247 replies to this topic

#61 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 477 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

There's me thinking there were no duplicates in this episode...

#62 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Oct 22 2011, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And we missed one monstrously, ginormous big fluke.
<snip>

Twilight, Applejack and Spike saw the truth and are speechless.
Rofl.

At least Ponyville will never run out of pastries~

#63 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(LoomX @ Oct 22 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's me thinking there were no duplicates in this episode...
Yes, it's the same the following scene, but at least the clones have varying color schemes.
Three knights, two Cleopatra, seven ponies wearing antennae, not counting the ladybug filly.

And in the 1080, you can see even Apple Bloom's ribbon is in stitches.
I'm kinda disappointed I haven't found Ruby anywhere.

That scene's so shocking because it's the first time mane characters were cloned. At first, I thought it was just Scootaloo, but then I saw two Chicken Pies.

#64 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17494 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I think I liked this episode, but I don't think I liked the conclusion. I felt bad that the only way Nightmare Moon I mean Luna could get the other ponies to like her was by scaring them.

I did love Luna's portrayal. I would think that a villain coming around after a 100 years of an imprisonment would have a lot of trouble fitting in. But apparent;y she learned nothing from Princess Celestia in the year or so since she came back.

#65 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 22 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I liked this episode, but I don't think I liked the conclusion. I felt bad that the only way Nightmare Moon I mean Luna could get the other ponies to like her was by scaring them.
In a way, it works. It's always a saying that if you try and fail at something you're unaccustomed to. Turn your negatives into a positives.
Still, the idea of traumatizing foals doesn't work well, and wouldn't have gotten through if the E/I was still there.

The ponies performing on stage are also variants from the quartet at the Gala. The pony on stage left has Octavia's design and cutie mark with different colors and a violin. Then the one with the harmonica is Sweet Brass and then we even have the pianist on (DRUM ROLL) ...the piano.

Edited by Masked Toaster, 22 October 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#66 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

So Scootaloo was the Wolf, Sweetie Belle was a Vampire and Applebloom was Bride of Frankenstein?
Reclaim the suffix.

#67 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 22 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took it more in that Nightmare Night was more about the idea of the scary holiday rather than about her reputation anymore, so she just had to learn to roll with it.

Pinkie admitted that she wasn't really scared of Luna, she was just being silly (and inadvertantly really hurting her feelings), though I can totally imagine there were some ponies who WERE genuinely frightened.

Great ep.

#68 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3194 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Now that I'm properly dressed for the festivities, icon-hotrod.gif I'll watch the ep online.

Edited by Pony of Merak, 22 October 2011 - 01:39 PM.

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#69 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2099 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Oct 22 2011, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently, they were right. Her canon personality destroyed fanon.

Thats what I LOVED most about today's episode!!
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#70 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 1797 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

I really enjoy the halloween episode. It was fun. The level of detail and making sure(with the exeption fo one scene) of having no duplicate background ponies was great. The costume were nice, cameos galour. Tennis pony was back! Zacorna was great. Espically with her halloween magic. Pinky Pie was great scene stealer. Plus I love the fact we have offical Rainbow Dash in Shadowbolts uniform. Pluswas Bon Bon and Dr Whooves in the episode in costume? Didn't see them in the first veiwing So I was just curious on that.

I love how Luna was portrayed. Gives ya a good grasp of why she became Nightmare Moon original. Where her way of Royality addressing to the commoners played a big part in that. While the fathom version of her took a huge hit. I still really like the offical of her. Plus she still kept the seriousness of her fathom counterpart without knowing "fun" in a way. The only thing I dislike about her protryal which sadly would of hurt the episode. Is seeing no reaction from Luna she sees the concept of the holiday and who she was with the other ponies. While we did see her upset with the ponies being scared of her. Its more like it would be nice to see her say hey the still see the nightmare I became or why do they celebrate the nightmare I became. If that makes sense. Plus i'm surprise no one really mention her growth spurt. Where she's taller and having the hair style similar to her sister but more nightmare moonish. Its a good luck and keep it consistant with her sister but amkes ya wonder if were getting a possibel Nightmare Moon(character not image) return.

With the character of day, Pipsqueak. Had no trouble with him being in the episode. Usually when you get these characters. Their normally the focus of the ENTIRE episode. Were his appearance was kept to the basic, to help with the plot as needed, and wasn't annoying. So while parts of the fandom may over panic for now. It really isn't that bad when ya think about it

Nayuki I'm surprise you didn't try to sneak in your Kamina Laria avatar in the episode.

Overall this was a great episode and can't wait to show it to my neice to see her reaction to it.

#71 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Skids @ Oct 22 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nayuki I'm surprise you didn't try to sneak in your Kamina Laria avatar in the episode.
There's only so much awesome one episode can hold.

#72 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5130 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

I think that this episode probably worked a bit better for the primary target audience than for the secondary. (And don't get me wrong, that is definitely not a bad thing) After all, it was largely about the joys of Halloween as experienced by a kid.

My favorite part of the episode hasn't even been mentioned here yet... It was the little filly in a pink princess costume saying "But I wanted to be a zombie next year!" That's such a perfect little message wrapped up in such a short and succinct way. Almost brings a tear to my eye, thinking about it now.

Speaking of costumes, we probably shouldn't think too hard about what those things imply about Equestrian culture. After all, there would have to have been an Equestrian Cleopatra at some point. And a space program, which kind of undermines the "1000 years banishment" thing a little bit.

