2.15: "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"

151 replies to this topic

#121 Shoggoth

Shoggoth
  • Citizen
  • 323 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

In regards to the reference mentioned above, that is pretty cool. I see it less as an designed fanservice bit, and more the folks on the team having fun with their work AND the fans. That is one of the reasons I like the shows crew. They know how to have fun.

Now, to a different topic. Nayuki, I have seen a couple of instances in the show of visibly 3D animations (The bucket at the start of swarm of the century for example), yet to my knowledge flash is largely a 2D tool. Are those instances just rendered frame by frame, or is it a 3D model imposed over the background?

The other question is sort of unrelated, but as someone in the industry, what would your thoughts be on using video game engines(or similar) as movie making tools? I have noticed a lot of powerful game engines being put out for licensed use as well as seeing some very creative fan machiminia, and I am wondering why no one has thought of the potential to use those programs to make shows.

#122 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8002 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Well, there's Zixx: Level One, which used a (customized) video game engine to render the virtual "Keep" (subsequent seasons [Level Two and Three] used more conventional CG animation --provided by our friends at Mainframe, in fact).

Though, in Zixx's case, the "oddness" of the Keep (compared to the real world, brought to life by live actors) was a plot-point.

#123 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Jan 31 2012, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These are my personal opinions on the matter, I have no experience working with game engines and machinima. People have done some really amazing machinima using game engines, but I personally don't see it as being very viable for things like tv shows from a production stand point. For one, you are immediately limited by whatever restrictions are inherent within the game engine which was designed for games (and not shows) in the first place. I think it's more of a hobby thing. That being said, I've seen some absolutely horrendously done shows on tv, so I guess anything is possible. Could it be done? Possibly. Would be at the quality I think we should expect from shows... probably not. I think machinima will stay as fan-video medium.

You're most likely right (at least now), but I think nothing's ever impossible.

I mean, look at Beast Wars. No one thought that would work, yet it was an amazing show.

#124 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

CR! (A That Guy With The Glasses contributor who you may also recall from his two-part MLP retrospective) gave reviewing this episode a shot.

I give his review squiggle out of kerplonk, which is to say I'm not metareviewing. That way lies madness.

Edited by pao, 31 January 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#125 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Jan 31 2012, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Jan 31 2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to return to my original option from season one that met such heated opposition before, but I do think the fandom has some sway over some decisions in the show.

That was quite a while ago, but from what I remember of what you had been suggesting back then, I will continue to shake my head disapprovingly.

I think your confusing this with a different topic, but anyhow, I made mention that since they used Derpy as a reoccurring background character primarily as a shout out to the older fans that they might purposely add in more well known background ponies for the fans in season two and the reply I got back from like 90% people of this site was like "Nay! The foul corruptible influence of the fandom will never darken this wholly innocent and pure show! Away with you heretic!" and you said there was not, nor will there ever be, a purposely adding of background ponies besides Derpy for the fandom, it will never be more then just a simple color scheme. In fact, for the longest time a lot of the fans here denied that Derpy was even for the fans, just dismissing her as a reoccurring fluke. Now the same fans treat her like a easter egg.

It was like the weirdest debate for the longest time, I was like "C'mon, they just did a shout out for bronies in their commerical, you have to admit the fandom has some influence on the show" and you guys were like "Nay! The advertising department and the show are two completely different entities existing on different planes of existence. Mark my words, fan influence will never effect this show!" then I just gave up trying, knowing someday you will be forced to see the truth and know I was right.

But, man, it is such a relief to see this site finally accept the fact that the fandom does have a little influence on the show. I no longer have to hide in fear of persecution any longer. I knew this day would come when people would see and accept the world as I have already seen it! ^.^ *skitters about joyfully*

Spoiler

#126 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

No one meant in the same way you

Never mind; not even getting into this.

