Poor Opalescence icon-fire.gif

#43 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22835 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Someone said that if this was after the Gala no one learned their lesson; I think they did since Celestia took them all aside afterward and told them "The whole reason I invited you was to liven up the atmosphere", So their mayhem at Canterlot parties is God-Princess approved. And it seems that Fancy Pants, sees that same quality as needed. Though I was waiting for Rarity to mention Twilight as Celestia's apprentice, since she built up RD anyway. That would have been fun to see "You know that plain clothed, dorky dancing purple pony? That's the Princess' star student!" then watch the chaos.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#44 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46287 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Isn't Rainbow Dash the only Pony in history to perform a Sonic Rainboom (2x!)? You can't tell me that's not notable. As said, Twilight is Celestia's star pupil. Fluttershy was an incredibly popular model. Rarity herself is a rather important designer, she did tour outfits for Sapphire Shores at the very least.

Applejack and Pinkie are the only Ponies who haven't done anything (that we know of) of "import to larger Equestrian Society.

Edited by MrBlud, 03 December 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#45 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4807 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Dec 3 2011, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Applejack and Pinkie are the only Ponies who haven't done anything (that we know of) of "import to larger Equestrian Society.

Other than being decorated heroes of the realm, you mean? icon-fire.gif

Breaking this out from the transcript so the word can be spread far and wide...which is what we keep Kein around for, I suppose.

[Nayuki] 8:32 am: pony names from this episode: Jet Set, Upper Crust, Hayseed Turnip Truck, Fancypants, Rapidfire, Fleetfoot.
[Nayuki] 8:37 am: Rapidfire isn't specified, Fleetfoot is the white maned mare

Edited by Scavgraphics, 03 December 2011 - 04:31 PM.

#46 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9389 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ Dec 3 2011, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoofkissing.. damn, you have no idea how fast this fandom will catch it because apparently now "CONFRIMED FOR CANON!!11".
Sigh, another fuel for Molestia fanart >_>

If you don't like something, the best course of action is to just ignore it. This is what most adults do, and it's certainly what I do in the case of both aforementioned things. You'd be amazed how much less stress that is than complaining.

However, ignoring it is made more difficult when it appears even here, one of the few refuges for family-friendly ponydom left on the Internet. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it and how something in the show may supposedly encourage such things. What you've forgotten about the people who like this stuff is that they need absolutely no encouragement.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 03 December 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#47 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46287 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Other than being decorated heroes of the realm, you mean? icon-fire.gif

True but when you have Equestria's top ace, a supermodel, fashion designer, and next in line to the throne (probably)...those tend to overshadow the bumpkin and the party planner. icon-fire.gif

#48 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Dec 3 2011, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't Rainbow Dash the only Pony in history to perform a Sonic Rainboom (2x!)? You can't tell me that's not notable. As said, Twilight is Celestia's star pupil. Fluttershy was an incredibly popular model. Rarity herself is a rather important designer, she did tour outfits for Sapphire Shores at the very least.

In fairness, re: Rarity. Who knows who makes the dresses of popstars? Not many~

Fluttershy's model career was also rather short, probably just a few weeks, and I imagine it's a quick-lived business. Some people should remember her, but natural- rather than done-up Fluttershy is probably less easily recognised.

Rainbow Dash's rainbooms... One was effectively anonymous outside of Cloudsdale (Twilight didn't know who did it until near #2, either, after all), and the other one was still effectively restricted to cloudsdale - it probably made it on the sports page of the newspapers, but it's not something I'd necessarily expect the Canterlot bourgeoisie to be familiar with.

Twilight being a star pupil shouldn't be particularly notable - she's still only a pupil, why should upper-tier adults know about her?

What should be remembered is the whole 'Saved Equestria from Disqord, were publicly celebrated by the Princess by way of a huge reception in the castle, and it sure as hell must've made the news' gig.

But that's really the only aspect where continuity was a bit broken, and probably fairly so, considering that the show's focus is not the whole adventuring and heroing gig.

(This being said, an adventure episode to liven things up would be pretty nice... By this time last season we'd already had Dragonshy, and (Arguably... Lets say, pseudo-adventure) Bridge Gossip & Boast Busters. And Swarm of the Century was coming up. I love slice of life, but some variety would be appreciated)
QUOTE(Nayuki @ Dec 3 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Applejack had possibly my favorite line in the episode:

"Why aren't any of y'all doing any gardening? This IS a garden party isn't it?"
Language barrier. I always have difficulty understanding her icon-screamer.gif

Edited by Rezo, 03 December 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#49 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9389 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

lol,

#50 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Dec 3 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol...I wonder how Derpy snuck into high-class society wearing a paper bag for a hat? icon-fire.gif

It's avant-garde. You wouldn't understand. icon-fire.gif

#51 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I just noticed: During the scene when Rarity soaks Opal in the bathroom, the background music is a variation on the Bol?ro by Ravel.

