Photo
- - - - -

2.15: "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"

140 replies to this topic

#121 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(pao @ Jan 31 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CR! (A That Guy With The Glasses contributor who you may also recall from his two-part MLP retrospective) gave reviewing this episode a shot.

I give his review squiggle out of kerplonk, which is to say I'm not metareviewing. That way lies madness.

A good review...much better than the bulk of the NC's Disney reviews, many of them broke down to "I don't think Disney should do this kind of story".

#122 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
f I put a silly green unicorn in the background (something I've been doing since before it became a hit with the fans) I see it more as an easter egg, something I do for fun, regardless of if bronies were around or not, and it's something I will continue to do.

Heh...I was gonna use Lyra gags as an additional example, but decided I didn't want to drag you back in icon-fire.gif

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS - Since I know someone is inevitably going to screenshot this and post it on ponibooru... /waves to ponibooru. You crazy, crazy people... how in the world did I get a whole tag dedicated to me? /sigh. I'm not that important, really.

In your mind, you're "just a layout artist"...but you're OUR layout artist!

#123 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Feb 1 2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In your mind, you're "just a layout artist"...but you're OUR layout artist!

We will name him George, and we will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...

#124 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8305 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I actually kinda thought it was Lyra, myself. icon-waspy.gif

#125 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9348 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoggoth
That is not what I said and you perfectly aware of that. As Nayuki mentioned - "Brony Goggles Effect", people see what they wan to see. Wind back to first pages, I explained what I meant.

A lot of your posts do read as variations on "OMG RUINED FOREVER", whether you think so or not. If you acknowledge the "Brony Goggles Effect", then there's no reason for you to so often be a victim of them. If your contempt for parts the fandom is causing you to go so far as to skip episodes, then you're the only one missing out.

#126 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Anyone else notice the "hot apple cider" banner that's popping up for this thread?

#127 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9348 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I've refreshed a few times, and all my ads in here seem computer-related. But one that's kind of relevant; a VPN service to access US-only streaming sites, lol.

#128 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(pao @ Feb 1 2012, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CR! (A That Guy With The Glasses contributor who you may also recall from his two-part MLP retrospective) gave reviewing this episode a shot.

I give his review squiggle out of kerplonk, which is to say I'm not metareviewing. That way lies madness.

Oh no, I ain't even touching this one. Is it so bad? >_>

"Not metareviewing" == "not reviewing the review." I intentionally used funny words instead. Seems like a guy can't even make a silly joke around here anymore without getting misinterpreted. icon-primal.gif

...moving right along.

#129 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Feb 1 2012, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he was referring to the tirades you used to go on some months back, where you were POSITIVE the animators were throwing in intentional "plot shots" to the fans. People haven't forgotten those posts as quickly as you've seemed to.

Yes, but that and this are different subject matters all together. I can have more then one option on a different aspect of the subject, can't I? If I went to the debate section and talked about religion would you naturally assume I could incorporate religion in every comment I made? Of course not. If I made reference to their plots before, why would you think that is all I could discuss?

But, since you insist on referring to it , we did it, number one meaning in the urban dictionary, we should be proud.

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Feb 1 2012, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you see any differences between a shoutout and an easter egg? For me, I consider Derpy as something for the fans, whereas if I put a silly green unicorn in the background (something I've been doing since before it became a hit with the fans) I see it more as an easter egg, something I do for fun, regardless of if bronies were around or not, and it's something I will continue to do. You'll find these sorts of things in a lot of cartoons, it's just something artists do for fun when it's appropriate.

Yes, I feel that if you add something to it with the intent of pleasing the fans your discussions are being 'influenced'. Some cartoons finish an entire season before airing it without concern for the viewers interest or after learning of the fan appeal refuse to alter the script in any way. I consider shoutouts and even eastereggs of acknowledgement to be influences by the fans, because without the fans input those things would never be added. Even if they are not targeting any specific group.

Nay! The advertising department and the show are two completely different entities.

Lulz

I think I need to coin a new term: 'The Brony Goggle Effect'. You can probably see where I'm going with this... it's pretty much where a brony chooses to interpret things seen in the show as directly targeted at them even when there is really no easter egg or shoutout in the first place. As an example, if 2 random background ponies happen to be in a scene together, people with 'brony goggles' may interpret it as the pair sharing a romantic relationship and being a shoutout instead of the far more likely truth that they are simply part of a crowd meant to make Ponyville feel like a lively town instead of a barren wasteland with no other ponies but the main cast. "OMG, if we freeze-frame this scene just right, it looks they're making lovey-dovey eyes! What? They're just blinking? Nah, that would actually make sense, and we can't have that."

The way we make the show hasn't changed from season 1 to 2, and won't change going from season 2 to 3. Our goal is still to make an awesome cartoon for girls that their parents can enjoy watching with them, and if parents can enjoy the show, there's no reason other adults can't too. Really it just comes down to us wanting to make the show good, and good is something anyone can like.

Yes, that does make sense, I am of all people especially guilty of that. But, I think that what makes if partly fun.

