My thoughts on issue # 2 commentary track style:
Warning. Lots of obtuse, half-explained, and random SPOILERS
- Know these first pages really well from reading the preview a bunch, almost to the point where they feel like something that happened last issue. But it feels weird to skip over them, so commenting away...
- Love that Brainstorm is so in character. This is exactly who he should be. Proud, impatient, less mature prodigy that probably overrates himself a decent amount.
- Duobots are neat. If you're gonna invent original characters basing them on an existing concept/gimick is a neat way to make it work.
-Love the sudden nervousness from Brainstorm when he realizes Magnus might have heard him. Every one has so much character in pretty much every interaction. It just makes the series amazing.
-Boy Cyclonus is having a bad day.
-Skids has a great very Dr. Whoish introduction. Especially the warning behind him. Apparently he knew he would have a total memory failure. The question is why?
- And here Skids goes a bit Action Hero, while still having a very David Tennent Dr.Who ness about him. It's definately a new take on him, but it's fun and given his situation is a complete mystery to him as well as us, that's actually fine with me. I'm looking forward to seeing where Roberts takes him.
-Heh, 1984. That number can't be at all meaningful to TF fans. ;-) looking forward to seeing what it actually means eventually.
- I like Rung and Ratchet but I think the most interesting thing here is that we seem to be catching a Ratchet whose just at the point of transition between being the old classic miracle worker/reluctant warrior Ratchet of The 80s and the old, worn and a bit grim old-man Ratchet of the new media (Animated, Movies, Prime). This Ratchet is just begining to really feel his age and is annoyed by it. A really interesting point of transition to catch him at.
-Roberts may save Drift as a character yet. Relentlessly positive, new age-spiritual Drift is fun enough to make me kinda want the toy. Everyone's response to him really helps to sell it too.
- SWERVE ROCKS. Even if he wasn't awesome throughout (and he is) his line here about Whirl's facial limitation motivated rage would win the issue.
- See previous comment, re:Swerve is awesome.
- Also, this is a good point to stop and say Milne really hits it out of the park this issue. I was worried that Roche's awesome new designs for the minibots wouldn't translate to anyone else's style but no, Swerve and Tailgate both look just as awesome and cute here.
Pages 11 and 12
- Ouch. Hard landing I guess.
- I had a disconnect for a second when Skid says he's unarmed and isn't. Figured it was an art mistake. But worry not, this isn't Heart of Darkness, this is, it turns out, intentional. It wasn't till my second read through that I really pick up how much Skids doesn't know what he's holding, like with taking Hyperion's gun. We'll come back to it.
- I like that Roberts is killing some new guys here. What LSotW did was show us that it's ok to kill characters if you make people care about them and?their deaths matter. If your gonna kill folks like this though. In an accident when they're not getting development before or after other than as weaponizing corpses I think new characters are mostly the way to go.
- Ok, when first reading this page I was very confused because I thought Ratchet had had Cyclonus brought aboard with Whirl and Tailgate at the end of last issue. I went back and looked though and nope, turns out I was wrong. He only talks about taking the other two aboard ship. I would say it's pretty harsh that they leave him beaten into unconciousness lying face first on the ground, but then he's been widely assumed to be a Decepticon so under those particular circumstances I think I can see them leaving him.
- ?Kinda cool to have Magnus and Cyclonus in the same room and on the same side for the first time since "The Killing Jar".?
-Cyclonus shows his true colors. And it couldn't happen to a more deserving robot. Whirl should be worried. Very worried.
- Love Swerve's alt mode. So cute.
- it's hard to say what I like more here. Tailgate's definition of "Metallurgist", the 2001 a Space Oddessey joke with Rewind, or that thanks to Swerve's comment a couple pages back Tailgate seems to actually think Whirl's name is "Nut-Job". The last one I think.
Page 16 and 17
- This is not your Father's Skids. Maybe he got lost on the way to some universe where he kicked total @$$
- for the record it's:?"Deep down, we are more like than unlike humans." Which, if less than dynamic, makes sense with him being an Anthropologist and all. Less so if he's never been to Earth in IDW continuity.
- Yeah. See. Whatever that is in his hand he's got a literal blind spot to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something beyond a normal gun. Also... Does Tailgate recognize 1984.3?
- Ooh, Blaster and Brawn came with them. Cool.
- Wow Cosmos got a size-lift. Who's he think he is, Seaspray?
- Rodimus' final line on the page is just great.?
- Ok, I don't know any non repetitive way to say I love Swerve at this point.
- Also, I think I agree with Skids.
- I can't tell you how happy I am that Wavrider and the other obscure folks sucked out last issue will live.
- Boy when Tailgate said he'd take Transforming slow, he meant it!
- This is why Rodimus is a better leader than Magnus or Drift could ever be.
- Reclaim the Suffix! I will buy any toy Hasbro ever makes of him. But I guess Crusaderbot works too. Could we steal "Questors" from the Japanese?
- It's not a good day to be a Duobot.
- annnnd now it's hard to tell them apart again.
- It's probably an entirely new monster but if the Sparkeater turned out to be in anyway related to Bomb-Burst (yeah, I know he's dead) it would be the first time anyone actually used his awesome bio. Anyway even entirely unrelated I'm sure it'll be awesome.
Usually if I read a 5 page preview the rest of the issue would feel short when the actual book comes out. This book is so full of great writing and art it still felt like a full issue. And a great one. Can Not Wait to be back for issue #3. I hope this era of Transformers goes on forever.
-ZacWilliam, I'd buy this book weekly if I could...
Edited by ZacWilliam1, 15 February 2012 - 04:58 PM.