Photo
- - - - -

TF Prime deluxes up to 16.99 on tru.com...

34 replies to this topic

#1 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4258 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

Just had to boggle a bit at this.

QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#2 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4885 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

FTP!

That's $1.00USD more than I paid for my Arcee on Thursday, and I pay the "stoopid tourist" tax that TRU adds to certain things at the Times Square (and their stores in NYC's 5 boroughs) store.

:-/

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"I married this eleven year old girl for all the wrong reasons!"
KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#3 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9000 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Dear lord, that's nearly half of what us Europeans have to pay for Deluxes these days!

Edited by Nevermore, 18 December 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#4 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Showtime!

• Citizen
  • 21476 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

Nevermore, I can always count on you to make the price bitching I'm going to do seem redundant icon-hotrod.gif

actually My tru's been sale crazy lately... I don't think I've spent $100.00 and have everything
Tammy,',tec,OP,Shenanigans,Jen,Destron and some other guy. Thursdays.
"next week not 12hours long"

#5 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 32768 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Somebody finally told them they were exclusives.

#6 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 46114 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Yeah. I thought they were too expensive at $14, nevermind $17.

Randy

#7 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Someone took their time...

• Citizen
  • 3300 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

TRU is on the ball when it comes to marking up items they get in first. You should see their prices on the new Batman Lego sets...

#8 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2091 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nevermore, I can always count on you to make the price bitching I'm going to do seem redundant icon-hotrod.gif

actually My tru's been sale crazy lately... I don't think I've spent $100.00 and have everything

It's a fair comment though. US fans can moan about prices going up, but the prices they pay are still absolute bargains compared to what the rest of the world pay for Transformers. Count yourself lucky!

For the record, last I was in Tescos, deluxes were ?15, which is $23, so you guys are still better off by miles!

#9 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4258 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

What's the comparative cost of living though? (Not that I know)
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#10 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 4499 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Blueshift @ Dec 18 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Destron D-69 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a fair comment though. US fans can moan about prices going up, but the prices they pay are still absolute bargains compared to what the rest of the world pay for Transformers. Count yourself lucky!

For the record, last I was in Tescos, deluxes were ?15, which is $23, so you guys are still better off by miles!

No, you need to recognize how unlucky you are, instead of pretending you're the baseline that everywhere else should be compared against. Transformers prices in Europe are absurd (I've heard it's actually cheaper to import from Japan, and Japan's prices are already considerably higher than America's.), and do not automatically justify any price anywhere that is less absurd.

And in any case this is a thread about one store's selective price gouging on "exclusives" and things that people want more, not general complaining about prices in general going up.

#11 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6356 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(NovaSaber @ Dec 18 2011, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you need to recognize how unlucky you are, instead of pretending you're the baseline that everywhere else should be compared against.

But... we're the majority. Transformers are more expensive pretty much everywhere in the world outside of North America.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 18 December 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#12 Doofy

Doofy

Anusface

• Citizen
  • 3510 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Am I alone in thinking that the deluxe Prime figures aren't worth those prices? Price gouging aside, there comes a point where the money charged ceases to equate to the figure it purchases.

#13 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23545 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

I wouldn't mind a high price like that every now and then, but if I was planning to pick up the entire First Edition wave at that price, I'd definitely hesitate. I don't think a price bump like $10 going up to $12.99 is insane because you are still getting a pretty good value for a deluxe-sized Transformer at that price, but creeping up toward $20 gets to be a bit much.

And yeah, the USA might be the main market for Hasbro stuff, which gets us lower prices, but our minimum wage and job market here are really bad compared to the cost of living.
"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#14 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8430 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Our minimum wage that just went up?

Anyway, I'm glad I found the first 3 of these before they went up to this new price. Guess I'll wait for HTS to get CJ and also have something else I want to justify the shipping (because I'm certain the the free shipping will go away just a few days before CJ gets listed).

#15 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23545 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(Octavius Prime @ Dec 18 2011, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our minimum wage that just went up?

Cool dismissive tone, bro. It's $7.25 an hour here in Indiana, so you're probably looking at going up to around $7.50 if the other 2012 increases I'm looking at are a good indication. Doesn't really do much of anything to change the issue of cost of living versus wages. If it's not an issue for you personally, good for you. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by Jeremy, 18 December 2011 - 01:04 PM.

"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#16 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6601 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Oh yes, the minimum wage that's going to single-handedly save our economy. It's definitely worth pointing out!

And mentioning that fact that customers outside of the US have always payed a ridiculous amount for toys doesn't make a price increase on our side acceptable.

Edited by C16, 18 December 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#17 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 4499 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Dec 18 2011, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NovaSaber @ Dec 18 2011, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you need to recognize how unlucky you are, instead of pretending you're the baseline that everywhere else should be compared against.

But... we're the majority. Transformers are more expensive pretty much everywhere in the world outside of North America.

I think more are sold in North America than the rest of the world combined, though.
But aside from that, so what? "Majority" and "baseline" don't necessarily have to be the same thing anyway; when it comes to prices, it seems to me that there are two reasonable options:

1. use the MSRP in the relavent market (this means you can't compare prices in different markets at all)
2. use the lowest MSRP in any sizable market (because clearly this price is still profitable; it may not be practical to use that exact price in every market, but prices in many places are clearly higher by a much larger margin than any differences between markets would justify; this means the rest of the world still doesn't have much to do with what prices should be considered reasonable in America)

The US MSRP or Prime Deluxes is, IIRC, $12.99. A store charging 30% more than the MSRP just because something is unofficially exclusive is price gouging, even if the price is still lower in absolute terms than in some other countries.

If you want to complain about how high the prices are in your country, go right ahead; I agree with you that they are, and it's even possible that being more vocal about prices is a (small) factor in why ours are lower. What I object too is the idea that the prices being too high there somehow makes the highest prices here "a bargain".

Edited by NovaSaber, 18 December 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#18 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2392 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Saw a ton of these guys at TRU today in Rockaway, NJ, priced at 13.99. Probably 3 cases worth.
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#19 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4258 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Back when Classics (1.0) was on shelves, TRU was charging ~$13 while all the other stores were charging ~$10. I bought none at TRU. Won't stand for it.
QUOTE(kyde)

#20 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1837 posts
  • Location:Mt. Vernon, VA Home: Long Island, NY Previous: Tampa, FL

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(gargunkle @ Dec 18 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back when Classics (1.0) was on shelves, TRU was charging ~$13 while all the other stores were charging ~$10. I bought none at TRU. Won't stand for it.

Not really an option with this line, unfortunately.
xvpu.jpg
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users