2014 Anime season!

2562 replies to this topic

#1 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28218 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

So I figured that I'd make a topic for each Anime season instead of just one or two individual shows. Saves space. So I'll list what cool stuff is airing, continuing, etc and so forth. Of course, a LOT of anime airs every season, so I'll probably miss stuff, so don't hesitate to point out things I miss! Anyhoo:

New Shows:

Kill Me Baby
vgrmlf.jpg

A weird little comedy from JC Staff, about the assassin schoolgirl Sonya and her normal classmate Yasuna. It's pretty much 100% gags, with lots of the humour being derived from Sonya's assassin training overreacting to Yasuna's idiotic goading. Also there's a rather whacked out ninja girl. Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it show.

High School DxD
wl2451.jpg

Your usual fanservice harem comedy. This one is about a young perverted teenager who finally manages to score a girlfriend only for her to kill him on the first date, then get drawn into a secret war between demons and fallen angels. Lots of breasts in this one, but because it's based off a light novel series there's a good chance it'll be a very cluttered adaptation.

Senki Sessho Symphogear
20t2s1d.jpg

The first mecha-related show features at first glance some power-armoured idol girls fighting monsters, but don't be fooled. High death counts and shocking developments in just the first episode have pencilled this title in as one to watch if you like action and drama.

Mouretsu Pirates (also known as Bodacious Space Pirates)
5mh6wo.jpg

With an awesome rock intro, high production values, cool starships, great tech design and a large cast set for 26 episodes, Mouretsu Pirates is the story of a young girl from the planet Sea of Morningstar, a planet which fought for historical independance many years ago with the help of privateer Space Pirates. This history comes back to bite Kato Marika in the butt one day when it turns out her missing father, revealed to be the captain of a Pirate vessel, has died, leaving her in line to become captain of the vessel. Definitely check this one out.

Rinne No Lagrange
zo9ht5.jpg

Production IG and Xebec have brought out an interesting and beautiful mecha show this season with Rinne no Lagrange. Kyono Madoka just wants to help people, which is why she formed a school club devoted to aiding others. Then an alien girl with some goggles showed up and got her to help pilot a robot called Vox Aura against a trio of alien men in a battle above a floating fortress island. A very pretty and interesting show with a quirky sense of humour as well as some mystery about it, Rinne no Lagrange is very refreshing. It's also the first time I've ever seen someone use a Suplex on a giant robot, complete with count.

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
kyu50.jpg

A collaboration between Square-Enix and Sunrise, which is so weird the characters themselves comment on it in the first episode, Daily Lives is a silly little comedy about a bunch of guys screwing about with each other. If you like the sort of humour the show uses, you'll find it hilarious. Lots of good voice actors and plenty of gags.

Black Rock Shooter
ndlap0.jpg

Once a song and vocaloid meme thing, now it's own series, Black Rock Shooter is about alternate personas of real people fighting in abstract worlds. And stuff. The OVA last year was pretty well-recieved, but the jury's still out on the TV series and its' new art style.

Other new shows include several sports-related titles, a couple of romantic comedies, and a historical drama anime called Brave10.

Sequels and Second Seasons:

Amagami SS+ plus, Natsume Yuujin Chou Shi, New Prince of Tennis, Milky Holmes 2nd Act, Zero no Tsukaima F, Nisemonogotari, Aquarion EVOL, and the new Smile Precure series.

Shows continuing into the new year:

Gundam AGE, Cardfight Vanguard, Digimon Xros Wars, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, Persona 4, Last Exile, and the final season of Shakugan no Shana.

Full plate this season, Personally I'd recommend Gundam AGE, Vanguard, Guilty Crown, Rinne, Pirates, Daily Lives, Precure, and Aquarion EVOL if you watched the first one.

Edited by Nyarlathotep, 04 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#2 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12158 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys looks like it has Rod Stewart in the line up. might need to check it out

so far I will be watching
Kill Me Baby (That ED theme is so damn catchy its insane)
Senki Sessho Symphogear
Mouretsu Pirates
Rinne No Lagrange
Black Rock Shooter
Brave10
Another

While catching up on Persona 4 and Guilty Crown....so far behind.

#3 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28218 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

Feels good to have like five mecha-heavy shows in a season.

