#2 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10699 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Like the painterly coloring.

Hate the atrociously messy linework.

Wish I could tell who more of the flying bots were. (See the above.)

Like seeing Prime call on Silverbolt as his go-to flier.

Cliffjumper's about to taste his own medicine.

-ZacWilliam, if they kill Sky Dive, Cosmos, or Omega gonna be pissed...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 19 September 2011 - 10:15 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

Now put em in Smash Bros!

• Supporter
  • 5060 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

I know the general opinion is "Costa = not enough talking", but hot damn was Cliffjumper chattering like hell in those last few panels.

I think some narration boxes and/or sound effects would help the art flow a bit better.

Edited by Confuzor, 20 September 2011 - 12:54 AM.

#4 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

That preview is one of the tightest things Costa has written yet.

Ironically accompanied by some of the loosest art.

#5 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11584 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

I really like the art. I wouldn't like it all the time, but for an arc? Yeah, it's lovely, and adds a nice otherworldly feel.

The concept of these few pages is actually pretty good - Kimia turns into a massive space gun, and the Autobots are launching an all out offensive with all the arial troops at their disposal? Awesome. If only the reason for the Decepticons stealing it made a damned lick of sense.

I was going to call out IDW for another random model change, but Silverbolt hasn't actually been seen since he was mentioned as coming to Earth has he? A new look/altmode isn't unreasonable in that case.

Phazer

Edited by The Phazer, 21 September 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10699 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

Ok, inspired by my son's I-Spy books I'm gonna see who I can pick out here...

Page 1:
Ok, Prime, Obviously.
Rodimus
Drift
Really Ugly Cliffjumper
Really Ugly Sunstreaker
and I guess Ironhide (going by the colorscheme in the later panels alone)?
So I'm gonna guess ? #1 to the Left and #2 to the back are supposed to be Silverbolt and Trailbreaker, since they get bit parts further on. Really, otherwise, art-wise those could be anyone.

Page 2:
So, I'm assuming that jumble of parts in the corner is Drift. Can't tell what's supposed to be going on wiith him, but I recognize a few body parts.
That's Silverbolt big in the middle I guess.
The two red A-10s have me a bit puzzled: Powerglide is outsourcing.
Sandstorm
Tracks
Cosmos
Skydive
Then it's random guess "Supposed tp be Aerialbots?" theater, including one that looks like old-style concorde SB.

Page 3: Gah, wobbly doofy heads... and mismatched partner theater should be entertaining at least.

Page 4: For some reason I find Trailbreaker's awkward stance here kinda funny. Ugh his head though.

Page 5: So Silverbolt and Sky Dive take out a Sweep is what I decode here after a short examination. Though only SB gets any credit for it. Sky Dive: "Thanks Rod, love you too."

Page 6: Soooo Wow, that's a lot of bots come out of nowhere. I note what's either Fireflight drawn like Sky Dive or Sky Dive colored like Fireflight. and of course Cosmos, Powerglide, and Sandstorm again. The rest appear to be random geometric shapes that have suddenly ascended from flatland and joined the fight...

Page 7: Tracks again (who is a cute inclusion) and more of the above...

-ZacWilliam, on the plus, I'll likely be reading through the issue multiple times, to try and decifer the art if no other reason...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 20 September 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#7 G1MarvelBlaster

G1MarvelBlaster

Give me coffee!

• Citizen
  • 255 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

I think the painterly art works much better for this issue then it does in #24. I love the splash of all the flyers heading to orbit. I just wish I could recognize more of them (I'm terrible at alt-modes). I only knew Tracks, Springer & Powerglide. Anyone want to take a stab at the rest of 'em? I presume it's the Aerialbots due to Silverbolt being explicitly ordered but unsure.

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10699 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(G1MarvelBlaster @ Sep 20 2011, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the painterly art works much better for this issue then it does in #24. I love the splash of all the flyers heading to orbit. I just wish I could recognize more of them (I'm terrible at alt-modes). I only knew Tracks, Springer & Powerglide. Anyone want to take a stab at the rest of 'em? I presume it's the Aerialbots due to Silverbolt being explicitly ordered but unsure.

1) Springer's not there. You're seeing Sandstorm.

2) I think I already identified all the fliers possible in the post above...

-ZacWilliam, the rest are pretty much generic shapes...

#9 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 5675 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

For some reason, each time I try to load the preview in AOL Explorer, the browser quits on me. I'll try again later with Firefox, but this talk is giving me some hope that the issue will be a little better than #24.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.

