Photo
- - - - -

Those {Like myself} Who have the Hub on comcast..

32 replies to this topic

#1 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

According to the notice in my lastest bill, on March 28th, The Hub and the Science channel are going from Digital starter to perfered, the next step up. Now, my cable and Internet are too huge as it is, and There is no way I can afford a step up from my current package. I don't want to download, and I refuse to give Apple money, so I don't know how I'm gonna be able to see the show.

#2 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

How about online streaming?

There are several live streams each week, ans you'll find all episodes on youtube.

#3 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

That will probably be my move, but Youtube has been having trouble loading recently. It sits and sits and then only loads a quarter of the video.

#4 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

It's a shame that's happening. If they want a greater audience, they should be making the channel more accessible, if anything, not less. It was already a part of premium packages on some services from the beginning, from what I'd heard. Even now, the basic cable packages (IMO, anyway) aren't worth half of what people pay; premium packages even less so. Eventually these companies will price themselves into obsolescence, given the ease with which people can watch the vast majority of things online.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#5 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right Of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 1310 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Oh No! This is......I can't even.........NO....NO.....NO........................

I have Comcast too, but my package is still the original 'Expanded Basic' from way before everything started going digital. My package isn't even listed on the website anymore and hasn't been offered to new people in a couple of years. But those of us that still have Expanded Basic got to keep it.

I haven't seen my bill yet, but I imagine this is going to hit me as well since my package is older than the hills. I'm hoping it won't, but looks like it might. I won't know for sure until I see the bill. In any case, this does not make me happy at all. icon-screamer.gif I can't afford to upgrade, so it looks like if/when this hits me, I won't be able to support the Hub anymore. THAT SUCKS!!! The Hub is one of the very few channels I like watching.

I guess a lot of people are going to end up in the same boat as a vast majority of the fandom are already in, having to catch a stream or wait for the episode to pop up on YouTube.

#6 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

This is going to effect Comcast too? I imagine because of so many people tuning in to watch ponies they decided they could make some money off it by bumping it up a tier. I wonder if The hub will be pleased with this to lose so many viewers and what effect will it have on future seasons if less people watch them?
Spoiler

#7 RC85747

RC85747
  • Citizen
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

The Hub has always been Digital Preferred on my Comcast package.

#8 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

• Supporter
  • 1310 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

Makes sense, since Digital Preferred is a higher level package. Any higher level package is going to have ALL the channels that Digital Starter and my old Expanded Basic has. I think Comcast giving the Hub and other channels the boot from our lower level packages is just Comcast trying to force us into paying into the more expensive packages just so we can watch the channels we should have been able to keep in the first place. Comcast already removed other channels from our lower packages like CMT and replaced it with BBC, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They've been screwing up royally for a while now, and I'm sure all this is going to blow up in Comcast's face in the form of a vast exodus of customers heading over to a cheaper cable provider.

#9 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 7575 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

I don't have any form of TV at all, so I'm not affected by this, but this is still really crappy news.

#10 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Feb 20 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Comcast giving the Hub and other channels the boot from our lower level packages is just Comcast trying to force us into paying into the more expensive packages just so we can watch the channels we should have been able to keep in the first place.

Moving channels out of analog frees up cable bandwidth since the digital equivalent channel can be further compressed. As Comcast delivers more services via IPTV technologies (On Demand services) and rolls out DOCSIS 3.0 across their network, they probably need the space. And Hub's owners probably aren't in a position to negotiate; it was probably only a part of the package it has been because of Discovery Network's bargaining position but with their reduced role they probably aren't putting forth the kind of effort they did to get Discovery Kids down there.
QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Feb 20 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and I'm sure all this is going to blow up in Comcast's face in the form of a vast exodus of customers heading over to a cheaper cable provider.

In most municipalities this isn't an option. Sometimes you have the choice of a telco (i.e., AT&T U-verse or Verizon FiOS) or satellite. Otherwise you go off and assemble your own IPTV package (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live Gold). Cable companies do what they do in part because it's hard to leave.

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30137 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

USED to be hard to leave. Even in area's with no other cable options, you can still go to satelite, and when all else fails you can download or stream content from the internet. At least people within the US have the option of viewing stuff on the hubs website (Yeah, last time I was there, they hosted whole shows online... but as a canadian I was blocked from seeing it.). It's not like there aren't options, its just that some of the options either require more legwork, or are equally or more expensive.

#12 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4606 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure what it's called, but it's actually the third tier package here. It is the ONLY non-sports channel in the package. (or was last time checked)
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#13 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Feb 20 2012, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
USED to be hard to leave. Even in area's with no other cable options, you can still go to satelite...

My apartment has no view of the southern sky, so that's not always viable. This is all stuff I've been struggling with recently as I really don't enjoy paying what I currently pay per month for what little cable television I watch. I'd be happy to give Cartoon Network money for full episodes in HD--which I can't even get now with cable--but I can't. I'd be happy to by a WatchESPN subscription, but I can't. I found out while watching Shin Chan on Hulu yesterday that it's not available on devices like Xbox with Hulu Plus, even though it's accessible for free from a computer. Those arbitrary restrictions really make it tough to drop conventional service providers completely if you want to continue to get access to the entertainment--this, I'm sure, is the point.

