66 replies to this topic

#41 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 840 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

I liked the oblique reference to Rescue Bots when Bulkhead mentions that they could be sent to some island. icon-fire.gif

#42 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 4674 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Moroboshi @ Feb 20 2012, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked the oblique reference to Rescue Bots when Bulkhead mentions that they could be sent to some island. icon-fire.gif

It was a reference to both Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon where the Autobots operated out of Diego Garcia and were shot into space.
"Do not be led by others, awaken your own mind, amass your own experience, and decide for yourself your own path." -The Atharva Veda

#43 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17862 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(Mako Crab @ Feb 19 2012, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
* Soundwave dispatches intruders with ease! This guy is quickly becoming the 'con to look out for. And also. . . he can open a space bridge ANYWHERE AT WILL!!

Didn't see that so much as him having the ability to open them at will as much as remote-controlling their groundbridge. Either way, it's still pretty slick.

#44 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46018 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Kevin S @ Feb 19 2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overall, a good episode. HIGHLIGHT to view:
I am somewhat disappointed, in that Megatron didn't spin the Decepticon cause in a manner that didn't just reverse their role with the Autobots. I prefer a villian, who at has reasons for his actions, not just one who is unrepentantly evil. It could have been interesting to see him try to sway Orion.

Also, a map to more McGuffins... Uh yay?

I figure they already covered that ground when Orion and Megatron first went their separate ways due to "irreconcilable differences"

#45 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6127 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Can't believe I missed this on Saturday. And my DVR somehow forgot what "series record" means between now and the last new episode. So, thank god for Youtube!

(Though, seriously, not one encore presentation on Sunday? The Hub's lineup can't be so stellar they can't make that happen. I saw what must've been four episodes of Dan Vs. on the schedule)

The opener was fantastic. I especially loved how Megatron avoided many of the common tropes of bad guys in his exact position, while noting the inevitability of the ruse eventually ceasing to work.

QUOTE(Kevin S @ Feb 19 2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am somewhat disappointed, in that Megatron didn't spin the Decepticon cause in a manner that didn't just reverse their role with the Autobots. I prefer a villian, who at has reasons for his actions, not just one who is unrepentantly evil. It could have been interesting to see him try to sway Orion.

To be fair, it's pretty tough to spin Megatron's basic philosophy of "I deserve to be in charge because I'm willing to kill the most people to do it." Probably the best way to think of it is that Megatron believes he's in the right, but is smart enough to recognize that even an amnesiac Optimus would disagree.

#46 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 3775 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Feb 20 2012, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kevin S @ Feb 19 2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair, it's pretty tough to spin Megatron's basic philosophy of "I deserve to be in charge because I'm willing to kill the most people to do it." Probably the best way to think of it is that Megatron believes he's in the right, but is smart enough to recognize that even an amnesiac Optimus would disagree.

We haven't exactly had this Megatron's philosophy hashed out. We know he started out as a gladiator, & created something of a political party from thoses beginnings. Realistically, there has to be more to the Decepticon cause, that Megatron just being a big alpha dog.

From the little snippet Ratchet told us about Cybertron's history, it sounds like the government was corrupt. Autobots & Decepticons parted ways on how best to fix things. Decepticons opted for a dictatorship, under a strong leadership. Autobots... Well, I get the feeling they are opposed to the Decepticons, mostly in opposition to their tactics. And don't want to follow Megatron.

How Megatron personally justifies this struggle, might be interesting.

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Feb 20 2012, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figure they already covered that ground when Orion and Megatron first went their separate ways due to "irreconcilable differences"

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in finding out more, or having some real motivating factors behind these characters. Not just stereotypes.

Edited by Kevin S, 20 February 2012 - 08:16 PM.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#47 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 45105 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

HIGHLIGHT to view:

I just saw it on
youtube. Hopefully the show can stay like this. Ya know, not boring.
15074404435_f4099735b8.jpg

#48 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 16874 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

I love that Soundwave's bit is something that theoretically any of the Decepticons could have done, if they were inclined to remember that they're alien robots. I also like that he did it "in person", and theatrically, when he could theoretically have done the same thing from anywhere in the ship at any time, since he's just controlling the Decepticon ground bridge by remote and using it site-to-site. (Presumably, had the plain failed, he then could have taken more direct action, but waiting for the last second was just pure fialr.) I can see why he doesn't bother talking to any of the other Decepticons.

As a Prime hater - I have a pin and everything - I have to say that I did find Megatron's very transparent ruse a bit annoying, if only because it would have been neat to see a bit of his pre-war self, but I really enjoyed this episode. That said, Soundwave's just too damned cool for this show (and all others that have ever existed.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 21 February 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#49 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14356 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Soundwave probably waited until the last second so that Arcee wouldn't be able to stop herself. It was brilliantly played.

As for Megatron... I have to admit, I sort of hoped that when Prime called him "Megatronus" at the end of the last episode, that maybe it sparked something deep within him, like his old friendship with Orion...

