42 replies to this topic

#21 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9179 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Streak (Bluestreak) and Stepper (Ricochet) according to the TFC Stepper reissue's bio. Oh, and apparently Fusion, too. Too bad this has never been shown in any acutal fiction so far. I'd love to see a writer find a way to explain how a hothead like Ricochet, who can barely stand the company of other Autobots, gets along well with a chatterbox like Bluestreak.

#22 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

I'm different!

• Citizen
  • 14088 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

TFA Bumblebee and Bulkhead are the first Autobuddies that come to mind. Then you have G1 Ratchet and Wheeljack, and on the 'Con side, TFA Lugnut and Blitzwing.

Edited by Spin Out, 21 February 2012 - 03:47 PM.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#23 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 17455 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Prime Wheeljack and Bulkhead.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#24 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

I'm different!

• Citizen
  • 14088 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Feb 21 2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And Prime Knockout and Breakdown on the 'Con side.
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#25 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2873 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Spin Out @ Feb 21 2012, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TFA Bumblebee and Bulkhead are the first Autobuddies that come to mind. Then you have G1 Ratchet and Wheeljack, and on the 'Con side, TFA Lugnut and Blitzwing.

I never really got the impression that Blitzwing and Lugnut were FRIENDS, exactly. Certainly, if they were friends it was a supremely one-sided thing, since Blitzwing seemed to actually disdain Lugnut.

Also, why Ratchet and Wheeljack?

Again -- I don't think, "Paired together regularly" really equates "Friends". The Transformers are in armies. If there's no other evidence, I'd assume a working relationship, rather than an actual friendship.

--Andrew S.
(There's a bunch of 'stated' friends, where you don't actually SEE them interacting as friends. For example, apparently Sky Lynx and Wheeljack were really good friends, according to the US Marvel comics.)

#26 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 21 2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except when Rhinox voted against him and for Dinobot.

Huh. I always thought Cheetor was the one who voted for Dinobot.

On topic, Dinobot/Rattrap is an obvious one that I haven't seen anyone bring up.

Edited by Magnusblitz, 21 February 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#27 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 5889 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Feb 21 2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Jacky and Bulky have a rad bromance.

#28 windsweeper

windsweeper
  • Citizen
  • 1192 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

In All Hail Megatron, Soundwave shows concern for Rumble after he's shot.

Other pairings:

Carnivac and Catilla

Needlenose and Spinister

In the US comics, Sky Lynx and Wheeljack were old buds.

Landmine and Cloudburst

The Race Car Patrol

The Off Road Patrol

Prime and Ratchet

Prime and Ironhide

IDW Megatron and Impactor

Hound and Mirage

Doubledealer and Hot Rod

Trailbreaker and Hound

Edited by windsweeper, 21 February 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#29 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1408 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(Magnusblitz @ Feb 21 2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 21 2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except when Rhinox voted against him and for Dinobot.

Huh. I always thought Cheetor was the one who voted for Dinobot.

Yeah, the defensive stance Cheetor takes when Rattrap demands which one voted for Dinobot, always told me that he was the one who did it. As well as Rhinox's exasperation at the second vote for Dinobot, like he hadn't expected it.

#30 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Animated Blitzwing and Animated Blitzwing. (though not always with Animated Blitzwing).
Reclaim the suffix.

#31 Cat

Cat

Potato

• News and Content
  • 8616 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 21 2012, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cat @ Feb 21 2012, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And.......why Bluestreak and Ironhide?

If they were paired together (I never noticed it) I'd suggest it was because of their voice actors. Casey Casem and Peter Cullen, respectively. Those two would have been employed for nearly every episode -- they also played Teletraan 1 and Optimus Prime. So getting them to play their secondary characters would be cheaper than getting in other voice actors (though there were also rules about how much they COULD double up, which makes it all the more complex).

I would also question the credibility of "they're on screen at the same time a lot" as evidence of them having a specific friendship.

--Andrew S.