Edited by Matenshi, 01 February 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#127 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

I still don't see the things happening to the show that I've seen people claim were going to happen. Where's the intentional "plot" that everyone goes on about? Some people seem to see it so much (despite claiming to hate it) that I think they must actually want it to be there. icon-waspy.gif

Yeah, they've thrown Derpy in there as a shout-out; and as of last weekend we got Doctor Whooves in a Tennant-style tie; but you guys honestly think a few harmless things like that is going to lead to weird sexualizing or other "mature" stuff? Give me a break. The only negative aspect to Derpy's recent speaking role was the way a handful of halfwits reacted to it.

#128 Shoggoth

Shoggoth
  • Citizen
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep.
But there is still a time to make a decision on fanservice in future series. I really hope this kind of reaction to Derpy will put the end to it, if not... well, as I said before - I'm not really looking to s03. I even started to skip some s02 episodes (used to keep up with them before).

Oh no, I ain't even touching this one. Is it so bad? >_>

Kein, you are weird. You think the show has been ruined because they put in little background gags for us that they could have put in even if we didn't exist? Very weird. Certainly overreacting, skipping episodes and all. (I sort of want to know which ones)

As to the episode review, if you actually bothered to take a look you would find that it is very positive, and that he praises the fact that they had what was very obviously The Music Man inspiration for the song, on top of believable antagonists. That guy is actually rather objective, as shown in his video on the season one pilot episodes.

#129 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Feb 1 2012, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, they've thrown Derpy in there as a shout-out; and as of last weekend we got Doctor Whooves in a Tennant-style tie; but you guys honestly think a few harmless things like that is going to lead to weird sexualizing or other "mature" stuff? Give me a break. The only negative aspect to Derpy's recent speaking role was the way a handful of halfwits reacted to it.

I never made mention of any sexual or mature content in my statement, only the acknowledgement of the fandom by the creators. If that is the impression you get from my comment, then that is just a testament to the level of depravity of your own mind or an unwillingness to try to understand what is being said.
Spoiler

#130 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13593 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Feb 1 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Feb 1 2012, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never made mention of any sexual or mature content in my statement, only the acknowledgement of the fandom by the creators. If that is the impression you get from my comment, then that is just a testament to the level of depravity of your own mind or an unwillingness to try to understand what is being said.

I think he was referring to the tirades you used to go on some months back, where you were POSITIVE the animators were throwing in intentional "plot shots" to the fans. People haven't forgotten those posts as quickly as you've seemed to.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#131 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4217 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

The problem is Sobana's using the word "influence", which has the wrong connotation.

Fandom has "influenced" the show's direction in the other week's episode in that a scene was directly written as a hat tip to fans with Derpy.

Doctor Whooves there isn't an "influence", but it is a shout out. They needed a time keeper for the scene. And it was decided "as long as someone is going to be keeping time let's use Whooves." either as a shout out, or because the particular artist likes Whooves.

Being aware of fandom and acknowledging it isn't the same as being influenced by it.

TLDR: Doctor Whooves keeping time isn't "fan influence"...the mane 6 going on adventures inside Doctor Whooves' blue farm house is.

#132 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4217 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(pao @ Jan 31 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CR! (A That Guy With The Glasses contributor who you may also recall from his two-part MLP retrospective) gave reviewing this episode a shot.

I give his review squiggle out of kerplonk, which is to say I'm not metareviewing. That way lies madness.

A good review...much better than the bulk of the NC's Disney reviews, many of them broke down to "I don't think Disney should do this kind of story".

#133 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4217 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
f I put a silly green unicorn in the background (something I've been doing since before it became a hit with the fans) I see it more as an easter egg, something I do for fun, regardless of if bronies were around or not, and it's something I will continue to do.

Heh...I was gonna use Lyra gags as an additional example, but decided I didn't want to drag you back in icon-fire.gif

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS - Since I know someone is inevitably going to screenshot this and post it on ponibooru... /waves to ponibooru. You crazy, crazy people... how in the world did I get a whole tag dedicated to me? /sigh. I'm not that important, really.

In your mind, you're "just a layout artist"...but you're OUR layout artist!

#134 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Feb 1 2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In your mind, you're "just a layout artist"...but you're OUR layout artist!

We will name him George, and we will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...

