Photo
- - - - -

Something that bugs me about the new Prime toys.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

The artist formerly known as Hornet

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Prime and Megatron are suppose to be the main draws of every TF toyline, but their TF: Prime: RiD toys are made from a lot of transparent plastic which will probably crack and break within two years. To me, that kind of makes it feel like Hasbro isn't planning long term with this toyline. It kind of feels like Hasbro expects kids to get bored of Prime long before they end up breaking the toys of the two most important characters.

#2 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 34078 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

And then in two years when the toys break, the kids have to by another representation of Optimus and Megatron. Whereas if the toys remained intact, kids would have a lot less strong inclination to buy more toys of those same two characters.

Seems like they are looking at the long-term to me icon-hotrod.gif

#3 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

I don't think that's exactly what's going to happen. Plastic formulas on toys are different nowadays, and have different mechanical properties. I was fearing that my PCC caliburst was going to bite the dust early beacause he's comprised almost entirely of transluscent plastic. and god knows I've fiddled with the litlle bugger's arms and powerlinked him to nearly half of my collection but he's still solid. his transluscent plastic and PCC pinpoint's seems to be a just a liiiitle gummier than the old energon clear-tinted gunk, and maybe that helps the figures lifespan somehow.
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#4 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

None of my BM toys have broken and they're covered in clear plastic.

#5 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27777 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

The clear plastic is actually rock candy.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#6 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Citizen
  • 2753 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 14 2012, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The clear plastic is actually rock candy.

Say goodbye PCC Minicons.

#7 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

• Citizen
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

most of my BM stuff is okay but sadly that wasn't my case with BM Mirage. I bought him twice and bot times the shoulder pins were too tight , and the clear pieces broke, starting with a teeeensy crack. same with my Movie 1 Jazz sword cannon. I don't know if it's the weather here or anything, but some older toys plastics feel really stiff and not flexible at all compared to the new ones: My movie 1 legends movie barricade arms feel more fragile than his DOTM Cyberverse counterpart. Even a peg broke while just transforming him! but nothing happened to his DOTM self while doing the same thing.

Edited by Pony of Merak, 14 February 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#8 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

The artist formerly known as Hornet

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(Pony of Merak @ Feb 14 2012, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
his transluscent plastic and PCC pinpoint's seems to be a just a liiiitle gummier than the old energon clear-tinted gunk,

I did notice this with the Animated toys. The transparent plastic seemed to become more flexible when the temperature was warm and didn't feel quit as brittle.

#9 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2891 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ Feb 14 2012, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, that kind of makes it feel like Hasbro isn't planning long term with this toyline.

I don't think they're planning short-term with this toyline either.

#10 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

• Citizen
  • 3252 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ Feb 14 2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
his transluscent plastic and PCC pinpoint's seems to be a just a liiiitle gummier than the old energon clear-tinted gunk,

I did notice this with the Animated toys. The transparent plastic seemed to become more flexible when the temperature was warm and didn't feel quit as brittle.

DOTM roadbuster small back windows have this same feel you describe , in fact, except for the green plastic used for the car shell, he seems mostly made of a semi-fleshy plastic of sorts. it makes it hard for him to hold some of the mech tech weapons since the thumb bends and provides no solid grip, but is a minor inconvenience because of the forearm ports and the 3mm bars close to the hands.

#11 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 45793 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ Feb 14 2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's physics for ya!
15421072186_462d2859a6_o.jpg

#12 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13259 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Aside from plastic being a bit different and seemingly better now - a two year play pattern is probably about all Hasbro aims for with "average" kids. Maybe three at most. Don't forget, we are the anomaly in the equation. The target audience for say, Transmetal Megatron was not expected to still be tfing him fifteen or even ten years later. It sucks that he snaps at the waist now if you're not careful, but he met and exceeded his planned lifespan.
PApddmT.jpg

#13 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22380 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

yeah its not like the idea was ever for people to still have massive collections of the things for their grandkids to come over and look at all mint on card and graded.
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#14 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28792 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Feb 14 2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside from plastic being a bit different and seemingly better now - a two year play pattern is probably about all Hasbro aims for with "average" kids. Maybe three at most. Don't forget, we are the anomaly in the equation. The target audience for say, Transmetal Megatron was not expected to still be tfing him fifteen or even ten years later. It sucks that he snaps at the waist now if you're not careful, but he met and exceeded his planned lifespan.

Transmetal Megatron thinks he's G1 Mirage!

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#15 Guest_MagmatronPrime_*

Guest_MagmatronPrime_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 14 2012, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then in two years when the toys break, the kids have to by another representation of Optimus and Megatron. Whereas if the toys remained intact, kids would have a lot less strong inclination to buy more toys of those same two characters.

Moral questions about designed-to-fail products aside...

I'm pretty sure Hasbro would have to go even further down hill if they can't put out a better Prime and Megatron figure than the Prime line's figures. In fact, considering the absurd availability of Prime 1st edition... you know what? Never mind. I've got laundry I could be doing, and nails I could be clipping, and phone books I could be reading. All of which are far more interesting than talking about transformers these days it seems. icon-screamer.gif

Edited by MagmatronPrime, 14 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#16 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13259 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(MagmatronPrime @ Feb 14 2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Feb 14 2012, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moral questions about designed-to-fail products aside...

I'm pretty sure Hasbro would have to go even further down hill if they can't put out a better Prime and Megatron figure than the Prime line's figures. In fact, considering the absurd availability of Prime 1st edition... you know what? Never mind. I've got laundry I could be doing, and nails I could be clipping, and phone books I could be reading. All of which are far more interesting than talking about transformers these days it seems. icon-screamer.gif

One really has to stretch to state Hasbro is guilty of planned obsolescence. These aren't real cars and planes - they're plastic toys for what, ten to twelve year olds? I mean, I know we're all crusty and bitter that Hasbro hasn't done what we specifically want them to but one teeters on the brink of conspiracy theorists if one believes Hasbro actively designs toys to self-destruct in a couple of years. If that's truly the case they're actually doing a pretty lousy job considering the few that go bad compared to the many many MANY that do not.

And hey, if you're really that disappointed in Prime I've got great news for ya - there will be something new in a couple of years! icon-fire.gif
PApddmT.jpg

#17 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I dislike the clear plastic because I don't think it looks good. Prime's arms just look weird.

#18 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3339 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(Professor @ Feb 14 2012, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dislike the clear plastic because I don't think it looks good. Prime's arms just look weird.

This. I would be a lot less adverse to the RiD Prime if his arms wasn't so translucent. I mean, it looks like a neat gimmick, but yeah...

0n39.png

#19 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22838 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

I always worry more when its used as joints. The biggest contributer to this is E Demolishor. I don't know about others, but trying to move his elbows was always extremly stiff, and after few years, both elbows crumbled into dust. I've never had much problem with it when used otherwise. But It makes me always cuatious about my Animated Swindle as he has a lot of transparent joints.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#20 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

My Demolishor is fine, too!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users