The Archie Comics (hopefully) mega thread

764 replies to this topic

#1 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28118 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

I thought we could use this since the old Sonic comic thread was deleted. And since Archie has a lot of interesting stuff coming down the pipe, it might be cool to open it up to everything they're publishing.

So, been some interesting stuff going on in Sonic...

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Sally being roboticized. We've been here before, but considering I expected her to bite the big one, I honestly felt surprised by what Ian ultimately ended up doing. But then, it's opening a lot of character points that weren't explored when Sally was roboticized the last time, or when she "died" during Endgame. Considering Eggman's about to take a blowtorch to her, I have to say, I expect this won't turn out as well as it did last time...

Anyway, then there's what's been happening with Nicole. Just. God. Nicole. The poor girl has been run through so much jive lately. Just when it seemed like things were looking up and Espio and Dimitri cheered her up, she loses her original body (Sally's computer) and her best friend in one fell swoop. What's been happening to Nicole is one of the most heart-wrenching things this comic has ever touched upon.

In Sonic Universe, we've gotten a fair amount of characterization and backstory for the Battle Bird Armada and Babylon Rogues. Considering Predator Hawk has been tied into them, they feel a bit like Archie's current pet villains. I can't say I'm complaining. They're definitely a nice change of pace, and I love how the Battle Lord has proven to be an absolute bad ass, despite his appearances.

In other news, Rotor is back to kicking ass! He spends the latest Sonic Universe issues fighting in his battle armor from the last Silver story in the main book, and it's good to see him fighting alongside his friends again. You can't really accuse Ian of having a bias against him anymore.

I'm not so sure on Bunnie being brought down to normal, but I can see the potential it has in future storylines. Ian has always written Bunnie well, so I can't imagine he's gonna "chickify" her or make her less bad ass. The back-up story where she reveals she'd actually come to prefer being half mechanized and feels like she lost part of who she was honestly very poignant and heartfelt. It's something she's lived with for a long time, so it makes sense that she'd start seeing her mechanical parts as part of her. That said, I imagine there's a story in what caused Naugus's powers to restore her when she'd had her original limbs replaced.

Finally... last but not least... The Tails Doll. He has come. The end is nigh.

The next Sonic Universe arc after "Babylon Rising" looks good. Focuses on the Eggman Empire and his sub-bosses/Grandmasters, and introduces HIGHLIGHT to view:
Orbot and Cubot to the comic universe. I look forward to seeing that.

#2 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

When I saw "mega" thread, I was thinking that Mega Man was intended to be a part of this as well. But it has its own thread... but maybe it would be easier (and more beneficial to both topics?) to include it here as well?

Unless that was the plan anyway, in which case, never mind me.

And I missed that HIGHLIGHT to view:
Nichole had lost her original "body," though that makes perfect sense in hindsight.

Gotta admit, if there's one thing Ian is good at, it's shaking things up. Sure, past writers managed to do so, but it never quite managed to have the same feel. "Oh no, Knuckles is dead!?" Yeah, like we didn't know how that would turn out, comic books notwithstanding...

And the Battle Bird Armada is all-around pretty awesome. I love how Ian incorporates long lost stuff from the games into the comics...

On the "Riverdale" side of things... well, I need to fill in the holes in my Life with Archie collection SO badly, so I can read it all and get caught up...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#3 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28118 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

I didn't want to step on the toes of the guys in that thread. ^^;

I've heard the new comic focusing on Archie being married to Bettie/Veronica is pretty good. I may check it out.

#4 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

Surrounded by crazy people

• Citizen
  • 14317 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jan 4 2012, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
Finally... last but not least... The Tails Doll. He has come. The end is nigh.

Can you feel the sunshine... Does it brighten up your day...
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#5 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Jan 4 2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard the new comic focusing on Archie being married to Bettie/Veronica is pretty good. I may check it out.

That would be Life with Archie. icon-hotrod.gif

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#6 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

So we post Mega Man #9 stuff here instead of the original thread? Not going to happen... At least not for me this week cuz I'm only getting my #9 next week, argh, argh, ARGH!!! I really want to see how Bates does with the robot masters and who challenge Rock first. I think it's suppose to be Air Man but there's that darn cant beat Air Man song or universal weapon Metal Man by I always started with Flash Man because he has two easy access energy tanks in his very easy stage. Preview pages should be out but, argh, I want the issue!

Sonic's really, really intriguing now that the homage is done (sorry, I didn't get into it. Having Sally, Antoine and Rotor ruined the pureness for me) but I haven't read the latest issues. I hope Hershey's death is explained and Bunnie is ok and Deadly Cuddles isn't what I read reactions to be (cuz that would be scary) (though I would like it if Flynn brought Emerl into the Prime universe. That two part ep in the Sonic X toon made me tear up. I like robot stories plus Cream was surprisingly semi badass in an extremely tragic way.)

#7 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'll have to get down to the comic shop on Wednesday and grab the latest issues...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#8 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Omega Guardians, FTW!!

