Redline

37 replies to this topic

#1 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28235 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

Okay, so this movie comes out in January for Americans, and it's already out in the UK and Australia.

Redline is a hyper-detailed hand-animated film by Studio Madhouse who did the thing as a big long project they've been working on for ages. Basically, it's the future and all across the galaxy civilizations compete in the Redline, a massive road race with no rules. Sweet JP, called as such because he doesn't use weapons, is a talented racer who is involved with the mafia and race-fixing, however due to the Redline's location being set as the backwards North Korea-like planet of Roboworld and several racers dropping out, he manages to qualify for the Redline.

The animation is fantastic and the story is pretty tight, and it has a fantastic soundtrack. And the english dub is pretty great too:

Seriously enjoyable film, pick it up if you get a chance.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#2 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 17798 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

I thought Redline was this "The Fast And The Furious with exotic cars instead of imports" knockoff starring Eddie Griffin.

Truth be told, I'd rather see the Eddie Griffin movie than this, though.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12164 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

It was a great movie. very awesome animation and designs

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48804 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

My brother showed me this yesterday. The animation and art looks great. I'll be watching it at some point (and I only watch 1 or 2 anime a year these days).

Randy

#5 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 31371 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Coulda swore this was about a 10 year old PC game...

Still, gonna look into this (rather, again as I already asked some questions about this a while ago.)

#6 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Whoah. Shades of "Heavy Metal", or at least that's the vibe I got when I saw all the aliens. I might have to go for this one (it'd be the first non-Ghibli anime I've bought since The Guyver remake ended).

Still, Madhouse has been disappointing me recently. "Paprika" was a massive let-down and I didn't care for it in the slightest. Their Batman anime segments were really, "meh". And those Marvel anime shows... Good Lord.

And didn't "Redline" catastrophically bomb in Japanese theaters or something?

That preview looked really good, though...

#7 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28235 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

It did pretty poorly in Japan, yeah. They didn't dig the gritty style and weirdo alien designs. It's not normal anime styles, the closest to that would be the green-haired girl in the video, everything else just gets weirder from there.

As to the plot, Spengler, it's pretty westernized I thought. The writing and stuff wouldn't feel out of place in a summer blockbuster. And even if you don't like the story it's still very pretty. It's like, one of those good dubs where they manage to dance around the awkward parts and make it flow well, almost enough to sound natural.

Edited by Hora Hora, 25 December 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Dec 25 2011, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It did pretty poorly in Japan, yeah. They didn't dig the gritty style and weirdo alien designs. It's not normal anime styles, the closest to that would be the green-haired girl in the video, everything else just gets weirder from there.

As to the plot, Spengler, it's pretty westernized I thought. The writing and stuff wouldn't feel out of place in a summer blockbuster. And even if you don't like the story it's still very pretty.

Yeah, just watching the trailer, it definately looked like a "written in America, animated in Japan" sort of dealie even if it was all-Japanese.

A shame it bombed in its homeland just because it went with unorthodox character designs and artstyle. The lack of visual and storytelling variety is one of the reasons I watch so little Japanese animation these days.

I think I'll pick it up. The reason I didn't dig "Paprika" was that it was one of those "trying too hard to be cerebral" anime flicks and I didn't care for the squeaky-voiced lead female. This looks to just be straight-up action and eyecandy, which sounds more appealing. As for their Marvel stuff, I disliked it because I can't get past the "move the camera as much as possible so we never have to animate the characters" money-saving direction that Japanese productions use so much (it made a second viewing of The Guyver almost agonizing for me, and I liked that show the first time through). But this is a big budget feature film, so it won't have that problem.

I'll check it out.

#9 Noprobsrobs

Noprobsrobs

STILL THE BEST 1973

• Citizen
  • 2761 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

The perspecives are so forced it's hurtful.

Did the animators drop acid before working?

#10 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28235 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

A shame it bombed in its homeland just because it went with unorthodox character designs and artstyle. The lack of visual and storytelling variety is one of the reasons I watch so little Japanese animation these days.

