86 replies to this topic

#41 tec

tec

Myastur Mispellur

• Citizen
  • 14260 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

While I wont make this out to be a console vs PC debate we can take that to Insert Coin

And do feel sorry for thoses that are gonna miss out of FoC due to lack of a PC port

But what I dont get is why a lot of you dont have a next gen system?
Is it because you keep pumping money into your PC to afford one?

This also meens they saved on resorces so maybe we can get some great DLC
School Scramble

#42 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6779 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm a PS3 owner, so it's not too much of a problem for me.

I've always preferred consoles. The only time I play a game on my computer is when I don't have any other option (ie. I sold my 360 a few years ago, so I play exclusive games on my PC). The supposed improvements of a PC just don't do it for me. To get slightly better graphics, you spend far more on upgrades and the controls tend to suck for most games (I plug a 360 controller in when playing PC games as I hate using the keyboard and mouse).

-----

That said, I wonder if the PS Vita will get a port. Then again, with remote play, that might not even be necessary.
"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#43 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19491 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(tec @ Feb 16 2012, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A PC is something most people have and probably try to keep reasonably up-to-date anyway. So if all the games you want are coming out for the PC, it might make more sense to keep that in top condition than to commit to a console.

Though I'm a console gamer through and through (actually I'm a portable gamer first and foremost, but that is neither here nor there), so emphasis on the "might" there.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#44 CORVUS

CORVUS

Not the one you were expecting!

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Bingo. I haven't had the extra money to commit to buying a console. My PC needs to be replaced, like, yesterday.

#45 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2833 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Feb 16 2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A PC is something most people have and probably try to keep reasonably up-to-date anyway. So if all the games you want are coming out for the PC, it might make more sense to keep that in top condition than to commit to a console.

Yeah, this is more or less my position. I've never really been a console gamer. I've always been more into turn-based strategy and sandbox games, which don't happen very often on the action-oriented consoles. My fondest gaming memories are of Myst, LOOM, SimCity, Civilization II, and the like. These kinds of games don't usually translate out very well to the controller-centric console world.

That and... I can use my computer for just about everything, with few to no limitations. I can have whatever kind of keyboard I want (mm, ergonomic), whatever mouse I want, whatever speakers I want. I can put whatever software on it I want, I can even put a controller on it and play it like it was a console. While consoles are catching up in that area, I will always take the cantankerous but highly flexible PC over the reliable but limited console.
--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#46 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Bristleback hated you all before it was trendy.

• Citizen
  • 9437 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 16 2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 16 2012, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- BB Shockwave, depends on what your definition of "gaming" is. But I am gonna take a guess and say you probably weren't born yet when some of us were playing games on ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64.

Was that Pre-1976?

My Grandfather had a Commodore 64 (I think it's probably still in their basement.) I played a few games he programmed in for it. But we were always a console family. Collecovision with Atari attatchment. Then NES. Then, well every single major console (and some minor) released since then.

We had a couple computers during my childhood, but other than a stint with one of the Space Quest games, and Jeopardy, and You Don't Know Jack it didn't get gamed on much.

Console games just always seemed superior to me. You didn't ever have to worry about wether your system would run them or not or if you'd have to buy new hardware or patch or program or would just be out of luck. You just put the game in and played.

-ZacWilliam, to this day is uncomfortable gaming at his PC. I'd much rather be in a comfy chair with a controller and a big HD tv.

Heh, I am not that old. icon-hotrod.gif Sinclair ZX Spectrum was the first PC (using the word in broad terms) - it needed to be connected to a TV screen and used a special tape recorder for data storage. My dad got one in about 1984-86 to try out a 3D architect software, but he never managed to learn how to work the computer - I on the other hand, was soon writing BASIC programs. I probably still have my Meteors game I programmed on an ancient tape somewhere. icon-hotrod.gif

I guess it's a cultural difference as well - in Hungary, while NES and later SNES made it to the stores shortly before the collapse of the Soviet Union in around 1988, these things were incredibly expensive, and most people could not afford them. Most kids had a C64, and a Gameboy was viewed with awe and reverence. icon-hotrod.gif But when PCs became widespread, they were pretty affordable, and soon people were trading games on floppy disks in school. Ah, memories...

But back on topic - as the esteemed Doctor said before me, I NEED a PC for using various softwares like MS Office tools, Adobe Photoshop, video editing software, not to mention my modding projects on various games - and of course, the internet, watching movies, writing mails, etc... While I'd only use a console for gaming. Well, thing is, my PC can do THAT too.

And as I expressed before, I am not exactly blown away by what consoles can do. Apart from Wii and all these motion-sensor consoles, which I find interesting, just not enough to warrant me shelling out money I could be using for TF purchases (bad habit, but I usually think about all purchases in TF comparisons, when looking for a new coat, what went through my mind was 'I could get at least two complete 88 Targetmasters for this...')

QUOTE(abates @ Feb 16 2012, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They didn't release WFC on PC here - I had to buy a PS3 to play it. The news they weren't even going to bother making a PC port for FOC didn't come as much of a surprise.

Where is here? icon-hotrod.gif If you still want one, I keep seeing the PC version of WFC on sale in TESCOs and Auchans these days for 10$ or less. Got Arkham Asylum for a friend for just 3$ too, on a similar sale.

QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 16 2012, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I'm disappointed. Never had any issues with single player WFC on the PC other than the lack of remapping controls, but that was only a minor inconvenience. Multiplayer is a joke for the reasons already stated, but I still play it anyway.