#52 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Obtuse, view-from-nowhere contrarian attention-seeker

• Supporter
  • 17535 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hey, wow. I'd never heard of that piece, let alone heard the piece itself, but that's nuttily fitting.

What I love in that moment is the genuineness of Rarity's discomfort with this thing that she's resolved she has to do. Like a tiny piece of her is about to die, but she's not questioning that it beats the alternative (of letting her friends know she'd flaked out on them.) In a lesser cartoon, I'd be feeling sympathy for the cat. = )

Edited by Copper Bezel, 03 December 2011 - 07:01 PM.

I went to the local Dollar Tree to pick up a few things today and noted that their entire shelf of hand sanitizer was empty. I spoke with the cashier about it, and she told me that someone from one of the schools had come in earlier that morning and cleaned them out.

Anyone else seeing runs on things like hand sanitizer in your area?

Iced tea? Uh...I dunno how long it takes. But it's a lot longer than 4 minutes.

#53 RC85747

RC85747
  • Citizen
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Rarity certainly learned her lesson well after going to that garden party, eh? In fact you could say things are all right now for her.

#54 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1838 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

In regards to the main six's alleged fame, it's clearly something the writers are ignoring on purpose because of how much more it would come up, realistically, and how much it would change the whole dynamic of the show. Being world famous isn't really the sort of thing you can do and still live a normal life ? and unlike the creators of a certain other popular girls' show that tried to build its entire premise around that, this show's writers realize that it isn't the sort of thing their audience can relate to, either.
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#55 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 2729 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

It's not like heroes aren't forgotten all the time in the real world anyway.

#56 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Copper Bezel @ Dec 3 2011, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, wow. I'd never heard of that piece, let alone heard the piece itself, but that's nuttily fitting.

What I love in that moment is the genuineness of Rarity's discomfort with this thing that she's resolved she has to do. Like a tiny piece of her is about to die, but she's not questioning that it beats the alternative (of letting her friends know she'd flaked out on them.) In a lesser cartoon, I'd be feeling sympathy for the cat. = )
The episode did a really great job in showing why Rarity did these things, and thus succeeded in portraying her as a person to sympathise with despite all her shortcomings, not as a villain. She's in a social environment she desperately wants to be a part of, yet is completely unfamiliar with it. The immediate and instant reaction she experiences when her Ponyville origin is mentioned just further reinforces the notion that she has to hide this if she wants to succeed.

And even after this experience, her 'Deterioration' occured in small steps - 'Oh, I'll finish Twilight's dress a little later... And of course I'll still be at her party', and she was visibly uncomfortable with dropping this. Yet, her dream took precedence. But not just because it was her dream, but because she was in the aforementioned social environment, fascinating, yet utterly alien to her. She was nervous, desperate not to make mistakes, and she lacked the emotional anchor of her friends being around. Without anything to hold on to - and specifically because of this -, she eventually resorted to dropping Twilight & co in favour of Canterlot, and to lying to her friends and abusing Opalescence (In fairness, Opalescence tends to be pretty abusive herself <_<) to cover up.

Once her friends were back in the picture and provided her with a less lopsided view on the whole situation simply by virtue of being around and reminding her of their existence, this changed.

Long story short, I loved the writing of the episode, and the depiction of Rarity's remarkably complex character - for all her high & classy approach to everything, it's not natural to her, and thrown into the environment she adores from afar, her insecurities about her origin and her nervosity about virtually everything in this world she knows almost exclusively from media coverage rather than actual experience get the better of her.

Remarkably, this is also quite entirely consistent with her depiction from episode one on, where we already see essentially these same things, if, naturally, rather less pronounced.

Edit: Also, it is, in hindsight, fantastic how they managed to make the episode actually mildly distressing to watch in parts, because you fully expect that the character you sympathise with is digging her own hole, and oh no, she's going to be horribly humiliated... But then she isn't, and the viewer is relieved, delighted (And mildly surprised, although in hindsight, it was the obvious solution, considering that openly humiliating her would kind of ruin the point - she can learn herself, she doesn't need to be broken for it, and besides, 'We need to completely humiliate her for her errors before letting her back into the club' is kind of a poor lesson... Also, why portray a character sympathetically when you're just going to humiliate her in the end. Although the latter happens often enough...). I needed the immediate second viewing because the first one was emotionally... Difficult :< Admittedly, that's an issue I experience every now and then, not just with Rarity/ MLP... But still.

