3971 replies to this topic

#1 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1952 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Old thread collapsed under it's own weight, so here's a new one.

To start us off, here's the old crew celebrating the end of an era

Edited by Proper Dave, 04 November 2011 - 04:10 PM.

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

#2 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2620 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

That was fun...thanks...I really miss David Tennant, but I have to admit that Matt Smith has grown on me far more than I thought he would. I also REALLY like Amy and Rory. Here's hoping they all stick around for awhile.

I've been very slowly catching up with past doctors...I'm up to "the abominable snowmen", 2nd doctor...watching reconstructions for the missing eps is painful, but I do enjoy getting the whole story.

Edited by Nebucron, 04 November 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#3 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 1395 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

For some reason, my first reaction to that video was, "There's no way in HELL that Eccleston would've played along with that, if he had stayed..."

My local no-kill shelter is in real trouble, story is HERE :(

If anyone can donate (click the logo below) or just share this story with everyone they know, I'd really appreciate it.

BTiENxT.png

#4 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2567 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Nebucron @ Nov 4 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was fun...thanks...I really miss David Tennant, but I have to admit that Matt Smith has grown on me far more than I thought he would. I also REALLY like Amy and Rory. Here's hoping they all stick around for awhile.

I thought their story was pretty much done.

#5 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 21234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Nov 5 2011, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nebucron @ Nov 4 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought their story was pretty much done.

They can still show up, like how Martha was still in about half of season 5 despite no longer being a companion. Just becuase they're story is over or are no longer companions; doesn't mean they can't show up again. And iirc they've signed on for next season, so they probably show up for a modern earth story.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#6 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2620 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Yeah...I'm not saying they need to be in every episode or anything, but honestly I think it would be a huge mistake to ditch them altogether...and new stories can always be written for any character. They are signed on for next season, as Database said, so we'll see them again.

#7 HellCat

HellCat

OMG!

• Citizen
  • 10452 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

I get the feeling that Moffat wants to avoid the quick rotation of companions that RTD had. He's also heavily implied River Song's story isn't over, so that's another reason to keep the in laws about.

#8 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

I am Babushka Sky Lynx. I come from Russia.

• Citizen
  • 6694 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

As much as I love Amy and Rory, I think they got a good send-off. I hope they're not dragged back into the TARDIS in an awkward way. I hope the Doctor picks up a new companion early in the next season and Amy and Rory's story remains on Earth.
I have signatures disabled because they suck.

#9 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

Wow... that was awesome!
--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#10 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 33198 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I'm not ready to let Amy and Rory go yet. Amy was getting obnoxious, but she was better in the finale (Also nice call back to Season Five in regards to her abilities. This is how you do "Special" companions. You don't drop the power of God on them and then take it away. You give them something extremely useful...but only in certain situations). And Rory is just fun. Not the bumbling incompetent male companions of RTD's era, someone who actually has something to contribute to the narrative beyond "Oh my God. I'm the Tin Dog!"
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did?

#11 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 5 2011, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm not ready to let Amy and Rory go yet. Amy was getting obnoxious, but she was better in the finale (Also nice call back to Season Five in regards to her abilities. This is how you do "Special" companions. You don't drop the power of God on them and then take it away. You give them something extremely useful...but only in certain situations). And Rory is just fun. Not the bumbling incompetent male companions of RTD's era, someone who actually has something to contribute to the narrative beyond "Oh my God. I'm the Tin Dog!"

That wasn't really a fair comparison, though. K-9 was infinitely more valuable than Mickey.
--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 33198 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Agreed. Unfortunately, after K-9's departure from the series proper, he really hasn't been used very effectively. I mean, in Sarah Jane Adventures, didn't he spend the first few seasons in a cabinet?

#13 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 21234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 5 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Unfortunately, after K-9's departure from the series proper, he really hasn't been used very effectively. I mean, in Sarah Jane Adventures, didn't he spend the first few seasons in a cabinet?

Rights issues, since there was a K9 series in the works the SJA crew suffered a "K9 embargo".
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#14 HellCat

HellCat

OMG!

• Citizen
  • 10452 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

K-9 gets a few cool moments once the rights issues were resolved. He was basically written out when Luke left, but the final episode introduced a dog whistle for him that likely would have been used if the season had been completed. Really, the worst and most character breaking moment was Clyde hiding him under the table to cheat in a science exam. Especially odd since it was a school with those 'massive open space on the bottom' science class desks.

Haven't seen his own series but what I've heard doesn't sound good. Apparently alot of Australian actors forcing London accents.

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 33198 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

I wish they'd just bring him back to Who proper. It'd be nice to have the Doctor interacting with him again.

#16 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1952 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 6 2011, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish they'd just bring him back to Who proper. It'd be nice to have the Doctor interacting with him again.

Same! I miss Mickey! oh wait!

#17 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4696 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Someone at el 'reg is rather cranky about the how sappy the good Doctor has been lately:

http://www.theregist...otional_rescue/

I can't say I disagree.
On them twitters

#18 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1952 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Doctor Who - The Movie?

#19 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4696 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Link does not work.

But this one does:

http://www.cinemable...ates-27882.html

I wish it didn't.

On them twitters

#20 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 33198 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Nov 14 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone at el 'reg is rather cranky about the how sappy the good Doctor has been lately:

http://www.theregist...otional_rescue/

I can't say I disagree.

Didn't they poke fun at this mentality in The Wasp and the Unicorn?

I can't say there isn't a certain "reality" in letting bad things befall the major guest stars, but it's not like the major guest stars have been all sunshine and roses. Despite getting better, Rory was killed, and in the space of that time frame Amy and the Doctor had a adventure with Pablo Picasso - who they establish still kills himself.

You can argue the sensitivity of the modern watcher all you want, but view it from a in-universe perspective. The Doctor has lived through the most horrific war imaginable in the Last Great Time War (Where Billions died every second only to be reborn to die again), and had to condemn his entire species to certain death twice over. That's been the whole gist of the series up until Matt took the reins: The Doctor learning to live again. Dealing with that darkness inside of himself and learning that every life is precious and not just dismissing "The little people" (Insert dialogue from the end of The Waters of Mars as well as The End of Time here).

Let's take Inferno for example. Great classic story. Very epic in scope for its time and extremely well done. But going back to it, Pertwee's Doctor barely batted an eye at leaving all these people behind. There wasn't even any hesitation. There was no drama. "Well, that sucks doesn't it?" *Shrug shoulders and carry on*

In reality, witnessing the absolute destruction of a planet should have driven him to the brink of insanity. Especially having to leave people who had trusted him and become his friends.

Some may prefer the cold, stand offish Doctor and I still get a kick out of him, but ultimately I'll take "Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once...EVERYBODY LIVES!" over it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users