It's funny how Tiger and Bunny did so well though, considering all the tropes the Japanese audience normally likes.

#11 tec

tec

Its a Gundam!!!

• Citizen
  • 15335 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

This one been on my radar for awile I expected it state side a little sooner then now

Though it just makes me want Cyberfomula GPX stuff even more

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
When the first finger slipped on a keyboard without the tools to erase the mistake, tec was there. When the first pencil hit paper with no eraser to remove error, tec was there. When the first cave painting depicted a buffalo when it meant to show a horse, tec. was. there.
-Phage

#12 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 5081 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

I caught a fansub of this a while ago and I'm eagerly anticipating the official US release so I can buy it on bluray.

I pitched it to a friend as " FLCL and F-Zero have a bastard son with JetSet Radio music". After watching all he had to say was "Why do I feel awesome"

#13 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey, just picked this up on blu ray.

Absolutely freakin' loved it.

This was a better Heavy Metal movie than either Heavy Metal movie. I can't believe this thing bombed in Japan; it was brilliant looking and just so much intense, carefree fun. The English dub was superb. Normally, I'd be annoyed by some of the gratuitous swearing they inserted, but some of it was really funny (particularly the announcer) and, well, I went into this pretending it was a Heavy Metal movie that that suits it just fine.

Madhouse's crazy use of perspective and shadow made this one of the most visually interesting animated films I've ever seen; it really deserves more recognition than as a straight-to-DVD foreign film. I be this thing was an absolute blast in theaters. It was also nice to see Madhouse deviate a bit from their Kawajiri-based house style for much of the character designs. It's not a style I particularly dislike, but variety is the spice of life, guys.

Lynchman and Johnnyboya were my favorite of the competing racers just because they were like if the Noid was a bounty-hunting supervillain and his sidekick was a karate-chopping Beavis.

Just a really, really cool movie.

Edited by DrSpengler, 01 March 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#14 tec

tec

Its a Gundam!!!

• Citizen
  • 15335 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Glad you liked it

Im glad I own the movie myself its just diffrant enough to be fun
The main end credit song Redline Day is awsome

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
When the first finger slipped on a keyboard without the tools to erase the mistake, tec was there. When the first pencil hit paper with no eraser to remove error, tec was there. When the first cave painting depicted a buffalo when it meant to show a horse, tec. was. there.
-Phage

#15 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55510 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Force Chip... Ignition?

#16 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6552 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Saw this a few weeks ago. Distilled, liquid manliness. Wacky Races meets Death Race? Try "Wacky Races meets a big pile of crack."

#17 Teufel

Teufel

Why so serious?

• Supporter
  • 2675 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Is that the Burton Batmobile in the trailer?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into it.

Edited by Teufel, 01 March 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#18 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48804 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yeah I saw this the week of its release, I really enjoyed it simply for the designs, animation, and craziness of it all.

Randy

#19 {Zero}

{Zero}

Brothers until the end

• Citizen
  • 1768 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Watched It last night and really enjoyed it.
It would be damn cool if somone made models of the vehicles, that would be such a big case of "Shut up and take my money!".

#20 Skullgrin140

Skullgrin140

Nope...

• Citizen
  • 2680 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Just picked up Redline and watched it multiple times and I really loved it.

It's amazing to hear that this film took 7 years to make with it being drawn entirely by hand, something that Anime does not do very much of any more sadly due to the current use of digital technology. Watching this movie really did in some way or another feel like a giant throwback to alot of Anime from the 80's & 90's that was viewed as another form of art being taken to the next level, with this in terms of animation and design this film is a masterpiece in more ways than one, yet it tanked at the box office due Anime now only appealing to the lowest common denominator if it features a tentacle, or some form of harem gibberish.

That's kind of sad when people don't know a true work of art when they see it, this really deserves the critical praise and love than what is currently going on right now with Anime.

I AM THE LAW!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users