Photo
- - - - -

There hasn't really ever been a truly good tetrajet toy, has there?

55 replies to this topic

#1 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4818 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

I was reading the Seekers article at the wiki and I came across this classic image:

http://tfwiki.net/wi...jet_seekers.jpg

This got me thinking... has there ever been a really good interpretation of this design in toy form? The main ones that come to mind are the Titanium and the Cybertron mold (which seems to be basically the same thing between Supreme/Voyager/Legends size). I don't have any of these. Are any of them good? Are there any others?

The look of the tetrajet in the G1 cartoon was just so slick.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#2 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13275 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I like the Titanium version aesthetically better than the Cybertron mold. That being said, I don't think a true Tetrajet is really possible without lots of finnicky panel kibble at any rate. Plus, it'd be even more difficult to make a real G1 Tetrajet since they'd still have bot modes with F-15 parts. icon-fire.gif

That being said, we've been surprised before - maybe some third party maker will get there.
PApddmT.jpg

#3 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22394 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

nope there aren't any others... and no there hasn't been another non-cybertron/titanium design

the problem being that according to G1 the tetrajets transform into robots that look like they turn into F15s

so there's obvious toy-design problems.

arg - Dake types faster than me

Edited by Destron D-69, 18 December 2011 - 07:05 PM.

Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#4 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6895 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Types better, too!

Maybe there'll be another one if they do a WfC Starscream for the next game.

Edited by C16, 18 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Citizen
  • 22394 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

and isn't even a jerk about it... guess he's got us both beat C16 icon-arcee.gif

#6 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13275 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(C16 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Types better, too!

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and isn't even a jerk about it... guess he's got us both beat C16 icon-arcee.gif

icon-ironhide.gif

I'd be surprised if we didn't get a FoC jet this go around, but they look more like the old Cybertron toys too really. Personally, I'd sacrifice the G1 bot mode details to get a well-done Tetrajet. I'd be ok if they just got it relatively close in robot mode.
PApddmT.jpg

#7 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4818 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Honestly I was forgetting somewhat that the robot mode was still the F15. But yes I'd settle for a good bot mode (not having to be slavish to the F15 bot mode) and a great tetrajet.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#8 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23565 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Good find, guys. I'm sure C16 is going to go home and rethink his life now.

Hoping for a Fall of Cybertron Starscream toy here. It's a neat enough design that will satisfy any desire I have for Tetrajets, and it's an easy boost for a WFC/FOC display.
"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#9 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 4292 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

It's not really impossible... in fact the Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder toy I have sort of has the basic mental "this is how it would transform" concept, as I see it in my head.

But the Titanium and Cybertron toys wanted to be evocative of the Tetra jets, not actually them, and they're medicore (Ti) to awful (Cybertron).

#10 Defensis Prime

Defensis Prime

Multiversal Singularity-haters = horrible puppykickers

• Citizen
  • 1445 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

I know we'd dearly love transformable versions, I got that. However, I'm pretty satisfied with crazysteve's customs. http://pleasesavemer...modes/jets.html I have Sunstorm and one of the Skywarps, and in my opinion, Esteban is entirely too hard on himself as regards those initial offerings.

(Pretty nice when displayed in an HOC/SCF collection.)
-- L A S E R AUTOBOT LEADER DEFENSIS PRIME : Psychotic Completist®
"...Transformers should have retina-searing colorschemes--your eyes bleed after one glance..."

#11 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 32119 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Dec 18 2011, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(C16 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Types better, too!

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

icon-ironhide.gif

I'd be surprised if we didn't get a FoC jet this go around, but they look more like the old Cybertron toys too really. Personally, I'd sacrifice the G1 bot mode details to get a well-done Tetrajet. I'd be ok if they just got it relatively close in robot mode.

Yeah, I'm really surprised we didn't get it last time, but they can't pass it up for long. Because they made a decision in 1984 that's made a goldmine for them. Repaints of a lot of molds get a "yeah, yeah, boring repaint" response. But if they don't make 2 repaints of a seeker mold, "They're bums, I tell ya. Bums"

#12 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 32119 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

I guess I don't have Cybertron Starscream. I have Shattered Glass Starscream.

Really, I thought the Titanium was good enough. I'm not really nostalgic about Sunbow tetrajets, I guess. That doesn't really sound like me, but there you go. The Titanium ones are really War Within, right?

#13 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2637 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Cybertron mold... it's more evocative of War Within than G1, but I still like it, and really wish there had been official releases in the various seeker colors...

#14 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 2684 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Nebucron @ Dec 18 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Cybertron mold... it's more evocative of War Within than G1, but I still like it, and really wish there had been official releases in the various seeker colors...

I love the Cybertron mold, but would still love to see an actual well done Sunbow tetrajet. I agree that the robot mode doesn't need to look like the F-15 seekers, though, just a decent robot.

#15 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 5555 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

I'd love to get a proper tetrajet. The War Within design is nice in that it doesn't have the silly F-15 details in robot mode, but all of War Within leans a little too far toward technogreeblies and away from the sleekness I liked in the old Sunbow designs. Of the two vaguely tetrajet molds we have, the Titanium is a far more attractive jet while the Cybertron toy is an overall better mold.

#16 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 4292 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

We talking about the same Scouts-have-have-better-arm-joints partially-exposed-head wider-than-he-is-tall Cybertron mold?

#17 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Citizen
  • 22394 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

sounds that way lol

I love Universe Dirge as a Cybertron jet... looks AWESOME ..I'm honest with myself that the mold has its share of problems... but it looks Great, and transforms like a breeze... flip, flip, joint, joint, tabs DONE.

- and on a side note, I hope C16 doesn't change his ways. icon-hotrod.gif I like the guy, keeps me on my toes. I respect that.

#18 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6895 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

I don't know, this thread has really been an eye opener for me. If only other people could take suggestions as easily!

#19 Magick

Magick

Autobot Rainbow Brigade

• Citizen
  • 2561 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Dec 18 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly I was forgetting somewhat that the robot mode was still the F15. But yes I'd settle for a good bot mode (not having to be slavish to the F15 bot mode) and a great tetrajet.

Considering the intent of having a pre-Cybertron mode which would naturally affect the robot mode, it makes perfect sense that if we every get a true tetrajet toy that the robot mode wouldn't be the same as the Earth robot mode. I'd love to see what someone comes up with. They only design elements I would want to keep in the robot mode are the chest canopy and the shoulder wings. Everything else can be whatever it takes to get the tetrajet.

For that matter I'd like to get Jazz, Wheeljack, and Bumblee too. But then, I still foolishly hope to finally get an accurate G1 Skyfire. Seems it's mostly a modified Robotech Valkyrie with a few transformational changes.

Edited by Magick, 19 December 2011 - 12:47 AM.

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

#20 Magick

Magick

Autobot Rainbow Brigade

• Citizen
  • 2561 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Nebucron @ Dec 18 2011, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you. I love the Cybertron seeker mold and wish they'd finally release the voyager mold in the US beyond the TRU exclusive. I hate that I didn't get that box set. We got the Legends size and the Surpeme size. It still amazes me and disappoints me that we never got a retail release of the voyager mold.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users