#41 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34218 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(D.M @ Jan 21 2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OOH! Let me guess... there are bunch of Shatner jokes, right? And Christopher Loyd Doc Brown jokes plus the OH-SO-HILARIOUS "I was frozen today"?

Not really.

He riffed on the Targ a lot though.

Also...GEEEEENEEESIS!?!

Edited by Rust, 21 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#42 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1624 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jan 21 2012, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the anniversary films, Kickassia and Suburban Knights, are in my opinion comedy gold.

Really? REALLY?!

#43 Caldwin

Caldwin

Outta my way!!!!

• Citizen
  • 7247 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(D.M @ Jan 21 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OOH! Let me guess... there are bunch of Shatner jokes, right? And Christopher Loyd Doc Brown jokes plus the OH-SO-HILARIOUS "I was frozen today"?
Actually not as much as you'd think. He only did the "I was frozen today" clip once in the entire review. The "Genesis" quote was probably the biggest annoying thing in the whole review.

I'm actually a Transformers fan. That's how I joined the Allspark years ago. I just watched the first two episodes on Netflix today. But let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am not, nor will I EVER be...a brony. It's just not who I am. It just is not going to happen.

#44 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1624 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(TheBruteSlayer @ Jan 21 2012, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I should just rename this thread "the Brad and Spoony love orgy"...

Yes. Yes you should.

QUOTE(Goblez @ Jan 21 2012, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zecora @ Jan 21 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Linkara shines with his History of Power Rangers stuff, since he can't work a story into them with the format he's using. But these are few and far between.

ooh ooh ooh!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DZuzZIirRus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hehehehehe. icon-hotrod.gif

QUOTE(LBD @ Jan 21 2012, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Angry Joe is alright

Mmmmmmmno. He's not. He's very, very, very, very, veeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeerry bad.

Doesn't research well and that thing with Geoff Keighley was a complete embarrassment.

Edited by D.M, 21 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#45 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 22607 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jan 21 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(D.M @ Jan 21 2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really.

He riffed on the Targ a lot though.

Also...GEEEEENEEESIS!?!

He does use "I was Frozen Today" but I think its the best handled version, as it plays as he's falling off the cliff and cuts off when he hits the lava.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#46 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34218 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(D.M @ Jan 21 2012, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(LBD @ Jan 21 2012, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Angry Joe is alright

Mmmmmmmno. He's not. He's very, very, very, very, veeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeerry bad.

Doesn't research well and that thing with Geoff Keighley was a complete embarrassment.

For the most part I agree with you, but he has his moments.

His interaction with Doug in the Star Trek: TMP review was the best I've ever seen him. Granted they were spoofing the classic scene from Star Trek II, but he did it well and it was a geniunely hysterical moment.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#47 HellCat

HellCat

Spreading the good word of Gunpla

• Citizen
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Jan 21 2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best person associated with the site is Dr. Ashen, who has his own site anyway. icon-fire.gif

All hail the Sad Onion!

I haven't really watched any TGWTG.com videos for a while, partly due to taste and partly due to tech (my system really doesn't like Blip). What really drove me away is what many have mentioned- the increasing heavy handed self insert storylines. Linkara is really the worst for this, with his constant pretending he's a Power Ranger or Doctor Who. Add in that it's basically "Here's 12 minutes of me showing you how awesome I am in my head, outwitting multiverse emperors with toys". All the crossover events haven't really helped that, since they're basically the staff creating what they claim to lampoon. The AVGN vs NC feud has had it's moments but the rest....there's just something a bit too desperate about them to me. Like you're witnessing a bunch of people who were picked on through school escaping to their own self glorifying fantasy world.

#48 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32070 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 21 2012, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Esser-Z @ Jan 21 2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best person associated with the site is Dr. Ashen, who has his own site anyway. icon-fire.gif

All hail the Sad Onion!

SAD ONION YESSS

Seriously, he's the only one of them I actually watch every week. Between my admitted perverse lust for British accents and his genuine hilarity, plus my love for cheap jive and knock-offs... He's a winner.

#49 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6421 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 21 2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Linkara is really the worst for this, with his constant pretending he's a Power Ranger or Doctor Who.

