• Citizen
  • 10602 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Feb 16 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 16 2012, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Feb 17 2012, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 16 2012, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good, the less shoddy ports, the better. If it's developed on Console, keep it on Console.

There's a flaw in your reasoning. No need for it to be a "shoddy port".

Except time, money, and patience.

There is no reason people cannot put the effort in to make a good port and thereby gain additional income from the product.

Your missing the part where they've looked at the situation and said "We don't have the skills to do this as well as it should be done. The money isn't worth hiring out or the hit we'd take for doing it poorly. Let's stick with what we do well."

Just cause you wish to play it on the PC doesn't mean it would be a good idea for them to try and make it.

-ZacWilliam, Sure if they threw enough time and money at it they could probably make a decent port but they know better than us whether that's a good proposition for them.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#22 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27505 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Feb 17 2012, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good, the less shoddy ports, the better. If it's developed on Console, keep it on Console.

There is no reason people cannot put the effort in to make a good port and thereby gain additional income from the product.

Only if they have the effort to spare? FoC is based on a licensed product, which would definitely involve them having a deadline, as that comes with the territory of a larger franchise so that said franchise can pencil it in to their schedule. The studio creating it is not some big-name company who has crack teams all over the globe. High Moon has made exactly five games, and only one of them featured a PC version, which was WFC.

Basically, with a game like this, they had to pick consoles, because Transformers as a brand which attracts kids and younger players, who tend to have videogames consoles not high-spec PC gaming rigs. They did attempt a PC version with WFC, but obviously that wasn't commercially viable because they aren't doing it again.

Which isn't terribly surprising.

#23 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32087 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 16 2012, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Feb 16 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your missing the part where they've looked at the situation and said "We don't have the skills to do this as well as it should be done. The money isn't worth hiring out or the hit we'd take for doing it poorly. Let's stick with what we do well."

Just cause you wish to play it on the PC doesn't mean it would be a good idea for them to try and make it.

-ZacWilliam, Sure if they threw enough time and money at it they could probably make a decent port but they know better than us whether that's a good proposition for them.

Fair enough. But I'm a PC gamer. I'm allowed to gripe about bad ports and lacking ports. icon-fire.gif

#24 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35099 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ehh. I was planning on getting it for the Xbox 360 anyways.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#25 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1744 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 16 2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's especially surprising they'd cite these reasons, when WFC has gotten extremely good reviews for PC as well. And I never experienced any performance issues either.

I have, in multiplayer.
The online users counter is inaccurate. Sometimes it shows that no one is online even when there are.

Searching for available matches can often get stuck in a loop.

Friend list is glitchy and often I can't add anyone.

And then there's cheating.

#26 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18186 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Feb 16 2012, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waits for Quantumhawk to post...

Randy

LOL...I saw VP's post on Facebook and came here in a rampage all ready to throw a fit about it.

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Feb 16 2012, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(No server/room migration, no checks on cheater/hackers, no DLC cause they are jerks).

Well, never mind, looks like my work here is done.

Although you could add: no keyboard remapping, neutered framerate, no voice chat, no text chat, no cycle players option in Escalation, as well as a number of other glitches and problems.

#27 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5137 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 16 2012, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is this news to anyone?

They've been saying exactly this since they announced the game.

I second this. We've known this for about half a year.

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

Yeah, shut up, kid!

• Supporter
  • 28754 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 16 2012, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- BB Shockwave, depends on what your definition of "gaming" is. But I am gonna take a guess and say you probably weren't born yet when some of us were playing games on ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64.

Hi there. I was born in 1970, and I've played games on all manner of consoles from early home PONG consoles, to the Fairchild Channel-F, to the Atari VCS and of course on down the line since then. I've also played computer games on the C64 and the C Vic-20, as well as the Atari 400 and 800, as well as several TANDY and Amiga models, the IBM PS2, and on up the line to the present day.

And yet I -STILL- don't care about them not porting it to the PC. The problem with PC ports is that there are a myriad of machines out there with different technical specifications, and that's just the commercially-released versions, and doesn't count home-built rigs like mine. I'd much rather them spend time on making the console versions as good as possible as opposed to spending valuable time on what would likely be a buggy PC port.

In conclusion: I understand that this bothers you, but don't project your ideas of what gaming means and who gamers are based on age. Its a mostly-meaningless distinction that doesn't accomplish anything other than hard-feelings.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#29 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1744 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Feb 16 2012, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 16 2012, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is this news to anyone?

