- - - - -

Masterpiece Megatron issues.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

WHAT THE hug?! I opened my MP Megs after having it in the package for a while and a horrible rust was all over his metal parts. the feet, hinges around the shoulders, EVERYTHING! The figure looked as if I had set it out in the rain for a week. Thankfully, I was able to take some brasso to the figure and get it good as new, but this is a HUGE issue. Has anyone else had problems with this? I mean it was insane. I've never seen anything like this. I have figures from 84 that I used to take into the tub with me as a kid that are in better shape than this "masterpiece".

Edited by .Scourge., 28 October 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#2 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5411 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Yeah MP Megatron seems to have issues with this.

#3 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(RYNO @ Oct 28 2011, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah MP Megatron seems to have issues with this.

Have any crafty fans been able to figure a way to permenantly fix this? I don't want to have to take a brush and brasso to this figure every 6 months.

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48769 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

I haven't tried to fix mine, but if you google it you'll see that people have had this issue since the first couple of months owning him. There are ways to get rid of it, but I'm not sure if there is a permanent solution to never having it happen again.

Randy

#5 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Oct 28 2011, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't tried to fix mine, but if you google it you'll see that people have had this issue since the first couple of months owning him. There are ways to get rid of it, but I'm not sure if there is a permanent solution to never having it happen again.

Randy

Alright, yea. after reading through a few google, it definitely seems to be wide spread. Great, I only took it out of package for a day and left it in package. I open it today and almost have a heart attack. PC can you lock this thread? Thanks. no one can really add anything else.

Edited by .Scourge., 28 October 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 6078 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

I can say that the reissue doesn't seem to have shown the same problems.

#7 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 5768 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Rosicrucian @ Oct 28 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any way to tell the difference between the two? I bought a Masterpiece Megatron at BotCon 2008 and I've had him out of the package constantly since then.
William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.

#8 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48769 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

There's probably a packaging date on the figures' boxes. MP-6 first came out in March (?) of 2007, so if the embossed date on the bottom of the box is not CXX07 or BXX07 where XX is the day of the month he was released (so any where from 01 to 31) and C or B is either March or February, then you probably have the second one.

Randy

#9 Might Gaine

Might Gaine

ARMS UP!! \(^_^)/

• Retired Staff
  • 12814 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Echowarrior @ Oct 28 2011, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any way to tell the difference between the two? I bought a Masterpiece Megatron at BotCon 2008 and I've had him out of the package constantly since then.

The way you can tell is that the feet are not rusted all over icon-waspy.gif
(,>.<, ) ....******

#10 Dx3

Dx3

o_0

• Citizen
  • 1976 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Two words: jewelry cleaner.

And for pete's sake, it's not rust. It's simply tarnished. Happens to pennies, horn instruments, furniture and is easy to deal with.

Preventative measures include clear nail polish, future floor finish, clear coat paint and I'm sure there's a rub solution of some sort for musical instruments that'll work too.
Photo Work and Customs

#11 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4681 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

I call it the dried mechfluid/blood of the Autobots and squishy humans that he has trod upon.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#12 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7999 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Oct 28 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I call it the dried mechfluid/blood of the Autobots and squishy humans that he has trod upon.

Cosmic Rust. It's a killer!

#13 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 6078 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Echowarrior @ Oct 28 2011, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He wasn't reissued until about the start of 2011. I've had mine out of the package continuously this whole year, and no tarnish that I can see.

#14 Nightwing

Nightwing
  • Citizen
  • 960 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

I bought him right when he first came out, had him out of the package ever since, and haven't had any issues with the metal. Really weird, but then none of my Hot Toys figures (ED-209, Aliens, Rambo) ever had issues with their rubber pieces, and I never had a NECA toy break. My house seems to exist in some pocket dimension where debilitating toy defects don't manifest.
Ninpo Ikkan Magakoro Ni Masari

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

#15 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

I've had two which were the first release which never had the rust problem.

#16 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5475 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:21 AM

mine only has very minor "rusting" on the feet

Edited by God Fire Convoy, 29 October 2011 - 03:22 AM.

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#17 Devcon

Devcon

It takes a lot to make a stew

• Forum Moderator
  • 10296 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(Dx3 @ Oct 28 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for pete's sake, it's not rust. It's simply tarnished. Happens to pennies, horn instruments, furniture and is easy to deal with.

Preventative measures include clear nail polish, future floor finish, clear coat paint and I'm sure there's a rub solution of some sort for musical instruments that'll work too.

I'm confirming this. Though I haven't tried using the preventative measure Dx3 mentioned, jewelry cleaner works wonders.

#18 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(Devcon @ Oct 29 2011, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Dx3 @ Oct 28 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm confirming this. Though I haven't tried using the preventative measure Dx3 mentioned, jewelry cleaner works wonders.

Is the jewelry cleaner permanent, or is it something I'll eventually need to revisit every 6 months?

I recommend that those who say theirs are not suffering the rust take another look. I thought mine was immune for the longest time too, then I went to give it a good look over and there it was.

#19 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Is the jewelry cleaner permanent, or is it something I'll eventually need to revisit every 6 months?

You'll have to keep doing it. The whole reason jewelry cleaner exists is that certain metals tarnish over time and need to be periodically cleaned.

#20 tec

tec

Its a Gundam!!!

• Citizen
  • 15335 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

Must be when Donny struck that match on Megs foot

sigtest1D_zpsa793aca9.jpg
When the first finger slipped on a keyboard without the tools to erase the mistake, tec was there. When the first pencil hit paper with no eraser to remove error, tec was there. When the first cave painting depicted a buffalo when it meant to show a horse, tec. was. there.
-Phage

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users