I recall the first Secret Origins Month, when he concluded by asking "What's that? You wanted to know MY secret origin?" I looked at my computer and said aloud: "No. No, I did not". He needs to stop pretending that Linkara is a "character" in the way the Nostalgia Critic is a character Doug plays. Linkara is HIM, talking the way he does and reacting to a comic the way he does. And then trying to say that no, he's actually a character he plays who is a Power Ranger and a Time Lord, so he can have dress-up amateur hour... ugh.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 21 January 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#50 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34218 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

90s Kid is about the only one of Linkara's "characters" I like. Mainly because it actually works in the narrative of a comic review show.

Also how Brad riffed it mercilessly with his 80s Dan character.

#51 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32070 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Jan 21 2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Jan 21 2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Linkara is really the worst for this, with his constant pretending he's a Power Ranger or Doctor Who.

I recall the first Secret Origins Month, when he concluded by asking "What's that? You wanted to know MY secret origin?" I looked at my computer and said aloud: "No. No, I did not". He needs to stop pretending that Linkara is a "character" in the way the Nostalgia Critic is a character Doug plays. Linkara is HIM, talking the way he does and reacting to a comic the way he does. And then trying to say that no, he's actually a character he plays who is a Power Ranger and a Time Lord, so he can have dress-up amateur hour... ugh.

Yeaaah. The storylines really killed a lot of my interest. They're just... painful.

Compare Ashen's ghost-hunting episode. That was him being goofy in front of a camera. And it was HILARIOUS.

#52 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 6421 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jan 21 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
90s Kid is about the only one of Linkara's "characters" I like. Mainly because it actually works in the narrative of a comic review show.

Also how Brad riffed it mercilessly with his 80s Dan character.

I think that short bunch of episodes where Linkara was "missing" was the best example of that. Harvey Finevoice doing a review was just "Linkara does the review the same as always but with an accent, then sings at the end for some reason". Whereas 90's Kid actually reviewed it in a unique - and FUNNY - way that WASN'T the same as if it had been done normally.

#53 TerraEsperZ

TerraEsperZ
  • Citizen
  • 1304 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

ThatGuyWithTheGlasses is a weekly guilty pleasure for mine. I don't follow all the members all the time, mainly The Nostalgia Critic, The Nostalgia Chick and Spoony. But over time I came to find something interesting from the majority of the reviewers. Every once in a while, I'll give a chance to someone I previously had no interest in and I'm often pleasantly surprised though in some cases, I stick to only certain shows of theirs.

However, I'm still baffled by the amount of hate the site generates in some people, or even the harsh criticisms they deal out when a review isn't up to their standards. You'd think they were somehow paying for all this entertainment judging by their reactions.

While it's true that Doug and co make a living from making videos for the site, that doesn't, in my opinion, justify all the crap they get. I especially hate when a reviewer backs down or worse, apologizes either for daring to do a review that was *gasp* different than the ones they usually do, or for having expressed an unpopular (but justified and well explained) opinion about a movie, TV show or video game. I watch what I find entertaining and if/when I stop having fun there, I'll just stop visiting the site.

I do agree with everyone that the story arcs are at best tolerable and annoying. In some cases, they've made me stop following certain reviewers. Okay, only Linkara but The Dark Nella Saga came pretty close and l usually love Nella. They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't being played so seriously all the time. And yeah, some reviewers are almost more interesting when they're *not* being in character. I love the fact that Doug started reviewing new movies as himself in addition to Chester E. Bum and I don't know how natural Spoony is when reviewing a movie or game, but he was really funny in Counter Monkey. I don't remember any other 'au naturel' but it's always a nice change.

I hope the site stays around for a long time personally.

#54 HellCat

HellCat

Spreading the good word of Gunpla

• Citizen
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

To be fair, there are times when they get things wrong and deserve to be called out. Marzgurl is a great example- she did a set of videos covering the history of Disney and got various things wrong. When people who knew what they were talking about pointed said mistakes out, her mob of horny fanboys told them to stop nitpicking.
Which is another complaint in of itself- those who are a bit too eager about these people because they're getting entertainment in more ways then one.