They've been saying exactly this since they announced the game.

I second this. We've known this for about half a year.

Can't speak for others, but I was hoping they'd change their mind...

#30 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55082 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

In the article that the site you linked to actually references, they explain exactly why:

"I think there are a few things that are inherent in what PC consumers are looking for that frankly we didn't deliver good on."

Things like customizing your user interface, remapping your controls, and "some of the voice over stuff," Tieger continued. "A lot of that stuff is easy or comes inherently on the console."

Not so easy on the PC, as it turned out. "We were spread so thin that I feel like we barely served that audience. Then there were some issues with continued support that were frankly beyond our control, but at the same time did not create a great experience for PC gamers that got it."

Rather than attempt to create a third version of Fall of Cybertron that the developer couldn't properly support, High Moon decided to skip the PC altogether. It was a hard decision, but one that makes perfect sense.

Those are solid reasons.

#31 Specimen-17

Specimen-17

In case of emergency, break dance

• Supporter
  • 8079 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well I'm disappointed. Never had any issues with single player WFC on the PC other than the lack of remapping controls, but that was only a minor inconvenience. Multiplayer is a joke for the reasons already stated, but I still play it anyway.

#32 OmegaX80

OmegaX80
  • Citizen
  • 1279 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

It sounds like there was a lot of problems with the PC version of WFC. Maybe that is what led to their decision not make a PC version of FOC.

I am surprised that they can't figure it out. I don't play PC games, but was WFC that bad on a PC?

#33 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55082 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I imagine he wishes he didn't say they couldn't figure it out when what he meant was that they couldn't afford to pump money into developing it because it would require a separate set of programmers.

#34 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3315 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(OmegaX80 @ Feb 16 2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like there was a lot of problems with the PC version of WFC. Maybe that is what led to their decision not make a PC version of FOC.

I am surprised that they can't figure it out. I don't play PC games, but was WFC that bad on a PC?

I never really played the multi-player mode, so I can't comment on that. The single player mode was good enough for my taste, though a little clumsy. I never encountered any game-breaking bugs or anything.

Honestly... I don't think it was as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Most of what I hear seems to be in the realm of left out features, which, if they had more resources, they could probably fix for the sequel. But if they really don't, then I can understand why they'd just go for a console version.

Maybe they'll do a Wii version and I can play that. Anyone tried out Cybertron Adventures? How did that do?

0n39.png

#35 Dezarus

Dezarus

Emperor of Destruction

• Citizen
  • 1298 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Man this is so disappointing I feel the need to actually post. I was really looking forward to playing this but now, I guess I'll have to go without icon-screamer.gif

#36 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18186 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Feb 16 2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly... I don't think it was as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Most of what I hear seems to be in the realm of left out features, which, if they had more resources, they could probably fix for the sequel. But if they really don't, then I can understand why they'd just go for a console version.

Maybe they'll do a Wii version and I can play that. Anyone tried out Cybertron Adventures? How did that do?

It's hard for me to understand why they didn't have resources to fix or develop the PC version given that they had SALES of the PC version to go off of. DLC should have paid for itself if they'd released it in a timely fashion. I guess it's easier to just take whatever profits you can get and call it a day rather than recycle them into improving the product.

The Wii version was a completely different game. I understand it was ok for what it was.

#37 Admiral Lilwall

Admiral Lilwall

Lilwall Leader

• Citizen
  • 1311 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

no! icon-screamer.gif

that stinks to high moon.

no game for me then either
'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'
Lilwall.net

#38 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5137 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Feb 16 2012, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hard for me to understand why they didn't have resources to fix or develop the PC version given that they had SALES of the PC version to go off of. DLC should have paid for itself if they'd released it in a timely fashion. I guess it's easier to just take whatever profits you can get and call it a day rather than recycle them into improving the product.

Let's not forget that this is Activision we are dealing with. Massive profits or death, there is no middle ground.

Edited by Creature SH, 16 February 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#39 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48217 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I think you mean or death, you had me confused for a second there. icon-wildride.gif

Randy

#40 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 2154 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

They didn't release WFC on PC here - I had to buy a PS3 to play it. The news they weren't even going to bother making a PC port for FOC didn't come as much of a surprise.
TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: more comprehensive than Teletraan I, longer lasting than Teletraan II, not as violent as Teletraan 10.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users