191 replies to this topic

#41 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

I really enjoyed this one. The updated opening was good; it was about time the CMC were included in it. The facial expressions were priceless, and this definitely tops Swarm of the Century for how deranged we've seen Twilight. There were some seriously creepy vibes in her scene with the Crusaders, though, lol (unfortunately, a bit reminiscent of a certain fanon incarnation of Celestia)... and materializing inside the ball and destroying it seems almost like something Discord would do. She seemed extremely comfortable with teleporting in this episode, whenever it took place. I wonder if that kind of unhinged state of mind is one of the things that's more conducive for performing that kind of unusual magic. The Dinky and Ruby sightings were welcome, too; I hope we see more of both this season.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 15 October 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#42 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13591 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

In a way, this episode was weirder and crazier than the Discord episodes. At least in those, there was a plot device that explained all the zaniness and 4th wall hijinks.

But this was just supposed to be "another typical adventure", which is why stuff like Spike pushing backgrounds out of the way or flipping them up like window shades just seems all the crazier.

And Twilight tripping the hug OUT was... whoah. This almost seemed like a different show from the more mellow early season 1 episodes. Twilight's creepy expressions and total mental breakdown was almost Ren & Stimpy-ish.

The self-referential gags, too. The entire PLOT of the episode is that Twilight inadvertantly breaks the episode formula and loses her mind. Rarity's melodrama was a great recurring gag (especially the couch).

Don't get me wrong; this episode was fantastic... but it's like they're purposely shooting for a wider target audience than season 1, which had unintentionally caught a wider audience. Fluttershy brutally snapping a grizzly bear's neck would NOT have been in, say, episode 5 of season 1.

The show's definately trying to capitalize on its recent reputation as an all ages/genders program; not just a girl's show, anymore.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#43 Elegant Mess

Elegant Mess

Who wants some robot chicken?

• Citizen
  • 5941 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Oct 15 2011, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Oct 15 2011, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy CRAP.

This show just took acid.
And went to a very good place. Although Fluttershy's Bear Mistreatment looked a lot like Sibsy's work.

Apparently some of you weren't paying attention, as Fluttershy revealed when she had him pinned it was a chiropractic treatment.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#44 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13591 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Oct 15 2011, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Masked Toaster @ Oct 15 2011, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Oct 15 2011, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy CRAP.

This show just took acid.
And went to a very good place. Although Fluttershy's Bear Mistreatment looked a lot like Sibsy's work.

Apparently some of you weren't paying attention, as Fluttershy revealed when she had him pinned it was a chiropractic treatment.

We got the joke, dude.

TMNT Entity

-Mark Pellegrini

#45 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1773 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I just find it odd that Twilight's reaction to the appearance that animal-loving FLUTTERSHY had just KILLED A BEAR BY SNAPPING ITS NECK was "Oh darn, Fluttershy's gotten over her fears so I can't solve any of her problems". Sure, it turned out Fluttershy was just acting as the bear's chiropractor, but Twilight didn't know that. Heck, she probably still doesn't know that.

#46 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 1767 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

That was an awesome episode! I was laughing hysterical throught out the whole thing. Twilight losing it was priceless. Fluttershy "wrestling" the bear was so out of character. It was great. Their was just so much good stuff in this episode. The Rainbow nuke by Rainbow dash, the Rarity drama queen bit, and how Celestiahandle herself with the main 6. Just awesome. Then you got a eyars worth of shipping materila with everyone fighting over the twilight enchanted stuff toy. i was even awe when i caught Lyra fighting bonbon durnign that/.

Its weird, with MLPFISM being going for so many months and then we get this new episode which is just comedic gold. It reminds of one Episode of Excel Saga where the episode premise was everyone had to serious and it was driving the cast nuts not doing gags until the very end. in which it feels like the staff of MLPFISM most have gone throuhght the same thign this summer and this eiosde was their way of releaving that tension.

#47 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17349 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Oct 15 2011, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In a way, this episode was weirder and crazier than the Discord episodes. At least in those, there was a plot device that explained all the zaniness and 4th wall hijinks.

But this was just supposed to be "another typical adventure", which is why stuff like Spike pushing backgrounds out of the way or flipping them up like window shades just seems all the crazier.

And Twilight tripping the hug OUT was... whoah. This almost seemed like a different show from the more mellow early season 1 episodes. Twilight's creepy expressions and total mental breakdown was almost Ren & Stimpy-ish.

The self-referential gags, too. The entire PLOT of the episode is that Twilight inadvertantly breaks the episode formula and loses her mind. Rarity's melodrama was a great recurring gag (especially the couch).

Don't get me wrong; this episode was fantastic... but it's like they're purposely shooting for a wider target audience than season 1, which had unintentionally caught a wider audience. Fluttershy brutally snapping a grizzly bear's neck would NOT have been in, say, episode 5 of season 1.

The show's definately trying to capitalize on its recent reputation as an all ages/genders program; not just a girl's show, anymore.

It did feel very different. Return of Harmony felt right in line with Season 1 (slightly zanier given the villain, but still in-line with the first season). But this one felt.... I dunno, darker? More mature? Less innocent?

I'm not sure I like that direction. I mean, I laughed my ass off at the show, but I'm not sure it sits well with me.

#48 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Very much more comic and cartoony than we are used to. ("Feeling Pinkie Keen" comes closest, I think.) And makes me even more of a Spike fan. Kinda hoping the next ep is a little more low-key. Also, I want to watch the opening in 1080p now just to confirm if they really did sneak Madam Foster on that train. It's definitely a very close resemblance.

