Photo
- - - - -

Would you like to see the Mechtech gimmick continue?

48 replies to this topic

#1 MonsterFromMars

MonsterFromMars
  • Citizen
  • 1534 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

I can't help but think that the Mechtech gimmick would have been awesome if it had been a gimmick used on the War For Cybertron Generations figures.

Interchangeable transforming weapons.

That was the only thing really missing with those toys IMO.

I kind of hope we see more mechtech type weapons in the future. Maybe when we get War For Cybertron 2. That would be a good gimmick to use for the figures.

#2 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 3997 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

No, the toys are already shrinking, and giant accessories that I mostly ignore only make the main toy even smaller. I'd prefer that the main toy get all the design attention and plastic.

#3 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

All together, you'll never be stronger than me

• Citizen
  • 15563 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

I wouldn't mind, IF they make sure all of them have a way to stay deployed. Too many of them just end up being big chunks with a gun barrel attached when posed on a shelf because they can't lock open.

#4 gravitybomba

gravitybomba
  • Citizen
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

I would totally dig mech tech weapons on WFC figures if the weapons were done in translucent colors.

GB!

#5 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4696 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

Not remotely, my least favorite gimmick in a long time.
On them twitters

#6 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5401 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

i hate mechtech almost as much as i hate mini-cons

which is a lot. and yes. i went there. >:}

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#7 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Bristleback hated you all before it was trendy.

• Citizen
  • 9414 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

NO.

KILL IT. WITH FIRE.

I mean, I just saw the Voyager Optimus Prime. I laughed mockingly. It is as small as a RVTS/Generations Deluxe.

Yeah, plastic is getting more and more expensive, but this is ridiculous. Not to mention how wacky and silly the weapons are. Like Skyhammer's stabbing-stabbity thingie...

#8 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

While there is a smidgen of appeal for a WFC toyline, other than that, not a chance. They are a colossal waste of plastic budget, and the lack of a lock on anything below a voyager is a big oversight. Many of them are just too bulky to be held by a lot of figures as is.

Now, if we are talking about Mech Tech ports, I have no problem with them as a legacy feature. Same as with Minicon plugs and C-clips, always a bonus to have a cool feature on a figure to get some extended playability.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#9 kinjacono

kinjacono
  • Supporter
  • 295 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

Absolutely not. They've tended (with exceptions) to look dreadful and I'd rather they used the budget on the figures themselves or just more, less gimmicky, accessories.

At least the HA basics are supplying us with a good amount of C-clip weaponry (even if they do come with a lump of plastic I could also live without).
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kinjacono
B*S*T: Kinjacono's Buy*Sell*Trade <<<<<<< new auctions on eBay 13/02/2012

#10 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41393 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

I've always strongly disliked oversized bulky weapons, and I dislike MechTech even more for making the Deluxes smaller even if they are decent molds.

I do appreciate that repaints don't retain the same MechTech weapon that the original release of the mold had.

#11 AnkhChalice

AnkhChalice
  • Citizen
  • 1565 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

I think the Mechtech gimmick is meh. Often times the weapons don't really like anything but large blocks of plastic when not deployed.

#12 Shanghai

Shanghai

GO RIGHT INTO IT!

• Citizen
  • 15059 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

I'd love to see it continue. It's nice to have some decently sized weapons again that do not have to suffer from being a part of the alt mode, or otherwise hidden.

Plus, I just like the G2 nod with having huge guns on the roof of cars and such.

#13 MonsterFromMars

MonsterFromMars
  • Citizen
  • 1534 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:46 AM

I can see why people don't appreciate it.

But in part I brought up the thread because I could see a lot of good uses for it with Generations type figures in the future.
Although, that said, I definately agree it should be more or less a Legacy feature. And, not a constant.
Heres why I mentioned War For Cyberton mainly as an exmaple.

What I do like about Mechtech. Is that it made me feel like getting the DOTM toys. It gave that weapons interchangeaility feel you get from a FPS.
And, it gave me that feeling that it coincided well with the X-box DOTM game.

Now, were probably going to get some figures when we get a sequel to War For Cybertron. It really got me thinking about how much better they could have been with mechtech type weapons.

For one, it would have given Hasbro an excuse to give us accessories based on the game and market it as a selling point. The other reason is this. I think Optimus was the one figure that had the most playability. IMO.

Why?

