32 replies to this topic

#21 Boltax

Boltax

Accidentally cut out Way...

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Nov 21 2011, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As cool as all of this is I got the most excited when I saw that Space Police set with the cell in the background. I loved that set as a kid.

It is pretty freakin' awesome.

--Andrew S.

#22 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Okay, this room is the first based directly on the Transformers cartoon. Remember the huge tower and launch platform from the Decepticon undersea base in the cartoon? This is based on that.

The room is huge and vaulting, but there's not an enormous amount of room inside for other figures than just the one being launched. You can stand at least one up there on the side, but it's fiddly to get anyone in there. The thing is really huge in part so I can put much bigger figures, like my Straxus figures, on there.

--Andrew S.

#23 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

Okay, I decided to hide some features on the next level of the Space Bridge. There's four hidden, I guess, closets on the... wow... the 6th level.

There's a couple of things in each closet, which you can see. Socks, a broom, and of course a Matrix (a badly built one), and finally of course a robotto possum!

The robotto possum hidden in the closet was one of my favourite features to build on the entire Space Bridge tower.

I also added some hidden guns! These took forever to build right without them constantly breaking.

--Andrew S.

Edited by Boltax, 21 November 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#24 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Here's Megatron's throne room. The throne room is huge and comprises levels 6 and 7 of the base. The seventh floor has two other rooms that sorta look into the throne room, and another room that's part of the throne room's roof.

Anyway, the throne room is huge.

Despite the size of the actual interior room, the door actually only covers the entrance which is about as high as level 6.

Okay, so this is some more shots of the throne room so you can see all the collums and things, and how high the roof is. The room contains the throne, which is designed after a Decepticon insignia using some of my only purple LEGO.

I only have purple LEGO from my Harry Potter bus set, and a little bit from some of the Alien Conquest sets. You better believe I've used nearly all of it on this set.

Because of the size of the throne room you can fit a crapload of Decepticons in there.

--Andrew S.

#25 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Okay, so these rooms look onto the throne room. I haven't made the accessories thing here removeable so you can fill the galleries with figures... but looking at these photos I think that's something I'm going to redo.

Anyway, yeah, this is the weapons room. See? Soundwave is double-wielding a sword and an ax.

Okay... so you can see that as well as the gap to the throne room there's a weird brown wall with a gap in it -- that's part of the tank launcher for the base. We'll talk about that later.

Anyway, the little energy generator I built for a much earlier level, but it didn't really work, so I saved it and used it here. It's pretty removeable if you just want to fill this area with Decepticons.

--Andrew S.

#26 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

So if you've been following my builds you might have been wondering, "Why is he building all these mini-figure tanks?" Well, the reason is simple -- I built a tank launcher into the base.

The launcher is... not perfect. I feel like I may eventually try and redesign it from scratch. But it basically works. You can shoot out a little tank from the tower, which is a lot of fun.

I built a generic TF tank not based on anyone to be the default little tank used by the launcher, so anyone trying to work out who the tank is in these photos? It's no one. Just a generic.

--Andrew S.

#27 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Okay, we've reached the... 13th room of the space bridge tower, all the way up on the 8th floor of the base. Because the base actually gets larger at the top, rather than smaller there's three rooms on this level. This is the smaller of the rooms -- just a little platform with a generic Perlin-esque Decepticon hanging around on it, nothing more.

The 14th room of the tower uses a bunch of bus parts for the inner wall. This is basically just a security station, which allows you to look through into the next room and see who's there. The next room is a prison cell.

The floor here is removeable, just like on a lot of the lower levels, returning to that basic design after not using it for a few floors.

This is the last of the real rooms on the base. It's a jail cell. Once more it's removeable and I tried to design it to look different to your standard jail cell.

--Andrew S.

#28 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

This isn't really a room as such so much as a trap. Basically it's just a trap door. I love trap doors. This trap door piece is one of my favourite LEGO pieces I've ever gotten. Very awesome.

The trap door feeds directly into the prison below, which is one of the reason the prison room is designed to be so open.

Anyway... we're just about done, so why don't we wrap this thing up?

So in the comics the Space Bridge isn't just a bridge... it's a dude! It's a neutral scientist named Spanner:
http://tfwiki.net/wi...ki/Spanner_(G1)

So part of what I'm doing with this set is building in a certain amount of transformation. So here you have Spanner's hand!

