13 replies to this topic

#1 Devcon

Devcon

International man of mystery and intrigue

• Forum Moderator
  • 10109 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

This game has been around for a few months now and I remember it was a bit controversial when it was first announced.

Basically, take your regular Risk game (world map, army tokens, dice, territory cards) BUT get ready to either write on your board - PERMANENTLY, put stickers on it, and maybe (having read the rules, no, not maybe - SURELY) also destroy parts of it such as cards. The idea is that constant warfare will permanently change the world - actions in game one by one player will have repercussions in the following games (such as renaming a continent, destroying a territory, founding cities which give bonuses). In a few games, your board of Risk Legacy will be remarkably different from someone else's because the actions will not be the same.

When it was announced, lots of people thought the idea was ludicrous, as the game calls upon you to write on your board and destroy parts of it. But when it was released, most of the critics I've seen were ranging from positive to raving praise. I even discussed it with a friend of mine at last year's New Year's party, and his reaction was "WTF??!? Why would anyone play that?". First thing I know, 2 weeks later, he bought the game and can't stop talking about how awesome it is. Him and his local friends are about at their 8th game, last he told me, and some parts have been destroyed, lots of renaming has been done, and new cards were added to the game (some in-game events make you open envelopes or packs which add to the game).

Well, today I caved and grabbed a copy. I read through the rules. The 1st game will look a lot like a regular Risk game, but the victory point mechanic is definitely something I'll have to grasp. Also, I like that the 5 factions will have not only a different look to it, but different rules - and my rules will be different from yours (1st game, you actually apply stickers to your faction card, and destroy the unused choices) but I think I'll have a hard time choosing from either Die Mechaniker, the Imperial Balkania (as I like the 2 looks) or Khan Industries (Big Battlemechs, LOVE - but if I let others play it, I'll have justification to yell "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!")

So... Anyone try it? Any war stories you'd like to share?

Oh... and the game is a damn temptress... One of the packs, hidden from the others...

Edited by Devcon, 06 February 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#2 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32070 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

OPEN IT. OPEN IT. OPEN IT.

#3 Devcon

Devcon

• Forum Moderator
  • 10109 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I want to play a few games before I even want to contemplate doing that icon-fire.gif

But damn, than envelope stuck on the bottom of the box is like sticking a big red "DO NOT TOUCH" button in a Loony Toon Cartoon. You KNOW you're going to push it eventually.

I just noticed also that the gameboard is numbered - mine is Earth #524.

#4 skankerzero

skankerzero

Living in Brazil now!!!

• Citizen
  • 6097 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

google is your friend:

contents of the card:

http://boardgamegeek...pen-ever-survey
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#5 Devcon

Devcon

• Forum Moderator
  • 10109 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'm not clicking. I want to *play* those games before finding what is in there. THis thread wasn't a "anyone knows what's in the packs?" but "has anyone else tried this game, and what do you think?"

#6 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

HUUUUUUUGE Controversy on the 'Geek. Lotta people aren't too keen on permanently destroying bits of a game you're paying $60 bucks for. I'm one of them. I appreciate the novelty and idea of permanent changes to the game board, with the cavat that once you've played the requiste twelve games, your now stuck with the results for all time. Don't like that bit much.

EDIT: Devcon, you might want to check out the session reports on the 'Geek. There are several that are spoiler free, and give you a good idea of what to expect.

Edited by John Nemo, 06 February 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#7 Hecate

Hecate

Literally the worst poster ever

• Citizen
  • 26663 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well, at least it's not Jumanji!

99% of people fail to understand statistics. If you're one of the 23% who do, copy and paste this into your sig!

#8 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

I couldn't bring my self to destroy the game itself. The concept is really awesome but the whole Destroy pieces and stuff is something I just couldn't do.

3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#9 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31752 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

It isn't a relic. I always like how a new pair of shoes looks, but I buy them and little by little they are destroyed every day. If you buy a book of crossword puzzles, it is basically understood that each page is only good once and every time you play there is a permanent effect on the book. Just get yourself a regular Risk and also a Risk Legacy and don't mess up your regular Risk.

#10 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17471 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

My friend got the game, but made scans of all the stickers and card sheets, and laminated the entire board so we can start over fresh if we so choose.

It's pretty awesome. We've only got two games in so far, but we're looking forward to more.

#11 Devcon

Devcon

• Forum Moderator
  • 10109 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

HAH that's actually not a bad idea there, Fwiff icon-fire.gif I may well do the same icon-hotrod.gif

#12 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Feb 6 2012, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend got the game, but made scans of all the stickers and card sheets, and laminated the entire board so we can start over fresh if we so choose.

It's pretty awesome. We've only got two games in so far, but we're looking forward to more.

Yes that is the way I would go. Still we still need to play my Bro's LOTR Risk. Man I had a Star Wars Risk at one point too but lost it when I moved back home from Fort Campbell.

#13 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17471 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(Daith @ Feb 6 2012, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes that is the way I would go. Still we still need to play my Bro's LOTR Risk. Man I had a Star Wars Risk at one point too but lost it when I moved back home from Fort Campbell.

We're big risk fanatics. I had a copy of Risk: 2210 that got some very serious play since I first got it, damn, more than a decade and a half ago. Between us, we have just about every variation of Risk there is. The Trilogy Edition of Lord of the Rings has been a big favorite for a long time. We actually have both PT and OT SW risks, but both make too many sacrifices for theme to be that awesome.

#14 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Feb 6 2012, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Daith @ Feb 6 2012, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're big risk fanatics. I had a copy of Risk: 2210 that got some very serious play since I first got it, damn, more than a decade and a half ago. Between us, we have just about every variation of Risk there is. The Trilogy Edition of Lord of the Rings has been a big favorite for a long time. We actually have both PT and OT SW risks, but both make too many sacrifices for theme to be that awesome.

We only have the LotR version that came out around The Two Towers. Reading the instructions does make it sound like a fun game.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users