, you seem to think the Autobots have the power to do whatever they want, and they don't. Bumblebee's big problem is that they have very little authority or power at all.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#10 Cyoti

Cyoti
  • Citizen
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 22 2012, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cyoti @ Feb 22 2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are 100% wrong.

Trying to "put boots to the necks of the NAILs" would have resulted in EXACTLY two things: 1) destroying the very tenative peace Optimus exiled himself to create and 2) the Autobots TORN APART and exiled or killed by the NAILS that outnumber them by a huge margin. Thats a terrible plan.

There's no propaganda victory in putting the Cons on trial either. The NAILs would just see it as proof of the Autobot Opressive Regime. Remember Metalhawk said that if the Autobots moved against the Decepticons he and the Nails would NOT stand with them. AND it's litterally not possible anyway, as they don't have the power or numbers to exert authority over the Cons if they wanted to.

Creating a society on the current Cybertron REQUIRES powersharing and bargining between Bots, Cons, and NAILs. There literally is no other way. The Bots don't have the numbers or power to exert their will. The Nails could EASILY do away with both Bots and Cons if driven to it, and the Cons are at a disadvantage but clearly dangerous. There's literally no way forward unless they learn and find a way to work together.

-ZacWilliam, you seem to think the Autobots have the power to do whatever they want, and they don't. Bumblebee's big problem is that they have very little authority or power at all.

1 - I think they should have done all that such as possible war crimes trials before DoOP. By time when they unleashed the cons on the NAILs it was too late. Letting the situation fester was the fault of Rodimus, BB and Prowl

2 - Putting the Cons on trial would have reminded everyone that it was the Decepticons who started the war and that their numbers were also the ones that devastated Cybertron in the first place. A propaganda victory. Using the Cons as enforcers only destroyed any moral authority the Autobots have.

3 - I think you missed one of the key points about the new government. Other than BB and the Autobots, the other two factions aren't invested in the new government. The Cons want to revolt and stage a coup. The only one amongst them willing to give it a try is using it as a power grab. The NAILs hate both factions. Metalhawk himself has been undermining BB since the first issue.

#11 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10940 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(Cyoti @ Feb 22 2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 - I think they should have done all that such as possible war crimes trials before DoOP. By time when they unleashed the cons on the NAILs it was too late. Letting the situation fester was the fault of Rodimus, BB and Prowl

When would they have done that? When Galvatron's attack ended the planet went nuts, changed completely and began to try to kill them. They held up in the remains of Kima, borded the temporarily damaged Cons into Kima's engine. Before they could do anything besides regroup suddenly Thousands... Thousands of hostile Nails arrived. Bumblebee and co. had to try to keep them alive and keep order. They were in the middle of that chaos when prime showed up. And again, there was no society, no authorities, no organization, and certainly no TIME to hold trials before DOOP.

2 - Putting the Cons on trial would have reminded everyone that it was the Decepticons who started the war and that their numbers were also the ones that devastated Cybertron in the first place. A propaganda victory. Using the Cons as enforcers only destroyed any moral authority the Autobots have.

There was neither the time or ability to make that happen. On a normal Cybertron, sure. On a primordial Cybertron that's actively trying to kill you, when you're literally living in ruins and thousands of angry strangers are arriving every day. In the two weeks they had before Prime arrived there's just no feasible, realistic, or organizational way for that to happen.

3 - I think you missed one of the key points about the new government. Other than BB and the Autobots, the other two factions aren't invested in the new government. The Cons want to revolt and stage a coup. The only one amongst them willing to give it a try is using it as a power grab. The NAILs hate both factions. Metalhawk himself has been undermining BB since the first issue.

Yes, it's a mess. Hence Bumblebee's stress. Nonetheless it is literally the only shot they've got. Either they're gonna make it work or society on Cybertron is going to collapse again. It's the only chance they've got.

-ZacWilliam, sometimes the best option you have is a mess. That's what's gonna make this interesting... icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 22 February 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#12 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Citizen
  • 2432 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

I retract my previous comment.

Anyways... so awesome! icon-fire.gif

Unfortunately for new readers like me (I started at Chaos Theory), Arcee means nothing to me. I know she's.. insane or something? And the only girl?

So yeah, maybe a blurb would have been nice. If they're asterisking NAIL every time, something could have been done for her appearance.

#13 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 897 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Bwahaha, I was really glad to turn that page and see that Arcee in fact had NOT gone soft. icon-fire.gif I'm a big fan of that version of the character for the psycho factor; missed having her around in her full ruthlessness. I've always enjoyed how the others treat her with distaste.

