201 replies to this topic

#61 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6712 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

That is assuming the demand for the Green ones was elastic and not flat. Which it was likely pretty flat.
What is singature?

#62 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I still kinda want a green one, but QC issues plus price plus the inability to get someone to go in on a set means that it likely will remain an exclusion to my collection.

Eh, maybe one day they'll have a fire sale to desperately try to clear stock and I'll have some pity on one of the online vendors.

#63 Magnus

Magnus

Board

• Supporter
  • 7476 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm very torn - on the one hand, it does look pretty good, and Classics PMOP is #1 of my list of figures that I would kill for.

That being said, I have two concerns that prevent me from plopping down money for a pre-order:

1) Xovergen's last product sucked. Sorry, but it really did.

2) The fact that this was made for three different Primes really worries me. I question how well it will be able to hold Classics Prime in if it was also meant for the original PMOP Prime, and wonder how much better this would look if it were meant for Classics Prime only. I wonder how much this kit is trying to be all things to all people.

I'll wait for the reviews before I make a final judgement, but i'm definitely interested.

#64 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 21188 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 16 2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still kinda want a green one, but QC issues plus price plus the inability to get someone to go in on a set means that it likely will remain an exclusion to my collection.

Eh, maybe one day they'll have a fire sale to desperately try to clear stock and I'll have some pity on one of the online vendors.

Yeah, same here.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#65 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31420 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Mar 16 2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) The fact that this was made for three different Primes really worries me. I question how well it will be able to hold Classics Prime in if it was also meant for the original PMOP Prime, and wonder how much better this would look if it were meant for Classics Prime only. I wonder how much this kit is trying to be all things to all people.

It's being all things for just me. I'll probably buy 3.

#66 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Showtime!

• Citizen
  • 21452 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

well I just measured and Powermaster Prime requires 2 1/4" of depth to lock into the original trailer... measuring from the arm hinges to the edges of the rear wheels ... G1 Prime, takes up the same amount of depth measuring from the edge of the dicast cab section to the back of the rear tires when the legs are folded up in a similar manner to PMPrime.

Classics prime (with the legs down as shown) is 3" even from the yellow arm accents to the front grill... with the gun/stacks attached adds another 1/4" so he sicks out an entire inch more already ...

yeah, there's just no way to avoid the big blue buttflap using the classics mold icon-screamer.gif

now my next question is... Will there be fold out trailer hitches so I can connect this between the G3 trailer and the TFCON Powered Commander set ? O_o because I will put down a preorder NOW to ensure that monstrawesome convoy
Tommy,',tec,OP,Shenanigans,Destron and some other guy. Thursdays.
TOMORROW: "Jen... 'nuff said."

#67 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1837 posts
  • Location:Mt. Vernon, VA Home: Long Island, NY Previous: Tampa, FL
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 16 2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BBTS did, finally, break up sets. And in short order dropped the price on the green one to something like $40-50 for varous clearance sales, which they appear to have done well on, since that's sold out, but they've got one Red and Blue still for sale ($90), and 11 of the original sets ($180).

http://www.bigbadtoy...search=xovergen

I got the green one, tried to transform it and enjoy it....and it was all just pure jive. Good ideas, but piss-poor execution. None of the stuff on the 'trailer' is secure to anything, etc, etc. It's still sitting in it's box in the spare room. Every now and then, I think about pulling it out and trying to fix it with some trimming or glue or nail polish, but I don't even know where to start.

This looks a lot simpler than Rolling Thunder was, and hopefully these guys have learned something, but I remain skeptical until it's reviewed. And they reevaluate their price and distribution structure.
xvpu.jpg
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

#68 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 10191 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Mar 17 2012, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the green one, tried to transform it and enjoy it....and it was all just pure jive. Good ideas, but piss-poor execution. None of the stuff on the 'trailer' is secure to anything, etc, etc. It's still sitting in it's box in the spare room. Every now and then, I think about pulling it out and trying to fix it with some trimming or glue or nail polish, but I don't even know where to start.

I would echo everything about this, save still having it. I found a suckergood friend willing to buy it off me at cost.

I really wanted to like it... in theory a Rolling Thunder Prime is everything that I should like. But it was just horribly done and took up so much space on the shelf that I eventually couldn't stand it anymore.
"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#69 Jeremy

Jeremy

Hardcore Criminal

• Retired Staff
  • 23545 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hopefully they've learned that quality is very "make or break" with these things as far as word of mouth goes, but it does worry me that this is trying to do too many things at once. I wouldn't mind it looking just a little more beefy, but if this is well-made, it would be a pretty welcome collection piece. A G1-style Powermaster Prime with all the bells and whistles is one of those things that I still can't help but think is really unlikely to get from Hasbro.

Edited by Jeremy, 17 March 2012 - 07:17 PM.

"Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise." - Cato the Elder

"Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper." - Larry Flynt

#70 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 31420 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Mar 17 2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully they've learned that quality is very "make or break" with these things as far as word of mouth goes, but it does worry me that this is trying to do too many things at once. I wouldn't mind it looking just a little more beefy, but if this is well-made, it would be a pretty welcome collection piece. A G1-style Powermaster Prime with all the bells and whistles is one of those things that I still can't help but think is really unlikely to get from Hasbro.

What's the deal with cheap plastic, anyway? The cheapo knockoffs use it, I guess, because they couldn't care less. But is there anything about different kinds of plastic that would require different equipment? Can Xovergen just run good plastic through their Rolling Thunder molds and get better Rolling Thunders? Or is there more to it?

#71 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1837 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Rolling Thunders problems won't be solved by just changing the plastics. There's just a lot of unfortunate design decisions (There's just no fix for that thing hanging off his back without a full redesign), things that should peg together but don't (aka, the entire trailer in every mode and combination possible), and just tolerances all around.
xvpu.jpg

#72 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5037 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

The robot mode looks fine, but the alt mode looks like.. uh... nurflgrpft. And it's not really a good TF toy to me when one of the modes is basically an afterthought.

Add the huge price tag (I can't bring myself to type "potentially huge" when it is basically guaranteed to be) and the big likelihood of bad quality, and I'm out before there was ever an In.

#73 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 16 2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BBTS did, finally, break up sets. And in short order dropped the price on the green one to something like $40-50 for varous clearance sales, which they appear to have done well on, since that's sold out, but they've got one Red and Blue still for sale ($90), and 11 of the original sets ($180).

http://www.bigbadtoy...search=xovergen

This looks a lot simpler than Rolling Thunder was, and hopefully these guys have learned something, but I remain skeptical until it's reviewed. And they reevaluate their price and distribution structure.

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Mar 17 2012, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Mar 17 2012, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would echo everything about this, save still having it. I found a suckergood friend willing to buy it off me at cost.

I really wanted to like it... in theory a Rolling Thunder Prime is everything that I should like. But it was just horribly done and took up so much space on the shelf that I eventually couldn't stand it anymore.

Thanks for these, I think I'll just take this thing off the want list altogether then. But I'll keep my eye on trailerforce for now.

Edited by Asquian, 18 March 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#74 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 5309 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Honestly, there was nothing especially wrong with charging what they did for a figure of that size, or even for one that might have ended up smaller. That's not unreasonable for a custom product with a limited run. It's just their engineering really fell down.

#75 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1837 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Most of the price complaints are two-fold; The quality is not worth what they charged, and their insistance at selling a pair of them.

Even if it had been Fansproject-quality, the requirement of buying two of these things for a total cost of $180 was not a wise decision. Just like how FunPub couldn't sell off their Astrotrains on a "Buy one, get one free basis"; They only sold when they finally halved the price in general.

There are odd collectors who want (and can afford) duplicates of big-ticket items like that, but they are not the majority of the consumer-base for these things.
xvpu.jpg

#76 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 26483 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Magnus @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, this is another sticking point for me. I'd prefer that a company just pick one Prime, whether it be the Classics deluxe or voyager, I don't care either way, and do it well. We already know Xovergen can't deliver on something overly ambitious, so why do the same thing again?

QUOTE(Rosicrucian @ Mar 18 2012, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, there was nothing especially wrong with charging what they did for a figure of that size, or even for one that might have ended up smaller. That's not unreasonable for a custom product with a limited run. It's just their engineering really fell down.

I think the general impression was that Xovergen seemed to be cutting corners to wring every last penny from that price and it backfired.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#77 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 21188 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Mar 19 2012, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Magnus @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, this is another sticking point for me. I'd prefer that a company just pick one Prime, whether it be the Classics deluxe or voyager, I don't care either way, and do it well. We already know Xovergen can't deliver on something overly ambitious, so why do the same thing again?

I kinda wonder how far in advance they planned it, or if while doing the planning they realized that G1 and PM Prime would also fit in the space? Almost like how G1 fitting in the original wasn't planned, but ends up working.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#78 Meister79

Meister79
  • News and Content
  • 2409 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

http://www.facebook....3...0000&type=1

New pics!
Looking good. Just don't like the thin neck.

#79 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5401 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

gotta admit that thing does *look* pretty spiffy

here's hoping the quality doesnt suck

[and if it doesnt i hope they're wanting to do a godbomber-like add on kit. that thing would look sweet with some beefed up lower legs, a new chest piece, and some epic wings]

Edited by God Fire Convoy, 26 May 2012 - 07:43 AM.

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#80 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I am disappointed by the colors matching the Henkie Toy rather than the Classics toy but only a little bit because I may not even get this.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users