It stood out to me, as something I hadn't noticed before.

They weren't just on-screen together, there were specifically interacting with each other, covering each other. Like buddy cops, I guess. 'I got your back'.

#32 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 5554 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

This falls under the heading of reading way too much into things, but it seemed like Wildman would consistently draw some guys together. The only example I can think of is Crankcase and Battletrap, who I suppose were SUV friends.

#33 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage
  • Citizen
  • 1035 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

You know, I always loved the relationship between Kup and Hot Rod in TFTM. Really, not much fiction has looked into it aside from that, or at least most of it deals with their post-Rodimus Prime friendship.

I just liked the dynamic of this arrogant young hothead and this grumpy old man who, despite everything, have this respect for each other and have each other's backs. It helps that Hot Rod seems to be a good guy underneath his attitude (rescuing Kup from the squid without even hesitating) and Kup seemingly having a soft side to him. For me, their camaraderie and friendly bickering really carried the whole film.

Edit: The fact that, by human standards, theirs is already an unlikely cross-generational friendship helped, too.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 21 February 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#34 CORVUS

CORVUS

Yeah, shut up, kid!

• Supporter
  • 28720 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, Hot Rod and Kup in TFTM is a really good one.

#35 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12232 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Ironhide and Optimus in IDW, not too sure about G1. Ironhide was around a lot, but Cullen.

I always felt like G1 Mirage and Hound were good friends. Dunno why, they just seemed like they hung together a lot in MTMTE I guess.

Perhaps G1 cartoon Tracks and Blaster.

Soundwave and Megatron often feel like they are close in the G1 cartoon and at times in IDW.

Perhaps Energon Cliffjumper and Downshift....or was that Downshift and Cliffjumper? On that note, Demolisher and Snowcat shared a friendship of stupidity.

Bumblebee and Bulkhead in Animated, and of course Blitzwing and Lugnut. An argument could be there for Ratchet and Omega.

In Prime, we've got Bulk and Jackie.

Kup and Hot Rod are a great pair. Makes me wish we got more old fogey tfs.

#36 Cat

Cat

Potato

• News and Content
  • 8616 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Oh yeah, Carnivac and Catilla is a definite favourite of mine too.

Guess I didn't realise how many solid 'bromances' (I hate the word sorry, but it seems to fit well here) there really were.

#37 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

President D-69

• Citizen
  • 22236 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

well it does and it doesn't (fit)... its a story about guys (generally) and these things tend to happen

its not like you don't see these kinda topics come up in the pony fandoh my god I'm not even going to finish that thought.

APPLESPARKLE 4EVER!
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

#38 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10247 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(Fear or Courage @ Feb 22 2012, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I always loved the relationship between Kup and Hot Rod in TFTM. Really, not much fiction has looked into it aside from that, or at least most of it deals with their post-Rodimus Prime friendship.

I just liked the dynamic of this arrogant young hothead and this grumpy old man who, despite everything, have this respect for each other and have each other's backs. It helps that Hot Rod seems to be a good guy underneath his attitude (rescuing Kup from the squid without even hesitating) and Kup seemingly having a soft side to him. For me, their camaraderie and friendly bickering really carried the whole film.

Edit: The fact that, by human standards, theirs is already an unlikely cross-generational friendship helped, too.

Their relationship was quite well featured in some UK comics as well. My favourite is the Annual Story "Ark Duty" which has Hot Rod - as usual - rushing into things headlong and making a big mess of carefully laid plans; when he sees the Stunticons attacking Kup. In truth, this was a set-up by Magnus and Kup to make the Cons think they stole the real plans to Autobot City, while Kup was only carrying a fake. In the end, we have a hilarious scene of the two beaten up Bots help each other hobble back to the Ark, while Kup notes Hot Rod's interference actually turned up good since it further convinced Motormaster that the plans were real. When Hot Rod notes that next time, he will rather not jump into things and stay in the Ark, Kup replies with a knowing "Somehow, Hot Rod... I doubt it." icon-hotrod.gif
Their first meeting in "Kup's Story" is also memorable, as it is Hot Rod reminding Kup of his younger self that snaps him out of his suicidal mood.