#135 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 7558 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I actually kinda thought it was Lyra, myself. icon-waspy.gif

#136 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoggoth
That is not what I said and you perfectly aware of that. As Nayuki mentioned - "Brony Goggles Effect", people see what they wan to see. Wind back to first pages, I explained what I meant.

A lot of your posts do read as variations on "OMG RUINED FOREVER", whether you think so or not. If you acknowledge the "Brony Goggles Effect", then there's no reason for you to so often be a victim of them. If your contempt for parts the fandom is causing you to go so far as to skip episodes, then you're the only one missing out.

#137 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4217 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Anyone else notice the "hot apple cider" banner that's popping up for this thread?

#138 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I've refreshed a few times, and all my ads in here seem computer-related. But one that's kind of relevant; a VPN service to access US-only streaming sites, lol.

#139 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(pao @ Feb 1 2012, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no, I ain't even touching this one. Is it so bad? >_>

"Not metareviewing" == "not reviewing the review." I intentionally used funny words instead. Seems like a guy can't even make a silly joke around here anymore without getting misinterpreted. icon-primal.gif

...moving right along.

#140 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Feb 1 2012, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he was referring to the tirades you used to go on some months back, where you were POSITIVE the animators were throwing in intentional "plot shots" to the fans. People haven't forgotten those posts as quickly as you've seemed to.

Yes, but that and this are different subject matters all together. I can have more then one option on a different aspect of the subject, can't I? If I went to the debate section and talked about religion would you naturally assume I could incorporate religion in every comment I made? Of course not. If I made reference to their plots before, why would you think that is all I could discuss?

But, since you insist on referring to it , we did it, number one meaning in the urban dictionary, we should be proud.

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you see any differences between a shoutout and an easter egg? For me, I consider Derpy as something for the fans, whereas if I put a silly green unicorn in the background (something I've been doing since before it became a hit with the fans) I see it more as an easter egg, something I do for fun, regardless of if bronies were around or not, and it's something I will continue to do. You'll find these sorts of things in a lot of cartoons, it's just something artists do for fun when it's appropriate.

Yes, I feel that if you add something to it with the intent of pleasing the fans your discussions are being 'influenced'. Some cartoons finish an entire season before airing it without concern for the viewers interest or after learning of the fan appeal refuse to alter the script in any way. I consider shoutouts and even eastereggs of acknowledgement to be influences by the fans, because without the fans input those things would never be added. Even if they are not targeting any specific group.

Nay! The advertising department and the show are two completely different entities.

Lulz

I think I need to coin a new term: 'The Brony Goggle Effect'. You can probably see where I'm going with this... it's pretty much where a brony chooses to interpret things seen in the show as directly targeted at them even when there is really no easter egg or shoutout in the first place. As an example, if 2 random background ponies happen to be in a scene together, people with 'brony goggles' may interpret it as the pair sharing a romantic relationship and being a shoutout instead of the far more likely truth that they are simply part of a crowd meant to make Ponyville feel like a lively town instead of a barren wasteland with no other ponies but the main cast. "OMG, if we freeze-frame this scene just right, it looks they're making lovey-dovey eyes! What? They're just blinking? Nah, that would actually make sense, and we can't have that."

The way we make the show hasn't changed from season 1 to 2, and won't change going from season 2 to 3. Our goal is still to make an awesome cartoon for girls that their parents can enjoy watching with them, and if parents can enjoy the show, there's no reason other adults can't too. Really it just comes down to us wanting to make the show good, and good is something anyone can like.

Yes, that does make sense, I am of all people especially guilty of that. But, I think that what makes if partly fun.

I really, really was considering not replying to this since it's going to draw more attention to myself than I like. The last thing I want is to be the subject of front page EQD news. I honestly like to think that my posts are merely me posting what I believe to be common sense.

PS - Since I know someone is inevitably going to screenshot this and post it on ponibooru... /waves to ponibooru. You crazy, crazy people... how in the world did I get a whole tag dedicated to me? /sigh. I'm not that important, really.

Well, not just to ponibooru, I visit a lot of pony sites you don't know about. But, I think you might secretly be enjoying all this attention.
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users