Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dracula : (28 September 2016 - 02:10 PM)

You're clicking on threads and they're redirecting to that?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 September 2016 - 01:05 PM)

Why do forum pages keep forwarding me to this? http://www.allsparkt...2VjMDYxZTQxYmVl

@  Broadside : (28 September 2016 - 12:05 PM)

Anyone know what the caption on this page refers to? http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Primon

@  RichardT1977 : (28 September 2016 - 09:53 AM)

After the season finale where RM Corp found a way to make thinking Bots, I was hoping for a continuation of the story where Paradim learned the hard way the downside of Bots that can say, "No."

@  Rycochet : (28 September 2016 - 09:40 AM)

I liked Phantom 2040 more.

@  Blues : (27 September 2016 - 05:08 PM)

I LOVE BOT MASTER SO MUCH. Too bad the toys sucked. I even own jungle fiver. I love him so much, but he can barely stand on his own.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 September 2016 - 05:03 PM)

That's the 90s.

@  MEDdMI : (27 September 2016 - 04:50 PM)

Ninjzz? That's an unfortunate name.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 04:44 PM)

Also I thought Fico Ossio was quite nice on Revolutions.

@  Rycochet : (27 September 2016 - 04:36 PM)

You know the planet is in a jam, a diabolical plan of only one man. Louis Leon Paradim an international punk, and his army of 3As are his piece of junk.

@  Telly : (27 September 2016 - 04:26 PM)

for the longest time i thought jungle fiver was called jungle fiBer

@  Bass X0 : (27 September 2016 - 04:21 PM)

Does anybody remember the cartoon Bots Master? I enjoyed the show but looking back on it, most of the robot designs were lame. The only cool designs were Jungle Fiver and Ninjzz although the toys were nothing compared to Transformers of course. I thought the main human characters were decent enough for a show about robots. 

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 02:43 PM)

Although this is odd to me, since I'm fairly sure they are/were good friends.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 02:42 PM)

Yeah I stopped liking the guy when I found his Twitter.

@  zephyrX9 : (27 September 2016 - 12:35 PM)

https://twitter.com/DerrickJWyatt/status/779870732935233536 link

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2016 - 09:16 AM)

I cut out the middleman and assume that they're all jerks and/or shills.

@  Rycochet : (27 September 2016 - 07:15 AM)

Social media is the worst thing to happen to fandom, you can now see people whose work you like being jerks or shills on a daily basis, which is worse than a bad interview or two.

@  Robowang : (27 September 2016 - 07:12 AM)

Dirty Jerk Warts?

@  Broadside : (27 September 2016 - 07:05 AM)

Also, I guess he hates IDW Soundwave for not being an emotionless brick like the cartoon version? Man. Any enjoyment of Animated in future is going to be tainted for me by the fact that DJW is the worst kind of boring Geewunner.

@  Broadside : (27 September 2016 - 07:04 AM)

He also hates Action Man for no apparent reason other than "I don't know who this is and I don't care to find out". Which isn't fair, because Ian is the best character in IDW.

@  Jalaguy : (27 September 2016 - 06:47 AM)

DJW was mouthing off about the art for Revolution the other day too, doesn't entirely surprise.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 05:11 AM)

Do you have a link, zephyr?

@  Cabooceratops : (27 September 2016 - 01:36 AM)

bweh!!

@  Cabooceratops : (27 September 2016 - 01:36 AM)

bweh bweh

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 10:11 PM)

Sipher's.

@  Telly : (26 September 2016 - 10:08 PM)

*has flashbacks of the "image wars"*

@  Touch My Thighs : (26 September 2016 - 09:30 PM)

Sakamoto or Sipher's art?

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 September 2016 - 08:17 PM)

Oof.

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 08:05 PM)

Sipher made a sarcastic remark about Sakamoto's skeeviness. Derrick called him an a**hole, and insulted his art, which was a low, unnecessary blow.

