Is the Masterpiece line dead in the US?

22 replies to this topic

#1 M-A-K

M-A-K
  • Citizen
  • 384 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

One thing I was hoping for was a US release of the newest MP Optimus or Thundercracker. Maybe some news at Botcon?

#2 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 4988 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Optimus is a possibility; there's usually a LONG time between the original release of a Masterpiece figure and a US release announcement.
SUPERHERO TIME!!!! Ruining Jokes For Everyone!

TWITTER: Paladin4221

#3 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Victory is red in tooth and claw

• Citizen
  • 15593 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Masterpieces aren't really such rapid-fire releases that going a few months without hearing about a new one is cause for rioting in the streets.

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 46191 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

We found out about Rodimus Prime while most of us were at BotCon 2011, so I doubt we'll be hearing anything for a while.

Randy

#5 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 5044 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Given the negative complaints I've heard concerning Rodimus and the expense related to the size class, I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't see many more Masterpiece releases stateside.

Then again, what do I know?

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.

#6 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23545 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't think it's dead so much, as it was never really alive. It's just a thing where we might get something out of it every couple of years, if they can find a retailer willing to carry the very specific, high-end product as an exclusive.
"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#7 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I never had much use for Masterpiece. Costs a lot and way oversized for my collection. I'd rather buy 10-20 legends for the same money.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2826 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Feb 12 2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's dead so much, as it was never really alive. It's just a thing where we might get something out of it every couple of years, if they can find a retailer willing to carry the very specific, high-end product as an exclusive.

This. More or less.

I never really got the feeling it was meant to be a thing in the US, just that they were bringing them over as they saw it profitable to do so.

That said... I would really love to see a US release of the new Masterpiece Prime. Even if they did away with the trailer to cut costs, that guy looks pretty amazing icon-hotrod.gif
--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#9 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 1878 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

If dead equals about 1 per year (2011 Rodimus, 2010 Grimlock, Skywarp 2008, Starscream 2007, Optimus 2006, Optimus 2004). I guess 2009 didn't see a release if that counts as dead? icon-hotrod.gif
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#10 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage
  • Citizen
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I would be really surprised if they don't bring a trailer-less version of the new MP Prime over here at some point. Might take a couple of years, but it's Prime, so it's more of a seller than Skywarp or Rodimus even.

#11 Magick

Magick

Autobot Rainbow Brigade

• Citizen
  • 2521 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I've been hoping for Wal-Mart to do Thundercracker since they had the others. And I think Hasbro's choice of plastic color would be much better than the Tak version. For me anyway, that's been the case for the last two jets. I was surprised Wal-Mart didn't do that this past year. Hopefully this year. If not then TRU seems willing to take them. They've done the last two with lots of success.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

#12 General Tekno

General Tekno

Nova Mew

• Citizen
  • 1684 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yeah; people talking about dead are jumping the gun.

I'm guessing MP-10 is gonna be the Masterpiece release this year. Rodimus Prime/Grimlock sold well enough from what I saw.
BT Toons - updates Tuesdays and Fridays.
Tekno Reviews: Watch Tekno and the Lugnut-tans review and rate toys!

#13 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6712 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Masterpieces have sold very well at TRU, better than any other TF exclusive over the last few years.
What is singature?

#14 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 26484 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'd fully expect a trailer-less new MP Optimus at TRU within a year or so.

Masterpiece stuff isn't really a "line" in the US anyway. It's a collector novelty item, so it just requires time.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#15 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Citizen
  • 15593 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Feb 12 2012, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said... I would really love to see a US release of the new Masterpiece Prime. Even if they did away with the trailer to cut costs, that guy looks pretty amazing icon-hotrod.gif

I would HOPE they'd do away with the trailer, but then, I'm not fond of big boxes that don't really do much but take up space. Even awesome trailers like RID Scourge's don't do much for me.

#16 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2567 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

If it?s not dead in the US, it should be. The Masterpiece line should be a no-expense-barred line of figures where expense and ?safety? are not considerations so designers can build with as much detail and complexity as possible to make a truly ?masterpiece? representation of a character. Hasbro instead tends to cheapen them with inferior paint, fewer accessories, and clipped or rounded points to the effect they?re no longer ultimate masterpieces. Go all out or not at all, I say. But the US releases are at least good for those who want a masterpiece-ish figure but can?t afford the Takara version.

#17 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3024 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

we have the TF 30 annniversarya around 2014, maybe we will have more masterpiece related news next year. who knows?
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#18 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 3440 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Feb 12 2012, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Jeremy @ Feb 12 2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. More or less.

I never really got the feeling it was meant to be a thing in the US, just that they were bringing them over as they saw it profitable to do so.

Just agreeing on similar lines. Hasbro has seen that they can make a profit off toy designs that would come out of Japan, regardless of their involvement. So, they're making a profit.

Of course, that doesn't mean we'll get every Masterpiece mold over here. I doubt we'll ever see Megatron's face. And I really don't think Takara will ever touch a tank version.

I know of no G2 cartoon in Japan (or comic book, but I admit I'm on even shakier ground here), and suspect that it's not all that endearing (but I could be wrong). As for creating a whole new mold, just to satisfy US toy laws, well I don't see that happening.

We might eventually see something along the lines of Alternity, but not in the same size class as Masterpiece. Plus, it isn't clear that Hasbro would bring it over, since Alternity, Music Label & other toy lines seem to be resistent to import.
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#19 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6712 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Feb 14 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it’s not dead in the US, it should be. The Masterpiece line should be a no-expense-barred line of figures where expense and “safety” are not considerations so designers can build with as much detail and complexity as possible to make a truly “masterpiece” representation of a character. Hasbro instead tends to cheapen them with inferior paint, fewer accessories, and clipped or rounded points to the effect they’re no longer ultimate masterpieces. Go all out or not at all, I say. But the US releases are at least good for those who want a masterpiece-ish figure but can’t afford the Takara version.

Hasbro wants the figure designed and intended for 25-year-olds to be able to sell to little Billy the 5-year-old bed-wetter prone to wearing his socks on his penis.

They produce toys within a paradox that even Michio Kaku himself has yet to fully understand.

Edited by GALVATRON I, 15 February 2012 - 02:14 AM.

What is singature?

#20 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Citizen
  • 15593 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(GALVATRON I @ Feb 15 2012, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Benbot @ Feb 14 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it?s not dead in the US, it should be. The Masterpiece line should be a no-expense-barred line of figures where expense and ?safety? are not considerations so designers can build with as much detail and complexity as possible to make a truly ?masterpiece? representation of a character. Hasbro instead tends to cheapen them with inferior paint, fewer accessories, and clipped or rounded points to the effect they?re no longer ultimate masterpieces. Go all out or not at all, I say. But the US releases are at least good for those who want a masterpiece-ish figure but can?t afford the Takara version.

Hasbro wants the figure designed and intended for 25-year-olds to be able to sell to little Billy the 5-year-old bed-wetter prone to wearing his socks on his penis.

They produce toys within a paradox that even Michio Kaku himself has yet to fully understand.

It's still sold as a toy, therefore it has to pass toy safety regulations. Not complicated.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users