• Forum Moderator
  • 8706 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Has anybody heard any new news on the upcoming NEW CRUSADERS project? This is the Archie comic to which I'm really looking forward. I'm quite excited for it.

If anyone hasn't heard anything about it, here are a couple articles with writer Ian Flynn and artist Ben Bates.

Edited by Ursa Magnus, 11 January 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#9 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

@spengler - Is that a good thing or a bad thing? As an overall reaction to the 9th issue? The preview pages only went up yesterday-ish at http://www.archiecom...MEGA-MAN-9.aspx

I've been looking forward to the issue all this time but I Automatically went with 'do I like the way Rock is being drawn' in my head but it Quickly became 'whoa, whoa, WHOA!' with Bates' dynamic depiction of disaster. Ouch on Rock's method of disarmament. Hope the rest of the issue keeps up with the fast pace icon-hotrod.gif

What's up with the Crusaders? I only know of them from the old Archie ads of them going 'I'm steel sterling. Hi' , 'i'm hangman. Hello.' in a very unimaginative spread. I recall only a mister justice changing his intro to 'greetings' while the other guys were just doing boring repetative hi's and hello's. Unless these are. Different set of heroes.

#10 Confuzor

Confuzor

Now put em in Smash Bros!

• Supporter
  • 5063 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Awesome! Can't wait!

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

Late reactions to Mega Man 9. Well, Quick Man's intro was the best sequence. Wood Man's wasn't too dynamic since he wasn't getting physical and Bubble Man wasn't anything. Still, there's still other robot master fights that Bates can show off more cool moves.

Auto, ok. If he's there early then I'm betting that once Rush shows up, Beat, Tango and Fliptop / Eddie (which is the musical reference name?) will be around in the background already but not weaponized yet. ?Fliptop dropped bombs in... Mega Man 8's flying sequence thingy, as I recall.

So Rock has a time frame to finish his mission? I guess that's a way to get around the other good Light robot masters from helping, plus the threat thingy. But what about the Light machines 1-3? ?How will they fit in?

I agree that the bots were given personalities with just a few pages but I think Flynn could have made Wood Man more peaceful or something. ?It was telling how he was shown with his animal minions sitting around him and how he called them his friends. It could have been more tragic if he was unwilling to fight after he was activated but was still programmed to. It fits cuz the Leaf Shield is defense based. He was built as an environmental camo attack bot but form matched function and he got too attached to the forest. I dunno, I guess I'm reading too much into it.

Bubble Man was just sad. He's stage was rough with the one touch, death spikes an I found him to be a tough bot to kill unless I had Metal Blade. Can't recall if leaf shield is effective against him but it was a gruesome way to go.?

Dunno about the virus that Rock is absorbing but I like that Flynn referenced that he went crazy when he absorbed too many abilities in the first arc.

I guess Proto Man has to appear first before Bass does. I kinda like it that the background guys can appear out of game order now that Auto showed up.?

Mariarchi whoever isn't real, is he? He's not an obscure Japanese character like that vulture pet that Wily is suppose to have from Mega man 7?

Lol at the Mega Man rap thing that Spengler said. The only other awesome videos I know of Mega Man are the 'what if 2 had lyrics', that Can't beat Air man Japanese song and those awesome toons Wily's shorts and interview with a damp wire. I should post links.

#12 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 5063 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I really REALLY hope we get a end-of-issue cliffhanger where Megaman CAN'T BEAT AIRMAN! ^_^

Bates continues to be my favorite artist Archie's got right now.

#13 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Omega Guardians, FTW!!

• Forum Moderator
  • 8706 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Another interview with Ben Bates about the upcoming New Crusaders project, this time with some preview art of the new Jaguar.

Not a whole lot of new information as far as release or anything, but I'm still excited to see any kind of information about this project.

#14 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I just sped through Sonic #231-233. The runner's high is fading and I can't remember the details but, WOW, those are good issues!

-though he's not shown much, I actually LIKE Naugus. I hope it turns out that he is legitimately a good ruler, or else he realizes he can't cope in a non-barbaric world and let's Geoff or Elias do the 'paperwork' while he does warlord stuff. I loved it when he and Sonic went off to combat the Death Egg. As long as Eggman is around, Naugus can just doing magic fighting stuff. What does he want with the throne anyway? Slaves? A queen? If it's power ala magic, he doesn't need the throne for that (unless it's the Source that he's after, in which case, isn't the Sword and Crown of Acorns rendered inert already? Or maybe he needs Royal Blood. OMG, he's going to sacrifice Elias' baby! Naaah.) Anyway, Naugus is cool with me so far. Geoff being there will help him out (like dealing with Bunnie's regeneration). And I'm sure there will be an awesome moment in the future when he overcomes the three original spirit influences and will make the right choice in the end. Or maybe Mogul will rein him in again, LOL!

