42 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat
  • News and Content
  • 9307 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Kinda random, I know.

I've been rewatching random G1 episodes, and going through some old TF comics (Marvel, DW, IDW) and noticed a few characters seem to have strong bonds that I hadn't noticed previously.

EG the G1 cartoon - Bluestreak and Ironhide. In MTMTE they're flying together and concerned for the other, and then in 'War Of The Dinobots' we again see Bluestreak doing his best to cover Ironhide, again obviously concerned and looking out for him.

Those two seem like a bit of an odd pairing to me.

Another I noticed is in the comics, Jazz and Wheeljack tend to be paired up quite a bit. This was in the DW and IDW material. Not quite an odd one as Bluestreak/Ironhide, but still something that stood out, and that has been used in more than one continuity in the comics.

So what others ones are there?

Who stands out to you?

And.......why Bluestreak and Ironhide?

Desperately Seeking X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 Lee/Kirby AKA Silver Age. Anyone?

#2 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 45955 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

I've always seen Wheeljack as the nutty field tech to Jazz's smooth super spy. I often have them next to each other on my shelf.
15421072186_462d2859a6_o.jpg

#3 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8584 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

And of course there's Red Alert and Inferno.

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48574 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Skywarp & Thundercracker in IDW and Fun Pub's Classicverse.

Randy

#5 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2835 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Terradive and Jetblade. Their bro-ship is so important it's pretty much the only thing we know about Jetblade.

On a more extensive note, Dreadwind and Darkwing. And UK comic Cyclonus and Scourge.

And the other Cyclonus and Demolishor.

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28847 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Cliffjumper and Mirage. You know...after the whole "Traitor" thing icon-fire.gif

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#7 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

If he gets his way; Swerve and Skids. Or Skids and Swerve.
Reclaim the suffix.

#8 G1MarvelBlaster

G1MarvelBlaster

Give me coffee!

• Citizen
  • 255 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Blaster & Goldbug in Marvel.

#9 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2895 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

One of my all-time favourite TF stories is Marvel issue #23, "Decepticon Graffiti", and it's almost entirely because of the strength of the characters and their relationships. Runamuck and Runabout are one of the only sets of Decepticons that we're shown, in all of G1, having a genuine, hearfelt friendship. these two guys LOVe each other's company, and it's utterly delightful.

I think nearly every other Decepticon 'friendship' is either just a pairing, or something inferred. Even Cyclonus and Scourge aren't really FRIENDS so much as partners... they certainly don't express much affection for each other.

But Runamuck and Runabout delight in going on a massive road trip together, despite the fact that they're horribly destructive monsters. It's really endearing.

--Andrew S.
(And now I've made myself really regret that I'm not getting those Fanclub toys...)

Edited by Boltax, 21 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#10 Classic Tom

Classic Tom

Partying like it's 1933!

• Citizen
  • 5359 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Going from the cartoon:
Hoist and Grapple
Octane and Sandstorm

#11 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2835 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 21 2012, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even Cyclonus and Scourge aren't really FRIENDS so much as partners... they certainly don't express much affection for each other.

I think the lack of affection is what makes them so believable. I don't know about you, but my friends and I spend a lot more time busting each other's balls than we do talking about how lucky we are to have each other...but when it comes down to it, with Cyclonus and Scourge yelling at each other about whether or not it was the right time to shoot Death's Head, Cyc backs down because Scourge says "look, he shot me once, so I shot him back". I can't imagine a Decepticon like Cyclonus accepting that as justification for cooling down unless Scourge's well-being, or at least feelings, were important to him.

And now I feel like Raksha.

Edited by LV!, 21 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#12 Kil

Kil
  • Citizen
  • 6732 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ramjet and Rumble in "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court." Ramjet even calls him "little buddy."

#13 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2895 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

You know what LV? You're right. In fact, you made me think of another one -- the Dinobots.

The Dinobots specifically in the UK comics stories "In the National Interest" and "Grudge Match". In the first story the Dinobots act so much like family/old friends. They bicker, and make fun of each other, and generally banter in such a natural, friend-shippy way. In the second story it's more about pure loyalty -- where the Dinobots come in and beat the crap out of the Predacons, all to save Swoop's pride, as much as saving his arse.

There's a bit of that in "King of the Hill", too, (Marvel US #27) but I think it's strongest in the two UK stories I cited.

--Andrew S.

#14 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2835 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 21 2012, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Dinobots specifically in the UK comics stories "In the National Interest" and "Grudge Match". In the first story the Dinobots act so much like family/old friends. They bicker, and make fun of each other, and generally banter in such a natural, friend-shippy way.

Everyone laughs at Swoop being stuck between modes, but if, like, Cliffjumper or Jazz had shown up and laughed at him? They'd be dead men.

#15 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2895 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

I guess I'm kinda stuck at the moment, thinking about Decepticon relationships.

A common thing in Decepticon relationships is a kind of really one-sided loyalty thing, where the leader has this one guy who is super-ultra-over-the-top loyal to him, but for whom he doesn't really show any affection. Other than that... real realtionships among the Decepticons that aren't built on animosity seem... rare.

So yeah you get your G1 Cartoon Cyclonus, or your Scorponok (or Inferno) in Beast Wars. But those sorta... close friendships are relatively rare.

I think in the G1 cartoon the only Decepticons I can think of who show real genuine loyal comraderie are the Insecticons. They stick together, they back each other's plays. They're a real team. Still... it feels as much like them just sticking together because they're different to other Decepticons as it is them being actual FRIENDS.

Rumble and Frenzy seem to like Soundwave, I guess, or at least have some loyalty to him, based on them defending him in the movie. Though there's absolutely nothing I can think of that shows he actually likes them. The G1 cartoon is actually generally a problematic source for trying to determine actual RELATIONSHIPS between characters.

Oh... of course.

Ransack and Crumplezone! Those two are totally Decepticon BFFs!

--Andrew S.

#16 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17867 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Rhinox and Rattrap were pretty good buds.

#17 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 34152 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Wingus @ Feb 21 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except when Rhinox voted against him and for Dinobot.

#18 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2895 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Cat @ Feb 21 2012, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And.......why Bluestreak and Ironhide?

If they were paired together (I never noticed it) I'd suggest it was because of their voice actors. Casey Casem and Peter Cullen, respectively. Those two would have been employed for nearly every episode -- they also played Teletraan 1 and Optimus Prime. So getting them to play their secondary characters would be cheaper than getting in other voice actors (though there were also rules about how much they COULD double up, which makes it all the more complex).

I would also question the credibility of "they're on screen at the same time a lot" as evidence of them having a specific friendship.

--Andrew S.

#19 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17867 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 21 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Wingus @ Feb 21 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except when Rhinox voted against him and for Dinobot.

Man, being friends with Rattrap doesn't mean Rhinox has to vote for him - stuff he knew about Rattrap as a friend might have swayed that vote away, after all. icon-fire.gif

#20 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

.Des//tron

• Citizen
  • 22413 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Japanese Tigatron and Airazor

O_o

and Cheetor and Tigatron, Terrorsaur and Waspinator hung out...

hmm?

I don't know how to pare up the G1 season 3 cast... most of them didn't seem to have exclusive bffs...
Going back to our regular bi-weekly schedule
Can newer newbs be found? Will the old newbs return? Find out in November!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users