This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7889 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

The other topic seems to have disappeared. icon-screamer.gif

Anyway, I just saw this weeks episode "Sight Beyond Sight."

The Good:

It seems to have remembered the over-arching quest of finding the stones.

All the Thundercats are still getting time in the spot light like last week.

Wiley Kit saves the day with her flute...who have thunk it.

Lion-O learn more powers of the Sword of Omens

The Bad:

"Whiskers" is back. I was hoping we'd gotten rid of it from last week.

The whole short memory of the elephants was an overly long joke. It got old really fast.

New screen name, new avatar, new title, new sig...I just don't know who I am anymore!

#2 Evil Zoe

Evil Zoe

Oh, for God's sake, just die!!!

• Citizen
  • 12273 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

The Thundercats want to know who you callin' a ho?

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫ Thinking is the best way to travel ♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

#3 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

The son of a chipwich

• Citizen
  • 14515 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I still find the Thunderkittens high on Candyfruit from last week's episode to be one of the funniest things ever.
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#4 spikeriley

spikeriley

Hermie Has Snapped!

• Citizen
  • 2565 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Lion-O gets rid of those bugs, and he endangers the elephants by removing the only thing keeping away a destructive Rock Biter rip-off with a tree on its head.

I think Tygra would be better as Lord of the Thundercats if this keeps up.

As for Wiley Kit saving the day with her flute, I think she gave Link a run for his rupees.

Edited by spikeriley, 05 November 2011 - 06:19 PM.

Hermie says that every Christmas light before Thanksgiving makes him kill a baby reindeer.  Please, think of the baby reindeer and have a safe and Happy Holidays.

#5 Don_East

Don_East

Feeling Spectacular

• Citizen
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

This week's episode was pretty good. At first I was afraid it was gonna be another "Lion-O heads off somewhere & the other 'Cats get little screentime" story after reading the description but in the end I was surprised by the results. To my surprise, WilyKit got some major focus & saved the day which is cool since the Thunderkittens are cool. The elephants were a bit annoying with the "we're elephants and we don't remember stuff that well, get it" routine.

#6 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

This show is so bi-polar. This episode was horrible. The elephants were so hugging obnoxious.

#7 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7889 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

I don't think that it's been horrible. Though I will admit I am kinda split on whether I like the past two episodes or not.

Like I listed as one of my pro's, I like how all the Thundercats have been featured. Pre-hiatus, it was beginning to be all about Lion-O. While I like Lion-O and all, I'm just glad the rest of the team has been getting a chance to shine...especially Cheetara and the kittens. That more than anything has had me cheering on the past two episodes.

One thing I will say though, the past two episodes have tended to go more to the silly side than the episodes before the hiatus. I don't think anyone is ever going to take Berbils seriously. No matter how much better they may be than the old versions, they're still berbils.

And don't even get me started on the elephants. The forgetfulness got old really quickly. And the whole pacifist aesop in an action oriented cartoon just grated on my nerves.?

But one last note, even the worst episodes so far is better than some of the cringe-inducing sillyness from the old series. Don't get me wrong. I'm a child of the 80's. I love the old series. If I didn't, I wouldn't be watching the new series. It had some very strong episodes that I'll always love.

But it also had some downright stupid things, not the least of which was constantly giving the Sword of Omens new powers, to the point of being an every episode deus ex machina. It was at the point were no matter what kind of insurmountable danger the cats were in, you knew all Lion-O had to do was call on the SoO and everything would be straightened out at the last second.

At it's best, the old series can easily go toe-to-toe with the best this new series has. But at its worst, the new series has yet to do anything as cringe-worthy as the worst of the old series.
New screen name, new avatar, new title, new sig...I just don't know who I am anymore!

#8 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4262 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(spikeriley @ Nov 5 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lion-O gets rid of those bugs, and he endangers the elephants by removing the only thing keeping away a destructive Rock Biter rip-off with a tree on its head.

I think Tygra would be better as Lord of the Thundercats if this keeps up.

To be honest, The Thundercats as a whole don't seem too bright.
That whole racing thing at the beginning of the episode was a bit of a face-palm moment.
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#9 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6553 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

I think the bloom's going off the rose a bit with ThunderCats following the super-excitement of its return and the great premiere. It's really struggling to balance characterization and stand-alone episodes with the overloaded and fast-moving arced plot, already feeling like it's blasted through a season's worth of mythology at the expense of letting any characters other than Lion-O truly having a single episode's plot to themselves. I respect it for doing it's own thing and not being a nostalgia-fuelled love-letter to the old show (coughMOTU2002cough), but taken on its own merits it has given me VERY little reason to care about any of the cast aside from knowing them from the 80s, even though they owe basically nothing to those versions of the characters.

Sure does look pretty, though.

#10 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1843 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sight beyod sight started out great and turned into an average episode with the discovery of the temple. Music bit felt like watching a cartoon specifically aimed at preschoolers rather than a cartoon aimed at all ages.

I give it C-. Minus mainly because of that !@%#^ "Whiskers" line.