@  Touch My Thighs : (26 September 2016 - 07:43 PM)

What did Derrick do?

@  Pennpenn : (26 September 2016 - 07:42 PM)

That makes sense, thank you.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 September 2016 - 07:30 PM)

Derrick J. Wyatt?

@  Pennpenn : (26 September 2016 - 07:21 PM)

Djw?

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 05:45 PM)

wow, didn't expect to have to block djw on twitter

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 September 2016 - 02:48 PM)

Yeah, it was really sad that they didn't survive in any of the endings. Eaten by Unicron every time.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2016 - 12:17 PM)

I wish I could have seen Kick Axe live.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 September 2016 - 10:14 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk WWE Raw is on tonight. By the third hour, it'll probably feel the same, minus the actual physical trauma.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2016 - 09:51 AM)

I think I'd rather punch myself in the nuts.

@  Dracula : (26 September 2016 - 09:34 AM)

I think I'll watch Godzilla versus Gigan instead

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 September 2016 - 09:32 AM)

Hillary versus Trump tonight. Oh boy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2016 - 06:53 AM)

I think I'm just too used to metal to not understand the lyrics.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 September 2016 - 06:02 AM)

it's a vile interruption, chess the scripture way

@  Pennpenn : (26 September 2016 - 03:49 AM)

I've had versions where the issue doesn't come up (or at least doesn't come up in the part I notice the most), but the version that got remastered for Bluray and DVD releases have it.

@  Nevermore : (26 September 2016 - 02:05 AM)

I initially misheard "flying tools of torment" as "we're flyin' into some torment".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2016 - 01:08 AM)

If it's a problem with all released versions, maybe the original audio source was itself damaged?

@  Pennpenn : (25 September 2016 - 09:30 PM)

I wish they'd relase a remastered version that fixed the audio and included at least had an option to have the text crawl rather than the credits at the start.

@  Telly : (25 September 2016 - 09:27 PM)

tryin to buy the movie from amazon for $20-ish. the price of it has been fluctuating like crazy. not a day has gone by that it hasnt dropped to one price and then gone back up a few hours later. never seen a price fluctuate so much

@  Pennpenn : (25 September 2016 - 07:57 PM)

Then again, a lot of versions of the movie had pretty bad sound quality, even the most recent blu-rays mess it up in places, so it's not as much our fault if we misheard stuff.

@  Arazyr : (25 September 2016 - 07:28 PM)

When I first heard it, half of it may as well have been in a foreign language, for all I could make out. (Of course, I can say that about most music...)

@  Pennpenn : (25 September 2016 - 07:14 PM)

I can't remember entirely, and I can't "hear" anything but the actual lyrics now, but I remember "I am born to hurt you, I'll break the boundless sky" as how my brain parsed the first words.

Photo
- - - - -

Classic G.I. Joe volume 14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 14319 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Many people forget how out there G.I.Joe really is. Giant robots aren't too out of place at all.

#22 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 35532 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Look, all they want are their 13 identical guys in green pajamas.

#23 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1355 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Agent X @ Nov 19 2011, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too bad TF G2 #2 won't be included to finish up the story. Of course IDW hasn't included stories from the Yearbooks/Annuals that continued from the series (yes there will be a Yearbook TPB, but its not the same!) and has even left out complete pages.

Maybe it will be in the new and improved Transformers reprints.

#24 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 14456 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Nov 19 2011, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many people forget how out there G.I.Joe really is. Giant robots aren't too out of place at all.

Yup. This is one of the things that never fail to amuse (and sometimes annoy) me when I interact with Joe fandom. A lot of fans (even ones who also like TFs) like to draw a line (usually right before/after Serpentor) and claim that anything past that point is "too far". Thing is though... GI Joe has been military sci-fi from the start, with a good solid emphasis on the sci-fi aspect. From day one they were sporting a laser trooper, among other things.

Then again, a lot of TF fans like to draw lines before/after TFTM or Season 3, so we have our own version of that...

