Photo
- - - - -

The Simpsons keeps going strong... and back in theaters!

252 replies to this topic

#1 Random Items

Random Items

formerly chris parasyte

• Citizen
  • 9200 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Link

I won't paste the whole article, but here's the gist of it:

The reason is a negotiating impasse between the studio and the six principal actors who voice the beloved characters on the animated series that hilariously satirizes middle-class Midwestern angst.

Difficult bargaining is nothing new for the show, which was created by James L. Brooks and Matt Groening. Fox studio execs have occasionally threatened to replace uncooperative cast members with sound-alike actors. But for the first time in nearly a quarter century of haggling, the executives have insisted that if the cast doesn?t accept a draconian 45 percent pay cut, The Simpsons will die an abrupt death as a first-run series.

You might remember actor Troy McClure once said "the Simpsons have come a long way since an old drunk made humans out of his rabbit characters to pay off his gambling debts. Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?" Well, I somehow think they'll come to an agreement that sees production continue, but... dang.

Edited by BeltlineYYC, 23 May 2012 - 01:15 AM.

Tweets by @AvengersShow

#2 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25684 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

We can only hope.

I am what I am.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30114 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hey look, you can dislike the show all you want: but its obviously still profitable enough to be on the air.

But asking the voice staff to take a nearly 50% pay cut... thats not cutting, that amputation. Granted, their earning ridiculous sums already for it... so... whatever. Not like it makes any real difference in the long run.

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 53331 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I think a "45% pay cut or your fired" ultimatum is pretty jivey. There's the part of me that doesn't care because I'd take 10% of one year of their pay and be able to make it last the rest of my life, though.

#5 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5214 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

While I gotta admit it's been a damn good run for the series (heck 23 seasons is amazing), I'd hate to see it go. Of all the series on Fox's Animation lineup the Simpsons is the only one I care to watch anymore. All the MacFarlane shows are watchable but the shock value humor is getting old for me. Heck the funny part was the Simpsons used to be the Shock humor show when it first started and now has become more of the normal over the last two decades. But if Fox plans on finally killing off the show I can't say it's not been a long time coming.
3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#6 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2566 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

I don't get it--what's the rationale behind such a massive pay cut? Going into this I thought it was going to be about the voice staff wanting more money, not negotiating less.

Maybe Fox needs that money to pay for all the horrible Family Guy spin-offs. Family Guy itself has become unwatchable. Every time McFarlane adds a new show, the original gets worse.

#7 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 53331 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

This is Fox we're talking about. The ones who last time this issue came up threatened to replace the cast with sound alikes.

#8 Sheba

Sheba

Starscream's Guardian Force

• Citizen
  • 1487 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Oct 5 2011, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey look, you can dislike the show all you want: but its obviously still profitable enough to be on the air.

But asking the voice staff to take a nearly 50% pay cut... thats not cutting, that amputation. Granted, their earning ridiculous sums already for it... so... whatever. Not like it makes any real difference in the long run.

"But then they can replace the voice actors and nobody will notice the did-diddly-difference!" icon-fire.gif
Listen, just do what I tell you, and everything will be fine.

O[}:{>

#9 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12402 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Clearly, this is just a ploy so Fox can greenlight Seth MacFarlane's fourth show for Sundays, "Balding Yellow Patriarch."

#10 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2566 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Oct 5 2011, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clearly, this is just a ploy so Fox can greenlight Seth MacFarlane's fourth show for Sundays, "Balding Yellow Patriarch."

You mean the new Flintstones show he's doing?

Someone quit giving him shows. He's the Tyler Perry of animated comedies.

Edited by Benbot, 05 October 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#11 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

I am Babushka Sky Lynx. I come from Russia.

• Citizen
  • 6691 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

They'll work it out. They always do.
I have signatures disabled because they suck.

#12 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7209 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Oct 5 2011, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's the Tyler Perry of animated comedies.

Except his shows are sometimes funny.

EDIT: And by "his," I mean Seth's.