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Nov 7 2011, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At it's best, the old series can easily go toe-to-toe with the best this new series has. But at its worst, the new series has yet to do anything as cringe-worthy as the worst of the old series.

Oh, God, I hope they don't manage to outworse the circus bounty hunter crap. icon-wildride.gif

Edited by D.M, 07 November 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#11 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

Weird. I actually liked the elephants quite a bit. The younger one was voiced by the king lemur guy from Madagascar, right?

I remember mentioning after the last episode that I kinda wished they hadn't discarded the "Berbils serving Trolligs serving Giantorrs" balance thing from the original version, but I see they were just saving that concept for this one (albeit as "Elephants serving Wraiths serving Rock Giant").

Wily-Kit saving the day was a welcomed change of pace, but I think the problem is that the characters never seem to stop to acknowledge anything that happens to them. Wily-Kit got no praise for her quick thinking. And worst of all, at the beginning, no one was like "What the HELL, Panthro! WHY did you fire missiles at us!!??"

As mentioned, the story pacing is still rough as ever, but I suppose I'm growing accustomed to it. The only part of this episode I found irritating was when everyone starting breaking out instruments for their musical number. I understand that it was a crucial plot device foreshadowing the resolution, but it was goofy in a bad way and probably could've been shorter (or storyboarded differently so as not to look like the lead-in to a musical number in a Disney flick).

So far, I don't think there's been an all-out "horrible" episode of the series yet, but the show does have its problems that need to be worked out.

#12 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10837 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

I still like the show lots.

Is it groundbreaking award winning writing? No. But though its had flaws and could use more character development depth still, it's been an enjoyable cartoon adventure.

And the art/design work is absolutely spectacular. I'd come back every episode just for the great design and the weird fantasy world.

-ZacWilliam, it's not like the original TCats was Beast Wars level with its character depth either. I'm happy to watch what we're getting and hope it deepens a bit more as we go.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 07 November 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#13 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55512 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

It's better writing than Terra Nova...

#14 Kickstrike

Kickstrike

The son of a chipwich

• Citizen
  • 14515 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I still need to pick up some of the toys.

I'm also hoping Pumyra and Bengali join the cast. I can see Bengali bein' kinda like Forge, a guy who's the resident weaponsmith and being the other tech-head of the team with Panthro. Pumyra, well, she'd be the medic. Duh.
Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#15 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12233 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

I would definitely call this the weakest episode so far. If Lion O had only stopped to think, he would have realized that killing the theiving insects will unleash a giant pile of rock biter! Just like how stopping the guy kidnapping Berbils unleashed some greater evil! Oh, wait. It didn't. Meh. Whiskers even. No real lesson learned this episode, and the the whole thing was kind of dissapointing. Elephant guys as stoner Indians wasn't my favorite tribe.

#16 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8602 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Silent_Magnus @ Nov 6 2011, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That whole racing thing at the beginning of the episode was a bit of a face-palm moment.

I had no problem with that; these aren't a crack military team, they're a couple of princes, a cleric (with what seem to be renegade tendencies even back home), and a couple of street urchins. Panthro is the only actual soldier among them --and hell, it's not like soldiers never need to just cut loose and have fun.

Besides, the race was going fine until WilyKat Fargo'd the missiles. (And I assume the others just wrote it off [as Lion-O did] as Panthro cheating at the race. We know from the pilot that Thundercats play rough --use of deadly weapons in sport is probably not unknown.)

And Lion-O wouldn't have needed to know about the Rock Biter; he knew that the Elephants, despite their short memory, had stockpiled enough food to compensate for the wraiths. Without the wraiths, the Elephants would over-harvest and end up watching their food stores spoil.

(Plus, the wraiths seemed very well organized for a nonsentient animal --I was expecting to learn that they were intelligent.)

#17 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10760 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

Loved this episode. It played with our pre-conceptions and turned them right around with the whole "elephants never forget" idea reversed. icon-hotrod.gif And Lion-O's brash actions even seemed justified at first because of their forgetfulness - "If they are gone, something bad will happen. But... We don't know what that will be." icon-fire.gif

Also, the musical number with Kit was simply awesome.

The ending confused me, though... so the stone is in the small house, but isn't at the same time? And we saw elephants enter that small building and never exiting... I think we'll see this village again.

Got the Volume 1 DVD of the show. I don't buy new shows on DVDs often, but this one deserves all the funding I can give. Can't wait for the new episode.

Also, don't see what's wrong with 'whiskers!'. I like it. Even use it instead of real swear words. icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by BB Shockwave, 11 November 2011 - 04:46 AM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#18 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1843 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Nov 11 2011, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got the Volume 1 DVD of the show. I don't buy new shows on DVDs often, but this one deserves all the funding I can give.

Sooooo does it really contain the full intro?

#19 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 7896 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

What full intro? The full intro is the little bit you see on Cartoon Network.

#20 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1843 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Tm_Silverclaw @ Nov 11 2011, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What full intro? The full intro is the little bit you see on Cartoon Network.

There was a rumor that the DVDs will contain full version of the short intro.

Edited by D.M, 11 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users