609 replies to this topic

#461 M Sipher

M Sipher

Tinja Nurtles.

• Citizen
  • 10455 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Blot @ Feb 8 2012, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then someone will get it early from China, and the reviews will be glowing, and the fans will be back on board again and

The only problem with this ride is I know where all the hills and dips are. It's not exciting anymore.

And it wasn't particularly enjoyable the first few goes 'round.

M "Me? I LIKEE This Guy" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#462 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12687 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE(The Phazer @ Feb 7 2012, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Err, charitably you would hope that Onslaught is badly mistransformed in vehicle mode.

Phazer

Pretty much. You can see the back of a plate that probably forms the back of the vehicle mode, wedged in behind Bruticus's head. The cannons are probably attached to it (as Onslaught/Bruticus's backpack) and I would suppose they flip all the way to the back of the vehicle, mounted on a strut that fills in the remaining gap between the legs/rear wheels. Then the obvious slot between the two barrels plugs onto the top of Bruticus's helmet to secure everything in place.

#463 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

There's a brave new world that's raging inside of me

• Citizen
  • 1244 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hmmm... I was just comparing this shot we have of Bruticus to the final promo artwork that was recently posted.

And one thing I noticed? The toy version of Swindle transforms into a leg completely backwards from how he does in the game.

See? The game has Swindle's front folded up as a foot (note the headlights). I don't think the difference really detracts from the overall look, it's just interesting.

...although I still think the toy's shoulder joints sit up a bit too high on the arms. ( ◕ ~ ◕ )

Edited by Kira Kira, 08 February 2012 - 03:22 AM.

7244b91b-c7b0-4fa1-9807-9bbc554d14b6_zps
FOR SALE: Minicon 10-Packs! WANTED: TRU MASTERPIECE OPTIMUS PRIME, please PM if you have one for sale!

#464 Dante

Dante

Handsome like an F-22 fighter jet

• Citizen
  • 12687 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

Blast-Off's arm mode doesn't match the concept art, either. I suppose it could be somewhat mistransformed, though.

[EDIT] Actually, looking at it, Brawl is clearly mistransformed, you can see all the parts and joints needed to make the leg from the art. Makes me wonder if Swindle is even attached in this pic, or if the photographer just half-assed it because he couldn't figure it out. He's basically not transformed at all from vehicle mode.

Edited by Dante, 08 February 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#465 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

• Citizen
  • 1244 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Well, yeah... but that seemed obvious! No one mentioned the Swindle thing as far as I know.

Also once again Tformers has bigger pictures. That's where I got that big shot of Bruticus (reuploaded to my photobucket since it's pretty big...)
FOR SALE: Minicon 10-Packs! WANTED: TRU MASTERPIECE OPTIMUS PRIME, please PM if you have one for sale!

#466 M Sipher

M Sipher

Tinja Nurtles.

• Citizen
  • 10455 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Personally, I wonder how well it matches up with the final in-game models rather than concept art.

M "Important Distinction" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#467 General Tekno

General Tekno

Nova Mew

• Citizen
  • 1710 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

Quick observation - looking at the Bruticus and Vortex pics, you can see the connector on Vortex.

However, said connector only looks like half of the connection piece plugged into Bruticus.

So what gives here? Does the connector fold in half somewhere?
BT Toons - updates Tuesdays and Fridays.
Tekno Reviews: Watch Tekno and the Lugnut-tans review and rate toys!

#468 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

• Citizen
  • 1244 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ Feb 8 2012, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I wonder how well it matches up with the final in-game models rather than concept art.

M "Important Distinction" Sipher

I'm interested in that too!
And for some reason I though I read that the concept art was a "final" promo art, but looking around I see no mention of that. Bah. (stupid brain...)
But I do imagine the in game model will be pretty similar. Some details will probably differ (like will Vortex's head be red like the toy or black/blue like the art?) but I imagine things like transformation schemes are worked out before the art reaches that stage of concept.

#469 General Tekno

General Tekno

Nova Mew

• Citizen
  • 1710 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(Dante @ Feb 8 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blast-Off's arm mode doesn't match the concept art, either. I suppose it could be somewhat mistransformed, though.

[EDIT] Actually, looking at it, Brawl is clearly mistransformed, you can see all the parts and joints needed to make the leg from the art. Makes me wonder if Swindle is even attached in this pic, or if the photographer just half-assed it because he couldn't figure it out. He's basically not transformed at all from vehicle mode.

Pretty sure Swindle is attached - cant we see his combiner port in the vehicle mode pics?
BT Toons - updates Tuesdays and Fridays.
Tekno Reviews: Watch Tekno and the Lugnut-tans review and rate toys!

#470 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 4018 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

I don't know, it looks bad but it's not killing my excitement for a Cybertronic Combiner team.

And I think Vortex and Blast Off look great on their own.

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Feb 8 2012, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I uh. I uh...

Yeah. Nope.

PCC Bombshock did it better, which is sad. icon-screamer.gif

And looking at my Grimstone, I'm hoping it's a typical miss transformed photo.

#471 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6790 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

I think the individual molds look very nice. The combined mode looks a bit iffy above the waist though, but we'll have to see.

However, I absolutely hate that 4 of the 5 are great and coherent updates while Vortex gets completely random-ass colors. I don't feel Blast Off is that far off - brown to gold I can handle. But I don't care if its from the game, from Hasbro, whoever...the random Vortex garbage kills this set. Hoping TakaraTomy will give us a Vortex as nice as the Dark of the Moon version! Pretty please!!!