Of course mecha using the Japanese use tends towards anything heavily-involving mechanical design, so pirate starships and power armour count along as well. Still, Aquarion, gundam, rinne.

#4 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18995 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

I'm in for Nisemonogatari. I'll try out Lagrange. It sounds right up my alley.

#5 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

I'll definitely check out the Symphogear and Pirates.

Thanks for this thread, I'm a very light on my anime knowledge so finding new shows is always fairly difficult for me, so this is very informative.

Though I'm having such a good time with Stein's Gate I'm not sure anything will be able to capture me like that show for a while.
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#6 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18995 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

El Psy Congroo, my good man.

#7 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12158 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(Internet Jesus @ Jan 11 2012, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

El Psy Congroo, my good man.

and Dr Pepper !

#8 Maxx Blast

Maxx Blast

Formerly Invincible.

• Citizen
  • 5318 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

I am mad scientist! It's so cool! Sunuvabitch!
Team Fortress 2 Weapons Found: 3 Axtinguishers, 2 Ambassadors, 2 Flare Gun, The Dead Ringer, Sandman, Ubersaw, Sandvich, Natascha

#9 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

High on Believing

• Citizen
  • 18995 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

And then everyone was Christina.

#10 Wingus

Wingus

The Pungeon Master

• Supporter
  • 17871 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

I'm debating on the space pirates one, but the watchplate is kinda full with following Gokaiger and Fourze, and trying to finish Den-O on the side, and looking to start Slayers.

#11 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4505 posts
  • Location:Providence RI (Formerly Pittsburgh PA &amp; Wales UK)
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wasn't Panty and Stocking supposed to get a second season this year?
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#12 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

pirates and Symphogear catch my eye, so I will give those a go eventually.

Any word on the Code Geass OAV/Spin-off/Sidequel?

Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#13 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28218 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Liege @ Jan 11 2012, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't Panty and Stocking supposed to get a second season this year?

If it is, nobody's heard about it.

#14 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 20035 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yikes. I need to hurry up and catch up on Suite.

And Heartcatch.

And Fresh.

Man, I've been a failure of a Pretty Cure fan for the past few years.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#15 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 5080 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

I saw a banner for Guilty Crown that caught my eye the other day, but Funimation had no links to a trailer or teaser. How is it?

Symphogear and Pirates sound interesting, anyone streaming those in the US yet?

#16 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 2861 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

The first episode of Bodacious Space Pirates was solid, but didn't really do anything. It feels like it has plenty of potential, though. Nothing else really leaps out at me apart from Aquarion EVOL, which I haven't started on yet (I've only just started watching the original after getting it on DVD for Christmas). I'll wait until we're 3 weeks or so into the season and see where things stand at that point.

QUOTE(Confuzor @ Jan 11 2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a banner for Guilty Crown that caught my eye the other day, but Funimation had no links to a trailer or teaser. How is it?

Symphogear and Pirates sound interesting, anyone streaming those in the US yet?

Crunchyroll's streaming Pirates, dunno about Symphogear.
@1ststagemidboss Tumblr
3DS Friend Code: 3952-7308-5185 - Let me know if you add me.
PSN: AWindfall

#17 EvilEyeSigma

EvilEyeSigma

I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam.

• Citizen
  • 12717 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

I already started pirates, will probably give Lagrange a try.

I hate Aquarion with a fiery passion, so that's never getting a try.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4828 4709 8331

#18 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8600 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Adding Pirates and Lagrange to my list, along with Guilty Crown, though it'll probably be 2013 by the time I get to them.

Hell, I'm only halfway through Gundam 00. Hell, I'm only halfway through Bubblegum Crisis 2040. icon-wildride.gif

#19 Cabal

Cabal
  • Citizen
  • 2060 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Definitely plan on giving Pirates a watch. Probably give Another and Lagrange a try. Although currently I'm working through some titles I skipped over in pass seasons like Nichijou.

#20 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28218 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Confuzor @ Jan 12 2012, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guilty Crown is...interesting. It's got sci-fi super-high production values and some wonderful animation, but the setting is a bit simplistic and it suffers from "everybody is better than the main character who is a bit of a joke" syndrome.

Generally people want it to improve.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users