I was a bit perplexed by Pinkie Pie's seemingly out-of-character behavior throughout the episode. It seemed weird to me that she, the carefree and welcoming one, would be so frightened and borderline judgmental. And then, she explained herself and it all made sense. This show still manages to surprise me sometimes.

#73 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Bags @ Oct 22 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nayuki @ Oct 22 2011, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Kein @ Oct 22 2011, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nayuki, I don't think you know this answer I guess I should ask Raven but still... why did you change Rarity to Carrot Top?

Rarity was in an early version of the script/storyboards (the leaked image was from one of the early storyboards), but was later cut out due to time constraints in the episode (only so much you can fit in 22 minutes).

Glad to see you guys still found time to fit in fanon pandering (Carrot Top x Derpy) instead of one of the mane six! Maybe we should be worried about Lauren leaving after all. Hmm. How was dash important to the story though?

thanks for clarifying regardless.

Don't be a jerk.

If the Rarity scene had to be cut, and we can assume, if the Fluttershy scene was about speaking, and AJ was about attitude, then Rarity was likely about how she was dressed/looked, then her appearing for just the unvoiced reaction shot with Derpy would just have people going "why didn't Rarity do more!" This way, we know Rarity was off relaxing after making all the costumes, or off clubbing, since as a young adult, who's not kid/family focuses as the others, she'd be wont to do, and the fans get a quick pic to make them happy. Everyone wins.

Even the trolls win, since they get to complain about something.

#74 Don_East

Don_East

Feeling Spectacular

• Citizen
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

The thing is, about Luna in this, she has the same trappings as the popular fanon depiction. However in terms of execution is greatly different, Fanon!Luna was more restrained and low-key. The real Luna however was the mare version of BRIAN BLESSED!

Hey, quick question, did Doctor Whoof wear a costume in the episode? Because I'm currently writing a short story where he gets involved with his own Nightmare Night adventure.

And this is my idea for his costume.

I hope there's someone that gets the two references or else I'll be forced to explain.

Edited by Don_East, 22 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#75 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4795 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Oct 22 2011, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of costumes, we probably shouldn't think too hard about what those things imply about Equestrian culture. After all, there would have to have been an Equestrian Cleopatra at some point. And a space program, which kind of undermines the "1000 years banishment" thing a little bit.

I think we should use them to fill out our knowledge of Ponydom. PONIES IN SPACCCCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!!

QUOTE(Creature SH @ Oct 22 2011, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was a bit perplexed by Pinkie Pie's seemingly out-of-character behavior throughout the episode. It seemed weird to me that she, the carefree and welcoming one, would be so frightened and borderline judgmental. And then, she explained herself and it all made sense. This show still manages to surprise me sometimes.

It bothered me, frankly. Pinkie is a prankster, but she's careful not to hurt ponies' feelings, ala Fluttershy. That she was having fun, despite it continuously upsetting Luna seemed cruel.

@Don East: Doctor Whooves didn't appear......or did he.....whooooeeeeeeoooooo. He wasn't on screen, but he was likely off not evacuating in his moment of triumph. (I got the 2x reference)

Edited by Scavgraphics, 22 October 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#76 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 1797 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

With the discussion on why none of the town ponies regonize Nightmaremoon in the seaon one and now the do in today's episode story wise. Maybe it was the past down image of Nightmare Moon for 1000 years. Like over the 1000 years. What Nightmare Moon look like got distored from what ponies told each other, artistic interpatation, and the story book images we also had in season one. So when they saw her for the first time, besideing being freak out that a being powerful enought to make Celestia be a no show. Cause the we do not no who you are. Where jump to today's episode. Where they now have an accurate idea of what she look likes and update their decorations and made a new statue to go with the holiday tradition.

DiscoSpider. Yep Scootaloo was the "Werewolf, Sweetie Belle was a "Vampire" and Applebloom was "Frankenstein" or the "Bride of Frankenstein" on how you want to look at it.

#77 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4606 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Oct 22 2011, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Oct 22 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did love Luna's portrayal. I would think that a villain coming around after a 100 years of an imprisonment would have a lot of trouble fitting in. But apparent;y she learned nothing from Princess Celestia in the year or so since she came back.

The "terribly depressed and regretful" fanon version of Luna seems pretty on-the-nose now, having finally seenthe real thing.

There was something even sadder about how Luna was portrayed in the episode. She expected that after 1000 years that she could pick up where she left off and things could go back to the way they were before she became Nightmare Moon, then found out the hard way that life isn't so easy. Not only is everything from her dialect to the way she addresses her subjects completely outdated, but the one night of the year dedicated solely to her memory is founded solely on mortal terror.

It was even worse than if she'd shown up all wishywashy and sorrowful. She thought everything was cool and bygones were bygones only to get a very rude awakening.

This episode beats crappy fanfics, any day.

Yeah, I'm with you, doc. This episode had some really deep stuff it it. All of them have so far in season 2.

"Because I don't turn ponies into stone!"
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#78 Bags

Bags
  • Protoform
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Well, sorry about my posts earlier. Just was excited to see vampire Rarity (from the leaked storyboard) and then she didn't show up... so I was kind of mad.

Sorry, Nayuki.

#79 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

I thought Berry Punch was the one dressed as whats-his-face from Jumanji.

Edited by Masked Toaster, 22 October 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#80 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 3194 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

great episode! I really liked Luna's Chariot at the beginning of the episode that thing is wicked! (in a good way) but only has made my mind go wild.

What was Luna doing all this time?

those servants of her had Bat wings. are they Pony vampires?

Does she still live in her castle (or is in Canterlot with big sis?)

Moar Luna plz.

icon-fire.gif
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users