Yeah, that control remapping was quite annoying, but in a few weeks someone wrote a program for that to alter the controls as you wished, and that fixed it.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 16 February 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#47 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Bristleback hated you all before it was trendy.

• Citizen
  • 9437 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(^0^CORVUS^o^ @ Feb 16 2012, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In conclusion: I understand that this bothers you, but don't project your ideas of what gaming means and who gamers are based on age. Its a mostly-meaningless distinction that doesn't accomplish anything other than hard-feelings.

My reaction to Zac's post was more because of him saying "Computers are for the Internet. Gaming's for consoles." Which I find highly argueable, hence my question about what he considered 'gaming', hard feelings or not.

#48 General Tekno

General Tekno

Nova Mew

• Citizen
  • 1684 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Much as I get why they aren't doing a PC port, being someone who owns no consoles, I'm understandably upset.

Makes sense that it's not economical - it may not be a huge amount of effort to do a barebones PC port, but it means doing a lot more testing on varied machines.

Although when it comes to voice chat limitations? Easy solution - release the game only through Steam, which already has voice chat so you can at least use it among friends. That saves you any distribution costs for manufacturing/publishing, too.

And this "Computers aren't for gaming" thing? My copies of Saint's Row the 3rd, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Mass Effect 1 and 2 (and soon 3), and the rest of my Steam library would like to contest that claim.

Edited by General Tekno, 16 February 2012 - 06:51 PM.

BT Toons - updates Tuesdays and Fridays.
Tekno Reviews: Watch Tekno and the Lugnut-tans review and rate toys!

#49 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25731 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

While I'd only use a console for gaming.

You can also use them for watching DVDs.

I am what I am.

#50 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 1923 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 17 2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(abates @ Feb 16 2012, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They didn't release WFC on PC here - I had to buy a PS3 to play it. The news they weren't even going to bother making a PC port for FOC didn't come as much of a surprise.

Where is here? icon-hotrod.gif If you still want one, I keep seeing the PC version of WFC on sale in TESCOs and Auchans these days for 10$ or less. Got Arkham Asylum for a friend for just 3$ too, on a similar sale.

New Zealand. Thanks for the offer, but I pretty much exhausted its playability on the PS3. icon-hotrod.gif

Sky-Byte for the Transformers Hall of Fame in 2014!
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: because reading about Transformers: Energon is less painful than watching it.

Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#51 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5042 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Feb 16 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you mean or death, you had me confused for a second there. icon-wildride.gif

Randy

...yep. Fixing now.

#52 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 26497 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Not surprised by this in the slightest. I'm guessing PC sales were probably minuscule for WfC compared to the console releases, so it wasn't worth the hassle to do a Windows conversion this time around. You PC guys should have seen this coming when they didn't release most (all?) of the add-on content for WfC for the PC.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#53 Triblurr

Triblurr

Mayhem! Its in you to give!

• Citizen
  • 5431 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Glad I got a PS3 for Christmas.

Visit me on my Webpage!

#54 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2789 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

I can't speak for everyone. But I don't like console gaming. I'm not really a gamer in general... so there's not much point to buy a console when I don't actually CARE about consoles or console games.

That said, I'm not massively broken up about this either. I might have to borrow my friend's PS3 or something when the game comes out.

--Andrew S.
(Or I might just ignore it, as I say, I'm not a fan of console gaming. I'm more at home with a keyboard than a control pad.)

#55 Specimen-17

Specimen-17

In case of emergency, break dance

• Supporter
  • 8079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(tec @ Feb 16 2012, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't play that many games, a PC with a trackball mouse is a better interface for.. well, anything, any previous game I've wanted to play has had a PC release anyway.. Not to mention I actually need a PC for work, and short of playing Blu-Rays, it does anything any console can do.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that a PC is such a money-sink from. I built mine for under ?400 2 years ago, haven't spent a penny on it since and it happily runs Skyrim on Ultra-High settings.

#56 Hecate

Hecate

• Citizen
  • 25731 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 17 2012, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't speak for everyone. But I don't like console gaming. I'm not really a gamer in general... so there's not much point to buy a console when I don't actually CARE about consoles or console games.

That said, I'm not massively broken up about this either. I might have to borrow my friend's PS3 or something when the game comes out.

--Andrew S.
(Or I might just ignore it, as I say, I'm not a fan of console gaming. I'm more at home with a keyboard than a control pad.)

You should get a console for El Shaddai. You'd love it.

I am what I am.

#57 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2789 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 17 2012, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God wants me to have a console?

--Andrew S.
(Maybe HE should buy me one, then.)

#58 Hecate

Hecate

• Citizen
  • 25731 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Boltax @ Feb 18 2012, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 17 2012, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God wants me to have a console?

--Andrew S.
(Maybe HE should buy me one, then.)

Mate, you'd love it. It's about a guy who is sent by heaven to stop some fallen angels, only he takes 300 years to find him and by the time he gets there half of them are dead of old age and one got eaten by a giant jellyfish.

Oh, and then Lucifer brings you a motorcycle from the future to fight a Triple Duobot thingy.

I am what I am.

#59 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

My lack of a Gen 7 console is a few things:
Money
Limited gaming time (Consumed largely by D&D or MMOs)
Too few games to want a console
Generational Drift: 360's failure ratings, Wii's childish library, PS3's price

When the day comes, I will go PS3 out of brand loyalty.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#60 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Feb 17 2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the day comes, I will go PS3 out of brand loyalty.

And then Playstation 4 comes out. icon-blitz.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users