I don't care much for TF/Joe interaction myself, but that's from a storytelling aspect--Joes are supposed to be the superheroes of the armed forces, but they're superheroes in a world where giant robots are one-off Cobra plots. Humans of any stripe vs. Decepticons doesn't often work for me because at some point they need super-vehicles and/or Autobot assistance, and then it's just Autobots vs. Decepticons again (or may as well be). I feel it diminishes GI Joe by throwing the threat level completely out of whack and pitting them against foes they can't fight without equally-powerful help.

It's like Robin fighting Bizarro, but then Robin calls in Superman... why is Robin there again? What did he really bring to this party?

Edited by Lukeblast, 19 November 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#25 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5067 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 17 2011, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ramhorn sacrifices himself instead of Max, the logic being that Max, when brought up to full, will be a far, far better fighter. Blaster, Dogfight, Fort Max, Buster, and Dr. Biggles-Jones all make it off via Max's flight mode.

QUOTE(LBD @ Nov 18 2011, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fortress Ironhold: You're assuming Fort Max could even fly at that point.

Yeah, Fort Max never had a flight mode in the comics. Or if he did, he certainly never used it.

Personally I think the best Joe/TF crossovers were the ones done by Devil"s Due, mostly because they were written more from the Joe point of view. They never really had the Joes go one-on-one with the Decepticons.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#26 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19055 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Chris McFeely @ Nov 19 2011, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Agent X @ Nov 19 2011, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too bad TF G2 #2 won't be included to finish up the story.

It's my understanding that the Joe fandom in general - that is to say, the portion that doesn't cross over with TF fandom, and even some of them as well - will not give one single toss about this, and would rather forget this story occurred at all.

It wasn't just the fandom.

The 1st crossover was completely ignored in the Joeverse until Override name-dropped it during the second one, and the second one was only relevant in the sense that it tied up a dangling plot thread; otherwise, it too was ignored.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#27 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 16580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Nov 19 2011, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Fort Max never had a flight mode in the comics. Or if he did, he certainly never used it.

While this is true as well, I was thinking more in the matter of Fort Max's severely-damaged state.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#28 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14048 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 19 2011, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like Robin fighting Bizarro, but then Robin calls in Superman... why is Robin there again? What did he really bring to this party?

Just wanted to point out that Robin beat Mongol (Easily Bizarro level or higher) in one of the great Alan Moore Superman stories. That's why they're super heroes, because they can win when that outclassed. Same goes for the Joes.

What it all REALLY comes down to is the quality of the writing. Good writing can sell you Spiderman beating Juggernaut and in fact make a great story out of it. Tunnel Rat vs. Skywarp is the makings of a great Joe TF story, if told well.

-ZacWilliam, there's a reason so many folks love the Ratchet vs. Megatron parts of The Comics. Joe vs TFs is the same sort of potentially great underdog story...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 20 November 2011 - 07:59 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#29 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19055 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Nov 20 2011, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-ZacWilliam, there's a reason so many folks love the Ratchet vs. Megatron parts of The Comics. Joe vs TFs is the same sort of potentially great underdog story...

Actually, IRL an American soldier could hypothetically take any given Cybertronian in a 1 - 1 battle provided that the soldier has half a second to prepare first.

Remember the final battle in the first movie? How Lennox took out a Con with nothing more than a grenade launcher and a commandeered street bike?

Stuff like that.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#30 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 14456 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Lennox was "painting" Blackout for the missiles that actually did the killing.

And that's pretty much the point I'm making. A single human--or even a squad of humans--does not take on a Cybertronian alone. It's all about weaponry and vehicles, but the vehicles and weapons the humans require to fight the robots can BE the robots, so why are there humans doing the fighting at all? This is why we generally get "companions" like Spike, the Armada kids, Sari, the Prime kids, etc... while combatants like the Neo-Knights are an exception. The very involvement of the Transformers in the story creates a massive power disparity that can only be solved by keeping those squishy humans out of the fights, somehow putting humans on equal footing (which often means just joining forces with the other side of Transformers), or (in rare cases) diminishing the Transformers themselves.