He had two pegs for stowing weapons on his back in robot mode. Pegs to put weapons on his forearms as well as his fists. And, if that wasn't enough. If you push his fists inside. He can have weapons that have pegs on their back. Fit inside in a fashion that is simalir to how weapons just attach to the arms.
I felt, like I was taken into the game when I first played with him. And really giving him some of the mechtech guns felt like a given. Taking how you could pretty much give him 7 guns. To use. Or 3 guns like in most modern day shooters.

But then you get the disapointment that none of this can be done with Bumblebee, Megatron, or Soundwave. Sure Bumblebee and Soundwave can hold weapons. But theres nowhere to store extras. And, really it feels pretty boring to get a dinky pistol for Bumblebee. When he gets this cool spinning BFG that becomes an extension of his arm (which the dinky pistol is based on).

The other reason namely, is Megatron's fusion cannon. There was so much potential right there. Considering how the cannon actually transformed from a tank turret to an arm cannon in the game. We could have gotten a retooled autobot hovertank figure. As a good supplement down the road. Beyond that if the cannon wasn't gang molded to the toy. They could have re-released it as an extra weapon in Autobot colors. I love how the cannon mounts onto Megatron's arm. But it was just awesome how in the game larger bots could use the fusion cannon.

But, if your going to have cross compatiblity. Your BFG should have a neat gimmick that "MEANS" something. And this is where I feel making it have a mechtech gimmick would have been better than a firing misslile.

I really, really, loved how the tip of the cannon opens up when firing in the game. As if it's delivering a huge weapons payload. I'm wondering if we could have gotten a gimmick like that instead. It would probably be costly on a weapon that size. But, I'd have rather have had a simulation of the weapon firing at the push of a button. To a missile gimmick. We get missle gimmicks in droves. And, they feel redundant. Plus, the Fusion cannon should have sales potential in itself. It's the BFG of the Transformers when you think of it. Being able to get Megatron and knowing Optimus and Soundwave can also use it? Thats really FTW in my opinion. Despite the fact that it neuters the uniqueness of the weapon...

Also, i'd love it if we ever get Thunderwing re-released in a two pack (with lets say a Generations Nightbeat) for him to come with a Cyclone cannon that has a spinning chaingun gimmick. Sort of like Cybertron Galvy's machine gun.

I really like the idea of weapons that do something. I feel it adds playability. And, I think we could get some neat stuff down the road.

Edited by MonsterFromMars, 05 October 2011 - 12:52 AM.

#14 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25676 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:46 AM

Huge guns rule, keep them.

I am what I am.

#15 Freddycon

Freddycon
  • Citizen
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

Lose 'em. Too many of the guns I've seen have no appeal to me whatsoever, and the spring-loaded change gommick is an annoyance and 1/2! The guns really only look good when deployed and not everyone can open them up safely without losing a vital piece in the carpet or down a heating duct.

Plus some of the gimmicks are just sheer crap, IMO. I mean, look at Barricade's weapon, cool looking gun, but mech-tech it and you have a bad imitation of Wolverine! And the claws won't even stay deployed! Can you imagine him facing off with Bumblebee and trying to fight like that? "Errg, out of ammo! Take THIS Autobot scum!" *snikt!* half a moment later after Bee whips out his weapon, Barricade aims, and the claws snap back *Snakt!* "...oh, scrap!"

#16 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 41393 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

Again; whatever MechTech adds in playability, coolness and variety, its not worth reducing the size of a Deluxe for.

#17 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 12508 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Oct 4 2011, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huge guns rule, keep them.

Yes they do. Huge hunks of plastic that have "barrels" pop out do not. Makes me long for the days of the "guns" that came with Alternators.

Spend the development cost on the figure, not a gob of petroleum product that gets pitched in a cardboard box please.

I'd vote No, but there's no poll...

Back to basics

#18 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2789 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

I just want them to keep making 5mm post weapons. I don't care what gimmick the weapons have, just keep the toys having c-clips and 5mm posts. Specific gimmickery can come and go, but those interactivity and compatibility aspects NEED to stay. Please don't go back to having no weapons the same size!

(Or go back to having no weapons. I love guns.)

--Andrew S.

#19 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 7132 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

Absolutely not. They're absolutely useless, ungainly peices of junk which shouldn't have been included in the first place. Mechtech was the only downside to the DotM Voyager Megatron mold, since the cannon looked like crap, would never stay extended, and had no way of remaining stable on the robot mode's arm. And yes, I know that apparently you need to twist part of the Mechtech weapons to get them to stay extended, but that's a load of crap since it's clearly not designed to do that.

Mechtech- what a way to waste plastic.

#20 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25676 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

Yes they do. Huge hunks of plastic that have "barrels" pop out do not

I said what I said. They're cool.

I am what I am.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic