- - - - -

2.13: "Baby Cakes"

123 replies to this topic

#21 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

I really liked the depth Pinkie acquired in this episode without it going over the top like in Party of One. She's still my least favourite pony, but her being more than merely comic relief (And even in Party of One, it was essentially just comic relief) was a most appreciated surprise. So she does have pride, and she can actually, seriously do what's needed if it's really, really needed - well, and overdoing it a little bit, or missapplying it, but still. Not just comic relief. That's great. And God knows, Pinkie needs deeper characterisation. Great to see she's finally provided with some.

I thought the little ones' lolpowers were just a little bit overdone, though, tbh. Yes, magic sparks, alright... But on a scale implying that the little one will rival Twilight when growing older? Uh...

The Cake's playing it patently straight, and asking everypony to babysit in exactly the order I think pretty much everyone would ask them was well-done, too - easy to just order them randomly, as long as Pinkie comes last, but nope. Thought out, that. And the Cake's worries when Pinkie was the last one standing (And already a sign of her pride, when she plays hard to get in that very moment, hee. Later reinforced when Twilight shows up). Probably a bit painful for Pinkie that they asked Rainbow Dash before her <_<

Twilight's nose being dented a little when Pinkie slammed the door before her was cute~

By and large, Ms. Fullerton (The writer) had avery difficult premise to work with - I hate baby episodes in pretty much everything -, but she solved it beautifully, considering said premise. It's still probably her weakest episode yet, but considering what the others were (Every last one of them brilliant and upper-tier), that's hardly a condemnation, even when ignoring the subject matter and the difficulties involved, which pretty much turn it into outright praise - the first time a baby-thing has come up in any media that I didn't outright hate, but rather, uhm, well... Enjoyed it. Huh.

I remain mostly excited for next week and complete mane cast interaction, though. The dreaded baby episode being decent was a nice surprise, but now for an episode for which I've ginormous expectations~

#22 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(Rezo @ Jan 14 2012, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably a bit painful for Pinkie that they asked Rainbow Dash before her <_<

Honestly, I'd ask Derpy before asking Pinky.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#23 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Database @ Jan 14 2012, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rezo @ Jan 14 2012, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably a bit painful for Pinkie that they asked Rainbow Dash before her <_<

Honestly, I'd ask Derpy before asking Pinky.

I?d ask Derpy before asking either Dash or Pinkie.

#24 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9367 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

We don't really know anything about Derpy's actual personality unless we go by fanon (in which case she has a kid herself, so obviously she'd make a good babysitter), so who's to say. The only ones of the main characters I can really see being good (in a responsible way) with children would be AJ, Rarity, and Fluttershy. Twilight would try, but I think she'd eventually be overwhelmed and rely too much on parenting books. Rainbow is just too irresponsible, and Pinkie is kind of the "fun aunt" figure, I guess. She'd be a blast for the kid to hang out with, but not necessarily the safest guardian. Although I think I would ask Pinkie before Rainbow; but the other 4 before either of them.

#25 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Beast Mayhem Hangoutcateer

• Citizen
  • 22234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

wow not even 2 minutes in and I'm rolling on my floor laughing

"..<_<...>_>... that makes sense right?" - who are you trying to convince Mr. LOL

best one line zinger ever.
The Only TF podcast too Adult to record
Saturdays Bi-weekly New people welcome- 18+ required...maturity not so much.

#26 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

That was cute and enjoyable.

So, are Unicorn/Pegasus traits dominent, recessive, or passed down randomly?

Or has Mrs. Cake been cheating?

#27 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Jan 14 2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't seen new ep yet. Did I miss much? I see people say it is the "worts ep ever".
(if there is a princess appearance I'll download it now, if there isn't - I'll wait.)

No Princess appearance in this one, and I would say it's far from the worst episode. It was fun and enjoyable.

Did anyone spot Derpy in this episode, or was she missing again?

#28 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

for some reason i really liked Carrot Cakes stubble at the beginning
I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#29 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

The stubble was a nice touch. Must've been a long labour for Mrs Cake.

Also, this song is now stuck firmly in my head.

Apparently, Daniel Ingram has said over on his FB page that it was originally written for the season 1 finale but was cut for time.

#30 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9367 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Gotta love the looks on the kid's faces during Pinkie's song. They've definitely got a "WTF am I looking at?" vibe.

It's interesting how just a few tweaks can turn that baby pony design from extremely creepy into something you can actually call cute.

Needless to say, I think the unusual magical abilities of Pumpkin must have been examples of those "strange magic surges" that Rarity was talking about. I'd be interested to see if Twilight ever manages to pull off similar flight and matter phasing spells, though.

#31 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Wow. Forgot today was Saturday.

"That makes sense, right?" Pony genetics. I love they they canonized what we've been talking about for over a year. But really, it's the ONLY thing that makes sense. Mendallian Genetics at its purest.

Chuck Jones baby eyes! Creepy but a nice reference to one of my favorite animators of all time. Really this entire episode felt like one long Chuck Jones cartoon. Can't you just see Daffy where Pinkie is?

While I don't hate anyone, my apathy to Pinkie borders on dislike. This episode solidifies her character well. She's arrogant, boastful and mean spirited sometimes (Hey, if anything Discord showed we all have a dark side.) and generally all around not funny. But here she had a chance to shine. She wasn't a Mary Sue character. I loved that she turned down Twilight's help. I like that she thought it would be a piece of cake (hah!) and when she found out it wasn't, refused to give up out of pride, not determination. I think that's why she was crying at the end, because she'd been humbled.

I think that the cake babies won't be able to do any of that stuff when they're older. There's no way that Pound can fly and Scoots can't, or that Nom Nom is a better Unicron than Twilight. I think they did it for a) comedy relief and b) because it was a power phasing thing, like Jack Jack Attack. Someone mentioned babies can swim but toddlers can't. Same thing.

Pinkie's first "Let me check my schedule" face. OMG, that sold me right there. I want that gif'd so bad. She totally looked like an Animaniacs character. Maybe Minerva Mink or someone. Can't quite place it.

Asking the girls. They did it in the right order I think. Fluttershy is the go-to girl. Twilight works for the Princess so she might be free, and saved the town from the Ursa Minor, Hydra, Nightmare Moon, ect. The only reason they didn't ask AJ second was because they knew she'd probably be busy. And Rarity has a sister, she she'd be okay. (Which, as an aside, I love that Rarity just said 'no." You don't always have to give a reason to turn something down.) The only one that doesn't make sense is Dash, but with as good a friend as Dash and Pinkie are, maybe the Cakes heard Pinkie talk about Dash all the time.

Twilight. Bless her pea-pickin little heart. I love that girl but I can't see her being outstanding 'mother' material. She's just too... feather brained. She could be a good mom someday, and she'd try her best to be a good baby sitter, but I suspect this episode could have replaced Pinkie with Twilight and we'd have the same results. Heck, Spike would be a better babysitter than either of them.

Surprise, it's Surprise!

Pinkie's standup routine. The sound effects were hilarious, and the double Pinkie was great.

Pinkie cleaning was as great a lesson as the entire episode. Kids/girls need to know that babysitting is work. It's fun at times, but when you've got two or three of them, they'll drive you crazy. Trust me, I know.

Over all, I liked this episode because it was off kilter and fun. And in a rare stroke, Pinkie Pie was funny. icon-hotrod.gif
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#32 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 12940 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Actually, Mendellian genetics don't quite cover it. The cited relative on Mrs. Cake's side is "twice removed" which means in-law. No direct genetic link. icon-hotrod.gif

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#33 Shutterbug

Shutterbug
  • Supporter
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(TM2 Dinobot @ Jan 14 2012, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pinkie's first "Let me check my schedule" face. OMG, that sold me right there. I want that gif'd so bad. She totally looked like an Animaniacs character. Maybe Minerva Mink or someone. Can't quite place it.

I believe this is what you are looking for. I'll have a hub logo-less version when I gif the whole episode.

#34 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

There's no way that Pound can fly and Scoots can't, or that Nom Nom is a better Unicron than Twilight.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

#35 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4806 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Jan 14 2012, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, Mendellian genetics don't quite cover it. The cited relative on Mrs. Cake's side is "twice removed" which means in-law.

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

Edited by Scavgraphics, 14 January 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#36 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4806 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Jan 14 2012, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... I guess it is safe to assume that Scootaloo was born and lives in Ponyvilel and has family there as well then?

There is a reason not to?

#37 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Jan 14 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... I guess it is safe to assume that Scootaloo was born and lives in Ponyvilel and has family there as well then?

Did I miss something? Weren't we already assuming that?
FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#38 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

When I first heard about this episode I thought "How can the Cakes have kids that we never seen them before?" I was wondering how they were going to explain this discrepancy then low and beyond, Ms. Cake just gave birth to them. That would explain why we haven't seen Ms. Cake for a while, she was with foal! =D

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Jan 14 2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for clarifying, I never knew what that meant till now.

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Jan 14 2012, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kein @ Jan 14 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I miss something? Weren't we already assuming that?

I guess because we never seen her parents or where she lives? I donno.
Spoiler

#39 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Jan 14 2012, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, Mendellian genetics don't quite cover it. The cited relative on Mrs. Cake's side is "twice removed" which means in-law. No direct genetic link. icon-hotrod.gif

---Dave

Even with Scav?s correction regarding the "twice removed" part, Dvandom?s point still stands. Cupcake?s "great aunt?s second cousin twice removed" is not part of Pound Cake?s direct genetic ancestry, not by a long shot.

That?s not supposed to be a hint of how their genetics work though, but the setup for a great and subtle joke, and Destron already mentioned it:
"..<_<...>_>... that makes sense right?" - who are you trying to convince Mr. LOL

No, Mr Cake, I?m afraid it does not... and you damn well know it, lol

My favorite line of the episode as well.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac, 15 January 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#40 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9367 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Maybe Mr. Cake mentioned that relative of his wife's simply to indicate that there was precedent in her family for the occasional Pegasi birth, meaning that at some point in the past relative to both known specimen there was an introduction of Pegasi genes into the family.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users