Edited by Rezo, 03 December 2011 - 08:46 PM.

#57 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Just, go away.

• Citizen
  • 22835 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Rezo @ Dec 3 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The episode did a really great job in showing why Rarity did these things, and thus succeeded in portraying her as a person to sympathise with despite all her shortcomings, not as a villain. She's in a social environment she desperately wants to be a part of, yet is completely unfamiliar with it. The immediate and instant reaction she experiences when her Ponyville origin is mentioned just further reinforces the notion that she has to hide this if she wants to succeed.

And even after this experience, her 'Deterioration' occured in small steps - 'Oh, I'll finish Twilight's dress a little later... And of course I'll still be at her party', and she was visibly uncomfortable with dropping this. Yet, her dream took precedence. But not just because it was her dream, but because she was in the aforementioned social environment, fascinating, yet utterly alien to her. She was nervous, desperate not to make mistakes, and she lacked the emotional anchor of her friends being around. Without anything to hold on to - and specifically because of this -, she eventually resorted to dropping Twilight & co in favour of Canterlot, and to lying to her friends and abusing Opalescence (In fairness, Opalescence tends to be pretty abusive herself <_<) to cover up.

Once her friends were back in the picture and provided her with a less lopsided view on the whole situation simply by virtue of being around and reminding her of their existence, this changed.

Long story short, I loved the writing of the episode, and the depiction of Rarity's remarkably complex character - for all her high & classy approach to everything, it's not natural to her, and thrown into the environment she adores from afar, her insecurities about her origin and her nervosity about virtually everything in this world she knows almost exclusively from media coverage rather than actual experience get the better of her.

Remarkably, this is also quite entirely consistent with her depiction from episode one on, where we already see essentially these same things, if, naturally, rather less pronounced.

Edit: Also, it is, in hindsight, fantastic how they managed to make the episode actually mildly distressing to watch in parts, because you fully expect that the character you sympathise with is digging her own hole, and oh no, she's going to be horribly humiliated... But then she isn't, and the viewer is relieved, delighted (And mildly surprised, although in hindsight, it was the obvious solution, considering that openly humiliating her would kind of ruin the point - she can learn herself, she doesn't need to be broken for it, and why portray a character sympathetically when you're just going to humiliate her in the end... Although the latter happens often enough). I needed the immediate second viewing because the first one was emotionally... Difficult :< Admittedly, that's an issue I experience every now and then, not just with Rarity/ MLP... But still.

Its why Rarity is my favorite of them; she seems to be the most well rounded of the group, and the most consistent in her characterization. She's haughty and a vain, but she really is generous and caring ans she's always trying to achieve her dreams, but not at the expense of others like most females of her character type would do.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#58 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(Rezo @ Dec 3 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more with you two. Very well said.

But I did feel bad for Opal; I?ve had to bath persian cats before, and they hate it. Opal?s reaction was surprisingly calm in comparison.

#59 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

getting ready for Nightmare night

• Citizen
  • 22375 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

oh my god is that squeaky voice pimple face from the simpsons less then a minute into the show carrying Rarity's things

icon-fire.gif this is why I love this show.
Apparently Not happening tonight ... nobody tells me nothin'
I mean seriously how am I supposed to keep these ads updated and on topic...?

#60 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4807 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(WorkbenchManiac @ Dec 3 2011, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just noticed: During the scene when Rarity soaks Opal in the bathroom, the background music is a variation on the Bol?ro by Ravel.

Doh! That's what I meant when I mentioned Scheherazade in the chat.

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Dec 3 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol...I wonder how Derpy snuck into high-class society wearing a paper bag for a hat? icon-fire.gif

Doctor Whooves was at the party...clearly this was one of of those high class parties that he and his companion crash while investigating something.

QUOTE(Rezo)
The episode did a really great job in showing why Rarity did these things,

To add to your commentary, it also played on her Element. The first three, the Art Opening, the Auction, and the party..."Please come so people will see my art" "Please come, it's for charity!" "Please come, so my party is a success" All three aren't "Come so you can be seen" it's "Please help me". Rarity stories are often a balance between her selfishness and her generosity, and this tread the line very well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users