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 21 2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my all-time favourite TF stories is Marvel issue #23, "Decepticon Graffiti", and it's almost entirely because of the strength of the characters and their relationships. Runamuck and Runabout are one of the only sets of Decepticons that we're shown, in all of G1, having a genuine, hearfelt friendship. these two guys LOVe each other's company, and it's utterly delightful.

I think nearly every other Decepticon 'friendship' is either just a pairing, or something inferred. Even Cyclonus and Scourge aren't really FRIENDS so much as partners... they certainly don't express much affection for each other.

But Runamuck and Runabout delight in going on a massive road trip together, despite the fact that they're horribly destructive monsters. It's really endearing.

--Andrew S.
(And now I've made myself really regret that I'm not getting those Fanclub toys...)

Hear hear! It's one of the reasons I love those two so much. Even in later appareances in Furman's stories (Earthforce and IDW) they seem to work together smoothly and genuinely enjoy each other's company... even if what they do together is causing massive collateral damage while making bad jokes, like in "Perchance to Dream #1". Also, it was touching to see how distressed Runamuck became when the Reapers killed Runabout, throwing caution to the wind to avenge his friend's death.

I'd add Dreadwind and Darkwing to that list as well, though. Even though they mostly just mope and complain about things, when they work together it shows they do care about each other. The best show of this was in IDW's Stormbringer where Darkwing pretty much holds back Dreadwind from directly attacking Thunderwing and rather the two of them make a half-arsed effort only, thus surviving the encounter. 'Out to Lunch' is also a favourite of mine, since it shows the rare occasion how some Decepticons have a 'day off'. icon-hotrod.gif

And last but not least, I'd mention the Mayhem Squad's Needlenose and Spinister - although it is a strained friendship, after Needlenose goes overboard with his cautions due to his (well-founded) fears of Carnivac's revenge. But prior to that, Spinister - a professional soldier - makes a deliberate flop to give Needlenose a chance to avoid execution for his cowardice, because he sees potential in him. Their relationship was not really that well featured in the US comics when they re-appeared as Thunderwing's cronies, but even there, Spinister was the guy who did not take kindly to their boss endangering the lives of his teammates due to his obsession for the Matrix.

I am working on a fanfic myself about the (IDW version) of the Monster Pretenders aka 'Monstructor Six' - considering their predicament of being not only bonded together due to the combining process, but having been locked away in a dimensional pocket for millions of years, I kinda see those six as dysfunctional family, who - although united by chance rather then choice - have grown to a close-knit group of friends due to necessity. It helps that I always found their (G1) bios very interesting, especially Slog's and Icepicks, as they are not your average bloodthirsty Decepticons.

Another unexplored pair are the Con and Bot Clones - their MTMTE bios make them both sound as an interesting bunch.

Oh, and BWII - the Seacons are quite protective of each other, when the Jointrons kidnap Scylla (to have Bighorn "rescue" her and gain her affections), the other Seacons are quick to come to her aid instead. And everyone on the team is quite tolerant of ol' Coelagon, despite the old geezer often falling asleep inbetween sentences. icon-hotrod.gif

Last but not least, I think the only Decepticon Megatron has clearly shown to value more then just a loyal subject is Ravage. In both "The Enemy Within" and "Two Megatrons" this is made quite apparent (where the real Megatron hesitates about killing Ravage who attacked him).

Edited by BB Shockwave, 23 February 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#39 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Tigatron and Airrazor in the Japanese Beast Wars dub.
Reclaim the suffix.

#40 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

President D-69

• Citizen
  • 22236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

beat you to that one man lol,

most of the pair ups in g1 seem in retrospect to be half to do with who was in the booth doing what characters the scripts called for.

got two guys in there doing the a story... well lets have the b story be about other guys they voice.
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users