#10 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19983 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Silverbolt's got some UT Excessive Toy Accuracy Syndrome going.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#11 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4743 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Sep 20 2011, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silverbolt's got some UT Excessive Toy Accuracy Syndrome going.

His entire robot mode isn't shown hanging under is plane, is it?
On them twitters

#12 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 5675 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Saw the preview in Firefox. Liked it.

Read the issue today. Good heavens, that's an improvement.

Say what you want, but the action is significantly more fast-paced. Stuff is happening right in front of us, and while I'm not thrilled about everything I'm seeing, my attention is caught.

One niggling little thing, though - D'Void. We've yet to see him in the main series. Was he some delusion of Galvatron's, or what? Because if HoD was some crazy story from Galvy's perspective, then I can forgive the continuity issues.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.

#13 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10699 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hmmm... Wonder how close to store date Barnes and Nobles is getting the issues now. Not too much chance of getting to a comic store, but I might have a shot at B & N.

ZacWilliam, I could buy it digitally and read it right now, but IDW seems to now be going for 3.99 new digital vs. $1.99 old. I could justify digital at the cheaper old price when all were $1.99, but now that they've bumped new digital to the INSANE $3.99 price tag. Forget it.

#14 Wildwade

Wildwade
  • Citizen
  • 1415 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Remember how Mike Costa assured people that the Autobots still on Kimia would be addressed?

Well, they get addressed in this issue.

Le sigh.

#15 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 5675 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(Wildwade @ Sep 21 2011, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember how Mike Costa assured people that the Autobots still on Kimia would be addressed?

Well, they get addressed in this issue.

Le sigh.

Yeah, I think our hopes to see Computron as the first Autobot combiner in this continuity have been permanently dashed. Sucks, that.
William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...

#16 Real Money

Real Money
  • Citizen
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

I don't think a $3.99 price tag for digital distribution is that bad. If 2 dollars make you reconsider the whole thing, maybe sticking to the paper issues is a good idea. I think paying the extra 2 dollars, saving the gas/CO2, and avoiding the pain of dealing with the weirdos at the comic book shop is worth every penny.

Besides, with the US dollar being worth almost nothing these days, that's about 300 yen for me; less than a coffee. Certainly enough for some well-drawn & coloured entertainment.
Sent from my iPad

#17 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10699 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE(Real Money @ Sep 23 2011, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think a $3.99 price tag for digital distribution is that bad. If 2 dollars make you reconsider the whole thing, maybe sticking to the paper issues is a good idea. I think paying the extra 2 dollars, saving the gas/CO2, and avoiding the pain of dealing with the weirdos at the comic book shop is worth every penny.

Besides, with the US dollar being worth almost nothing these days, that's about 300 yen for me; less than a coffee. Certainly enough for some well-drawn & coloured entertainment.

Sorry but comics are just way too breif for that. Even the best single issue is only really a brief pamphlet, a few minutes read. 20 - 25 odd pages. For the $1 they were when I started collecting that's fine. For 1.99 even that's fine. For 2.99 you start saying, that's a bit pricey there eh? For $3.99 basically $4 that's really a high price.

Then you take away getting an actual physical thing out of the picture? Sorry but a digital peek is not worth the same to me as a real physical object I can take places and hold on to regardless of electronic ephemera. 1.99 is my cut off for digital comics, and I think $1 would be more appropriate.

-ZacWilliam, considering the high price of comics has almost always been blamed on paper costs...

#18 Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus
  • Citizen
  • 4141 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Sep 23 2011, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Real Money @ Sep 23 2011, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry but comics are just way too breif for that. Even the best single issue is only really a brief pamphlet, a few minutes read. 20 - 25 odd pages. For the $1 they were when I started collecting that's fine. For 1.99 even that's fine. For 2.99 you start saying, that's a bit pricey there eh? For $3.99 basically $4 that's really a high price.

Then you take away getting an actual physical thing out of the picture? Sorry but a digital peek is not worth the same to me as a real physical object I can take places and hold on to regardless of electronic ephemera. 1.99 is my cut off for digital comics, and I think $1 would be more appropriate.

-ZacWilliam, considering the high price of comics has almost always been blamed on paper costs...

When I started buying them digitally I thought "Wow 1.99 seems kind of cheap. I wish I could give them more money". I guess I got that wish.
Although, I hope it stays as only being for new issues. Buying backwards at the price would be a pain.
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2564-4662

#19 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 8502 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

I'd starting to think about doing the digital thing, but making them the same price (and don't give me that embedded costs crap) totally takes away most of the incentive to go digital.

#20 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6517 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

It offsets the fiscal rape of the comic book retailer, of course.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users