Edited by Zek, 05 October 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#13 AnkhChalice

AnkhChalice
  • Citizen
  • 1565 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

At this point, I honestly don't care if The Simpsons ends or not. I haven't watched it regularly since Season 21 I think. I've only seen two or three episodes since the last couple of years.

#14 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

I know I wouldn't like to take a 45% paycut, but then again I'm not earning nearly a fraction of what the Simpson's cast are ($8m each per season, apparently). No doubt they're doing a great job on the show but times are hard.

And even though the show gets bashed for not being as good as it was back in the day, if it were to be cancelled then a lot of people would miss it.

Hell, even if it is cancelled, I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear again after a year or 2. Just look at Family Guy and Futurama.

#15 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13594 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Oct 5 2011, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get it--what's the rationale behind such a massive pay cut? Going into this I thought it was going to be about the voice staff wanting more money, not negotiating less.

This:

QUOTE(LoomX @ Oct 5 2011, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I wouldn't like to take a 45% paycut, but then again I'm not earning nearly a fraction of what the Simpson's cast are ($8m each per season, apparently). No doubt they're doing a great job on the show but times are hard.

The 6 principle actors on The Simpsons make an ABSURD amount of money each season, which they've wrangled over 20 years of contract negotiations (which the clipped OP article hints at). Not that the 45% paycut isn't a BS maneuver, but if the show isn't as profitable as it used to be and the bean counters are looking for a place to cut costs, then I can see how they'd interpret cutting $8million bucks an actor down to $4million bucks an actor as being a good place to start.

In the 80s and early 90s we saw actors like Castellineta, Azaria and Cartwright in cartoons all the time, but aside from Azaria making some poor live action choices recently, we hardly see any of them anymore outside of The Simpsons (probably because they don't have to work ever again if they don't want to).

QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Oct 5 2011, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They'll work it out. They always do.

Pretty much this. The cast has had Fox by the balls for over a decade and Fox always, always caves.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#16 Jesse (M_P)

Jesse (M_P)

Built of iron and steel

• Citizen
  • 15277 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

the POS show should have been cancelled years and year ago.
Former TF Collector, now a Harley owner

#17 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

I haven't watched it regularly for years, and it's been at least a year since I bothered sitting down to watch a new episode. At this point, I think it would be better off just ending. $8 million a season is a bit absurd, and I think they and other overpaid people in that industry could probably do with a 45% pay cut as well. They'd still be doing immeasurably better than the rest of us, and have more money than they'd ever need.

On the other hand, when the Simpsons goes, FOX will probably just give MacFarlane yet another show so that Sunday will become completely unwatchable. The Simpsons, at least, had the advantage of characters I've grown to like over many years; so even if an episode is pretty half-assed, I could still probably tolerate it. I can't tolerate any of MacFarlane's stuff.

#18 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13594 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

I stopped watching The Simpsons regularly back in high school. ...And I graduated in 03.

Still, I don't vehemently hate it like a lot of people or even wish it would die. I just don't really pay attention to it anymore. And if the weekday reruns aren't showing an episode from the seasons I grew up watching, I typically change teh channel.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#19 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus
  • Citizen
  • 1936 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Oct 5 2011, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stopped watching The Simpsons regularly back in high school. ...And I graduated in 03.

Still, I don't vehemently hate it like a lot of people or even wish it would die. I just don't really pay attention to it anymore. And if the weekday reruns aren't showing an episode from the seasons I grew up watching, I typically change teh channel.

I am actually excited for episode I haven't seen (and considering I stopped around the same time as you, that's a LOT of episodes).

I'm just curious why Fox hasn't allowed Adult Swim to air the series. Family Guy is on some 6 channels around here at varying points in the week, so I'm curious why they are avoiding a potential revenue stream (which really could pay dividends, AS brought back Family Guy, maybe if they start showing Simpsons, younger viewers will take a renewed interest and maybe inject some life into the DVD sales and improve Sunday ratings?)

#20 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41393 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

I don't want it to end, I just don't care for it any more. I'll still watch it though just in case a new episode is actually funny. I keep being let down though and I become embarrassed for the people watching it with me since its so unfunny.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users