#1 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Full Gallery at Facebook

I honestly wasn't too excited about this figure after seeing the in hand pictures, but my mind completely changed when I had him in hands. He is really really nice looking. The orange is very rich and vibrant, the flame decos on his chest can sides are really well done (the little red dots you see on his flames are not paint chips but the little rivets in his car mode).

The spoiler is actually cat in yellow plastic and not painted over yellow. The dark maroon is a really nice sparkle color. The black shins are not caked on like the Battle in Space / Challenge at Cybertron figures are (they left the part of the hinge unpainted). The white looks a lot better in person (though it makes sticking his gun in his hands a little tough at first). Between the elaborate flame detail, his wrist paint, the shins, and all the little maroon details (they even painted his earphones) - they went all out on this figure.

The remolding seems a bit unnecessary (particularly the under the arm hole as most 5mm pegs won't be long enough to fit in and clear the upper part of his arm. The engine tab is pretty neat though and works well with the Target Master Microns.

Figure is super tight too, unlike some Side Burns. Car mode fits together perfectly (unlike some of the earlier releases). I think this figure replaced the Henkei one as my favorite version of the figure.

If you're not sick of this mold I highly recommend him as the paint job and details are really superb on this one.

Randy

#2 Spectre

Spectre

Crisis of Infinite Spectres

• Retired Staff
  • 7061 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

He'll be the Rodimus Prime to my Challenge at Cybertron Hot Rod.

How are those Targetmasters on that peg? Is there just a bit of grip before you hit the inner powerlinx peg?

Edited by Spectre, 02 February 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#3 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Spectre @ Feb 2 2012, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are those Targetmasters on that peg? Is there just a bit of grip before you hit the inner powerlinx peg?

Yup, that's how they're staying on. The under arm hole is pretty useless though.

Randy

#4 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Retired Staff
  • 8307 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Crap. That's beautiful, I think I need it.

Nice pictures!

#5 AireCoos

AireCoos
  • Citizen
  • 1854 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

So is that sticker on the packages of this latest United wave indicating they're limited edition turning out to be true? I see places like HLJ are out and even set the toys to discontinued status, but BBTS seems to have a healthy supply in stock. With TF Prime ramping up in Japan, it would make sense they'd scale back the numbers on this specialty line to focus on the new mainline series, but I think Takara usually has no problems with pumping out a good volume of figures in all of their toylines.

#6 Kira Kira

Kira Kira

I couldn’t speak, you said, “I’m listening!”

• Citizen
  • 961 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Nice!

Although it's still not magenta... (although if it was I suppose with that deco it'd be Rodimus from the few minutes he was scene at the end of TFTM!) So yeah, I'm passing this one up.

But still cool to see photos of it and all the neat remolds.
SELLING: Minicon 10-Packs! WANTED: TRU MASTERPIECE OPTIMUS PRIME, please PM if you have one for sale!

#7 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 8414 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

Well, the fact that it's a Hot Rod mold meant that I'd buy it, and the spectre of being all "limited edition" drove me to get it a LOT sooner than I otherwise would have. It does look pretty sweet, especially with the crisply bordered chest flames and those ridiculous side flames I love.

At this point I've got so many versions of this mold running around... and while I'm all about the Rodimus, even I'd be fine with them giving this mold a break [preferably to make a new one]. But a magenta one first, please.

ho6m.png

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE

Virtually&nbsp;every custom as good as the title suggests!

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(Strafe @ Feb 2 2012, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crap. That's beautiful, I think I need it.

Nice pictures!

Thanks! He's my favorite one yet!

QUOTE(AireCoos @ Feb 3 2012, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is that sticker on the packages of this latest United wave indicating they're limited edition turning out to be true? I see places like HLJ are out and even set the toys to discontinued status, but BBTS seems to have a healthy supply in stock. With TF Prime ramping up in Japan, it would make sense they'd scale back the numbers on this specialty line to focus on the new mainline series, but I think Takara usually has no problems with pumping out a good volume of figures in all of their toylines.

I'm thinking they were limited in Japan but outside of Asia that might not have been the case (where most of the US retailers suppliers seem to be located). So while places like HLJ, AmiAmi, Hobby Search and the like had a hard time filling orders due to inventory being cut places outside of those areas (the BBTS's and the TFSource's) did not.

QUOTE(Kira Kira @ Feb 3 2012, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice!

Although it's still not magenta... (although if it was I suppose with that deco it'd be Rodimus from the few minutes he was scene at the end of TFTM!) So yeah, I'm passing this one up.

But still cool to see photos of it and all the neat remolds.

I'd still like a magenta one at some point, but this one does a great job of combining Rodimus Prime's robot mode appearance with some toy specific flames. He's really great.

Randy

#9 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 32768 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

I don't know why, but every time I look at that new peg it just looks tacked on. In an average/poor custom type of way. It just doesn't mesh with the rest of him for me.

#10 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't even notice it when looking at him. It's very subtle in person.

Randy

#11 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 8414 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

It's the kind of thing that is only really noticeable if you're looking for it; that sounds weird but I guess I mean it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb really. I was half expecting it to be a Powerlinx hardpoint, and actually forgot they'd added it until I looked right at it.

ho6m.png

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE

Virtually&nbsp;every custom as good as the title suggests!

#12 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

NightViper is just can't stop staring at Rodimus's knob ever since he became a Prime.

Randy

#13 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41393 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Does anyone else think its odd to have a Rodimus Prime repaint of a Hot Rod toy? How would this work in fiction? He doesn't get bigger or gain a new alternate mode when he becomes Rodimus Prime, just a slightly different color scheme?

#14 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

• News and Content
  • 46113 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Kind of like in the cartoon except he doesn't get taller in robot mode. icon-fire.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users