--Andrew S.

#29 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well it's been a while, but I've gotten a second tower built on this thing (And rebuilt a bunch of stuff from the first tower) so let's do an update on this thread shall we?

Because of the sheer scale of the thing I've had to build it to be pretty modular, so you can take it apart for storage or transport, and then put it back together for a more finished display. So anyway, this is just a photograph of the bridge's first two towers in their 'unassembled' state.

So after that here's a photo-montage of me putting the various pieces of the space bridge together, ending with a full picture of the assembled space bridge.

As you can see it's still not even close to finished. For one thing it's just the main arch of one half of the hugin' bridge. Conceivably I'd have to built two more towers the exact same size just to have the middle section of the bridge built! Yikes!

Anyway, most of the assembly stages are self-explanatory based on the pictures, so I won't go into detail. the final assembled shot shows you context of the size of the thing -- the toy standing on top of the tower is Swindle, a deluxe sized toy from the latest Bruticus version.

--Andrew S.

#30 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

One of the parts of the Space Bridge I always wanted to capture was the energy and teleportation aspect. It was really important to the story of the space bridge, but I really wasn't sure how I was going to do it.

In the end I installed a LEGO light brick to simulate the teleportation arch which is what you travel through to get to another place in the universe. I'm pretty pleased with it.

So following that, here's the first part of Spanner's transformation. This is actually my third build for an arm transformation of Spanner. The first build is already posted in this thread, I don't have any photos of the second build, though.

This third build reduces Spanner's finger count from the first build, and goes back to using Kre-O pieces for his hand from the LEGO pieces I used for the second build.

This isn't finished, I don't think. I used Technic to build his forearm and it's worked out pretty well, but I'm still using the basic casing for the arm to come out of, from the second build and it doesn't quite fit any more, so I'm going to have to rework that.

What's next?

I think these photos a pretty self-explanitory! It's just the folding out chest section and the folding out head of Spanner himself. I think it's turned out pretty well, actually.

--Andrew S.

#31 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Okay, so that's the fully assembled (but incomplete) Space Bridge... how about we look at some of the embedded features of the thing, next?

So you open up the top of the second tower and inside is a play area -- a gladiatorial arena!

Gladiatorial games and arenas have been part of Transformers lore since the 1980s (especially with the story, "State games"), so having one in my Space Bridge was very important to me.

The whole thing is built around the idea of it all opening up. Used a lot of huge Character Building smooth plates to build this one.

In the photos above you can see the playbill and the score card for the arena. You can actually fold up the arena with most of the Kreons inside -- the only area you can't keep a character stored is in the actual gladiatorial pit itself.

The next area underneath the gladiatorial arena is also really special:

The Dancitron! Woo! How about we get some more detail shots of what's going on inside?

There's a dance floor, some lights on the walls, a bar and of course a little stage.

I also built a Dancitron speaker-system thingie that's designed to have an Autobot strung up to it! Woo!

The set of photos above is showing a feature of the Dancitron that doesn't really show up very well on camera -- or rather I'm not a good enough photographer to capture it.

I built a light brick into one of the supporting columns of this floor, and the light brick sits on two turntable pieces. This allows you to turn the brick as you light it up, letting you create a disco strobe effect inside the Dancitron.

Just for fun let's finished up with some pictures of the Dancitron being a bit more populated. And yes, the entire thing can close up with all those Kreons inside.

--Andrew S.

#32 Boltax

Boltax

• Citizen
  • 2908 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

So one of my favourite sequences in Simon Furman's run on the US Marvel comics is when Bludgeon chooses to go to Klo by shoving his sword in a map. This entire section of the bridge is devoted to that scene -- from the design based on the Autobot ship Bludgeon was riding in... to the map table... to Bludgeon's little blue chair.

This is also me experimenting with custom stickers. note to self -- in future cut them out with a Stanley knife not scissors.

Oh yeah, and there's something inside the door to Bludgeon's ship, isn't there?

It's Ratbat! Woo! Ratbat!

--Andrew S.

#33 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28934 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Including Dancitron was awesome. I can hear "Cold Slither" now icon-hotrod.gif

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users