Additionally, a crossover gives both sides of both properties. When GI Joe teams up with Autobots to fight Decepticons and Cobra... we have transforming vehicles capable of taking on either side of humans that can only fight them with vehicles and weapons, so... why does it need to be Joe? What do they bring that's so special? The giant alien robots that are fully capable of fighting each other, so the worlds most elite fighting force/feared terrorist organization is overshadowed in their own crossover.

In cases where the humans HAVE to fight the Transformers because that's the whole story, the writer is saddled with a pretty terrible baseline dynamic. Yes, good writing will find ways to work with it and around it (and has!). It's not in any way impossible to tell a good story, but it's still a bad setup.

Edited by Lukeblast, 21 November 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#31 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1484 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 19 2011, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Nov 19 2011, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. This is one of the things that never fail to amuse (and sometimes annoy) me when I interact with Joe fandom. A lot of fans (even ones who also like TFs) like to draw a line (usually right before/after Serpentor) and claim that anything past that point is "too far". Thing is though... GI Joe has been military sci-fi from the start, with a good solid emphasis on the sci-fi aspect. From day one they were sporting a laser trooper, among other things.

Then again, a lot of TF fans like to draw lines before/after TFTM or Season 3, so we have our own version of that...

TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Nov 19 2011, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 17 2011, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ramhorn sacrifices himself instead of Max, the logic being that Max, when brought up to full, will be a far, far better fighter. Blaster, Dogfight, Fort Max, Buster, and Dr. Biggles-Jones all make it off via Max's flight mode.

Personally I think the best Joe/TF crossovers were the ones done by Devil"s Due, mostly because they were written more from the Joe point of view. They never really had the Joes go one-on-one with the Decepticons.

Well, Fortress Maximus did somehow drop from Earth orbit to the ground below at Spike's call in #51. Looked like he just walked out the airlock and let gravity do its thing.

Maybe he couldn't fly, but he could fall with the best of them.

#32 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 7420 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 20 2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, IRL an American soldier could hypothetically take any given Cybertronian in a 1 - 1 battle provided that the soldier has half a second to prepare first.

You kind of open yourself to many absurdities by claiming an American soldier can take down any Transformer. They were effective in the movies because Bay has a boner for the military the Transformers in that universe were weak enough. It isn't the case in many G1 universes where the military couldn't even scratch the Decepticons, much less powerhouses like Galvatron.

Edited by Moon Captain, 21 November 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#33 kinjacono

kinjacono
  • Supporter
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'm with Lukeblast in that I don't think they should occupy the same "universe" at all. It's true that such a cross-over can work when well-written but for me this is best kept to alternate universe stories where the implications can play out logically.

Neither of the G1 cross-overs were particularly great stories (I vastly prefer the UK origin for Goldbug), though I will give the Action Force one a pass for Geoff Senior's art. I hope it makes it into the UK classics reprints.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kinjacono
B*S*T: Kinjacono's Buy*Sell*Trade <<<<<<< new auctions on eBay 13/02/2012

#34 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2458 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 21 2011, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Cybertronian weapons, sure.
With present day weapons, NO FREAKING WAY.

G.I. Joes could put up a fight as they use advanced weaponry.

Edited by D.M, 21 November 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#35 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 37411 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(D.M @ Nov 21 2011, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 21 2011, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Cybertronian weapons, sure.
With present day weapons, NO FREAKING WAY.

G.I. Joes could put up a fight as they use advanced weaponry.

Indeed. A single arrow from Scarlett's cross bow blew up a tank. A TANK.

And we all know that Snake Eye's sword can cut through anything he swings it at. Without ever needing to be sharpened.

#36 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You HAVE to let me put this in my sig
QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#37 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1484 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

So granted.