Despite the technical justification for Comcast's move, I still completely understand the frustration with this move (as I hope my subsequent comments make clear).

I'm not sure if this is a thread hijack now. If people think it is I can stop.

#14 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I think it get to the heart of the matter very well.

#15 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13609 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm "lucky" in that I split the rent and cable with two roommates, so I'm able to afford a top tier package that happens to include the Hub (I think of the money I could be saving if we didn't have such a luxurious cable package, but they want all those movie and sports channels so oh well).

Even then, I catch all new episodes on You Tube and I don't see them on TV until 2 or 3 weeks later, when they finally show up On Demand. I ocassionally catch the noon reruns on weekdays, but that's only if my schedule lets me and it usually doesn't.

So even WITH the upper tier package that gets me the crapload of channels I never use, I still have to rely on You Tube for new episodes.

Crazy.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#16 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4606 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm so happy Xbox allows Youtube to stream, so now I can watch my shows on the TV instead of my pos computer. icon-hotrod.gif
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#17 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1668 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Feb 19 2012, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eventually these companies will price themselves into obsolescence, given the ease with which people can watch the vast majority of things online.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they're taking so freaking long to do it and that some genuinely good programming is liable to get killed off in the transition. The Internet on its own still isn't a viable alternative to actually getting a show on television in terms of reaching an audience and making money.
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#18 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

• Supporter
  • 1310 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

I am very unhappy! icon-megs.gif

As of this morning, The Hub (along with the Science channel) has been ripped away from my Comcast package. Even though I've been expecting it to happen for over a month now, I'm still angered to find them missing. This saddens me deeply. The Hub and Science channel were the only two higher channels I liked watching. My current package has now been rendered useless to me (as far as higher channels go.). I guess I'll have to consider possibly downgrading to the Economy package of which doesn't have any channels past 98 and save my self about $20 a month.

I'm really going to miss having the Hub. It had become one of my favorite channels to watch. Not only for Ponies, but also for all the other cartoons both new and classic. And now, all of us that have the lower level packages can't support the Hub anymore. I don't know how much this will hurt the pony ratings (and the ratings for other shows like TF-Prime.) I'm hoping the most it'll do is put a small scratch in it. If the Hub/Hasbro notices a drop in ratings, I sure hope they take into consideration the real reason for it and not think that people are losing interest or something.

So, now that I've been robbed of one of my favorite channels, does anyone have a good recommendation for a live stream I'd be able to use when the new eps role around? EqD usually has a list of them, but I don't know which ones are crap and which are the good ones. I would like to be able to catch a live stream that runs clean, clear and smooth. No glitches or lagging. I'll always catch YouTube when new eps come available, but I still want to watch the show when it actually airs. It's going to feel really weird watching ponies via live stream on my computer, rather than on my T.V. during the actual air time.

Edited by Guardian Prime, 29 March 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#19 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I've been sticking with the Bronystate theatres, they seem to be fairly reliable for me, and they always have several running at once, so overcrowding doesn't seem to be a big issue. http://bronystate.du.cx/theater/

Edited by MyLittleEmpath, 29 March 2012 - 01:33 PM.

FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#20 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

I just wait for the 1080p Youtube version, myself. Anyway, now that the time has changed I'd rarely be at home to catch it right as it aired on The Hub. In Canada, it airs (albeit quite far behind) on TreehouseTV, which I didn't know I even got until lately. I've never actually watched it on Treehouse either, though.

Generally, I share your frustration with cable providers. I'm often on the verge of reducing or axing my cable as well, since I don't watch a heck of a lot of it. But last week I got a call from Bell about their new Internet Protocol Television service, which is still only available in specific areas of a couple Canadian cities. I never bothered upgrading my cable packages at all after first going HD since I watch almost everything off Blu-Rays (or DVDs in a pinch), nor after the recent addition of a 3DTV. I never really liked the look of Rogers' Digital cable service, and while Bell's channel lineups looked better their only option (up 'til now) was satellites, which I've always thought were tacky. This new service comes over fiber optic cable (at least as far as the neighbourhood box, and then more conventional wiring from there), though, so there are no more annoying satellites to deal with. IPTV intrigued me enough (as a gadget and new toy) to take Bell's offer and upgrade, since the actual price of it (bundled with a much faster Internet than I had before), worked out to just a few dollars difference to what I've been paying Rogers for their crappy SD service. And it includes a "whole home PVR" setup, that will allow me to access the PVR's recordings (up to 150 hours of HD) from any television hooked up to the system. I'm not sure how much I'll actually record, but it certainly sounds interesting.

But I guess I"ll stick with cable again for a while and give this new thing a spin. Since it's all tied to my Internet now, it feels a bit more like I'm just paying for one thing. And when no TV is being watched, the Internet is supposed to get even faster since it'll have the entire 25Mbps line allocation to play with (which I'm told is going up to 50Mbps soon, to help those who have 4 or 5 TVs).

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 29 March 2012 - 05:31 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users