#49 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

I predict a veritable maelstrom of new avatar GIFs featuring psycho Twi.
FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#50 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I think some might be reading a bit to far into certain aspects of the episode. Plot shots... really? I think you're letting your viewing of the episode be more influenced by certain elements of the fandom rather than looking at it objectively. I find it highly unlikely... nay, I find it rather impossible that the production staff are including more shots of ponies butts just to satisfy a small group of fans who seem to find that amusing. Those kind of angles are simply the nature of any animated series involving intelligent animal species that don't wear clothes; but there are no more of them now than there has been before, and there's never been anything sexual about it. Geez.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 15 October 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#51 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5041 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

I for one, hope the doom-saying stops pretty quickly. The show runners have said they aren't changing anything to benefit the bronies, so there's no need to read into things needlessly.
Reclaim the suffix.

#52 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13591 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, the idea that the animators are being... pervy with pony anatomy is an absolute delusion.

No.

Nonononononono.

NO.
TMNT Entity

-Mark Pellegrini

#53 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 19924 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

This was a great episode. Twilight is confirmed as the most OCD cartoon character ever. And Fluttershy vs the bear? Rarity being a drama queen? Rainbow Dash as a weapon of mass destruction? All awesome.

#54 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

I only found out what "plot" meant yesterday when I looked at that ratemyplot website. Some people are just... I dunno. And the idea that they're putting those shots in the show intentionally is insane. It's a kids show at the end of the day.

I have a feeling the doom-saying will happen after every episode from now on. Well, as long as I'm still enjoying the show I 'm happy icon-hotrod.gif

#55 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2351 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Er, plot shots?

That was hilarious! I can so identify with Twilight, LOL! Yes, her in the bushes, planning her evil designs on the Crusaders was terrifying!!! Celestia's voice of God, calling Twilight's name was scary as well. Why didn't she reprimand her for abusing her magic? That love spell can do so much evil, seriously.

I kinda thought it would end with Twilight noticing that she neglected Spike's cramp. Him notifying Celestia and Twilight STILL not noticing that she was overworking him is slightly heartbreakiing.

WHY did Twilight think that Pinkie would NOT need help? Does Twilight already know that Pinkie is omnipotent? Hehehe. Seriously, though, why not Pinkie? She didn't even try.

AaaawMG, Big Mac picked up the doll in the end! He prefers intellectuals pony ladies! Woo! icon-waspy.gif

Smartypants is sooo cute with the little notebook and quill... I'm imagining Twilight playing with her/it and making her/it do homework, LOL!

The massaged bear thing was kind of an easy joke bit. Try it with an Ursa Minor Minor icon-hotrod.gif I LOVE Rarity and her couch. I was disappointed when it didn't appear for a third time. Was that a third Sonic Rainboom? It comes easier to RDash now?

Aaaaw, they could have added a psycho Twilight song sequence. It could work icon-waspy.gif I knida thought there'd be a whole new song intro but it was just that train thing. :/
Feel the FEAR!

#56 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right Of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 1305 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(TM2 Dinobot @ Oct 15 2011, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cosplay maybe? Show and tell snap on wings? A bigger Celestia fangirl than Twilight? Sneaking into Magic Kindergarden to spy on the unicrons?

Unicrons?.....I don't know if that's a typo or on purpose. Either way, it's still funny. icon-fire.gif

I think Twilight might have broken a record for the most new facial expressions (some creepier than others) from a single character in just one episode.

#57 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(pao @ Oct 15 2011, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I want to watch the opening in 1080p now just to confirm if they really did sneak Madam Foster on that train. It's definitely a very close resemblance.
And the white, poofy-hair mare next to her seemed fairly familiar, as well, mayhaps of the granny Madame Foster was always in contending with.

#58 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Fero McPigletron @ Oct 15 2011, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was hilarious! I can so identify with Twilight, LOL! Yes, her in the bushes, planning her evil designs on the Crusaders was terrifying!!! Celestia's voice of God, calling Twilight's name was scary as well. Why didn't she reprimand her for abusing her magic? That love spell can do so much evil, seriously.
At this point, I fully expect Twilight to get a 'With great power comes great responsibility' episode in S2. Because God knows, she needs that lesson. Her use of magic in S2E1 & E3 (As well as some S1 examples - WWU comes to mind) is... Not exactly of the responsible type.

Would be awesome if such minor and not so minor irresponsibility is happily shown over a decent part of the season, leading up to such an episode.

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Not ... quite. Sequins?

• Supporter
  • 13495 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

This was fun. I have to assume that episodes like this one are going to stay rare - we've only had two thus far, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" and "Party of One," as noted, and one episode does not a trend make. Crazy, though, with everyone as badass as possible, particularly Dash and Celestia, and Twi being legitimately a little bit evil.

If there really is more evil this season, it's got something to contend with. I agree with the suggestion that chronologically, this is "the following spring" (as I think Stare Master was guessed to be as well?) if for no other reason than that Dash and Twilight have been doing some frickin' training.

I loved seeing Celestia scary. That was really nicely played.

QUOTE(Nayuki)
I think there's only ever been 2 intentional

It's Kein.

Kids, sometimes, you just have to eat your friends.

#60 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1773 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

Just throwing this out there... I think that this was easily the creepiest, most terrifying episode of MLP: FIM I have watched so far. The scene between Twilight and CMC easily overshadows Pinky Pie's "Party of One", no contest.

Also, was it just me or was the color of Twilight's unicorn magic a much more red shade of color than the pink we normally saw in season 1?

Edited by Zecora, 15 October 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users