5094 replies to this topic

#521 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Someone took their time...

• Citizen
  • 3352 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-JOE-REBORN-Kindle-Novella-ebook/dp/B00KDLVSL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400716793&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+reborn

#522 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 840 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Captain America's Goliath makes a great Cobra vehicle right out of the box! Once I've done away with the Avengers logo, it'll be all Cobra. But really, the colors are already perfect, being more that dark "Cobra" blue with gray than the more patriotic blue you see on some Cap toys. It's pretty much the kinds of colors you see on the upcoming Fangboat.

Seats 2, plus another guy standing. Haven't tried it with RAH Joes yet.

#523 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 13095 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

It does look neat. With a touch ofpaint it could go from A for America to an Anarchy symbol. Too bad the rest of the colors don't really fit the Dreadnok look.
PApddmT.jpg

#524 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 17341 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

I've been meaning to get that for Cobra too! icon-hotrod.gif

Also, I managed to score a Techno-Viper and Renegades Tunnel Rat on Monday. Sadly, still no Storm Shadow.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#525 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4770 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hey, um, I'm not sure where to ask this but, I saw a page on TV Tropes that mentions some continuity connection between the live-action TF films and the Joe movies.

The Transformers Film Series and GI Joe the Rise of Cobra are canonically in the same universe, with there being suggestions that much of the advanced Joe tech came from studying Megatron's frozen body. In addition, Ratchet and Ironhide's vehicle forms can be seen in the Paris sequence. On the other hand, the Transformers movies don't suggest anything about GI Joe, also that they make mention to the actual Presidents of the time periods of the films (George W. Bush and Barack Obama) while GI Joe has their own President.
  • G.I. Joe is stated to be "In the near future," meaning that, by the time of the movie, the Autobot/Decepticon War could have ended/left Earth. In that case, one can believe that the futuristic technology of the film is an improvement over Sector 7 and NEST's current tech.
  • It's also impied that The Mummy Trilogy take place in the same Universe (Brendan Frazer says his character from G.I. Joe is a descendent of his character from the Mummy). This would also mean that The Scorpion King is set in this universe.

Is any of this actually true? Granted, that page has examples that don't look right anyway, but I need to make sure before doing any possible correction, and I haven't actually seen Rise of Cobra, so I need someone to explain.

Edited by Item42, 19 March 2012 - 12:44 AM.

DOES SAYAKA SAYAKA JOJO SWORDS POSING ARCHER BLADE WORKS SOMETHING ME?

#526 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 6127 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

There's absolutely no indication in ROC that it takes place in the same universe as any other movie. I'd refute the evidence from the TV Tropes page, except there isn't actually any evidence listed.

(I mean, maybe Brendan Fraser really did mention the Mummy thing in an interview or something, I don't know, but that still wouldn't even mean much)

#527 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4770 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Their actual page for Rise of Cobra says that the hint is from the novelization. Anyone can confrim or deny this?

DOES SAYAKA SAYAKA JOJO SWORDS POSING ARCHER BLADE WORKS SOMETHING ME?

#528 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 10883 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Brenden Frazer did say in an interview or two that his Joe and Mummy characters were related. However, IIRC this seemed to be something that Somers just kind of decided as a little off-the-record fantasy nod. To take it as gospel/make it part of the canon would be an EXTREME reach.

As for the TF/Joe connection... being Hasbro properties, I find a meta-reference much more likely than actually being in the same universe. Assuming for a moment that a few TF vehicles did show up, sometimes an Easter egg is just an Easter egg. A couple of cars in the background of a shot does not actually invoke all this connection that's being drawn.

In other words, it sounds like a couple of in-jokes are being turned into something they aren't.
"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#529 Dake

Dake

• Supporter
  • 13095 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

In fact Hasbro has been pretty clear about keeping the universes officially separate, the handful of crossover toys not-withstanding.
PApddmT.jpg

#530 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Someone took their time...

• Citizen
  • 3352 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Targets new price...

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-JOE-REBORN-Kindle-Novella-ebook/dp/B00KDLVSL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400716793&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+reborn

#531 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27916 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA no.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#532 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32086 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

If other stores adopt that, I'll be right out of Joe just as I was getting in. icon-fire.gif

#533 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46018 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I hated paying that but DAMN I wanted that Sci-Fi.

Walgreen's $11.99 Beachhead I'm still able to pass on.

#534 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 4652 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

I was just about to report that, too!

What the heck? How are they charging more for these things than for Hasbro's licensed lines? Even Star Wars Vintage isn't this crazy.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

LEGO Clone Wars: The Animated Comics

#535 Detour

Detour

You humans are so weird.

• Supporter
  • 17341 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wow, that's the Canadian price!

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#536 Dake

Dake

• Supporter
  • 13095 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

This way they can put them on "sale" for ONLY 7.99.

I'm just waiting for BBTS to put up preorders at this rate. Their per-figure case rate is usually on par if not lower than normal retail.

Edited by Dake, 21 March 2012 - 09:31 PM.

PApddmT.jpg

#537 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27916 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm kind of expecting this to be Hasbro's shoot-themselves-in-the-foot MSRP for the Retaliation figures, much like how the RoC figures came out at $8.99 while regular Joes had been $6.99 immediately before, meaning NOTHING MOVED UNTIL THE PRICE DROPPED. It only dropped a dollar, but still...

If that's the case all over, I guess I'll just go back and get a Phantom X-19, Cobra Mamba, and that weird TRU DtC HISS from right before Sigma 6 and call it quits on Joe purchasing for everything aside from the SDCC HISSwave.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#538 Betty Nor

Betty Nor

Das Feuer liebt mich

• Citizen
  • 6531 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

If that's a future price for GI Joes, I'm going to be exiting the hobby short of the few 25th-style figures that might show up from time to time.

Check out my eBay sales.  Gotta pare down my massive collection into something more managable.

Ending Soon:  BW10th Collection

Feature Auction:  BW10th Optimus Primal vs. Megatron TRU Exclusive NEW

More to come.

#539 Dake

Dake

• Supporter
  • 13095 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, if this truly is the new price and not a stupid Target thing, it goes to show Hasbro learned nothing. RoC didn't just flop due to dull-looking figures... It was hurt immensely by pricing as evidenced by higher sales during mark downs.
PApddmT.jpg

#540 Betty Nor

Betty Nor

Das Feuer liebt mich

• Citizen
  • 6531 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, most of my collection grew as a result of the 2 for $10 deals that kept popping up.
I still cringe at the $8 that's already become the norm, but $11? F that.

Check out my eBay sales.  Gotta pare down my massive collection into something more managable.

Ending Soon:  BW10th Collection

Feature Auction:  BW10th Optimus Primal vs. Megatron TRU Exclusive NEW

More to come.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users