And I REALLY appreciate the attention to continuity from Barber; heck, they even referenced trusting Starscream vis a vis Sunstreaker's deal with him in AHM (I think that's what Prowl meant when he discussed the last time they had trusted him and how that had turned out...I can't really think of a similar incident (?)), not to mention multiple callbacks to Megatron: Origin. Skywarp being ticked with the various times that Bumblebee has bested him (Infiltration, Bumblebee mini-series) was cool, too.

That was also cool to have Starscream's internal narration at the end to tell us he is sincere (at least for the time being).

Edited by Moroboshi, 22 February 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#14 dannyrww

dannyrww
  • Protoform
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

I like this book. Its is different than the other ongoing and certainly darker in tone. Bumblebee has been my favorite character as long as I can remember and one hand I'm not liking the "corruption" of him as he tries to deal with the difficult role thrust on him. On the other hand this is the most character development I've seen for him and it says something about the writing if it makes us care about what is happening to the character. I find it interesting that the factions have in fact turned into political parties. They are for all intents and purposes setting up a government run by a representative from each party (and if the Nails think they are not a "faction" they are kidding themselves). Prowl of course will make sure the Autobots keep the upper hand with or without Bumblbee's approval. So was the shadowy figure in issue one Arcee?

#15 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Hoarder of Toys

• Citizen
  • 10924 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

About Horri-Bull from the previous thread:

QUOTE("Spark")
I'm more of the mind that someone would have shot him in a limb first.

You know, I understand where Roberts and Barber were going with this whole "discipline collar" analogue, but I wonder... why did the Autobots not add a simple 'shut down' mode to this ID Chip? It'd be more... humane, or rather, more Autobot if the thing would simply shut down your motor function and leave you a statue then blow up your head.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 23 February 2012 - 10:24 AM.

ToC-Funtcuck.jpg

#16 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10940 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

On another note, what I'd most like to see in this book (which I do really like alot) that we have not yet seen is twofold both dealing with the same general interest:

1) Who are all these weird looking strangely designed NAILs? I mean that literally. Give some of them names. Talk about where certain groups of them came from and why they adapted their odd less-humanoid shapes. So far they've been 100% window dressing and wallpaper. Only humanoid NAILS have gotten names and dialogues while the 99% of them we see are weird-shaped cyphers. Make those into characters and factions too and you vastly deepen your world. I understand the Autobots are our POV but still by showing us who these other very different bots are, what their wants and concerns and such are the whole comic is made deeper and more interesting. Barber is a good enough writter to do this so I hope we get to see it.

2) On a semi related note I really want to see what those who aren't actively forming a government, keeping the peace, or skulking in a cave plotting are doing with their time. A city and a civilization are attempting to form. We've seen so little of a peacetime Cybertron I want to see how your average Cybertronian spends a day. I want to see how commerce is forming (what's the currency?) and are there jobs available? What do civilians DO? are there Arts? Plays? Opera? Street theater? Panhandlers? (Pan-Handler?) Are ghettos forming? Enclaves? Do they have dance clubs? Video Games? TV Newscasters? Celebrities and popstars? Where are they getting their food/fuel? Resturaunts? Individual elders? Librarys? Religions? Schools? Are new Transformers being born? (How does that happen in this continuity?) Everything that makes a city and a society real. I want to see clashing cultures from differnt corners of the galaxy, clashing and mixing. New Iacon is now the turn of the century New York City melting pot of Transformers from across the galaxy. Show us what the dynamic exciting culture boom there is really like!

-ZacWilliam, this can all be background to the Bumblebee, Metalhawk, Starscream stuff, that's fine and to be expected. But I want to see it there in the background darn it, as I think it would take a really good comic and make it AMAZING.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 23 February 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#17 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6211 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Great issue. Loved all the continuity nods and the plans within plans being formed behind both faction leaders' backs.

And Starscream stepping forward to create an unintentional triumvirate is perfect. He's always at his best when he has a less clearly-defined goal than "kill Megatron"; makes it that much harder to predict what he's going to do next.

#18 Primer Prime

Primer Prime

SPEAK!

• Citizen
  • 794 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 23 2012, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On another note, what I'd most like to see in this book (which I do really like alot) that we have not yet seen is twofold both dealing with the same general interest:

1) Who are all these weird looking strangely designed NAILs? I mean that literally. Give some of them names. Talk about where certain groups of them came from and why they adapted their odd less-humanoid shapes. So far they've been 100% window dressing and wallpaper. Only humanoid NAILS have gotten names and dialogues while the 99% of them we see are weird-shaped cyphers. Make those into characters and factions too and you vastly deepen your world. I understand the Autobots are our POV but still by showing us who these other very different bots are, what their wants and concerns and such are the whole comic is made deeper and more interesting. Barber is a good enough writter to do this so I hope we get to see it.

