36 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30137 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Apparently, some were offended enough by derpy's portrayal in episode 14 that they felt the need to make a petition. Apparently, there is enough in the fandom who feel those are being ridiculous and started a counter petition to keep derpy as she was animated.

Now, you can find both easily enough, but I'm for not changing things by committee and found absolutely nothing wrong with derpy. So, if you if the same, please sign:

This online petition to keep derpy the same.

For validity, I should probably post a link to the other one, but I know most here enjoyed those first destructive steps she took from background character to tier two character.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 05 February 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#2 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I think this is the third petition I've signed to keep Derpy's name, unless I've signed the same one more than once...

I don't think Hasbro or anyone should go back and change the episode to remove/rename Derpy. Doing so is just going to annoy more people, the ones who thought the little shoutout was awesome (like me) who I'm sure far outnumber those who were offended.

However, I do think that in hindsight they should have kept her nameless so as to avoid all this drama. That way there would be no cause for anyone to be offended by her name, no problems with copyright (if there are any) and those who want her to be called Derpy/Ditzy could still do so since the show isn't saying otherwise.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30137 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

I got no problem at all with them naming her. Everyone needs a name, and the sentence just feels weird without it. It's insulting to avoid using a persons name in context.

#4 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Oh don't get me wrong I've got no problem with them naming her either. But if Derpy's name wasn't mentioned in the episode to begin with then no one would miss it if it wasn't there since it never was there to begin with. If that makes sense?

I'm not quite sure what I'm getting at myself. I seem to be arguing against something when I'm actually all for it. Long live Derpy!

#5 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(LoomX @ Feb 4 2012, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh don't get me wrong I've got no problem with them naming her either. But if Derpy's name wasn't mentioned in the episode to begin with then no one would miss it if it wasn't there since it never was there to begin with. If that makes sense?

I'm not quite sure what I'm getting at myself. I seem to be arguing against something when I'm actually all for it. Long live Derpy!

Yes, but changing it once it is there would be stating that they felt there was something explicitly wrong/offensive with using Derpy, which obviously isn't the case.

I've signed the petition anyway. I don't have a whole lot of faith in internet petitions, but this whole thing has annoyed me somewhat.

#6 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2368 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Before i sign, I'd like to know:

If she stays Derpy, would she have a last name? Or is she single named like Rarity, Trixie, Zecora and Madonna?

Would changing her name to Ditzy Doo increase her chances of having an official toy made for her? I'd go with whichever would give her official merchandise.

Like is this the case of 2002 He-Man Fisto's toy being named Battle Fist or Rattlor being named the General but they were called by their proper names in the show? She can be Derpy on the show but the toy would be Ditzy Doo?

Feel the FEAR!

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30137 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Given the furor behind it, mostly in favour of it since it seems the nay sayers are few in volume, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a toy of her anyway. Go where the market demands after all.

But really, does she need a last name? Or a toy? Hell, up until S2E14 we were happy having her in the background and just pointing her out.

#8 J4n1

J4n1
  • Citizen
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Signed, the whole "controversy" about Derpys name is inane.
She is fine as she is, if anything, they should canonice more of the fanon about her (especially her fanon daughter).

#9 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 7574 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(J4n1 @ Feb 4 2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Signed, the whole "controversy" about Derpys name is inane.
She is fine as she is, if anything, they should canonice more of the fanon about her (especially her fanon daughter).

I couldn't agree more, J4n1.

Heck, if you guys want to rally around something...

#10 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4253 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wonko, You should change the title, or subtitle to have the SaveDerpy tag.

Also letters (professional adult letters) can be sent: http://www.hasbro.co...rvice/contacts/

It's worth mentioning how true the controversy is is questionable..lots of mixed messages on the whole thing...see EQ or knowyourmeme (Save Derpy) for details.

#11 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Purple Chrome makes the best better

• Citizen
  • 21508 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

BRING BACK STAR TREK TOS... oh wait we aren't doing that..

silly is silly and even I can't be that silly.

they named her, its done. The only way to change it now would be if we found out That's just what Rainbow Dash calls her... I'd be fore that option if it lead to an episode explaining it. But otherwise leave it alone... because it isn't a big deal.
Tammy,',tec,OP,Shenanigans,Jen,Destron and some other guy. Thursdays.
"next week not 12hours long"

#12 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4253 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

#13 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Bristleback hated you all before it was trendy.

• Citizen
  • 9438 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

That picture is awesome. icon-hotrod.gif

Can I sign a petition against people starting petitions, btw? icon-fire.gif I mean, seriously, all this ruckus over a character who had like, 3 lines. Yet apparently no-one thought Gargoyles was a satanist show and a thing of the devil because the characters looked like, well let's admit it, demons. And that was the NINETIES!

People take offense too easily these days. I mean, I am totally not offended by John Cleese honestly believing "Yandelawasa grvedlny stravenka" being some very offensive hungarian swear-word. (In truth, it doesn't mean a thing in my language...) icon-fire.gif

#14 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8015 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 4 2012, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet apparently no-one thought Gargoyles was a satanist show and a thing of the devil because the characters looked like, well let's admit it, demons.

I'm pretty sure someone did.

#15 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Feb 4 2012, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 4 2012, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet apparently no-one thought Gargoyles was a satanist show and a thing of the devil because the characters looked like, well let's admit it, demons.

I'm pretty sure someone did.

My mom, for one.
But then, she thought the same of Yu-gi-oh.
FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#16 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

People must have; but back then, there were a lot less of those type that were able to figure out how to use the Internet.

#17 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1668 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Feb 4 2012, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would changing her name to Ditzy Doo increase her chances of having an official toy made for her? I'd go with whichever would give her official merchandise.

I agree with this statement. Both names have always seemed fine to me. On one hand, having a pony officially named after what fans decided to call her is awesome; on the other hand, of all the non-fan names background ponies have gotten, "Ditzy-Doo" is probably the least stupid, probably because it was created by a writer, not some monkey-suited toy executive. And either way, being able to one day go into a store, plunk down ten bucks, and walk out with our very own little plastic [insert name here] would probably be even better.

But most likely if Hasbro's decision can be swayed in any way, it will probably be by whoever shouts the loudest.
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#18 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30137 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

As divisive as it would be... let's see if we can't make the non-haters shout louder for once.

#19 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right Of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 1310 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Strange. When I first looked at that petition a few days ago, the original amount of sigs needed was 15,000. I looked at again a couple days later and it went up to 25,000 sigs required. I just looked at it again and the required number is now 35,000. Looks like the number needed keeps getting jacked up another 10,000 every time the sigs get near to meeting the requirement. WTH! Do petitions normally do that?

#20 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

I will not sign this petition, because it is meaningless. That's okay though, since the original petition is equally meaningless. Nothing will come of any of this idiocy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users