...AND THAT'S TERRIBLE.

#2 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7434 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

Was meaning to search for a trailer for this, but sometimes things just happen.

SO. FRIKKIN. SEEING THIS!!

#3 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 8992 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Well. I'm quite excited now.

#4 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34984 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Awesome!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#5 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

I heard the book was kinda... awful.

Maybe the movie will be some silly fun. Looks like it.

#6 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4051 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

icon-silverbolt.gif It's so silly and out there... it's awesome!
-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."

#7 Galenraff

Galenraff

Oh, by the way I've cracked the code.

• Special Projects Manager
  • 31034 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

The book was entertaining, and wove some pretty believable vampire hunting into what otherwise would have been a decent straightforward biography.

This trailer makes it look like he's going to be too "purely badass" rather than truly thoughtful and deliberate like the historical figure as well as the character in the book. It's those qualities which made the book interesting, not the way he was *also* being badass.

I think Burton is probably going to be to the movie's detriment as well.

All that said, I'm sure it'll still be a fun popcorn movie.

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#8 Apostrophe

Apostrophe
  • Citizen
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I enjoyed the book but I'm going to need to see another trailer before deciding how badly I'll want to see it. I think it works better when the humor of the situation is played up more than the action. I'm thinking more Hot Fuzz less Underworld:whateveronethey'reonnow. The cast seems to indicate this is more just a first look trailer that emphasizes the wrong aspect of the movie, happens pretty often.

#9 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Aw'man, I'm never the first at posting movie things, I'm sure if I posted it last month when I first seen it, I would have been first QQ
Spoiler

#10 DarkDestroyer

DarkDestroyer
  • Citizen
  • 4403 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Count me in. I've been excited for this for a long time. The book is a lot of fun and the author also wrote the screenplay which is kind of rare these days. Nicholas Hoult plays Abe (he was last in X-Men: First Class), and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is Mary Todd Lincoln. This is actually one of my top ten most anticipated films of this year. Can't wait for it.

Dark Destroyer
The Destroyer of Worlds

#11 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional pain-in-the-ass

• Citizen
  • 4079 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Johnny Cash vocals in trailer.... awesome.
Its not broken.... its ADVANCED!

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34442 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Just finished reading the book...wasn't impressed.

As a fan of Horror Comedy, there were only a handful of situations that could be called "humorous", but the fact the author calls attention to these sequences sucks the humor out of them.

As a fan of History, this book infuriates along the same vein of Beck and O'Reilly's "Action-History" tales. The implication that World War 2 somehow was the "sequel" to the Civil War was especially jarring. That being said, the irritation more stems from the flippancy the author treats historical figures and events to serve for his "plot". The actual historical research is incredibly well done and brought to life vividly. Case in point: I had to go research John Parker after reading the book because it all sounded so incredible. Sure enough...Lincoln's Bodyguard at the Ford Theater on the night he was assassinated did indeed move from his place by the box to a seat where he could see the stage and then ended up in a bar across the street drinking.

What the book failed to mention (Quite to my shock, since it is a juicy little bit) is that the inept guard was assigned to guard Mrs. Lincoln after the assassination. She didn't take it well.

As a fan of classical Vampires, this book is actually a treat and is the only reason I actually kept reading. The Vampire Hunting scenes are all extremely dynamic and engrossing, and the Vampires are represented well and the alterations made to them (The older they get, the more tolerant they are to daylight, but their eyes remain sensitive and thus normally walk around with dark tinted glasses) were decent.

Overall, I could have forgiven the book if it weren't for the final chapter. Talk about a cop out ending that makes no lick of sense in regards to the character presented over the course of the book. Much like David Weber's Out of the Dark an otherwise fun romp is marred beyond redemption by a lousy, out of nowhere ending.

I'll likely pass on the movie.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#13 CORVUS

CORVUS

Yeah, shut up, kid!

• Supporter
  • 28609 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Ouch! Doesn't sound good.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#14 Galenraff

Galenraff

• 31034 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I hadn't been infuriated with the flippancy with which it treats historical figures. The man was President - of course he's going to have run into many important historical figures as a matter of course. icon-hotrod.gif

I can forgive the recasting of the Civil War to be about something it wasn't really about, because that conceit set up, as you put it Rust, set up some pretty entertaining vampire hunting scenes.

As I said above, I was impressed by how much it wasn't actually meant to be a comedy, but was a pretty serviceable biography of Lincoln. I mean, if you cut the vampire stuff out, you'd have learned a lot about the kind of man he was, his career path, and the ethical and military struggles he endured during the war. It's the concept that's silly, but the book still took itself seriously enough to not be too ridiculous.

I agree though, the ending sort of boned some of that just for the sake of coming up with something kewl. So that stank. But that hardly colored my whole perception of the book.

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34442 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Apr 4 2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree though, the ending sort of boned some of that just for the sake of coming up with something kewl. So that stank. But that hardly colored my whole perception of the book.

HIGHLIGHT to view:

Lincoln was adamant about his hatred of Vampires to the point he twice refused to "damn" his dead children when Henry offered to raise them afterward. At what point did Henry think Abe would take being raised himself well?

Just a stupid set up that lets Lincoln be there for MLK Jr's Speech. Not even bothering to wrap up that doofy shop keeper set up from the opening.

photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#16 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10171 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

So, when can we expect a movie revealing that Stalin was a literal man of steel, being a cyborg sent from the future by communist agents?

Or about Elvis' adventures in out of space, after he was abducted by aliens? icon-hotrod.gif

Oddly, this movie doesn't seem to be about to be released in Hungary anytime soon, I guess I'll have to find some good cams, as I am interested in this, despite the goofy setup. Vampires or no vampires, I always found Lincoln an interesting historical figure.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 05 April 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#17 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22679 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Apr 5 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or about Elvis' adventures in out of space, after he was abducted by aliens? icon-hotrod.gif

Well we kinda got that, Retired old Elvis fighting a soul stealing Mummy icon-waspy.gif

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#18 Galenraff

Galenraff

• 31034 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yep! Right there with you on both those points, Rust!

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#19 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 8003 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

The trailer gives me the impression that Lincoln will probably only have his beard for 20 minutes and the rest will be a 'young Lincoln' for the ladies.

I will get no small amount of amusement when/if deviantart and tumblr are flooded with historically-inaccurate Lincoln fangirls and pretty-boy/bishie Lincoln fan-art.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#20 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4051 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

... some males look good with a beard. Just sayin'

...not that I'm biased... much...

Edited by The Jawa Muse, 05 April 2012 - 11:54 AM.

-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users