Photo
- - - - -

MLP Games Thread

536 replies to this topic

#1 MyLittleEmpath

MyLittleEmpath

Don't worry. Ponies will make it all better.

• Supporter
  • 1428 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

The intent of this thread is to discuss any games related to MLP, whether they be official or fan-made. The reason I'm starting this now is because I was inspired to do so by Sobana's thread regarding his/her RPG "Maidens of Twilight", and then remembered that I'm still in the process of building a FiM-based level for Knytt Stories.

Anyhow, to anypony who has any experience playing Knytt Stories, this is a sample of my recent work (just ignore the intro--I'm going to fill out the story eventually, but I didn't really feel like doing it yet, so the intro doesn't really make a lot of sense). It has nothing to do with MLP, but I was hoping somepony might be willing to play through it and let me know if the length and difficulty level should be changed for an MLP level. Mostly, I just need a benchmark to use for comparison's sake.

Now, on to other FiM games. Anyone seen anything new or promising recently?

Edited by MyLittleEmpath, 08 September 2011 - 01:42 PM.

FREE CUSTOM PONIES!!
Just PM me whatever specifications you want.

#2 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

There's an official Pony app for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It's basically an interactive storybook about Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight Sparkle, Teacher For A Day

Don't expect the level of writing/voice acting from the show. In fact, it seems to just be just one person reading the story who sounds a bit like Twilight but not quite. Imagine a story from the previous series (G3) set in the FiM universe. It's a bit like that. The art ranges from quite good to very poor. The usual vector art they use in the official merchandise make an appearance, good and bad.

Still, it was only 69p (99c) so if you're starved of Pony fun then this may keep you entertained for a bit. Plus if you have a young child who likes the show they'll probably enjoy it more since it is, after all, made for them.

#3 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20662 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'm sure we've all heard of Mane6's work on Fighting Is Magic.
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#4 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

...but in the event you haven't heard of Fighting is Magic, here's a link: http://www.mane6.com/
And a YouTube channel, including a livestream with lots of Applejack vs. Twilight Sparkle: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManeSixDev

#5 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

It's kind of a shame Fighting Is Magic is already well underway by now, because if it were just getting started right now, having the premise be that Discord has escaped again and turned all the ponies against each other would be just perfect.
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#6 Biff0r

Biff0r
  • Protoform
  • 18 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

Just in case you missed it:

A little demo will be released very soon, we're currently adding a last few things and polish things up icon-hotrod.gif

#7 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 12605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

I have started the SuperGroup "Protectors of Ponygon" on the Exalted server for City of Heroes. Pinkemina (Axe/Willpower scrapper) is my character, and Flutterwry (Mental/Pain Corruptor) will be in it as well. Both heroes, more or less. icon-hotrod.gif Shoot me a tell at @dvandom or PM me on the board here if you want to make a pony character and join up.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#8 Biff0r

Biff0r
  • Protoform
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

Alright, the demo is out icon-hotrod.gif We would really, really appreciate any comments, critiques or kind words, it was a hell of a lot of work up until now, even if it might not look like it.

Check it out on www.manestreamgames.com icon-hotrod.gif

#9 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 473 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Just had a little go on the CMC demo and so far it's looking pretty good. The character animations look great and very smooth. The talking sounded a bit weird at first, although I could see what you were going for (reminded me of Banjo Kazooie). The game did crash on me when I accidentally clicked just outside the window (I was Sweetie Belle at the time).

All in all I'm looking forward to playing the full game. I do enjoy a good point & click icon-hotrod.gif

#10 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

There's a new trailer for Fighting is Magic:

Shows Pinkie, although the trailer is for Twilight.

EDIT: I like how Twi seems to have a "levels of understanding" mechanic by reading her book.

Edited by Matenshi, 02 November 2011 - 04:16 AM.

#11 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Can't wait for that one to hit!

#12 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Anyone else watch tonight's Fighting is Magic livestream? It's looking good. They are working on getting it up on YouTube, so consider this the advance warning bump. I wonder how much will be ready by the end of June (which is to say, this summer's BroNYcon?)

#13 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Sep 8 2011, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I'm starting this now is because I was inspired to do so by Sobana's thread regarding his/her RPG "Maidens of Twilight"

Woah~ I inspired somepony! =D And best yet, somepony remembered the game I made! =D <3 ^.^
Spoiler

#14 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

And Fighting is Magic Livestream II is now on YouTube. Enjoy!

#15 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2368 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

Whoa! Fluttershy's mirror match in the last minute of the third video is Aaaaaaaw... some icon-hotrod.gif.
Can't quite hear Rarity's theme song in her stage. Twilight still has the best song so far.
Feel the FEAR!

#16 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I hope that game has like killer instinct combos where you can get up to 100+ hits if done right.
Spoiler

#17 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

If you watch the videos, they make it quite clear that they aren't going to do that. Which I think is great, because getting infinitely juggled is really no fun for the player on the receiving end. Besides, with the way that successive combo hits get penalized (again, watch the videos) you wouldn't do much more damage anyways.

#18 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(pao @ Feb 26 2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you watch the videos, they make it quite clear that they aren't going to do that. Which I think is great, because getting infinitely juggled is really no fun for the player on the receiving end. Besides, with the way that successive combo hits get penalized (again, watch the videos) you wouldn't do much more damage anyways.

I'm kinda disappointed in that. High end combos, in my option, are still very impressive. They could make it so after so many hits the combo stops doing damage but allows you to keep going just to see how long you can keep it up like a high score or just a cool visual effect. Like in killer instinct, you couldn't do the same combo over and over again, the opponent would move out of range, requiring you to switch to a different one to keep it up, making any combos past 20 very difficult.

Say, is there an official forum site for this game?
Spoiler

#19 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

No. There's their website, their Twitter feed, and an unofficial subreddit. They figure a forum would devolve into FAQs and would take them away from actually working on the game, which I think is quite reasonable.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the combos. I think they're smart to keep the game accessible for fighting game n00bs such as myself, while keeping it interesting for people who know what they are doing. Multi-dozen hit combos don't seem out of reach, in any case, particularly with moves like Rarity's level 3 super.

#20 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

For me, fighting games sparkle the most with flashy and complex fighting styles. Being able to throw your opponent and dance around the screen is something I enjoy seeing. It gets rather boring just spamming the punch button like a rockem' shockem' robot until someone loses. Do you know if they will have any finishing moves?
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users