2) On a semi related note I really want to see what those who aren't actively forming a government, keeping the peace, or skulking in a cave plotting are doing with their time. A city and a civilization are attempting to form. We've seen so little of a peacetime Cybertron I want to see how your average Cybertronian spends a day. I want to see how commerce is forming (what's the currency?) and are there jobs available? What do civilians DO? are there Arts? Plays? Opera? Street theater? Panhandlers? (Pan-Handler?) Are ghettos forming? Enclaves? Do they have dance clubs? Video Games? TV Newscasters? Celebrities and popstars? Where are they getting their food/fuel? Resturaunts? Individual elders? Librarys? Religions? Schools? Are new Transformers being born? (How does that happen in this continuity?) Everything that makes a city and a society real. I want to see clashing cultures from differnt corners of the galaxy, clashing and mixing. New Iacon is now the turn of the century New York City melting pot of Transformers from across the galaxy. Show us what the dynamic exciting culture boom there is really like!

-ZacWilliam, this can all be background to the Bumblebee, Metalhawk, Starscream stuff, that's fine and to be expected. But I want to see it there in the background darn it, as I think it would take a really good comic and make it AMAZING.

I'm also hoping these things improve... Unfortunately there's a rigidity on the part of both Griffith and Barber that does not inspire my confidence in this matter. It's a REALLY good book so far, but now that I've been spoiled by Roberts I find myself expecting the same colorful range in this book's characters. The intensely political and confrontational focus of the plot doesn't really leave much room for the characters to expand and develop in other ways. Understandably, not every character can be as flamboyant as Swerve, but take Long Haul in this issue for example. That could have been ANY one of the lesser-developed Decepticons. Maybe Barber purposefully used Long Haul so that readers wouldn't be able to tell whether or not he was being sincere to Starscream about his actions... as far as I'm concerned the Constructicons have never been developed particularly well on an individual basis. Though the same can be said about Needlenose and Horri-bull... I'm just glad Horri-bull got the axe instead of Needlenose, as quite frankly the latter has a far more colorful bio to work with (should someone ever actually make use of it, that is).

Despite what I've said about characterization, I think it has probably helped Barber a lot to be using characters that have been developed decently to this point as there are certain things in that vein I really enjoyed about this issue. One of which was Starscream's inner monologue, particularly his intense disdain for Ratbat and his thoughts as he decides to join Bumblebee and Metalhawk on stage. As others have said, I was also very happy that Arcee is still as stabby as ever. Barber's been excellent with his continuity so far. I'm pretty sure this is the first time anyone has even used Ratbat's senator background and personality at ALL since he appears in Megatron Origin... Though his fate certainly helps move the story forward, I was hoping we'd get to see a bit more of him.

#19 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3229 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Another good issue, though like some others I definitely find it second fiddle to the other book. The dialogue and art both seem a bit more rigid...

As I said in the preview thread, I still think Bumblebee's assault on Starscream was out-of-character, but seems to have not been that big of a deal (and mostly just foreshadowing for Prowl's stunsticks later). Starscream still fesses up the plot and Metalhawk doesn't really press Bumblebee too much on it. There's obvious callbacks here to Starscream's double-cross of the Autobots back in All Hail Megatron, so I guess that sort of explains why the Autobots would hate Starscream so much...

Great moment with the page-turn on Arcee/Ratbat too. I chuckled out loud, something I usually don't do when reading comics alone.

I agree with Cyoti that I think, in a perfectly logical world, the Autobots would have undertaken some sort of war crimes tribunal for the Decepticons, or at least most of the "ringleaders". Maybe guys like Ratbat (enslaved) and Shockwave (was pretty neutral until putting Megatron back together) would've gotten off, but guys like Starscream, Soundwave, etc... they'd be dead. If anyone thinks this is offbase, just look at what the Allies did after WW2... lots of those Nazis (and to a lesser extent, the Japanese) got strung up. Prowl really screwed up this chance by deciding to use them as peacekeepers instead. Guess he's trying to atone for that with how he handled Ratbat.

QUOTE("ZacWilliam1")

Agreed strongly. I mentioned this before in the discussion of #1 that it's interesting that we're primarily getting the Autobot's, and to a lesser extent, the Decepticon's view, instead of the civilians. But I think that is limiting the story in some ways. I don't really care about any of these NAILs, at all. They're just background noise, and it's makes it hard to really identify with their outlook. It's far too easy to identify with someone like Prowl, who feels the Autobots deserve to run things because they actually fought the war and stopped the Decepticons from conquering the galaxy.

#20 Cat

Cat

Senior Foreign Correspondent

• News and Content
  • 9810 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

This is definitely my favourite of the two titles.

It's great that both are of such a high quality though.

MP Coin Collector. Currently wanting an Ultra Magnus coin, and happy to pay for your unwanted coin.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users