Photo
- - - - -

The Simpsons keeps going strong... and back in theaters!

290 replies to this topic

#121 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

We stay our course, whatever may come

• Citizen
  • 16684 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

And the show will somehow still be going.

#122 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54859 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(BeltlineYYC @ Apr 12 2012, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Apr 11 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the thread's title hasn't changed and all you No-Homers are still praying for death, I'm assuming you missed the news that the contract dispute was resolved last year (the actors took pay cuts, presumably not as offensive as the original offers) and everyone's agreed to continue the show through Season 25. That's spring 2014, if you're not keeping count.

http://edition.cnn.c...ewed/index.html

When The Simpsons started airing, I was the same age as Bart. When this next renewal is up, I'll be the same age as Homer. icon-depth.gif

D'oh?

#123 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41479 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Reminds me of that Shortpacked comic where it will be retconned that Bruce Wayne's parents were killed after watching Pokemon: The First Movie.

#124 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14356 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Apr 13 2012, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reminds me of that Shortpacked comic where it will be retconned that Bruce Wayne's parents were killed after watching Pokemon: The First Movie.

I'm still waiting to see the follow-up, where he is inspired by the movie to become a Pokemon trainer, and gains his identity from a Zubat.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Zubatman is the best at everything, including Pokemon... and he can breathe in space.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#125 Adam G

Adam G

Chopper Face 69

• Supporter
  • 10478 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just had to look it up after you guys mentioned it:
http://www.shortpack.../thefirstmovie/

Great comic...

#126 Random Items

Random Items

formerly chris parasyte

• News and Content
  • 9665 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Aw, peas... Simpsons did that too. Remember the Sadgasm episode?

Edited by BeltlineYYC, 13 April 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#127 Fishbug

Fishbug

Injector has a posse

• Citizen
  • 9270 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

I try not to.

#128 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

The reason Simpsons is less quotable or memorable now is less to do with Simpsons itself and more to do with the fact that in the 20 odd years since it came out, so has a metric jiveload more television. Back when it started, Simpsons was practically the only prime time animated show, and one that tons of people watched (again, there was less on TV and the home video market was still sorting itself out). Hundreds of affiliates syndicated the show's early years, and thus everyone was getting exposed to those early (quotable) episodes.

Come the mid to late 90s, the Cable TV explosion, the arrival of more prime time animated content, cartoon network, adult swim, toonami, Seth McFarlane, and DVD/DVI/Netflix, the show just fell to the wayside. Not because it was less good necessarily, but because the audience is more dispersed.

I think there's also something in here to do with the fact the show's in universe stagnation/degeneration (Depending on point of view) that has made it less appealing in some ways. Remember this?
lisaswedding.jpg

Yea... I think this is kind of a factor in the show's decline in popularity to some extent.

All that said, i fully admit, I haven't watched the show since... Ummm... wow... Better part of 10+ years since it was must see TV for me. I mean I've caught the odd episode here and there, but nothings ever really stuck with me.

Edited by Vestras, 13 April 2012 - 10:53 AM.

Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#129 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10201 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I am an avid watcher, has been since the nineties. Then again, a big part of this is the mere fact that we in Hungary were getting every season with an around 2 year delay back then, so even if the show was already in decline in the US, we did not see it... not that year, anyway.

#130 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19827 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(LBD @ Apr 13 2012, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Apr 13 2012, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still waiting to see the follow-up, where he is inspired by the movie to become a Pokemon trainer, and gains his identity from a Zubat.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Zubatman is the best at everything, including Pokemon... and he can breathe in space.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Zubatman is the very best like no one ever was. To go to space is his real test, to breathe there is his cause.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#131 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10201 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Heh. Well, it is only logical the two huge blockbuster franchises would merge like this.

.... 5 years ago, Nkelsch would be already working on an avatar/icon. Where has he gone to...

Edited by BB Shockwave, 17 April 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#132 Naas

Naas

whatever

• Citizen
  • 4765 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Is that a G1 Skids body in that poster?

Also, which episode is the picture in Vestras' post from?

Edited by Item42, 23 April 2012 - 12:46 PM.

DOES SAYAKA SAYAKA JOJO SWORDS POSING ARCHER BLADE WORKS SOMETHING ME?

#133 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

There go I, but for my face.

• Forum Moderator
  • 19884 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Apr 23 2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, which episode is the picture in Vestras' post from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa's_Wedding
""Lisa's Wedding" is the 19th episode of The Simpsons' sixth season, which originally aired March 19, 1995."

It's a good one. But then, if you haven't seen pretty much every episode from seasons 2 though 9, you've missed something you shouldn't.

Edited by ChessPieceFace, 23 April 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#134 Vestras

Vestras

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

1995 episode, 2010 wedding, so it was 15 years ahead. It's now 2012, and Lisa's still a straw liberal (4th grader I think?). Which puts her current date of birth...In what? 2002?

It's charming for a little while, but after this long it just feels... wrong/lazy.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#135 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Forum Moderator
  • 19884 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Vestras @ Apr 24 2012, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1995 episode, 2010 wedding, so it was 15 years ahead. It's now 2012, and Lisa's still a straw liberal (4th grader I think?). Which puts her current date of birth...In what? 2002?

It's charming for a little while, but after this long it just feels... wrong/lazy.

So the 99% of cartoons that don't feature characters realistically aging are all "wrong/lazy?"

By that logic, Mickey Mouse would've been dead by 1929.

#136 Vestras

Vestras

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yea, but Mickey doesn't pretend to have continuity. King of the Hill, Venture Bros, even Flintstones recognized that their characters needed to grow up after a while. Simpsons just kinda sits there.

MacFarland get's away with things for his level of absurdism overriding any possibility of continuity.

It mostly bugs me because the characters of Lisa's Wedding (linked above) and Bart to the Future seem worth exploring ya know? Wasted potential.

Edited by Vestras, 24 April 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#137 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Forum Moderator
  • 19884 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Simpsons only occasionally has continuity. Generally, any changes are undone by the end of the episode, with later references to them made only vaguely. Or if something life-changing does occur, it's usually within one episode, and that change sets the status quo for future episodes. F'rinstance, Apu gets married in one episode, then he's referenced as married in subsequent episodes without reference to how long it's been, then there's another episode where they have octuplets, which then stay the same age in subsequent episodes.

I don't know why you'd consider it "wrong/lazy," it's just how the show works. It's making good use of the fact that it's a cartoon. They have complete freedom to change something when they want to, or not if they don't.

#138 Random Items

Random Items

formerly chris parasyte

• News and Content
  • 9665 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Edna and Flanders got together recently, but I don't know if that stuck. I think there was a fan vote on whether or not it would be permanent, btu I don't know how that played out.

#139 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Forum Moderator
  • 19884 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

The "Yes On Nedna" votes won last fall, but (presumably) because of their significant development time, subsequent episodes haven't focused on the relationship. Maybe next season.

*edit* Oh, here we go.

https://www.facebook...150769214063656
Sunday, May 13
THE SIMPSONS (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) – “Ned ‘N Edna’s Blend”
When the town of Springfield discovers that Ned (Harry Shearer) and Edna (guest voice Marcia Wallace) have secretly gotten hitched, Marge offers to throw them a congratulatory reception. However, bringing everyone together makes them all realize that no marriage is perfect. Meanwhile, Edna tries to help Ned’s children become more socially acceptable by changing some of the rules.

Edited by ChessPieceFace, 24 April 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#140 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7437 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Also: Patty (or was it Selma's) adoption of a baby girl.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users