Edited by GALVATRON I, 08 February 2012 - 04:43 AM.

What is singature?

#472 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6891 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Swindle also has his combined mode "toes" out, so I doubt you can flip him to match the artwork.

#473 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 8940 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

It does suffer a bit from having a body the same size as the limbs. Then again, it looks better than I thought it would at that scale, so not too shabby.

If anything, I'm weirded out by Vortex's colors. Might repurpose him as someone else if and when they make a G1-colored one [then again they might do that to them all as a full set, although the others are close enough for me].

ho6m.png

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE

Virtually&nbsp;every custom as good as the title suggests!

#474 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Yay...

• Retired Staff
  • 17524 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(C16 @ Feb 8 2012, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Swindle also has his combined mode "toes" out, so I doubt you can flip him to match the artwork.

I'm pretty sure those "toes" are actually Swindle's feet.

#475 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15603 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Even if it doesn't differ much I'm still definately getting this. Combiner love!

#476 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10486 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Feb 7 2012, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 7 2012, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
picking up and using hand-held weapons (as none of the Energon combiners had integrated weapons...), changing ammo,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Show me a five-robot combiner holding a gun, and I'll show you four robots whose time would be better spent elsewhere.

Think of this like that - could 5 soldiers carry and operate a siege cannon on their shoulders? A giant can do that AND smash anything in his way at the same time.

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Feb 8 2012, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ExVee @ Feb 7 2012, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meta...morphin' ...dudicus?

I'd guess Swindle and Brawl are TFed right. Onslaught is close with maybe a few little errors, perhaps at the crotch or sides of the chest maybe. And I suspect Blast Off and Vortex are at least partially messed up, or at the very least quite badly posed. Going by the concept art the thruster parts of BO should fold down to the lower arm, or perhaps the lower arm folds up to them looking at it closer.

-ZacWilliam, on the up-side he looks Awesome! I LOVE HIM. Even miss transformed or badly posed he's a wonder that will have a spot of honor among my CHUGUR Cons. Real fists. Yay! icon-hotrod.gif

I agree - I am sure that Onslaught's arms can be hidden away on the back. (Or if not, at least he'll have tiny vestigial t-rex arms like IDW's Monstructor! icon-hotrod.gif ) Vortex and especially Blast-Off are also mistransformed, badly.

The only thing bothering me about this are Vortex's colors (seriously, everyone else is totally on-model color with the WFC/FoC designs, but he is gold/red instead of grey/blue/purple), his rotors not being on the back (hopefully that can be solved) and the quite small hands on Bruticus.

The individual bot and alt modes on the fliers are pure awesomeness. Blast Off is something that came from a steampunk movie! And Vortex looks wicked. Even his rotors are sword-like. Bruticus is also great, Onslaught really works well despite being a Deluxe. I wonder if those pegs are PCC-compatible.

Note the open-palmed Bruticus hand in Vortex's foot - I hope that means it has moveable fingers to be able to grab the weapon.

I frankly don't care for the combining weapons - I will put Onslaught's gun on his back, and probably give him Fansproject Bruticus's long rifle.

I suspect some of the colors are only this vivid due to photoshopping, we will know more on Toyfair most likely. (Unless it'll be PRIMEPRIMEPRIME only).

Edited by BB Shockwave, 08 February 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#477 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 27756 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 8 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
picking up and using hand-held weapons (as none of the Energon combiners had integrated weapons...), changing ammo,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Show me a five-robot combiner holding a gun, and I'll show you four robots whose time would be better spent elsewhere.

Think of this like that - could 5 soldiers carry and operate a siege cannon on their shoulders? A giant can do that AND smash anything in his way at the same time.

And also be a huge slow target for combined arms fire.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#478 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46287 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'll buy this either way to support combiners but unless this looks massively better once it's released Colossus won't be moving from my display.

Because right now it looks like a PCC but with Deluxes.

#479 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10486 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ Feb 8 2012, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Spectre @ Feb 8 2012, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vortex and Blast-Off look like they're in the completely wrong colors. icon-depth.gif

Not for their Aligned-continuity selves! icon-hotrod.gif

NOPE, at least not true for Vortex. (See attached pics from TFormers below).

I can accept that the brown-ish grey became gold and the pink/purple became red after photoshopping, but the game model has tons of blue (like the original toy) on him, as well as grey rotors.

Unless of course you can show me a pic of Vortex from the game with no blue on him and red rotors...

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Feb 8 2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Feb 8 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And also be a huge slow target for combined arms fire.

Yes, that's his bloody point. Combiners are like siege machines. They can take the fire and provide cover for the foot soldiers while also devastating enemy fortifications. It's natural that they should have long-range capabilities, otherwise they'd be totally helpless against attacks from the air or from afar. Anyone who played strategy games could confirm that. Or well, just check ancient siege towers, they usually had ballistae in/on them and soldiers with bows/crossbows inside.

Attached Thumbnails

• transformers_fall_of_cybertron_concept_vortex_art__scaled_800.jpg
  • transformers_fall_of_cybertron_vortex_concept_vehicle_art__scaled_800.jpg

Edited by BB Shockwave, 08 February 2012 - 06:33 AM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#480 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10486 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(Dante @ Feb 8 2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I and probably a lot more people often wonder just how much would it cost for Hasbro to have a toy designer, or heck, just a guy who has the printed instruction, accompany the photographer who makes the first stock photos. I mean, mistransformations that make it to the box or even promo catalogues have been around since G1.

Most likely, as only us rabid fans follow these promo photos with interest, they just don't care.

Boo-Sig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users