328 replies to this topic

#1 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5693 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Pretty damn good to. It was significantly better than all of last season save for the pilot. I hope this season is more consistent. A lot of the stuff last season felt like it was just filling time. Stuff that had little to no character development, action, or suspense. I didn't really feel like there were any wasted scenes in this one.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you missed it don't worry they seem to be showing it about a bajillion times it looks like.

Edited by ultra magnus13, 16 October 2011 - 10:06 PM.

I finally got rid of that big white box.

#2 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34983 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

A couple things:

That was awesome how they hid from the walker herd, especially hiding underneath the bodies! That was epic!

HIGHLIGHT to view:

Whats with all the dead people on the road in their cars? I thought that once you died, you re-animated? I kept waiting for one them to get bit while salvaging supplies.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#3 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54840 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Oct 16 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty damn good to. It was significantly better than all of last season save for the pilot. I hope this season is more consistent. A lot of the stuff last season felt like it was just filling time. Stuff that had little to no character development, action, or suspense. I didn't really feel like there were any wasted scenes in this one.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you missed it don't worry they seem to be showing it about a bajillion times it looks like.

Well, you say that -- but all the character moments last night were only possible through the character development from last season you said wasn't there.

#4 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 4658 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

They need a campfire scene to establish them though these aren't the same characters from the comic, this lot would probably have awkward silence.
"Do not be led by others, awaken your own mind, amass your own experience, and decide for yourself your own path." -The Atharva Veda

#5 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13778 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

This is exactly what I was hoping the first season would be. A suspense filled character show that takes its time in telling stories. I'd be happy if they took an entire season to tell each story that's contained in one volume of the comic. The first season seemed a little rushed to me, but like Kal says they need to do a lot in the first season to establish the characters and get the audience to the point where they could do a show like this.

We showed the episode for free at our theatre and sold out our largest house - capacity 256 - with the help of the local comic shop.
Yep.

#6 theEvergreen

theEvergreen

cursed with the bad luck chromosome.

• Citizen
  • 1061 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

My favorite parts of the episode:

The opening talk: "The journey's been hard, and it's going to get harder, but it can't be as hard as it already has been can it?"

Such poetry has not been spoken since my 5th grade English class.

Then theres:

Lori: Carl, put the knives away.

Carl: Shane, tell her to let me keep the knives, Shane!

Shane: No, go give them to Dale now.

Lori: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN TO MY SON??!?!?! Also, I'm more mad about that than you trying to rape me.

Before that:

Old guy: "I'm going to go up on this RV and do nothing but look through binoculars but not see the zombies walking -300 miles an hour until they're like 20 yards from us."

And the ending I saw coming a mile away, and no I didn't read the comics, but I figured that would happen because people were smiling and this is basically "Crying Dead" at this point. I mean that in the sense that the writers of this show think that crying and whispering in a gravely voice as a talking voice is A++ television.

I liked the first 2 episodes of this show, but after that I can't take it seriously. It almost seems like the writing team from Season 2 and beyond of Heroes.

#7 Crazy Drummer?

Crazy Drummer?

Mike!

• Citizen
  • 1310 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I started watching it, and fell asleep icon-screamer.gif I watched the entire first season, I like the show, so I'll have to be sure to watch this episode

#8 Aphel Aura

Aphel Aura

I see a red door and I want it painted black.

• Supporter
  • 1615 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Mildly miffed at the show now because that ending was completely hugging unnecessary. Shock for shock's sake does not make a good plot. Seriously, what was the point of that?

Edited by Aphel Aura, 17 October 2011 - 12:49 PM.

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Nov 14 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know there's a shortage of words in the world today, you should economize.

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 21 2011, 10:13 AM)
LIFESTYLES ASSOCIATED WITH HONOR:
Samurai
Shipmaster
Klingon
Toy Collector

#9 tigerhawk

tigerhawk
  • Citizen
  • 4658 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Mildly miffed at the show now because that ending was completely hugging unnecessary. Shock for shock's sake does not make a good plot. Seriously, what was the point of that?

In the comic Carl and Sophia had become cute characters though things took a unexpected twist when Carl killed Shane who went off the deep end in issue nine he was shot and it served as a precursor to introduce more characters.
"Do not be led by others, awaken your own mind, amass your own experience, and decide for yourself your own path." -The Atharva Veda

#10 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 13778 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Aphel Aura @ Oct 17 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does play service to the story as it plays out. Just wait...

It was used in the exact same way in an issue of the comic.
Yep.

#11 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 34983 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(theEvergreen @ Oct 17 2011, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorite parts of the episode:

The opening talk: "The journey's been hard, and it's going to get harder, but it can't be as hard as it already has been can it?"

Such poetry has not been spoken since my 5th grade English class.

Yeah, I was like WTF?

Then theres:

Lori: Carl, put the knives away.

Carl: Shane, tell her to let me keep the knives, Shane!

Shane: No, go give them to Dale now.

Lori: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN TO MY SON??!?!?! Also, I'm more mad about that than you trying to rape me.

Yeah, I thought that too, but then I just figured that she is just pissed off at him for the attempted rape that she will yell at him for anything.

Before that:

Old guy: "I'm going to go up on this RV and do nothing but look through binoculars but not see the zombies walking -300 miles an hour until they're like 20 yards from us."

I was wondering how he missed the entire herd until he saw that one.

And the ending I saw coming a mile away, and no I didn't read the comics, but I figured that would happen because people were smiling and this is basically "Crying Dead" at this point. I mean that in the sense that the writers of this show think that crying and whispering in a gravely voice as a talking voice is A++ television.