I do like how he's playing it, for the most part, but maybe if there was more... I don't know... conflict there?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#50 Skeinweaver

Skeinweaver
  • Protoform
  • 5 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:28 AM

Awesome episode. I made subtitles for it, which can be found at Addict7ed (the direct link can be provided, if it isn't against any rules here). I've some questions though as I couldn't quite get everything the characters say (e.g., what exactly did Bulkhead talk about towards the end of the episode, when the bots and humans argue heatedly on their "head honcho" whereabouts ? something like "searching a servo in a scrapyard", right?) If any native speaker or someone with better ear for English helps me, it'd be appreciated greatly! I woudn't want to make Russian subs for 27th ep basing on a wrong transcript.

#51 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17862 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

He says "Like trying to find a servo in a scrapyard" - which is a Transformer-y adaptation of the phrase "Trying to find a needle in a haystack" - meaning that the Space Bridge would be a big pain to find, since they have all of Earth to search for it.

#52 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8415 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Wingus @ Feb 20 2012, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
* Soundwave dispatches intruders with ease! This guy is quickly becoming the 'con to look out for. And also. . . he can open a space bridge ANYWHERE AT WILL!!

Didn't see that so much as him having the ability to open them at will as much as remote-controlling their groundbridge. Either way, it's still pretty slick.

Yerah, we've seen the Decepticon groundbridge work without Soundwave, and he was pretty clearly remote-linking himself to something as Arcee charged him.

Though, to be fair, I don't think we've ever seen that kind of point-to-point work with a groundbridge before (they all seem to work point-to-platform), so that raises him to Scotty-level improv-engineering.

#53 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17862 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Feb 21 2012, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:

Yerah, we've seen the Decepticon groundbridge work without Soundwave, and he was pretty clearly remote-linking himself to something as Arcee charged him.

Though, to be fair, I don't think we've ever seen that kind of point-to-point work with a groundbridge before (they all seem to work point-to-platform), so that raises him to Scotty-level improv-engineering.

Either that, or the 'Cons can open starting bridges where-ever the heck they want due to a better setup/better engineering and aren't limited to a stargate-y platform for their starter bridge.

#54 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 17094 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(Wingus @ Feb 21 2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Feb 21 2012, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:

Either that, or the 'Cons can open starting bridges where-ever the heck they want due to a better setup/better engineering and aren't limited to a stargate-y platform for their starter bridge.

Probably just a better set-up.

Remember, the cons are operating out of a semi-functional Cybertronian vessel, while the Autobots are having to make due with second-hand Earth tech in order to fix their junk.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#55 CoffeeJedi

CoffeeJedi

Screamer is not impressed with Mudflap's new Headmaster Mode

• Citizen
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

There was a great shot of HIGHLIGHT to view:
Breakdown emerging from an explosion in the first battle scene, great mood lighting and made him look huge and imposing, nicely done.

I really hope we see some more dynamic battles this season, Bulkhead, Bumblebee and Arcee standing in formation and shooting down waves of Vehicons isn't really fight choreography. They do okay with the one-on-one battles, but I'd like to see them use the environment in the larger battles more; ducking for cover, toppling large structures, flanking, etc.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Arcee's infiltration of the Nemesis was FANTASTIC however, especially HIGHLIGHT to view:
Soundwave's simple solution to the problem.

Do we need spoiler tags in here? I assume that noone will be discussing the episodes if they haven't seen them yet, but I didn't want to violate protocol.
I just flew back from BotCon, and boy are my arms tires!

#56 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 47830 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

No need for spoiler tags at this point. icon-ironhide.gif

#57 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17494 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

So I've noticed something on the rewatch.

Wasn't it just so convenient that Optimus happened to find mention of Starscream in the historical records? Oh, what lazy writing there, making it so obvious.

Except...

I direct your attention to the previous season - specifically "Masters and Students" and "Sick Mind." And in specific, these lines:

"We must have video documentation of Optimus Prime's destruction. For the historical record." (Masters and Students)

"Knockout, if you would provide your expert opinion to Soundwave, for the historical record."

I think there was another episode too.

Starscream likely put those references there himself! He's so obsessed with the historical record, he makes sure to mention himself whenever possible. I always thought those 'Historical Record' statements were weird - could the writers have been setting up for this all this time?

#58 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 8003 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Two incredibly brief lines that could easily be forgotten? Seems unlikely.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#59 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17494 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

It's unlikely, but I just thought that it was an incredibly odd thing (even back when I was first watching those episodes a year ago) and so very specific - only Starscream has ever mentioned the historical record - at least two, maybe 3 times. And then Optimus finds him... in the Historical Record.

It's a very oddly specific coincidence.

#60 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 47830 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think Starscream heading all operations on Earth for years is bound to get him in a lot of historical records on the Nemesis.

Randy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users