I really, really was considering not replying to this since it's going to draw more attention to myself than I like. The last thing I want is to be the subject of front page EQD news. I honestly like to think that my posts are merely me posting what I believe to be common sense.

PS - Since I know someone is inevitably going to screenshot this and post it on ponibooru... /waves to ponibooru. You crazy, crazy people... how in the world did I get a whole tag dedicated to me? /sigh. I'm not that important, really.

Well, not just to ponibooru, I visit a lot of pony sites you don't know about. But, I think you might secretly be enjoying all this attention.
Spoiler

#130 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

• Citizen
  • 8305 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

Well, the show continues to be fantastic and shows no signs of stopping, so frankly I couldn't care less if there's fan-influence or not. Derpy is the extent of the fandom's "influence", I think, and even then the fandom couldn't get the show staff to do anything they wouldn't want to do in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this fanfluence argument coupled with ridiculous doom and gloom? If so, and if you're still on that idea, then stop being ridiculous.

#131 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2690 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:30 AM

Shouldn't that discussion be in Pony Talk? Or at least Last Round Up cuz that's where Derpy is. Only Doctor Hooves is the fan character if note in the Cider ep.

I really do hope the producers don't take the bad reactions negatively and stop the shout outs. It's been really cool. As for doom sayers, tv tropes listing of the term Ascended Fanon ( which Derpy counts as) doesn't really show fans enhancing the show as destroying the series and all that.

http://tvtropes.org/...Main.SureWhyNot

(It doesn't list the Tiny Toons Summer Vacation and Mandark Dexter kids ep that I brought up in the Round Up thread. Spengler and others gave more details)

#132 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Feb 2 2012, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really do hope the producers don't take the bad reactions negatively and stop the shout outs.

There's like 1 "I hate this" to ever 100 "FANGASM!" reaction, from what I've seen. (There's like 10 different "My reaction to Derpy talking" vids on youtube).

As for the real tweakers who do stuff like send hate mail, let's face it, they send hate mail because they don't like how Twilight parts her mane, too.

#133 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 2 2012, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this fanfluence argument coupled with ridiculous doom and gloom? If so, and if you're still on that idea, then stop being ridiculous.

Not at all, you might be confusing me with Kien because we bantered back and forth a lot during the discussion.

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Feb 2 2012, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't that discussion be in Pony Talk? Or at least Last Round Up cuz that's where Derpy is. Only Doctor Hooves is the fan character if note in the Cider ep.

You are right, I will save my ranting for the appropriate thread next time. I kinda wanted to do that to begin with but if i just came out of the blue like that it would sound like trolling.
Spoiler

#134 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

• Citizen
  • 8305 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Feb 2 2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at all, you might be confusing me with Kien because we bantered back and forth a lot during the discussion.

Well alright, sorry for assuming.

#135 Shutterbug

Shutterbug
  • Supporter
  • 686 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Well, this episode ,while not as good as The Last Roundup for me, was still up there in quality. Rainbow Dash stood out in this episode with several funny scenes. The song was superb and the ending was quite epic if I must say so. The shadows applied near the end were neat. Great job again to everyone involved. Also, I'm beginning gifs tonight.

Edited by Shutterbug, 02 February 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#136 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Finally got a chance to see that review and I lol'd when he said "This is the most successful struggling farm in history"

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 2 2012, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Feb 2 2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well alright, sorry for assuming.

Don't worry about it *huggles*

Edited by Sobana, 03 February 2012 - 12:08 AM.

Spoiler

#137 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Feb 1 2012, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else notice the "hot apple cider" banner that's popping up for this thread?

#138 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10201 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Kein @ Feb 1 2012, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Feb 1 2012, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to return to my original option from season one that met such heated opposition before, but I do think the fandom has some sway over some decisions in the show.

Yep.
But there is still a time to make a decision on fanservice in future series. I really hope this kind of reaction to Derpy will put the end to it, if not... well, as I said before - I'm not really looking to s03. I even started to skip some s02 episodes (used to keep up with them before).

Seriously, just stop. Or change your nickname to Dreadwind, in which case, we also will be expecting you to make mandatory "The Transformers Prime toyline is doomed to be cancelled soon" and "Hasbro will go bankrupt next week" posts in the other topics of this board as well.

Your so-called fears are entirely unbased on anything. Some guy starting a petition against Derpy is nothing in the age of the internet, where everyone can do everything.

Here is an example on what it takes to have a show cancelled - when Dragonball was shown in Hungary for the first time in the nineties, it was a HUGE hit - it was what started the anime craze here. But, there were lots of parental complaints due to the blood and violence on the show. That meant jack **** - the show went on. Then, one day, some crazy kid thought he was Goku, and could fly... and jumped from the top of a building and died. There was a huge backlash... but it only made the show even more well known. Despite lots of letters and even the news dealing with the situation, the show was still not cancelled - it was moved to a very late airing date (around 11 PM). And then Z came and it was again shown at the usual time slot a year or two later.

So yeah... whatever the reaction to Derpy, it will not get the show cancelled.

#139 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just leave it here.

Spoiler

#140 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5130 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

It goes here! http://www.allspark....showtopic=81358

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users