Yeah, I was figuring that he was going to get Antlered or trampled by that large deer. I know that he was looking for a sign, but that was extremely stupid.

Edited by The Predaking, 17 October 2011 - 01:22 PM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#12 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5693 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Oct 17 2011, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Oct 16 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you say that -- but all the character moments last night were only possible through the character development from last season you said wasn't there.

I'm not saying there wasn't character development, action, or suspense in season one, just that there are a lot of scenes that have none of that and seem to serve no purpose other than fill time.

#13 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2632 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ok...I absolutely loved the first season....didn't even know it was a comic until well into the first season...read all 89 issues last month in the way of catchup...and to be honest, I found the season opener to be fairly boring.

Sure there were some attempts at character development, especially with Andrea and Rick, and less so with some of the others although still present, and I realize that character interaction is a huge part of this show, but for a season opener, especially one 90 minutes long, I expected more...
To be honest, it fell more to me like a way of intentionally trying to throw comic fans off...

Without spoilers: It seemed like they were putting situations in that were similar enough to some comic scenes that you expected certain things to happen...and then nothing did.

I still liked it but I was really hoping to see a certain HIGHLIGHT to view:
sword wielding, zombie leashing character show up...or maybe see them stumble upon a prison.

I know the show is different from the comic, which is a good thing, but if they make it TOO different it becomes a bad thing. Not talking about the last scene here...more thinking of scenes with Shane and Rick, and the church...

Oh, yeah, and what IS the deal with the bodies in the cars, anyway?...if there isn't some explanation there, that just makes no sense at all based on what we know so far...

Edited by Nebucron, 17 October 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#14 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5693 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Nebucron @ Oct 17 2011, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok...I absolutely loved the first season....didn't even know it was a comic until well into the first season...read all 89 issues last month in the way of catchup...and to be honest, I found the season opener to be fairly boring.

Sure there were some attempts at character development, especially with Andrea and Rick, and less so with some of the others although still present, and I realize that character interaction is a huge part of this show, but for a season opener, especially one 90 minutes long, I expected more...
To be honest, it fell more to me like a way of intentionally trying to throw comic fans off...

Without spoilers: It seemed like they were putting situations in that were similar enough to some comic scenes that you expected certain things to happen...and then nothing did.

sword wielding, zombie leashing character show up...or maybe see them stumble upon a prison.

I know the show is different from the comic, which is a good thing, but if they make it TOO different it becomes a bad thing. Not talking about the last scene here...more thinking of scenes with Shane and Rick, and the church...

Oh, yeah, and what IS the deal with the bodies in the cars, anyway?...if there isn't some explanation there, that just makes no sense at all based on what we know so far...

I really REALLY hope they stay far FAR away from the later stuff in the comic. Keep that anime/(manga?) trash out of my zombie apocalypse please.

#15 gwynn

gwynn

squirt

• Citizen
  • 799 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

My guess is the bodies in the cars were dried out or cooked from being in there so long. They were more or less jerky.

#16 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6839 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Oct 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really REALLY hope they stay far FAR away from the later stuff in the comic. Keep that anime/(manga?) trash out of my zombie apocalypse please.

What anime stuff? Sword does not automatically equal anime.

And lol and calling a group of 30-40 zombies a herd. I'll wait for them to CG a group of hundreds.

#17 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

A singing fool

• Citizen
  • 5035 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(C16 @ Oct 17 2011, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Oct 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What anime stuff? Sword does not automatically equal anime.

And lol and calling a group of 30-40 zombies a herd. I'll wait for them to CG a group of hundreds.

A group of 30 to 40 cattle is a herd...... Anything more than 10 is a herd.
For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

Rastelli Direct 2.0 Afflilate link. http://www.rastellidirect.com/7208

#18 Crypt

Crypt

Cryptinite Demon

• Citizen
  • 12890 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

The boyfriend pointed this out on netflix over the weekend, and we watched the whole first season. Coincidentally the 2nd season premier was on the same day. So now I've sat through 7 episodes of this thing, and really the writing is not so great.

The first season started off great and had me intrigued, but it just went downhill after the first two episodes. It's hard to believe these things so easily overran the military when the small pack of main characters is able to kill any of them with the slightest thump on the head. I also don't like some of the mechanics of the zombies. Seems oddly inconsistent. Okay, so they're hungry, but they'll just patiently wait around for seemingly infinite periods of time until a plot character strolls by so they can be spooky and jump at them? Like the church scene. Are we really supposed to think the zombies just decided to sit there that whole time? And if everyone gets this horrible thrashing fever before dying and coming back to life, then they sure handled it well by sitting up perfectly straight at church in their Sunday best. I will give them credit though; the zombies in this series seem more capable than any series I've seen, which gives them more fright effect.

And as already mentioned in this thread by theEvergreen, this episode had some bad plot in it. I found myself doing a few double takes and saying, "Wait, did they really just do that?".

Really everything just feels predictable so far. Not a damn thing in this episode was the slightest bit surprising. I'm hoping this show gets better cause I want to like it, but it's getting less watchable with every episode.

#19 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15580 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

I was a little dissapointed with this, I think its just a little too much drama for me. I kinda liked what the blonde girl said to Dale though, he had that coming. I don't get the deer thing at all, was the boy going to pet it?

#20 Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000

Extinctpundit

• Citizen
  • 13380 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hard to believe all those people would have just sat in their cars and died of thirst. And, yeah, regardless of cause, their deadness is a problem in itself.
The TFWiki: when just five Infernos aren't enough. http://www.tfwiki.net

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users