Photo

Kingdoms of Amalur

80 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

Anyone else pumped about this game? Here is the IGN page for it, with some videos and information. Everyone's calling comparing it to Skyrim, which is unavoidable given they share the same genre and setting. But, in my opinion, this game looks way more fun and original than Skyrim, and it's already my most anticipated game of 2012.

#2 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

Here is a good collection of videos for anyone interested

#3 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35341 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I am pumped for it. I'll be picking it up next year after I get through the holiday titles.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#4 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Hoarder of Toys

• Citizen
  • 10943 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Oh, I remember this trailer, saw it like a year ago... I laughed my a** off. Has all the classic "how to make an uber-cool trailer" cliches, and overdoes it by 100%. First, even a 1st level adventurer knows that you DON'T stab a skeleton... they kinda don't have any vital organs at all. Second time I went LOL was when the guy holds the giant two-handed war maul in one hand, by the handle, without flinching... icon-fire.gif

That said, I like RPGs, so I checked what combat will be like...

Combat works based on the timing of button presses, similar to the style of an action RPG, with occasional quicktime events like those in the God of War series

Thanks game, you lost me there. Salvatore and McFarlane in one game or not, this is an action game, not a proper RPG, so I will skip this.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 09 January 2012 - 01:54 PM.

ToC-Funtcuck.jpg

#5 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10946 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm keeping a skeptical eye on it. It's got a lot of hype but for whatever reason feels like something that could very much be all hype in the end. I'll see what the reviews say when it ships.

- ZacWilliam, kinda expects it to bomb but even if it's good I don't know that I need another Skyrim ish game. Skyrim got it perfect IMO, and still has like years of content I havn't touched yet...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#6 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Retired Staff
  • 9101 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

I was surprised to learn that it wasn't an MMO, and then very disappointed to learn that it wasn't going to have co-op.

So right now, I dunno. My enthusiasm, which was sky high initially, has since dimmed considerably.

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 31501 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Rental. Then I'll decide.

#8 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Demo comes out on the 17th

#9 Strafe

Strafe

• Retired Staff
  • 9101 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Kay, having played it, I've done a 180.

I like it. Purchased!

#10 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'm downloading it now. It's taking forever.

#11 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

My suspicions were confirmed. This game is bad ass. I wish so much care and polish were put in to every game.

#12 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 31501 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Okay: hug you microsoft. hug you. I tried to download the demo for my xbox, and the "free" demo is gold exclusive. I need to pay to get free hugging demo's. hug it, done.

#13 Frost181

Frost181

Adorable and also on fire

• Citizen
  • 3926 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

might be a first day availability thing for gold users, not sure quite how that works.

As for the demo, gave it a shot for the mass effect goodies. Was more fableish than I was expecting seems alright though. I didn't get to utilize my full 45 minutes post intro dungeon because the game froze up on me while fighting random woodland creatures. The only other real odd thing I noticed in the beginning was that it was difficult to actually talk to the gnomes, despite the interact prompt their text only appeared for like a split second. I'm going to give this a second run through because I want my damn chakrum launcher ( I'm sure it'll be useless but it's free damn it!) It's by no means a day one purchase for me but it seems a decent enough game. I'll consider it when it hits 20-30$.

#14 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10946 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

Big name Xbox demos are usually Gold exclusive for the first week or so. I would have prefer trying it there too, but I'm downloading it on PS3 since I 'm impatient.

-ZacWilliam, but GAH does Sony's online service BLOW, it takes like 6 hours to download a game. I've never had an Xbox demo take more than 15 minutes, tops.

#15 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10946 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Finally got to play the demo tonight.

It did not thrill me. After Skyrim it felt very, very video gamey. In the worst sense. The combat was good and fast (occassionally almost too fast). The story telling and characters felt fake and unrealistic in a very very "move the video game along" way. The art is Fable meets WoW and that was fine, but on the whole the game, setting, npcs and characters just seemed so much less polished, immersive and involving than Skrim or SW:OR or even the Dragon Age games. Not to be harsh, but storywise it felt very old school fakey video game and less like a real fantasy world you were living.

On top of that this is easily the glitchiest, most unfinished demo I've ever played on a console. Music kept cutting out. Dialogue and voices were unfinished or auto-fast forwarded far faster than I could read, and in several spots the graphics glitched and went full screen psychedelic blurr.

-ZacWilliam, also the faces are pretty ugly, but the other stuff is worse. Demo convinced me this is a pass. Thankfully Skyrim has so much more yet to give. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 19 January 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#16 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9524 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't understand how these things can be issues for you and yet youre totally okay with skyrims flaws? Get over yourself. And I've heard a bunch of complaints and about glitches in the demo but I didn't experience any myself. What did everyone play their demo on?

#17 son of unicron

son of unicron
  • Citizen
  • 15282 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

I tried in on the 360, i thought it was ok. the wife showed some interest... so maybe this will be a purchase at somepoint after it hits the discount bin icon-hotrod.gif

#18 Frost181

Frost181

Adorable and also on fire

• Citizen
  • 3926 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

I played it on the 360. twice it froze in the same area fighting red legion bandits after passing through gorharth or whatever the town was called the third time I just waited the 45 minutes out in town so I could finish the demo and get my ME3 weapon. The bugs I experienced were not being able to speak to several NPCs and the aforementioned console freezes, (didn't encounter any of the weird running through the sky glitches that have appeared on youtube) My understanding is that the demo is a cut down build of the game from several months ago and that most of the issues have been taken care of in the mean time. As I said It's not going to be a day one purchase for me but I'd consider picking the game up down the line when the price drops.

#19 Strafe

Strafe

• Retired Staff
  • 9101 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Jan 20 2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand how these things can be issues for you and yet youre totally okay with skyrims flaws? Get over yourself. And I've heard a bunch of complaints and about glitches in the demo but I didn't experience any myself. What did everyone play their demo on?

Xbox here, the only issue I had were the occasional texture glitches that would pop up when I would use a charge attack with my daggers.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 31501 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Xbox finally dropped it to the "free" users and I got to play it tonight. The only real graphical glitch I saw was that people were talking but sometimes the lips didn't move. Anyway...

Alright, so I liked it. The fighting was fluid, the control were intuitive enough that you could mix and match well. There was a good level of customization to the equipment (No stupid jive like class or type restrictions.) and the leveling seemed incredibly complete and detailed. Even the graphics and world was crafted in a way that I appreciated it, and the story (what I was presented.) felt good, reasonably fleshed out. All in all, I liked it, liked it enough that I would buy it.

That said: I am NOT buying it. It seems to require a constant connection to EA servers to play, which means the game has an incredibly limited life span, even moreso if it sells poorly. Unless the full version doesn't require server validation to play, I won't buy it. We're gonna have to sacrifise on decent content to teach corporations that we will not be jerked around by stupid DRM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users