31 replies to this topic

#21 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11586 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(Spark @ Oct 6 2011, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So who was the super stealth spotter guy?

Galvatron, as part of his evil/heroic plan against D-Void/to support D-Void/whatever the hell it is this issue.

Obviously.

Phazer

#22 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1416 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Cat @ Oct 7 2011, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it WAS a big deal when Impactor did it.

That was when the war had "rules" and Impactor's killing of Squad X had much more dire consequences to the war at large (The Povian factor).

#23 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 2131 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Yeah, not sure why this matters. So what if Spike revenge-killed Scrapper? From his POV, Decepticons don't have any rights on Earth anyway and are little more than soulless machines, not living beings. At least he killed an enemy opponent. He's at least directing his violent actions towards enemies instead of, say, reprogramming one of his own men to be a puppet- right, Prowl? icon-primal.gif

#24 Scraplet Bait

Scraplet Bait
  • Citizen
  • 122 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Is anyone else disappointed with the way this story is shaking out after 2 years of building up to it?
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#25 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1416 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Scraplet Bait @ Oct 9 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is anyone else disappointed with the way this story is shaking out after 2 years of building up to it?

I think it's better to ask if anyone is NOT disappointed.

#26 Scraplet Bait

Scraplet Bait
  • Citizen
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(Wildwade @ Oct 9 2011, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Scraplet Bait @ Oct 9 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's better to ask if anyone is NOT disappointed.

LOL...

Yep!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#27 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10508 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

All I could think after the last page of the preview:

"Mom, Judy has been playing with my toys again, and she has totally mistransformed Brawl!" icon-fire.gif

QUOTE(Spark @ Oct 5 2011, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Shockprowl04 @ Oct 4 2011, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why exactly do we care about this again? Why is obtaining evidence that one human killed one Decepticon and lied about it so frikkin important?

Yeeeaaaahhh... I thought we were back in cosmic conflict mode currently...

Having these two storylines run paralell is not the best of ideas, considering the earth one will have zero impact on the cosmic stuff. Unlike say, Stormbringer, which did have impact on the earth stories.

QUOTE(Cat @ Oct 6 2011, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Part of me thinks it'll turn out to be a new and improved Scrapper, and thus Spike's off the hook, because Scrapper technically never died.

He became a headmaster!

DUN-DUN-DUUUUNNNN!!!!

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Oct 7 2011, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Revenge-killing a surrendering opponent, okay, I can see why (some of) the Autobots wouldn't love it. But as it is, I'm hoping the followup to Spike's confession will be something like, "I don't know why you're surprised, Prowl, we almost killed YOU back in issue one."

Oddly, everyone seems to have forgotten that they REALLY killed Ironhide as well, back then. If it wasn't for magic Alpha Trion Ex Machina, he would be truly dead and buried. And the Autobots only found that one out a few issues ago, yet have been working along with the Skywatch humans fine... Also, I bet evil/treacherous japanese general guy and his magic ID tags will never be mentioned again either, as for Costa, no miniseries outside his ongoing seems to have existed.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 11 October 2011 - 07:17 AM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

#28 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41526 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:10 AM

One thing that still bugs me is the large meaningless panels.

Other writers could tell the same story in half as many pages. Costa prefers to write a flimsy short story then pad it out. #22 and #23 were worth the cost for it. These later issues just aren't.

But then everybody here knew that.
It all began in '84. Kept on rollin' in '85. The pieces were in place in '86, and it came to an end in '87. But now it comes, and here we go. Transformers is here again. Nothing's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1988!

#29 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

I liked it quite a lot actually, especially the end which basically turns Spike's stupid bravado into straight up sociopathic behavior. Enjoying this much more than Chaos right now.

It feels like Costa's learned his lessons from International Incident and is delivering a much tighter and consistent product.

Only real problem with the book was that it was 3.99 for 21 pages of story.

#30 Primer Prime

Primer Prime

SPEAK!

• Citizen
  • 788 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Oct 12 2011, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing that still bugs me is the large meaningless panels.

Other writers could tell the same story in half as many pages. Costa prefers to write a flimsy short story then pad it out. #22 and #23 were worth the cost for it. These later issues just aren't.

But then everybody here knew that.

Seconded. I'm really quite sick of Costa's splash panel overuse. Back in the day, Marvel had no qualms about sticking a "big reveal one-liner" in a small panel at the bottom of the last page. Especially if it's going to be something so obvious. Though I'm actually enjoying this story a lot more than Chaos so far, if only because it has a nice tight cast and characters like Brawl and Streetwise are actually getting some semblance of development, as opposed to just good guy / bad guy combiner limbs.

#31 Devcon

Devcon

Whaddayamean "I'm Back"? Daddy-yo,I was never gone

• Forum Moderator
  • 10252 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

The issue finally hit ComiXology today, so I grabbed it and just read it with 28 immediately after.

Yeah, lots of dialogue again, but then again this is Costa at work. I did enjoy the banter between Prowl and Streetwise, but that's it.

#32 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10508 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Read it today.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed parts of it. Mostly, Prowl and Streetwise capturing and interrogating Brawl, which was hilarious, and played with the personalities of Brawl and Prowl to great effect (Streetwise, not so much). Though, it took me about 3 glances to finally realize Prowl shot INTO Brawl's cannon to make his armor crack, the artwork made it seem like Brawl was shooting at him and Prowl shot his turret, cracking it open.
The whole WJ-talk was interesting too (Bludgeon, hey, he isn't forgotten completely... Though I guess we'd need Furman back for someone to actually do something with the character), if drawn-out.

Seconded the splash--pages, though. Streetwise getting Prowl out of the building, did we really need 2 pages for that?

The boring part?

Humans.

I am sorry, but who are wheelchair guy and many-wigs woman? With the varied-per-issue artwork, and everyone changing clothes, faces and hair color every issue, I just don't remember when we saw them before. Say what you will about Jimmy, Verity and Hunter, they were drawn consistently, had established 'costumes' and you did recognize them from just one look. More importantly, why should I care for these (new) characters? Too many pages are devoted to them, especially the girl and her previous work at Skywatch, which Costa supposes we should remember, but I seriously don't remember any of it.

On a cooler note, Groove! He looks great. So, all the Protectobots are on Earth. Wonder if and when will the Bots finally crack combiner tech. Jetfire must have worked on it...

And another thing, people say Furman uses dated words... I had to look up what 'internecine' means. icon-hotrod.gif And I still have no idea what the word 'baroque' has anything to do with 'murderous'...

The ending was totally lackluster though, telling us something that we all have known for a year, as if it was a groundbreaking, shocking cliffhanger. I could totally see the old IDW Prowl (Furman's and Roberts' Prowl) saying "Oh, so that's what you were hiding... but why? Job well done, we have one less Gestalt to worry about. Just don't leave so many tracks behind you next time. Your superiors could have made a fuss about you acting alone." I mean, we are talking about Prowl who was fine with letting humans die if protecting them would have endangered the mission on Earth. Prowl who planted mental suggestions into Kup's head. Prowl who practically sent Ironfist on a suicide mission. He is pragmatic about how the job gets done, as long as it benefits the Autobots and doesn't involve too much bloodshed.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 20 October 2011 - 02:09 PM.

Boo-Sig.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users