- Bunnie's being normal, HAHA! I figured she'd miss her robot limbs, LOL! C'mon, if Nicole can build Rotor a flying suit, she can build leg boosters and an arm cannon for her. And then Bunnie can share it with Antoine then they can pass it to their kids Belle and Jacques, meaning they were disabled when they were born. On the cure, that's just added points on Naugus being on the side of good icon-hotrod.gif

- Ugh, I haven't read Universe yet! Sonic horned in on the action? Oh well.

- Pshaw on Hershey being dead. She's just legionized somewhere. Or maaaaaybe she's a secret agent serving under a cat god or something. Kodos WAS a lion, right? A weird looking lion. That gave had spider babies with Uma Arachnis. (He was the father, right?)

- Eh on Geoff's history. Too much to get into. As long as he stops looking so smug, he's fine with me.

- Sally being robotized was awesome (in a story sense). I suppose the process worked because it was too close to the reset button. Or maybe she was just a robotized version in another dimension. Whatever. Why didn't it enter Sonic's mind to have Naugus crystal zap her to make her normal again?

- I'm actually not fond of Nicole's plight with the discrimination and stuff. Also with the whole arguing over the throne thing, haha. The thing about her losing her original body is... a plot point! It wouldn't matter to Nicole if she lost her original body. She could just find it and plug into it again. It wasn't destroyed... it's inside of Mecha Sally! Nicole will integrate into Mecha Sally using her original hand held... then it will probably be a Lightning Lad / Proty deal from Legion of Super-Heroes. Sally's dead but Nicole will pretend to be her, ha ha. They just need to get back to flesh and fur again.

- I was THRILLED to see Knuckles in 232 on the cover! I thought they would team up! But they just talked, LOL! Or argued. I LOVED the dialogue or how Sonic reverted to trying to outmacho Knuckles with the "What do you mean it would... it would totally... YOU'RE a bad idea!" LMAO! Knuckles needs some adventuring again soon, YEAH! C'mon, where's the next Sonic Universe TPBs so I could buy them already? I want the Knuckles arc!

- OMG, Mighty and Ray are sending letters! Give them an arc already! OMG let them find Hershey! They're looking for Matilda, right? Let them check in SouMerca for clues to where Grandmaster Beauregard sent Matilda! OMG, let them team up with the Sandblasters! Jolt and Shift and Tex are awesome! OMG, the Deathegg will be heading that way to refuel! We're going to see Beau and Matilda there again so Mighty and Ray will be there and Eggman will zap them into the Segasonic whatever arcade game dimension where Ray originally appeared woohoo!

I've GOT to start writing emails to Archie about Mighty and Ray or else they'll never know they have fans (well, more of Ray's fans. Mighty's not so bad. He's a very decent guy after all. Just too clean. Which isn't a bad thing at all). Or just posting at the Bumbleking forum.

- Wait, what Tails doll? I thought Deadly Cuddles was just a planted spy toy. There's a game reference to it?

#15 Confuzor

Confuzor

• Supporter
  • 5063 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Tails Doll was introduced in Sonic R. It was just this creepy plush that hovered lifelessly. That game also gave us Metal Knuckles which I'm surprised the comic hasn't utilized yet.

#16 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5643 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE(Confuzor @ Feb 2 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tails Doll was introduced in Sonic R. It was just this creepy plush that hovered lifelessly. That game also gave us Metal Knuckles which I'm surprised the comic hasn't utilized yet.

Ya Mecha Knux don't count in that regard. You would Think Robotnik would of tried using one against both Sonic and Knuckles.
3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#17 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

When was the last time Eggman encountered Knuckles anyway? I don't think they even met during the lead up to the landmark 200th issue. It's been nearly 3 years, lol.

Checked up on the Tails doll, lol. I didn't know. It just never occured to me that Deadly Cuddles could be the doll that Cream picked up. I thought is was a throwaway scene to give Cream some page time to be useful and only after reading reactions did I know it was Deadly Cuddles. I didn't realize it was a game canon reference, lol!

Hope Flynn does researches tidbits like that for Mega Man as well. I read in an interview that he wasn't a Mega Man fan. And who the heck wrote the Fragile Bunnie story? First Tracy writes the Babylon Arc and now this? Flynn must be getting burned out from controlling the Archie actionverse for too long, poor guy.

#18 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Feb 1 2012, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or maybe he needs Royal Blood. OMG, he's going to sacrifice Elias' baby! Naaah.)

If royal blood is what he needs, then Elias' baby wouldn't work.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#19 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Uh, it was referenced before in a previous issue that the baby wasn't Elias' and it was his wife's first husband? Cuz if it was, I must have forgotten. Was it Ken Pender's original idea that the baby isn't the next in lone to the throne or was it a retcon or so?

I'm glad they brought up the rest of the Brotherhood. Poor guys are just floating in limbo. Hey, what happened to Lienda's screen time?

#20 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14532 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

I forgot who said what and when; just that when Elias got handed the crown, it was made clear that his wife and the kid weren't royalty.

No other kids they have qualify, either.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users