- - - - -

The Secret World of Arrietty

37 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

Railgun says: 4 Days till Xmas!

• Citizen
  • 15402 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I watched this one today and it was wonderful it might be a little slow to some
and it did not take the turns I expected..thats a good thing I bleave when I though it would go right it went left and left me wanting more from this world and character designs..
The music and sound effects where top notch...sept for that very last credit song dint care for it yet

See it support more films like this

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
G1 Stuff for sale/trade

http://www.allspark....-stuff-from-g1/

#2 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46893 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Just got back from seeing it in Michigan.

GREAT film, I really enjoyed it.

#3 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

Gonna snag it when it hits blu ray.

I've heard good things about this one, and after being let down by "Ponyo" and flat-out disliking "Earthsea", I've been in need of a genuinely good Ghibli flick for a while.

Looking forward to it. (I swear I read a whole mountain of Borrowers books when I was in elementary school, not that I can recall the first thing about em...)

Edited by DrSpengler, 18 February 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#4 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 18497 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Oh wow. I hadn't heard anything about this. Thanks for mentioning it - I'm going to check it out ASAP. Several showtimes within a few miles of home for me, too. (I'm surprised - I thought these usually got a pretty limited release.)

#5 Daith

Daith

Hero of the Battle of Rishi

• Supporter
  • 5811 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

Sadly none of the local Theatres are playing this. Not too surprising after the lukewarm welcome that Ponyo got a few years ago. Debating whether I should take the trip down to Portland or just wait and see if it shows up late.
3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#6 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

Who wants some robot chicken?

• Citizen
  • 6011 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Feb 18 2012, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gonna snag it when it hits blu ray.

I've heard good things about this one, and after being let down by "Ponyo" and flat-out disliking "Earthsea", I've been in need of a genuinely good Ghibli flick for a while.

Looking forward to it. (I swear I read a whole mountain of Borrowers books when I was in elementary school, not that I can recall the first thing about em...)

I, on the other hand, LOVED Ponyo and have heard very little good about this one. The general impression that I get is it's barely better than Earthsea.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#7 Geoff

Geoff

he created the vibe...

• Supporter
  • 1613 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

I thought it was the dullest anime I have ever watched. decidedly unlikable main character and an ending which is the film equivalent of saying hug it...

Follow me on twitter

#8 tec

tec

• Citizen
  • 15402 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

The ending is not what you would expect,and I can appreate that now. I understand now why it happened the way it did.

Edited by tec, 18 February 2012 - 11:40 AM.

G1 Stuff for sale/trade

#9 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'm looking forward to it

#10 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 18497 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Geoff)
I thought it was the dullest anime I have ever watched. decidedly unlikable main character and an ending which is the film equivalent of saying hug it...

Well, I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle, so on that basis, this still sounds like a good time investment. = )

(The only more straightforward cinematic equivalents of "hug it" that come to mind are the endings of Blazing Saddles and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 February 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#11 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Trailer for this one had me interested, so I'll probably see it within the next week.

The dub cast includes Wizards of Waverly Place couple Justin and Juliette so that's pretty cool...

#12 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6570 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Not seen this myself yet, but for those curious about comparing, I understand that the English blu-ray/DVD release of the film - which has been out here for a month or two now - has an entirely different dub with a host of British actors. Seems a lot more fitting for the Borrowers than a buncha Yanks. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by Chris McFeely, 18 February 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#13 tec

tec

• Citizen
  • 15402 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yeah for the first time the english version has two seprate set of actors one for the European release and one for the US release...first time this happend on a Ghibli film

G1 Stuff for sale/trade

#14 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Huh. That IS strange. I'll be getting the R1 version and that set of actors, but I'll be interested in hearing which version people prefer.

Thus far, Disney hasn't done a bad dub of a Ghibli flick ("Princess Mononoke" was their subsidiary, Miramax, so I guess you could blame that one on Disney) so I trust the R1 dub will be competent and well-cast, though the R2 version may turn out to be more so.

Edited by DrSpengler, 18 February 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#15 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6968 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

My daughter wants to see it. She watches Disney a lot and they've been hyping it up, given the voice-actors.

It's her reward for a good second quarter report card.
"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#16 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 18497 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Seeing this in a theater on a weekend was a bad idea and a strange experience. There were - I think they're called children? There were a lot of them. Most of the people who were in the theater who weren't me were children. I only ever really see them on television, when someone's cut school funding again or something.

At any rate, the atmosphere and mood of the film were wonderful; I love how fussy the film is over all the little naturalistic details. And although all characters Miyazaki touches become exactly the same characters, there was nothing grating or unlikable about Teen Leprechaun Nausicaa or Ailing Child Ashtaka. Some of the other characters' dialogue hurt a little, but it was easy to ignore, for the most part, that sounds happened when the characters' lips moved, and still appreciate the rest of the movie. HIGHLIGHT to view:
Sadako's sudden, vocal acceptance that the borrowers are real, immediately after she decides that Hara really has lost it, is exactly wrong. Once she sees the tea leaf and smiles, she doesn't really need to say anything, and she seems to do so only to give Shawn the opportunity to say "borrower" again a few more times, and then explain it again, in case we'd missed it the first several times.

I definitely didn't see any problem with the ending. Rather liked it, in fact. HIGHLIGHT to view:
The voiceover was unnecessary, but events were unresolved in only the good way, and the ending was the actual resolution of an actual narrative arc, which was a change from, say, Ponyo.

I have to repeat the complaint about the terribly out-of-place song added to the credits, though. It didn't sound like a big deal when you guys mentioned it, but as scenes of the movie are in fact still happening during the credits, it really is a bizarre and distracting choice.

Naturally, I really am curious to see the earlier, British dub, now.

Also, there is only reason Ghibli made this film, and that reason is surface tension.

Edit: Swear filter on Ash-taka, seriously? Bleh. = P

Edited by Copper Bezel, 18 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#17 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46893 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

The actor for the Father in the American version is Will Arnett...and he does "Batman voice" the entire movie. Not Bale's gruff Bats but...Batman voice.

It's hilarious.

But if you didn't find find Liam Neeson terribly off-putting in Ponyo you probably won't mind.

Me, I thought it was kinda funny and it still "worked" so it didn't really take me out of the movie.

#18 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23565 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'm not sure if the premise of this one just doesn't really grab me, or I'm a little jaded after being let down by some of the newer Ghibli movies, but I can't find myself too excited. I would say I'll pick it up on DVD, but I've noticed the Ghibli movies rarely seem to get below the $20 line if you can even find them, so I'm not sure. I didn't even get around to seeing Earthsea yet.
"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#19 Deuce

Deuce
  • Citizen
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

I had watched the UK Dub last month when it came out on Bluray and found the film underwhelming. Whilst looking great, the movie is very sedate to the point that not much really happens. This may be due to the way the UK dub cast kinda sleep walks their way through the dialogue. The story doesnt really peak or go anywhere either and I felt it had lost the charm of earlier Ghibli films. My girlfriend, who is the real Ghibli devote of us, didnt enjoy it much either, stating the same reasons I did.

Im intrigued by the voice over added to the end of the US version as there wasnt one for the UK Dub, seems like it would have broken the flow of the ending.

#20 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 3775 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

I watched the UK dub and really liked it. I read some of the books when I was a kid, so the slow, sort of unfinished story wasn't a surprise to me. Beautiful, beautiful art, too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users