#1 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 980 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: There is very little doubt where the inspiration for this robot comes from. Prime BB is very similar in look to the various Movie Bumblebees, from the angled car hood as chest to the rear of the car as feet. Now if you?re sick to death of seeing yet another variation of Movie BB, welcome to the club, but in this case there are, in fact, some changes that make this new BB bearable. Overall the look, while clearly Movie-inspired, also has some of the softer Animated-styling as well. The head isn?t quite as bug-eyed. Some other subtle differences elevate this robot mode above being yet another Movie BB.

Getting BB into robot mode requires a somewhat complex, yet short of complicated transformation. Again, similarities to the way most Movie BBs transformed, but enough differences to inspire some new interest. Side note: The instruction sheet and the back of the package disagree on how exactly BB?s upper body is supposed to look. The back of the package forgoes setting the chest pieces at an angle, while the instructions neglect flipping the shoulders out sideways. For the completely screen-accurate look, though, you need to do both.

Speaking of screen accuracy, that?s pretty good. Just about the only thing worth mentioning is that on-screen BB carries blasters on both arms, while toy BB has just the one. Apparently the ?normal? (meaning not-First Edition) Prime BB will have two guns, so if that is important to you, you might want to wait for that one. Otherwise, though, the robot is spot-on as far as resemblance to the cartoon character goes. No complaints.

Finally, articulation. Bumblebee is as agile as you?d expect from a modern-day Transformers figure, including a twisting hip. The arrangement of the shoulders takes a moment to get used to, but it doesn?t hinder him in any way. The big feet make for a stable platform, so outrageous poses and kicking stances are not a problem, either. Just about the only thing he?s missing are twisting wrists, but he can twist his forearm, which mostly negates that limitation. Bottom line: A good robot mode whose only real downside is that the character depicted has been vastly overexposed these last few years.

Alternate Mode: Shockingly Bumblebee transforms into a yellow car with black racing stripes, who would have guessed? It?s not a Camaro this time, more of a generic muscle car with the engine sticking out from the hood and a huge front grill. Apart from the black racing stripes, silver rims, red stop lights, and blue-tinted windows break up the yellow monotony. There?s also an Autobot symbol on the hood.

Sadly the transparent blue windows show the robot arms lying inside the cabin. You don?t recognize them as such necessarily, but they do fill up the insides pretty well. Apart from that, though, no visible robot bits. Bumblebee?s blaster can be stored on the underside of the vehicle; sadly there is no way to actually utilize it in this mode (making it able to plug into the exposed engine wouldn?t have been hard, I think). Apart from that, though, no complaints. A good car mode, even if it is yet another yellow and black sports car.

Remarks: Transformers Prime once again features a Bumblebee as part of the core cast. This version of the yellow bot is taken almost directly from the Movie line, both in terms of look and his inability to speak. He?s also once again the child-relatable character, being paired with the youngest of the Autobots? human friends, Raf. Personally Bumblebee has failed to make much of an impression on me in the first season of Prime, but given the limitations (lack of speech, overexposure in the movies, etc.) that is hardly surprising. Maybe he will be more entertaining to watch in season two.

I was very much opposed to getting another Bumblebee toy, especially one that resembles the Movie version so closely. If it hadn?t been for my buddy James, who got the First Edition figures for me at a very decent price, I would have left him lying. As it is, I grudgingly admit that he?s a nice toy. Far from revolutionary, but given the fact that the designers were forced to somehow make a new toy out of a character that has seen a billion incarnations already, they did a stand-up job and my hat?s off to them. So if you like Transformers Prime, there is no reason not to get this figure here, even if you?re sick to death of Movie BB.

Rating: B

#2 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I am glad that you liked the price and gave him an honest to goodness quality review. I too am suffering from a BB overload but I can't hate on the yellow guy (except you TFA Bumblebee!) since Chante loves him. Besides, why would Hasbro not utilize one of their most popular characters to continue milking the cash cow?
A lesson for you to remember, "Never hate anything so much that cancer is chosen to teach you otherwise. Live your life and enjoy everyone and everything around you."

#3 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Oh and for those that don't know, Cyberverse Commander figures here are 8 bucks or so. Over in Germany I was seeing them for almost 19 EURO. You should look that up on a currency converter to make yourselves feel better about prices.
A lesson for you to remember, "Never hate anything so much that cancer is chosen to teach you otherwise. Live your life and enjoy everyone and everything around you."

#4 Philister

Philister

Teutonicons Rising!

• Citizen
  • 980 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Well, not quite. The Deluxe usually go for 17 to 20 euros here. The Commanders go for 10 to 12. Still a lot more, yes, but then again, we do have a higher average income, too. icon-waspy.gif

#5 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Philister @ Jan 17 2012, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, not quite. The Deluxe usually go for 17 to 20 euros here. The Commanders go for 10 to 12. Still a lot more, yes, but then again, we do have a higher average income, too. icon-waspy.gif

I saw Blackout at that 100 plus year old store for 18,99 but that could have been the converted cost left in my brain. Oh well.

#6 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4558 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

I was going to forego this Bee in favour of the next one because I liked the twin balster look. But after hearing things about an auto-transform gimmick and the fact that PRID Bee is even smaller than this one, I decided to pull the trigger on FE Bee.

I admit that I like him a lot more than I thought I would, but man is he fiddle-y! I have a real hard time getting his chest halves to stay at that angle, and I also have a hard time getting those two little chest tabs to separate from the bottom of his chest. Especially the right side.

Edited by Shockwave 75, 06 February 2012 - 02:27 AM.

#7 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Feb 6 2012, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to forego this Bee in favour of the next one because I liked the twin balster look. But after hearing things about an auto-transform gimmick and the fact that PRID Bee is even smaller than this one, I decided to pull the trigger on FE Bee.

I admit that I like him a lot more than I thought I would, but man is he fiddle-y! I have a real hard time getting his chest halves to stay at that angle, and I also have a hard time getting those two little chest tabs to separate from the bottom of his chest. Especially the right side.

After seeing several of the main cast PRID figures, I am happy that I got the BB and Arcee, but I am deeply saddened about Optimus. I don't know what to say about CJ or Ratchet and I worry what horrors are going to befall Bulkhead.

At least Wheeljack and Soundwave look good. Does anyone know if the Eradicon/Vehicon is going to be a redeco of the FE version?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users