Even Doug isn't perfect. For example, he insists the Last Action Hero review was a clever satire in the style of his movie but no one but him and his brother seem to believe this and it comes off as if he completely missed the point of the movie. He's even ignored plot threads in stuff he's reviewed solely to make jokes about how the movie doesn't cover plotholes he creates. He's one of the better ones for acknowledging this (see the likes of Top Nostalgia Critic hug Ups) but it still deserves to be called out when it happens.

However, yes, some people will just hate regardless.

#55 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 6421 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

That's why I fear we'll never seen story arcs and the like stop - because the comments threads on the videos are filled with nothing but blind, foaming praise.

#56 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34218 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(TerraEsperZ @ Jan 21 2012, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how natural Spoony is when reviewing a movie or game, but he was really funny in Counter Monkey.

Spoony is Spoony, far as I can tell. He's not much different from "Regular Joe Spoony" and "On Air Personality", save for maybe being a little more abrasive in "reality". Which might just be due to the year he's had.

Then again, he did bellow out "Betrayal" at E3, so maybe he just is that abrasive.

Edited by Rust, 21 January 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#57 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10090 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I love NC. His reviews are hilarious and he doesn't overdue the 'not part of the review' stuff. His other two personalities are excellent as well.

The only other reviewers from the site I watch regulary are Spoony (he doesn't do many reviews, but the ones he does are excellent), Film Brain, and Linkara (although I fast-forward through his silly little fanfic).

There are others on the site, but some I simply cannot watch (Angry Joe just annoys me, and CR, while very accurate and extensive, mainly just tries to justify his crush on this or that sexy cartoon character... see his Marge Simpson vs. Lois Griffin face-off) or ones who are funny but I have no interest in the things they review (Phelous and Cinema Snob) - I do watch these latter ones sometimes. Btw, check out Phelous' Troll II. review for a hilarious and very well animated Devastator appearance...

Edited by BB Shockwave, 21 January 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#58 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I must be the minority of people who actually likes Linkara's own segments. For me yes he's a bad actor but it's the fact that he's taking all these role play gadgets and actually doing something with them. I like how he incorporates the stuff in. Does it make sense in the long run. Hell No. The only time I really don't watch a review of his is when what he reviews has no interest to me.

Critic does go overboard with his jokes a lot of the time. He gets in a rut of using the same one over and over again and it grates on ya. GENESIS! being the latest. But really what gets me interested is the energy that he puts into the review. Yes his opinion may not be always stellar on everything but the gusto he puts into it is what makes it fun to watch. May not always be pleasantly fun at times but it's something better than the monotone opinions you get from professional reviews. I'd trust Dougs opinion of a movie over any newspaper or media reviewer in the larger media. He's my everyman of sorts. Not always right but he grasps the general audience better than other reviewers that work for the press.

Other than that I watch every other Nostalgia Chick, even though she comes off as kinda aggravating sometimes. Also the You Know Who segments lately have been fun. And I've watched a lot of CR's Familar Faces though lately those faces haven't been more of the norm lately. Angry Joe I just started to watch and he obviously doesn't know everything in the greatest detail of what he talks about, and his personality grates on me when he's raging on something, but his vocal points often match with my own, especially in the case of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 this year.
3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#59 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34218 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Daith @ Jan 21 2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Critic does go overboard with his jokes a lot of the time. He gets in a rut of using the same one over and over again and it grates on ya. GENESIS! being the latest.

GENEEEEEEEEEESIS!

I'm sorry, but I actually got a kick out of it. icon-fire.gif

#60 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10090 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Daith - I don't mind Linkara's fanfic-acting, but I wish he would do them separately from his comic reviews. He could just make a new section and upload them there... When I tune in for his reviews, it is to see him rip apart a badly written comic.

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Jan 21 2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brute Force is a crazy comic though. Hard to believe Marvel axed Transformers G1 due to low sales then had Furman write this crap. They wanted some toy company to approach them to make toys of Brute Force? Come on Marvel, thats dumb. I actually didn't know it was Furman who wrote Brute Force in the review of the first issue - but I recognised a Furmanism.

Wait, Furman wrote this AFTER Transformers?

I knew he did it - read the comic many years ago - but I thought it was one of his early works before he started writing TFs. I mean, if his name wasn't there, I could hardly tell he did this. I suspect the editors were severely telling him exactly what to write, especially due to the heavy-handed enviromentalist messages in the comic.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 21 January 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users